• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Montreal actually, which makes that statement even more hilarious.

I have such a hard time retaining info about teams of the east and their fans in this thread. Unless they have a fucking avatar to spell it out for me I usually just guess when their posts have no specific info attached. I'm sure others handle me in the same way, 'Who the fuck is this Sacco prick and why does the space man hate him so much?'

Cake Boss

Banned
Found this quote from Burke a couple of years ago wheb he came in.

"Maybe because of my age, maybe just because I know it doesn't have to be five years because it wasn't in Anaheim."

Regarding the rebuild.

Wow has anybody called him out on this shit when he said it?

First he didnt build Anaheim, Anaheims rebuild started with the drafting of Getzlaf and Perry (2003) and Lupul, Smid etc, by guess who Bryan Murray, he also added undrafted pieces like Penner and Kunitz via free agency and already had Bryzgalof. Also traded for Rob Neidermeyer which was the only the reason Neidermeyer came to Anaheim to win with his brother.

The only shit Burke did for that cup team was add Pronger which he lucked out on when Edmonton was handcuffed by him demanding a trade.

/ rant.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lidstrom's injury is apparently not healing as today he said it's even more sore.

Not good.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Regarding the rebuild.

First he didnt build Anaheim, Anaheims rebuild started with the drafting of Getzlaf and Perry (2003) and Lupul, Smid etc, by guess who Bryan Murray, he also added undrafted pieces like Penner and Kunitz via free agency and already had Bryzgalof. Also traded for Rob Neidermeyer which was the only the reason Neidermeyer came to Anaheim to win with his brother.

The only shit Burke did for that cup team was add Pronger which he lucked out on when Edmonton was handcuffed by him demanding a trade.

/ rant.

Yeah, I dont understand why people aren't eager to rehash 5 year old arguments over who really built that Anaheim team.

/soconfused

Milly79

429974_295443847194779_168311766574655_693732_1529962141_n.jpg

Really? Who the fuck would spend the money on this?

Merguson

Banned
Are we bringing up that argument again?

You know what. I don't see the same argument being made for Ray Shero. Did he bring in Sidney Crosby? Evgeni Malkin? M-A Fleury? or even Brooks Orpik? Players that were part of the cup winning team. (Note. This is more than Bryan Murray's two drafted players)

But no one makes the argument. Because it's retarded. Both BURKE and SHERO brought in pieces that were essential to the cup winning team. Burke could have chosen not to bring in Scott Niedermayer or Chris Pronger. But he did. Same goes for Shero and the pieces he brought in. He could have chosen not to. But he did.

It's a dumb argument. Except if you use Stan Bowman as an example, I suppose.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...-set-deadline-for-potential-coyotes-move.html

BOCA RATON, FLA. -- NHL commissioner Gary Bettman stated there are no contingency schedules being drawn up in case the Phoenix Coyotes will be relocated to Quebec City, Seattle or even Kansas City.

On the final morning of the general manager meetings, Bettman continued his refrain that the prolonged Coyotes sale remains a work in progress. He also said that the league continues to discuss new ownership for the financially challenged club with a few different groups.

The NHL commissioner also refused to set a deadline for when the Coyotes mess has to be settled before the league relocates the franchise.

"At some point we have to and I hope we don't get to that point," Bettman said.

Quebec City remains a strong possibility for relocation of the troubled Coyotes franchise. But an NHL executive cautioned that possible relocation cities for the Coyotes remain a dead heat between Quebec City, Seattle and Kansas City.

Le Colisee de Quebec, the former home of the Nordiques, could provide a temporary setting if the NHL green lights a move to Quebec City for next season. It is expected the rink will be fitted for NHL-specified glass and boards this summer and other refurbishments would be made if the Coyotes move there.

For fuck's sake.

Socreges

Banned

You know what. I don't see the same argument being made for Ray Shero. Did he bring in Sidney Crosby? Evgeni Malkin? M-A Fleury? or even Brooks Orpik? Players that were part of the cup winning team. (Note. This is more than Bryan Murray's two drafted players)

But no one makes the argument. Because it's retarded. Both BURKE and SHERO brought in pieces that were essential to the cup winning team. Burke could have chosen not to bring in Scott Niedermayer or Chris Pronger. But he did. Same goes for Shero and the pieces he brought in. He could have chosen not to. But he did.

Cake Boss only brought it up because Burke was quoted recently saying that he rebuilt Anaheim in two seasons, despite the rebuild already being well under way. 6 of the top 10 scorers for Anaheim in the 06-07 season were there pre-Burke, not to mention JS Giguere (and Bryz) who was probably the main reason why they won the Cup.

Burke does deserve credit for putting the Ducks over the top, but he shouldn't be acting like he did it himself.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Regarding the rebuild.

/ rant.

And you guys get angry whenever the media talks about Toronto. They're only giving you guys what you apparently want.

Toronto Maple Leafs all the time baby!

Socreges

Banned
Does anyone know if TSN2 is going to be showing any playoff games? TSN normally gets the rights to some of the American series, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had simultaneous broadcasts on TSN and TSN2. That'd be awesome.

And you guys get angry whenever the media talks about Toronto. They're only giving you guys what you apparently want.

Toronto Maple Leafs all the time baby!
Everyone loves a good Burke story. Dude knows drama.

So, is tonight the night Daniel Sedin actually does something productive?
Nah.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I honestly don't get his hard-on for Phoenix and I never will.

I think it's just Bettman's ego. He doesn't want this team to fail on his watch.

He saved Pittsburgh (by rigging the draft lottery, am I right Pens fans?) and thinks he can do it with Phoenix.

The problem is that the Phoenix franchise has no history, let alone about 100 other problems that can be listed.

Marvie_3

Banned
lol @ everyone believing Bettman. He said the same shit about Atlanta last year. Seattle and KC are only mentioned to keep the price of the Coyotes high for the sale to QC. Neither of those cities are even close to QC when it comes to ability in taking a team in a hurry.

I honestly don't get his hard-on for Phoenix and I never will.
Glendale built the team a new arena less than 10 years ago. It doesn't help other teams with their stadium negotiations if the NHL bails so soon after getting a new arena no matter what problems the team is having.

Merguson

Banned
Cake Boss only brought it up because Burke was quoted recently saying that he rebuilt Anaheim in two seasons, despite the rebuild already being well under way. 6 of the top 10 scorers for Anaheim in the 06-07 season were there pre-Burke, not to mention JS Giguere (and Bryz) who was probably the main reason why they won the Cup.

Burke does deserve credit for putting the Ducks over the top, but he shouldn't be acting like he did it himself.

Too bad he hasn't acted like he did it himself.

"We felt that if we could get one more elite defenceman that we could get there, and thanks to Bryan Murray, we had the depth to do that," Burke remarked.

"If we didn't have Corey Perry, we don't trade Joffrey Lupul," Burke noted. "It's as simple as that. Bryan gave us the depth to do it. I don't think any other team could have made that deal for Chris Pronger, but we could thanks to Bryan Murray."

Again. Burke has given Murray credit.

Leave the dead horse alone.

EDIT: Plus Giguere was on the Ducks long before Burke or Murray. That doesn't really mean shit.

Gauthier acquired Giguere, Bryzgalov, Pahlsson and McDonald. Why don't we engrave his name on the cup while we're at it?

fallout

Does anyone know if TSN2 is going to be showing any playoff games? TSN normally gets the rights to some of the American series, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had simultaneous broadcasts on TSN and TSN2. That'd be awesome.
They have in previous years, IIRC.

Socreges

Banned
Henrik just called Raymond a "borderline first liner" on most teams. I guess he's trying to build up the guy's confidence, but Jesus.

Too bad he hasn't acted like he did it himself.

Again. Burke has given Murray credit.

Leave the dead horse alone.
My bad. The quote that Cake Boss included reads a lot differently on its own.

[edit] HAH, those quotes are from 2007 after Burke won the Cup.... and Cake's quote is from 2010: "I'm not interested ... in a five-year rebuild like some of these teams have done," said Burke. "Maybe because of my age, maybe just because I know it doesn't have to be five years because it wasn't in Anaheim."

So Burke does sound quite stupid there, as if he doesn't realize how Anaheim had major pieces in place that Toronto didn't.

Socreges

Banned
I'd rather have Raymond on a 1st line than guys like Stalberg and Brunette.
He's got speed and can change direction really quickly when playing along the boards, but he doesn't create anything offensively and is often the death of transition opportunities. Maybe you need to see more of him..... but I also didn't realize that Stalberg and Brunette were getting time on the first line. I guess just because of Toews' injury.

Hahaha, yeah those were some really tough decisions.

Neidermayer fell into his lap because he inherited a team that had his brother on the roster, and Pronger became available for lesser assets because his wife wanted to move somewhere sunny.

All hail the glorious Burke. Fantastic job he's done with the Leafs so far too, hope he keeps it up.

Merguson

Banned
Hahaha, yeah those were some really tough decisions.

Neidermayer fell into his lap because he inherited a team that had his brother on the roster, and Pronger became available for lesser assets because his wife wanted to move somewhere sunny.

All hail the glorious Burke. Fantastic job he's done with the Leafs so far too, hope he keeps it up.

Yes. Making a trade is completely easy. You should go become a NHL GM.

EDIT: You guys want to argue. Fine. Just don't bring back five year old arguments.

Marvie_3

Banned
He's got speed and can change direction really quickly when playing along the boards, but he doesn't create anything offensively and is often the death of transition opportunities. Maybe you need to see more of him..... but I also didn't realize that Stalberg and Brunette were getting time on the first line. I guess just because of Toews' injury.
They've been getting 1st line time all year.......

irncA.gif

SpacLock

BERTUZZI IS BACK!! DATSYUK NEARING RETURN!! (probably like 2 more games)

UUUNNNGGGHHHH I'm creaming all over myself right now.

Once we get Datsyuk and Lidstrom back I'll be one happy dude.

Not expecting a win tonight, but good times are coming. I SEE THE LIGHT

Socreges

Banned
Merguson said:
EDIT: Plus Giguere was on the Ducks long before Burke or Murray. That doesn't really mean shit.

Gauthier acquired Giguere, Bryzgalov, Pahlsson and McDonald. Why don't we engrave his name on the cup while we're at it?
I don't care who acquired them. Point is they were already there.

They've been getting 1st line time all year.......

irncA.gif
10/10 gif use

Socreges

Banned
Kaberle will miss tonight's game as his girlfriend gave birth today, almost 9 months exactly after he won the Stanley Cup. Who wants to bet he knocked up some bar slut and did the right thing?

Razorskin

----- ------
Kaberle will miss tonight's game as his girlfriend gave birth today, almost 9 months exactly after he won the Stanley Cup. Who wants to bet he knocked up some bar slut and did the right thing?

Girlfriend gave birth? No way Tim Thomas could condone that on his team.

Can you guys stop talking about when the Ducks were winners? It's now a sore spot.

Thanks, I had no idea that making a joke thread was grounds for banning. I assumed most of the OT was joke threads.

Yet somehow I can make a thread about a Perianal Haematoma, gross a whole bunch of people out and not get banned.

Therefore I propose we flood OT with Medical Science threads.

(for the love of god; This is in JEST)

I am shocked that Kaberle 'scored'

Given the opportunity I figured he'd pass.

Merguson

Banned
I don't care who acquired them. Point is they were already there.

10/10 gif use

And I could say the same about Burke/Nonis and Mike Gillis. But I'm not going to bother. Because you could argue against it, and if I'm assuming correctly, I could easily use the same points as well.

So, as I said again, it's a retarded argument and I don't put any value in it. You could argue the same for most teams in the league but no one does because it's faulty.

Milly79

james duthie ‏ @tsnjamesduthie
Plekanec not on ice for warm-ups. John Lu reports he was seen running into the dressing room a few minutes ago. No explanation yet.
And by running in...I meant in street clothes, arriving late (If that previous tweet was confusing).

TRADE IMMINENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom