• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

zroid

Banned
Really cool article on Soshnikov by Chris Johnston @ Sportsnet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/breaking-barriers-days-work-maple-leafs-soshnikov/

They say smoke is the first thing you’ll see in Nizhny Tagil, the Russian city where Nikita Soshnikov was born and raised.

It is an industrial hub, and it can be a hard place. The largest battle tank manufacturer in the world is based in Tagil, as is one of the country’s most prominent steel plants and eight maximum-security prisons. Factories dot the skyline and residents of the city are more likely to contract lung cancer than those living anywhere else in Russia.

Sitting in the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room earlier this week, Soshnikov is a long way from home. Ten time zones and more than 8,000 kilometres in literal terms.

In a figurative sense? That’s a little tougher to quantify.

Soshnikov perks up after learning that I’ve visited Russia on a couple occasions, immediately wanting to know where. Before I can finish saying “Moscow, Yaroslavl, Mytishchi and Sochi,” he’s chuckling.

“You’ve only been to the nice cities!” he says.

During the lockout that interrupted the 2012-13 NHL season, Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul spent six weeks playing for Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg – the KHL team based closest to where Soshnikov grew up, about a two-hour trip by car – and kept a journal about his experiences abroad.

“Culture shock is putting it mildly,” Lupul wrote in one entry.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The most frustrating part about Therrien potentially staying back is the core of this team is so good they can succeed in spite of him and he could be here for a long time because of this.

Foggy

Well, the BJs/Pens game should be a fun enough shit show. Maybe some Pens salt being spilled can help me get past being so bitter this year. Maybe another fan wearing a camouflage hat can get in a fight with a Pens fan.

Need a Flyera win, in the third period last two minutes. Make sure it's a very tiring physical game too.

I never have any confidence on these Florida trips. If we come out with 2 points I will be happy. 3 would be amazing and I feel that 4 is impossible.

If we beat the Bolts, give us a point..

Foggy

I can just fight you, speed up the whole process

6568-rawautoplay_gifg15s85.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers are getting closer to full strength.

Henrik Lundqvist returns tomorrow against the Red Wings. Additionally, Rick Nash (who, by the way, has been out since before the All Star break) and Marc Staal are set to return assuming they still feel fine in the morning. Derick Brassard has the flu and is not with the team currently but could join them before the game tomorrow in Detroit if he's feeling better.

The lines, assuming everybody is back except for Brassard tomorrow:

Miller-Stepan-Zuccarello
Kreider-Hayes-Fast
Nash-E.Staal-Stalberg
Lindberg-Moore-Glass

McDonagh-Girardi
M.Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein

Lundqvist

Yes, that is a third line of Rick Nash, Eric Staal, and Viktor Stalberg you're seeing there.

Yawnier

Banned
NHL teams with hockey ops reps @SloanSportsConf: PHI, CBJ, WSH, SJS, MIN, TBL, DRW, ARZ, FLA, CGY, NSH, EDM, TML, STL, BOS, ANA, NJD, WPG.

Funny and weird how many smaller market teams send a rep or multiple reps to these conferences while some of the big market teams don't even send one person. No Chicago, New York (both), LA, Montreal, or Vancouver reps.

iLLmAtlc

The Rangers are getting closer to full strength.

Henrik Lundqvist returns tomorrow against the Red Wings. Additionally, Rick Nash (who, by the way, has been out since before the All Star break) and Marc Staal are set to return assuming they still feel fine in the morning. Derick Brassard has the flu and is not with the team currently but could join them before the game tomorrow in Detroit if he's feeling better.

The lines, assuming everybody is back except for Brassard tomorrow:

Miller-Stepan-Zuccarello
Kreider-Hayes-Fast
Nash-E.Staal-Stalberg
Lindberg-Moore-Glass

McDonagh-Girardi
M.Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein

Lundqvist

Yes, that is a third line of Rick Nash, Eric Staal, and Viktor Stalberg you're seeing there.

15 million on the 3rd line
And tanner glass is still playing

fire AV

iLLmAtlc

Lavoie has a screenshot of the arbitrator's decision. It looks like he thought wideman intended to put his hands on the ref, but not intend to hurt him. it's kinda like downgrading it to a shove.

If I'm understanding the decision correctly, that seems kinda inconsistent. How do you intentionally cross check someone, without intending to hurt him?

full decision released:
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/Arbitrator James Oldham decision - Dennis Wideman.pdf

E: ok the decision clears it up. he disagrees that it's a crosscheck. he calls it a push.

I believe this is the key quote

I do not believe that in his concussed state, Wideman could or should have anticipated that his push would cause Henderson to fall and bang his head against the boards sufficiently hard to put Henderson also in a concussed state.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
For those of you playing The Division, how is it? How's the gunplay/open-world implementation? I remember watching a video of it having really weird gun physics... But hearing a lot of people switching from Destiny to it, so... Worth it/10?

imBask

Banned
For those of you playing The Division, how is it? How's the gunplay/open-world implementation? I remember watching a video of it having really weird gun physics... But hearing a lot of people switching from Destiny to it, so... Worth it/10?

hard to say. it's like a weird mix of a bunch of games I enjoyed

it's like Destiny, and somewhat like DayZ but not too much, and somewhat like Borderlands, and somewhat like Watch Dogs

I like it a lot so far, I don't know if i'll play 100h of it, but it'll definitely be worth the money I spent

I'm thinking it'll end up like destiny, i'll drop the game once the DLC start getting pumped out

I ended up ignoring the division even though I enjoyed the beta. Mainly because I just crossed the 100 hour mark on rainbow 6 siege and im still going, and just crossed the 75 hour mark on fire emblem fates, still going

I'm enjoying it, it's not perfect but if the concept is interesting to you then I'd say it's definitely worth it.

iLLmAtlc

isn't bob mccown kinda disgruntled at snet? he was salty that they pushed tim and sid's show over his right?

he's probably jumping to tsn

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
15 million on the 3rd line
And tanner glass is still playing

fire AV

It's only really the "third line" by name only. Two games ago, against the Islanders, the only Rangers forward to get more ice time than Eric Staal was Mats Zuccarello. In our last game against the Sabres, Eric Staal led the Rangers' forwards in ice time. In both cases, he was the 3C.

Basically, third line center Eric Staal is one big fuck you to the rest of the Eastern Conference. :D

And you leave Tanner Glass alone!

Socreges

Banned
Lavoie has a screenshot of the arbitrator's decision. It looks like he thought wideman intended to put his hands on the ref, but not intend to hurt him. it's kinda like downgrading it to a shove.

If I'm understanding the decision correctly, that seems kinda inconsistent. How do you intentionally cross check someone, without intending to hurt him?

full decision released:
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/Arbitrator James Oldham decision - Dennis Wideman.pdf

E: ok the decision clears it up. he disagrees that it's a crosscheck. he calls it a push.

I believe this is the key quote
How anyone could watch the video and come to that conclusion is pretty surprising.

Silexx

isn't bob mccown kinda disgruntled at snet? he was salty that they pushed tim and sid's show over his right?

he's probably jumping to tsn

Pretty sure he was being facetious about that. Never got the impression he was really being serious when he was chirping the Tim and Sid move to TV.

That said, he truly holds no allegiance so if he saw a better offer elsewhere, he would certainly take it. It would be a huge get for TSN if it happened.

iLLmAtlc

How anyone could watch the video and come to that conclusion is pretty surprising.

well fwiw he says he broke it down frame by frame. might look different like that, and with all the angles they have too.

Pretty sure he was being facetious about that. Never got the impression he was really being serious when he was chirping the Tim and Sid move to TV.

That said, he truly holds no allegiance so if he saw a better offer elsewhere, he would certainly take it. It would be a huge get for TSN if it happened.

i think he has some legit salt

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...g-for-new-prime-time-co-host/article26376042/

Top Bottom