• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merguson

Banned
Remember that kid Nino Neidereiter from the world juniors, he has 1 goal and no assists in 47 games with the Islanders. Way to go Isles, ruin another kid by rushing him.

Also like to point out that he has less than 10 minutes of ice-time.

If you're going to do that why not stick him in the minors? It's not like your team is competing this season. Either give him the ice-time or play him in the minors. I thought he might have been too young to enter the AHL due to restrictions but he's already played six games in the AHL. I really don't understand this.

Marvie_3

Banned
Big game for both the 'Hawks and Caps tonight. I don't see Chicago winning though.

lol

Steve Mason on why he didn’t wear form-fitted goalie pads: ‘I never knew I could’
We all know the Steve Mason story. The 2009 Calder Trophy winner who quickly came back to Earth with a pair of sub-par seasons following his fantastic rookie campaign. And then there's this season where, along with his teammates, things have continued on a downward spiral for Mason, who sports a 12-22-3 record with a 3.28 goals-against average and .894 save percentage.

But have we seen the end of Bad Steve Mason? After having not won consecutive starts since February of last season, Mason has been victorious in five of his last six, including four in a row.

What could be credited for his sudden turnaround? His goalie pads.

Before the 2010-11 season, the NHL and its competition committee agreed to having all goalie equipment form-fitted to the size of each netminder. That information never got to the 6-foot-4 Mason. No, really, it didn't. Everything he was wearing was undersized by NHL regulations.

Last month, Mason and Blue Jackets goaltending coach Ian Clark overhauled his equipment because what he was playing in was smaller than what he could have been using.

From the Columbus Dispatch's Shawn Mitchell:

"I never knew I could," Mason said. "If I knew, I would have done it three years ago. I guess I was a little out of the loop on that kind of stuff. But we'll make it work now."

Better late than never, right?

Mason still has a year left on his deal before he becomes a restricted free agent next summer. He's missed the last three games with a lacerated hand but should feature in one of Columbus' two games this weekend, according to Blue Jackets interim head coach Todd Richards.

As Mitchell notes, Mason's first game with the new gear was Feb. 11, and since then he's gone 7-3-1, with a 2.67 GAA and .922 save percentage. Not out-of-this-world numbers for a goaltender, but for the 23-year-old Mason it's a major turnaround.

MacAttack

Yo -C-Bus fans, you guys didn't hear this about Mason :

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/steve-mason-why-didn-t-wear-form-fitted-152643635.html

Read it, I laughed and cried...and hoped he started tomorrow against he Flames.

I think it does have a reason for his sudden resurgance.

Gotta give credit to The Internet for posting this the other night before Van-CBJ game. Especially since his team is usually irrelevant this time of year except for draft discussion. Last post on the page so it probably got missed but it's still hilarious enough to warrant a second mention! You would think somebody would clue the guy in.

cube444

Coaches from other teams have said the same thing, including Mike Babcock.

The reason Crosby is so respected and why he's such a great role model for kids is because he doesn't have the natural talent of guys like Lemieux and Gretzky in the past, but he works his ass off to get his goals and assists, and has worked hard to become the player he is. An overweight and cigar-smoking Lemieux still put up 100 points in his rookie season. No way Crosby could've done that. If you ask his teammates, Crosby eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. It's almost weird.

Of course it is weird man when you are a virgin at his age and have no hobbies or personality out of the game but more power to him because it's his life.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Any Hab fans here watch the whole game last night? I'm reading about it and heard Subban was playing unreal, he climbed up into top 20 scoring for Dmen too last night. Not bad for a guy in a sophomore slump, and is doing everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom