• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

Tabris

PK Subban deserves to be on that list ahead of 3 players. Shea Weber is the best d-man in the league though, and has been for years. I guarantee you if he was in a larger market on a better team he would be getting the recognition he deserves. He's been robbed on so many Norris finalist votes. They focus too much on how much offensive production the defensive player makes, and Weber has Roman Josi who handles a lot of the offensive production from blue line.

zroid

Banned
Vlasic is really, really good, honestly the only guy of the four who is out of place is Weber. Hockey Canada still thinks it's 2010 unfortunately.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm sure some people somewhere agree with you guys. Too bad none of them have anything to do with professional hockey in any capacity.
I forgot, posters on Neogaf were the ones who voted for PK to win a Norris.

Tabris

Stop reading stat lines and look into the actual play.

Roman Josi couldn't do what he does without Shea Weber.

Red_Man

Excellent defensemen win the Norris.

Excellent defensemen are not defined by whether they have or haven't won the Norris.
If you honestly don't think Subban is the best Canadian defenseman, let alone in the top 6, there's no need to continue this. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Karlsson - Subban are 1 - 2 in the world and have the stats to back it up. Just because some old guys who thought Kunitz was a good addition to the Olympic team are unable to see that doesn't validate you.

calder

Shea Weber does not belong on this team at all period, but it's no surprise at all. He is exactly the sort of player who gets overvalued by hockey types (and fans) and then has his decline ignored for years.

Vlasic? Meh we know that hockey Canada really really really cares about handedness on its teams and while I would 10000% take PK over vlasic or Weber it's tough to argue too much when the brain trust is coming off the most dominating best on best tournament win maybe ever.

And now we're getting silly.

Nope, It's the Truth.

dhwY9dd.png

Yawnier

Banned
It scares me that some people still think that Weber is the best or one of the best defencemen in the league. He's not even a top 5 defencemen anymore, probably not in the top 10 either.

But DAT grit and veteran leadership.

Red_Man

Shea Weber does not belong on this team at all period, but it's no surprise at all. He is exactly the sort of player who gets overvalued by hockey types (and fans) and then has his decline ignored for years.

Vlasic? Meh we know that hockey Canada really really really cares about handedness on its teams and while I would 10000% take PK over vlasic or Weber it's tough to argue too much when the brain trust is coming off the most dominating best on best tournament win maybe ever.
Canada suffers from an embarrassment of riches, they could put out a 2nd or 3rd tier roster and still compete for gold. They won't wise up until they get upset.

Tabris

If you honestly don't think Subban is the best Canadian defenseman, let alone in the top 6, there's no need to continue this. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Karlsson - Subban are 1 - 2 in the world and have the stats to back it up. Just because some old guys who thought Kunitz was a good addition to the Olympic team are unable to see that doesn't validate you.

There's more to being a defensemen then offence. I do think those two would be in top 6 in the world for sure, maybe top 4 - but they aren't shutting down players the same way a Shea Weber can. And Duncan Keith probably is a better balanced on both ends then those two.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, to expand on what I was saying before about JT Miller basically being a lock, Team North America has been scouting him all season, and all indications over the last month or two were that he was going to make the team. Peter Chiarelli in particular is apparently super high on him and loves the physical edge he brings to his game, and it has not gone unnoticed that JT has been for all intents and purposes the best forward on a Stanley Cup contending team for the past 2-3 months. You can't say the same about anybody else on that 16 man roster, except for maybe Dylan Larkin (depending on how highly you rate the Red Wings' odds at the Cup).

LevelNth

Banned
There's more to being a defensemen then offence. I do think those two would be in top 6 in the world for sure, maybe top 4 - but they aren't shutting down players the same way a Shea Weber can. And Duncan Keith probably is a better balanced on both ends then those two.
Tabris, didn't you know? Stat lines, analytics and checking a player's date of birth to make sure he's under 28 are all you need to gauge who's good and who's not nowadays.

iLLmAtlc

Thing about Shea Weber is he looks exactly like what you think great defence should be. Big body, tough as nails, and super hard shot. Probably influences how you value him.

imBask

Banned
It's not a 'no shit'. Vlasic is very good, arguably better than Subban. There's an argument to be made that too much emphasis is placed on offensive production in cases like Subban. Though he's certainly effective at D because of his puck possession.

i'm not saying Vlasic is bad in any way, but Subban should be there IMO

The decision was made either because of racism or an irrational love of pickles

zroid

Banned

I don't really want to get onto this but long story short, Weber is very overrated because he does a handful of things extremely well -- namely pressuring at the blueline and keeping shots to the outside. Both of these skills are valuable, however his shortcomings make his overall game suffer.

It's not really about overvaluing offence, Weber is actually quite good offensively. The problem is that he is poor at exiting the zone with control and gaining control of the puck in the defensive zone. The result is he gets repeatedly hemmed into his own end instead of tilting the ice like actual elite defencemen do, such as Subban, Doughty, etc.

The mistake people make is they see him "playing defence" a lot, and he does it pretty well, but if you aren't adept at turning the key and converting defence into offence then it's useless.

Socreges

Banned
i'm not saying Vlasic is bad in any way, but Subban should be there IMO

The decision was made either because of racism or an irrational love of pickles
I don't disagree. Subban over Weber, no question. But national teams are always inclined to go with big names who have delivered at that level before, unless they've seriously regressed.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see Step make the initial cut. I was pretty sure he'd make the team but thought he might not be until the second round.

Red_Man

Justin Abdelkader?

:lol :lol

The mistake people make is they see him "playing defence" a lot, and he does it pretty well, but if you aren't adept at turning the key and converting defence into offence then it's useless.
The same shit that Giradi benefits from, he can't move the puck so he has to defend so much more than other guys, and that's why he has his "shut down defensemen" rep even though he's just not good.

In a tournament like this, you need guys who can get the puck from the D zone to the forwards ASAP.

eyeless

it's weird to look forward to leaf games

the kids didn't look out of place against tb but i have a feeling they are going to have a hard time against washington, i appreciate not putting grabner on willie's line but an all ahl line in their second game against arguably the best team in the league, seems like a recipe for a bad time

will certainly give them a taste of what the nhl's all about though

I'd say handedness is a reason for the selections. Doughty, Weber, and Subban are all RHD. Vlasic and Keith are LHD.

I agree that Weber has benefited from playing with two Olympic-level defencemen in the NHL (Suter and Josi), but it's still an embarrassment of riches on Canada's blueline.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
it's weird to look forward to leaf games

the kids didn't look out of place against tb but i have a feeling they are going to have a hard time against washington, i appreciate not putting grabner on willie's line but an all ahl line in their second game against arguably the best team in the league, seems like a recipe for a bad time

will certainly give them a taste of what the nhl's all about though

im happy it seems they're keeping the same lines as the way they ended last game

the all marlies line was absolutely great

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Tabris, didn't you know? Stat lines, analytics and checking a player's date of birth to make sure he's under 28 are all you need to gauge who's good and who's not nowadays.

You're right. Instead we should look at blocked shots, hits, and ability to grow a manly beard over all else.

I don't really want to get onto this but long story short, Weber is very overrated because he does a handful of things extremely well -- namely pressuring at the blueline and keeping shots to the outside. Both of these skills are valuable, however his shortcomings make his overall game suffer.

It's not really about overvaluing offence, Weber is actually quite good offensively. The problem is that he is poor at exiting the zone with control and gaining control of the puck in the defensive zone. The result is he gets repeatedly hemmed into his own end instead of tilting the ice like actual elite defencemen do, such as Subban, Doughty, etc.

posts like this remind me I have a lot to learn about this game

Top Bottom