• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 3 even more of a shooter than 2? I haven't tried 2 because of the RPG-part of the game being watered down.

Nah. The RPG system was fixed a little.

But to whoever asked, war assets mean nothing from my understanding. Not certain though, because I'm not done yet.

Off-Topic but anyone want to spoil ME3 for me? Never played any of them and am wondering what the fuss is all about...

Go Ducks!

Spoiler thread

Combat-wise, 3 is a lot like 2, but even more stripped down. No hacking minigames, one button to do everything (cover/roll/use), only pickups are ammo and weapon/armour upgrades. Customization has been consolidated into various storefronts on the Normandy and Citadel. You do get to customize weapon loadouts before each mission though!

Everything about it, from the game mechanics, to the ending, the day-one Prothean DLC, to all the stuff coming out of Bioware says that they basically threw long-time fans under the bus in order to appeal to new players who are jumping into the franchise at 3. Even their review documentation asks reviewers to frame their reviews from the point of a player new to the Mass Effect universe.

They realized they had our money for this game no matter what, and just wanted to milk us for every last dollar.

Everything about it, from the game mechanics, to the ending, the day-one Prothean DLC, to all the stuff coming out of Bioware says that they basically threw long-time fans under the bus in order to appeal to new players who are jumping into the franchise at 3. Even their review documentation asks reviewers to frame their reviews from the point of a player new to the Mass Effect universe.

They realized they had our money for this game no matter what, and just wanted to milk us for every last dollar.

Haven't noticed much terrible in the way of mechanics, and I've played from 1. Nothing that really bothered me, at any rate.

Socreges

Banned
Since this is now the ME3 thread, I might as well jump in too

I've never played ME1. I played ME2 when it came out and for the most part really enjoyed it, but the story was boring (I rarely like stories in videogames), the scenes with characters speaking to each other were very sterile and the combat was repetitive. The overworld and environments were awesome, though. Once I got near to the end, I just stopped playing. Then I traded it in.

Should I bother going back and playing ME1? What about ME3? Is its combat any better? I heard the level design is more varied.

Milly79

It's helpful to know the entire story. Some of it is retold in the Codex, but when characters speak they generally refer to stuff that has happened in the previous games.

Also, ME1 - still the best.

Cake Boss

Banned
I really liked the story, one of the reasons why I became a fan, the reapers and shit.

" We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it. "

SHEEEEEEETTTT

Soc, I really enjoyed ME1. It's aged now, but I'd say its story is more engaging than 2's - so much so that I probably wouldn't have put up with 2's controversial streamlining had I not already been invested in series' plot.

3 has some remarkably ham-fisted and ludicrous dialogue.

edit: It's the Story, Socreges.

I liked ME1 a lot but I love 2 and I am liking 3 even more. I love how they took an RPG with bad combat and made it into a great shooter with added RPG elements. I absolutely love the changes that they made to the franchise.

Montresor

The best thing about ME1 was jumping into the game without knowing anything about its universe and lore. After the first mission, you show up at the Citadel and there are embassies for other alien races and you just spend a bunch time there, soaking in all the interesting culture. I loved learning about asari, salarian, elcor, volus (spelling? they're the little mouth breathers), etc, for the first time.

Also, even when playing video games on the Xbox I can't escape the indiginity of being a Leafs fan. I ran into the following while playing Deus Ex...

ffab4649.jpg

Merguson

Banned
There was a lot of mechanics in Mass Effect 1 that were utterly terrible. The story is the only thing that kept me engaged in Mass Effect 1. I'll give Mass Effect 1 that.

While the story may not be as engaging in later iterations, ME2 and ME3 presented a game that actually was playable as opposed to the horrible gameplay in ME1.

Since this is now the ME3 thread, I might as well jump in too

I've never played ME1. I played ME2 when it came out and for the most part really enjoyed it, but the story was boring (I rarely like stories in videogames), the scenes with characters speaking to each other were very sterile and the combat was repetitive. The overworld and environments were awesome, though. Once I got near to the end, I just stopped playing. Then I traded it in.

Should I bother going back and playing ME1? What about ME3? Is its combat any better? I heard the level design is more varied.

If you didn't even finish ME2, I doubt you'll even get past the 1st mission in ME1.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
ME1 sucked, but it gave us a tease of something that could be great. But then ME2 came out and it became apparent BioWare had no idea what direction they wanted to take this series in. The shooting was more fun though.

Dunno about ME3, don't really care at this point.

Stet

Banned
The best thing about ME1 was jumping into the game without knowing anything about its universe and lore. After the first mission, you show up at the Citadel and there are embassies for other alien races and you just spend a bunch time there, soaking in all the interesting culture. I loved learning about asari, salarian, elcor, volus (spelling? they're the little mouth breathers), etc, for the first time.

Also, even when playing video games on the Xbox I can't escape the indiginity of being a Leafs fan. I ran into the following while playing Deus Ex...

ffab4649.jpg

Ha ha jokes on Montreal Eidos, now both of our teams are just about in last.

Clydefrog

Not to mention if you created a custom-faced Shepard in ME1, carried that Shep over to ME2 and tried to carry him/her over to ME3, it wouldn't recognize your face. Thanks to a thread on GAF, I was able to figure out how to recreate my face in ME3, but it was annoying. Just another way BioWare screwed up the trilogy.

It has been really fun for me playing through the series though since I just started ME1 like a month ago, beat it, and went directly on to ME2. I beat ME2 literally the day ME3 released. Bought ME3 from green man gaming for $48 and have put a couple hours into it. At least I feel immersed in the story even if each game is wildly different gameplay-wise.

Not to mention if you created a custom-faced Shepard in ME1, carried that Shep over to ME2 and tried to carry him/her over to ME3, it wouldn't recognize your face.

I think it's time for everyone to show their Shep. Always good for the lulz.

I use boring Vanderloo

Not to mention if you created a custom-faced Shepard in ME1, carried that Shep over to ME2 and tried to carry him/her over to ME3, it wouldn't recognize your face. Thanks to a thread on GAF, I was able to figure out how to recreate my face in ME3, but it was annoying. Just another way BioWare screwed up the trilogy.
I never had that problem because I always use default Shep (which is the correct Shep), but I think what grinds people most about that, was the fact that Bioware knew this problem existed. They could've fixed it pre-launch, but instead, they just threw in an error pop-up instead of making it work. They just didn't care.

This, I waited to play it for a few days, only did multiplayer, and then finally gave in and did the trick and it worked really well, still I can't believe that was something they overlooked or just didn't bother with, I mean that is a huge problem for a game where you can carry your character and choices over from previous installments.

I don't think Burke can be trusted with any of moves he makes.

Odd as it is to say, I'm more comfortable with his moves now that he doesn't have the luxury of time nor the excuse of blaming JFJ to fall back on. I get the feeling he'll actually try to do something other than recruit another AHLer from the US College system.

This year really was the time when his 2008/2009 moves should have panned out. If 2012/13 is a failure, he and Carlyle are gonzo.

Quick

Banned
Leaf fans, how has Ashton been playing so far? Looking forward to seeing him in action tonight.

I like his hustle, and he seems to really be trying hard. He's probably getting even more ice time with Kulemin out.

What about Aulie on your end? What's your impression on him?

And lol Mike Keenan just called Damien Cox "soft".

Acid08

Banned
I played ME2 for 6 hours straight last night. Wasn't planning on it but I couldn't stop until I finally had to go to sleep.

Havlat back tonight, excited. Hopefully he can make a difference and doesn't shatter onto the ice.

ZeroGravity

What about Aulie on your end? What's your impression on him?
He's been pretty solid thus far. He's had trouble adjusting to Boucher's system like everyone else does, but he's the only guy on our blueline that actually plays physical so that's been a big immediate plus.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I'm predicting a trap game.

It's weird, because if Sid wasn't coming back I'd feel pretty confident that we'd win, considering we beat NYR the last two times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom