• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

I had a Gamecube.

... yeah

and of course the old brick style Gameboy.
the list of things ive owned is extensive

Atari 5200
NES
SNES
Genesis
Game Boy
Game Gear
Game Boy Color
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Playstation
Game Boy Advance
N64
Playstation 2
Playstation Portable
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Wii
Playstation Vita
3DS
Playstation 4
Wii U

Microsoft lost me with the xbox one, and the wii u and 3DS have been killing nintendo for me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
the list of things ive owned is extensive

Atari 5200
NES
SNES
Genesis
Game Boy
Game Gear
Game Boy Color
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Playstation
Game Boy Advance
N64
Playstation 2
Playstation Portable
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Wii
Playstation Vita
3DS
Playstation 4
Wii U

Microsoft lost me with the xbox one, and the wii u and 3DS have been killing nintendo for me.

look at you moneybag, probably live in Alberta don't you.

probably have cable too, scumbag

look at you moneybag, probably live in Alberta don't you.

probably have cable too, scumbag
I live in pittsburgh, where we all like
a5.png

and game primarily on PC
i dont have cable though

I was listening to the PDOcast today and they were talking about the NHL draft lottery system and how it could be improved to discourage tanking and it got me thinking about some realistic ideas for what they could do.

One idea I had was to have the top 5 picks be lottery based and have ALL non playoff teams have the same odds for all picks.

Or have tiered odds for lottery picks so the bottom 5 have the same odds, next 5 have the same and then the top 4 have the same.

zroid

Banned
I was listening to the PDOcast today and they were talking about the NHL draft lottery system and how it could be improved to discourage tanking and it got me thinking about some realistic ideas for what they could do.

One idea I had was to have the top 5 picks be lottery based and have ALL non playoff teams have the same odds for all picks.

Or have tiered odds for lottery picks so the bottom 5 have the same odds, next 5 have the same and then the top 4 have the same.

I don't feel that tanking is necessarily something which should be stopped, but it becomes more of a problem when you have teams that repeatedly bottom out for several years and keep getting rewarded with high picks. Oilers, Sabres, and Panthers, among others are all guilty of this.

There should be a system where having a higher pick in the previous draft negatively impacts your odds of picking highly again, regardless of standings. And if you draft 1st overall then you can't pick 1st overall again for a few years. Something like that.

You could make the case that the lottery is already fixed by he new format. There are bad teams this year, but none as bad as Buffalo, Edmonton or Arizona were last year.

I don't feel that tanking is necessarily something which should be stopped, but it becomes more of a problem when you have teams that repeatedly bottom out for several years and keep getting rewarded with high picks. Oilers, Sabres, and Panthers, among others are all guilty of this.

There should be a system where having a higher pick in the previous draft negatively impacts your odds of picking highly again, regardless of standings. And if you draft 1st overall then you can't pick 1st overall again for a few years. Something like that.

Yeah I personally don't think tanking is such a bad thing but surely the league does.

Basing your odds on last years pick is a good idea. The salt from Oiler fans could be palpable though.

zroid

Banned
You could make the case that the lottery is already fixed by he new format. There are bad teams this year, but none as bad as Buffalo, Edmonton or Arizona were last year.

To an extent, but last year was definitely anomalous in the talent available at the top of the draft. That doesn't happen often anyway.

Yeah I personally don't think tanking is such a bad thing but surely the league does.

Basing your odds on last years pick is a good idea. The salt from Oiler fans could be palpable though.

Yeah, it just looks worse for the league when you have the same teams finishing at the bottom every year, and they keep hoarding the top picks, in turn. It defeats the concept of parity. If the teams picking at the top keep cycling then that's more in line with what the league wants.

Marvie_3

Banned
I wonder what the console looks like. because isn't there supposed to be an NX Portable and Console? Maybe this is the portable we're seeing now. Unless.... this is the console....
Thats what I was thinking too. Looks more like a portable to me but who knows at this point.

Yawnier

Banned
I don't think Nintendo will ever have a system near the Wii's popularity again.

I don't think that is an outlandish thing to say but same

It was like the perfect storm, and it seemed like everyone and their grandma and family dog knew what it was and talked it.

That controller looks like something Sony would've made in 2005/6. I am confused.

To an extent, but last year was definitely anomalous in the talent available at the top of the draft. That doesn't happen often anyway.

True! Which makes me think they should run with this format for at least a couple seasons to see how it shakes out.

Socreges

Banned
you mean it wasn't properly revealed today on message boards?

coulda fooled me...
The occasional Nintendo reveal is a sure-fire abomination from Day 1 (eg SMTxFE), but occasionally they do something unusual and once put in context it makes sense. We'll see where this one lands.

Cake Boss

Banned
Pikma I ain't no nuclear rocket scientist. Take that to Carl Sagan.

There are no casuals left in dedicated gaming devices.

I don't think you can say that definitely, no one knew there was such a market till the Wii came out and after that smartphone/tablets. The casual market has a consumer that doesn't know what they want until they see it. you can't design specifically towards reaching that mass market, you just have to get lucky that they catch on something new like motion controls, touchscreen or it could be a remote touchscreen/TV screen or maybe its VR. No one knows.

RE: The NX controller - seems like they're trying to do the Wii U again without feeling like you're holding an iPad. I'll wait for them to reveal it on their terms until I pass judgement.

I don't know, looks better than the gamepad.

calder

I saw a mention of Panda Express online yesterday and it really made me wish that they had locations here. I even went to their website and the menu looked pretty damn good.

Is it any good? I'm not saying "this is the best food ever, shits all over every authentic Chinese restaurants" but as a fast-food joint is it good?

I skipped lunch today and I'm really hungry. :(

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The GamePad had those too at some point, there's no need to make such a big deal
yet

Yeah I remember that, let us hope
that literally everything about that new controller changes, except those shoulder button/scroll wheels.

Cake Boss

Banned
Dreger on Luke Richardson: "I think that Ottawa feels now that they've got to... go to an experienced coach." #Sens

PRAAAIIISSEE ALLLAAHHH AND HIS HOLYNESSS!!

FINALLLY!!

It only took 5 rookie crappy coaches for them to finally realize that experience is needed.

zroid

Banned
Drouin is getting benched for a game in Syracuse because he missed a team meeting :lol

alarm clock troubles, apparently

Top Bottom