• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The Penguins did not win the Stanley Cup the last two seasons.
2. Evgeni Malkin was on the Penguins for the last two seasons.
3. ???????

Why don't you guys get it? I will say I wouldn't mind then Pens in the playoffs though. I think we win that series if Bryz plays decent and we're healthy. I don't want to touch the Rangers or the Bruins though. Anyone else I don't really care about until you start talking potential SCF.

3N16MA

Banned
I vaguely remember Malkin having a kick-ass playoff season, only to completely disappear in the SCF. Can't remember which year that was, though.

08-09? He wasn't horrible against the Wings but because he tore it up in the ECF against the Canes it looked like he did not do much. In 07-08 he was not so hot in the SCF but neither were a lot of guys.

Socreges

Banned
1. The Penguins did not win the Stanley Cup the last two seasons.
2. Evgeni Malkin was on the Penguins for the last two seasons.
3. ???????

Why don't you guys get it?
It's all right there!

Alucard

Banned
Pens ran the Flyers ragged for 40 minutes today. Not sure why Philly fans are so certain that the Flyers would easily take the Pens out in a 7 game series.

More than 30. Flyers did nothing for all of the 2nd and only got 2 shots because of a PP.

I agree with you on the 2nd. But my point is he first was even, and you didn't gain all that much on the PPs there. Then the 3rd was almost entirely Flyers. I still think if we have Mez, Kubina, and JVR we win a 7 game series against you guys. That's all. It would be close, but from watching them play against eachother this year the Pens aren't a team that scares me matchup-wise. Flyers are really only hurt by teams that can shut down their offense and grind out a game like the Bruins and Rangers. The Pens aren't in the same tier as those two teams in that regard. They do other things much better, but that's of less concern to the Flyers.

Alucard

Banned
Either way, a Pens/Flyers series would be really intense with the talent both teams have right now. At this point, I want the Pens to win the Conference and to guarantee home ice throughout the playoffs.

3N16MA

Banned
I agree with you on the 2nd. But my point is he first was even, and you didn't gain all that much on the PPs there. Then the 3rd was almost entirely Flyers. I still think if we have Mez, Kubina, and JVR we win a 7 game series against you guys. That's all. It would be close, but from watching them play against eachother this year the Pens aren't a team that scares me matchup-wise. Flyers are really only hurt by teams that can shut down their offense and grind out a game like the Bruins and Rangers. The Pens aren't in the same tier as those two teams in that regard. They do other things much better, but that's of less concern to the Flyers.

3rd was definitely all Flyers. I think the Pens got a little too comfortable after Malkin's goal. That and the opportunity to put the game away against Bryzgalov passed them by after the first 2.

cube444

Crosby works harder than anyone. People who think he is a pussy are jealous of his skill.

I agree that Mr. Crosby has skill but come on man does it really need to take you 100 games off for a concussion and then people act like he's still amazing and in game shape upon his return when all the while he's been skating at top speed for three months but is too much of a pussy to come back to the game earlier? Right now he looks as scared as the nerd leaning up against the wall at the school dance acting all cool and shit but scared to go to the dirty areas where the real action is.

Crosby works harder than anyone. People who think he is a pussy are jealous of his skill.

Why do people say this? Doc said it during the game today. I am sure he works hard but I bet all top players have to work hard, hell I bet a lot of 4th liners work really fucking hard. How would someone even judge who works the hardest?

3N16MA

Banned
I agree that Mr. Crosby has skill but come on man does it really need to take you 100 games off for a concussion and then people act like he's still amazing and in game shape upon his return when all the while he's been skating at top speed for three months but is too much of a pussy to come back to the game earlier? Right now he looks as scared as the nerd leaning up against the wall at the school dance acting all cool and shit but scared to go to the dirty areas where the real action is.

I bet the Pens would rather make sure Crosby is completely healthy and can lace them up for years to come rather than him being all macho and having a short career. Concussions are different for everyone and are not fully understood at this point. There is no chart to let someone know when they should comeback and everything will be fine.

JABEE

Why do people say this? Doc said it during the game today. I am sure he works hard but I bet all top players have to work hard, hell I bet a lot of 4th liners work really fucking hard. How would someone even judge who works the hardest?

He's playing good and he trains. People try to act like those who work the hardest are going to be the best players. It's because Crosby works hard and has immense talent that he is the example of hard work. People think he shouldn't have to, but still does.

Alucard

Banned

Coaches from other teams have said the same thing, including Mike Babcock.

The reason Crosby is so respected and why he's such a great role model for kids is because he doesn't have the natural talent of guys like Lemieux and Gretzky in the past, but he works his ass off to get his goals and assists, and has worked hard to become the player he is. An overweight and cigar-smoking Lemieux still put up 100 points in his rookie season. No way Crosby could've done that. If you ask his teammates, Crosby eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. It's almost weird.

3N16MA

Banned

Crosby has lots of natural talent but he works very hard on top of that. He could get by with his skill alone and be a very good NHL player but he works hard to go beyond that. Mario was a guy who early in his career got by on natural skill (best the NHL has ever seen) however did not put in the work ethic like Sid. 4th liners work hard because they want to stay in the NHL while Sid does not have to do it but does it anyways. That is the point I'm getting at. He has more skill than anyone but works just as hard as a 4th liner.

zedge

Woot! Getting a buddys season tickets tonight, proper seats, no nosebleeds!

Yes its Columbus in town.. meh, but its a must win for the Flames.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, he is pretty adept at changing his tampons on the bench without taking off his hockey pants.

At least I'm not Socreges?

In response to the first comment...

iqFN35eTTbSM9.gif

In response to the second, you do have that going for you.

Cake Boss

Banned
Remember that kid Nino Neidereiter from the world juniors, he has 1 goal and no assists in 47 games with the Islanders. Way to go Isles, ruin another kid by rushing him.

Quick

Banned
Coaches from other teams have said the same thing, including Mike Babcock.

The reason Crosby is so respected and why he's such a great role model for kids is because he doesn't have the natural talent of guys like Lemieux and Gretzky in the past, but he works his ass off to get his goals and assists, and has worked hard to become the player he is. An overweight and cigar-smoking Lemieux still put up 100 points in his rookie season. No way Crosby could've done that. If you ask his teammates, Crosby eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. It's almost weird.

CROSBY. DOESN'T. STOP.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Even as someone who's slightly annoyed with all the Pens-GAF-jizz everywhere, I have to say... After what happened when he came back too early last time, I'm really glad he'd rather be waiting too long than not long enough this time. Coming back too early AGAIN could've easily been the end of his still young career and I wouldn't want the NHL to lose him, he's a great poster-boy and role model and really does work hard for his success.

Quick

Banned

Even as someone who's slightly annoyed with all the Pens-GAF-jizz everywhere, I have to say... After what happened when he came back too early last time, I'm really glad he'd rather be waiting too long than not long enough this time. Coming back too early AGAIN could've easily been the end of his still young career and I wouldn't want the NHL to lose him, he's a great poster-boy and role model and really does work hard for his success.

Furthermore, concussions are unpredictable and there really isn't a set time before one can return to play. Right now, it's better to be safe and wait, than jump right into it and risk ending a career.

And of course he'd be hesitant. He JUST came back after losing a shit ton of games to a concussion.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Rope a dope is effective against the Pens, as was shown by the Habs in 2010. I fucking hate it, and think it's pussy hockey.
KvOtQ.jpg

Habs should have played Pens style so they could have gotten bounced in 4 games, makes sense. Crosby is the best player in the league, and obviously works his ass off, but that doesn't mean he isn't a huge bitch, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looking forward to it.

I haven't been following the situation. Is someone rescuing them again for next season?

No, but Bettman clearly wants them there another year. They did just announce sales of season tickets for next year.

Then he mentioned Seattle, Kansas City, and Quebec City.

If Seattle and/or KC get a team before Quebec it will be a travesty.

The mayor of Glendale also said she knows nothing about a sale of the team: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...tes-sale-update-glendale-arizona-jobing-arena

Marvie_3

Banned
I eagerly anticipate the day Coyotes officially announce they're moving, just to see the amount of gifs you have lined up, it will be a glorious day.
I hope your browser survives......

Looking forward to it.

I haven't been following the situation. Is someone rescuing them again for next season?
Yeah, some people in Quebec. The city of Glendale is still searching couch cushions to pay off the $25M for this year. No way it happens again.

No, but Bettman clearly wants them there another year. They did just announce sales of season tickets for next year.
That doesn't mean a fucking thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...sell-us-2011-12-season-tickets?urn=nhl,wp6063

NOT announcing this would reveal Bettman's hand. Plus, any deposits they get now are some free short term loans.

Then he mentioned Seattle, Kansas City, and Quebec City.

If Seattle and/or KC get a team before Quebec it will be a travesty.
He mentioned them to keep the price of the Coyotes up.
I think it may work in Seattle, but yeah, Quebec City = guaranteed money for the league, does it not?
Yes.

3N16MA

Banned
I wonder if Portland would be a good spot along with Seattle if they want to keep the franchise in the U.S. However Quebec City seems like the right choice.

Marvie_3

Banned
I wonder if Portland would be a good spot along with Seattle if they want to keep the franchise in the U.S. However Quebec City seems like the right choice.

Portland would be way down on the list of potential cities and Paul Allen has zero interest in the NHL anymore.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That doesn't mean a fucking thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...sell-us-2011-12-season-tickets?urn=nhl,wp6063

NOT announcing this would reveal Bettman's hand. Plus, any deposits they get now are some free short term loans.

Obviously. I was just filling him in on the latest news.

Quebec City is clearly the place to go, and Bettman was even there talking to the mayor several times over the past two years.

That said, I'd bet that he wants a team in Seattle a lot more than he does in Quebec City. I also think it would work in Seattle, though, but they'd need a major renovation of Key Arena or a new stadium, wouldn't they?

ZeroGravity

Tampa's affiliate Norfolk won their 18th game in a row to set a new AHL record. At least someone in this organization is winning this year.

Marvie_3

Banned
Obviously. I was just filling him in on the latest news.

Quebec City is clearly the place to go, and Bettman was even there talking to the mayor several times over the past two years.

That said, I'd bet that he wants a team in Seattle a lot more than he does in Quebec City. I also think it would work in Seattle, though, but they'd need a major renovation of Key Arena or a new stadium, wouldn't they?
It's no secret that Bettman would want a U.S. market over a Canadian one.

New stadium or bust in Seattle. Key Arena would never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom