• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fei

I would say Winnipeg has the best schedule left were it not for their road struggles - 7 of 10 away. Washington is actually almost just as bad on the road, but they split their last 10 evenly home and away. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Caps getting the last spot, setting up a Pens/Caps first round.

Best thing I can say about the Sabres is they are the hottest of these teams since the All-Star break. When they're losing, it's been in the OT/SO.

Quick

Banned
So, are the Caps changing their away jersey to their Winter Classic ones? I hate that it doesn't match with their home jersey.

The only way the Leafs have a chance at making the playoffs is if they don't lose any more games:

0vOPz.png

They've already won two, so that's means they'd have to finish the season on a 12-game winning streak. I don't even know where to begin looking for a team that's been able to finish the season that strong.

It's over. It's ok.

So on an unrelated but related to a few days ago note, just finished Mass Effect 3...

tfa7l.gif

Pretty much sums up the ending...

Though the rest of the ride up until that point was probably the best in the series.

So I've let the salt settle in a bit and gotten out of 'shock' factor. But man, eliminated... that's it.

To think we had a run going, to think we had a chance, there's no way anymore. It's not possible. Poor Teemu, he had hope. Refs, wow, they really let us have it in that game. But not just then, but all season long we got some amazingly inconsistent calls. Like Ryan says "It is what it is".

I can't believe that this is how the season ends once again. At the hands of the fuckin' Preds. Again.

It's now up to us just to play trollface with the rest of the league and keep the Sharks away from points and keep the Blues away from a Presidents Cup. Then play a whole bunch of fuckin' games that don't even matter anymore. I feel like a Leafs fan, except with having the privalege of being in the playoffs recently. Boudreau has been great for us. We finally have a run-and-gun offense and kept away from boring hockey, which sure enough doesn't earn us points, but it does make games interesting when the gas pedal is pressed. What have we got to look forward to now... Draft? Lotterly winning could net us a huge pick. Etem, Gibson and some of our other prized prospects making the roster next year? Too far away.

The most painful part was knowing that we're a good team. We have a fantastic roster. It's just the lack of confidence that lead to everybody not playing to their potential. Our biggest enemy all season was ourselves, and nobody else.

If we didn't have the start that we did, and the curse of Movember, we would still be in contention. But you can't keep falling flat at the starting line and expect to catch up down the track. Big things are around the corner, but what shape will they come in? Surprise retirements from Visnovsky? Blockbuster trades? Will Teemu come back? There are so many questions and possibilities and it really is hard to even guesstimate what's on the horizon. But you better believe that after this seasons results - it's gonna be something big.

Filth

so on saturday ill be flying out from new york to winnipeg to watch the rangers game with my cousin who moved out there. ill be there for 5 days. if any1 is familiar with the location id like some tips on what to go see / do. i heard the girls are beautiful :3

Heretic

So I've let the salt settle in a bit and gotten out of 'shock' factor. But man, eliminated... that's it.

To think we had a run going, to think we had a chance, there's no way anymore. It's not possible. Poor Teemu, he had hope. Refs, wow, they really let us have it in that game. But not just then, but all season long we got some amazingly inconsistent calls. Like Ryan says "It is what it is".

I can't believe that this is how the season ends once again. At the hands of the fuckin' Preds. Again.

It's now up to us just to play trollface with the rest of the league and keep the Sharks away from points and keep the Blues away from a Presidents Cup. Then play a whole bunch of fuckin' games that don't even matter anymore. I feel like a Leafs fan, except with having the privalege of being in the playoffs recently. Boudreau has been great for us. We finally have a run-and-gun offense and kept away from boring hockey, which sure enough doesn't earn us points, but it does make games interesting when the gas pedal is pressed. What have we got to look forward to now... Draft? Lotterly winning could net us a huge pick. Etem, Gibson and some of our other prized prospects making the roster next year? Too far away.

The most painful part was knowing that we're a good team. We have a fantastic roster. It's just the lack of confidence that lead to everybody not playing to their potential. Our biggest enemy all season was ourselves, and nobody else.

If we didn't have the start that we did, and the curse of Movember, we would still be in contention. But you can't keep falling flat at the starting line and expect to catch up down the track. Big things are around the corner, but what shape will they come in? Surprise retirements from Visnovsky? Blockbuster trades? Will Teemu come back? There are so many questions and possibilities and it really is hard to even guesstimate what's on the horizon. But you better believe that after this seasons results - it's gonna be something big.

Amen, brother. This season was such a rollercoaster. We were 4 points from a playoff spot after being 20 points out. The worst this that happened to the Ducks was the trade deadline come and go. After that, they released the gas peddle and well... here we are.

This off-season is going to be an interesting one. I want Teemu back but at the same time we rely on him too much. We're in a weird spot with the players that we have that any trade seems like it will fuck up the entire team. We should call up our prospects for the rest of the season and see how they fare against hard fighting teams.

I think starting a second line with Bobby at the helm is a good idea. He was preaching that a couple of interviews back and it got me thinking about possible line ups for that second line. This would be without Koivu or Selanne. Maybe Cogs and Palmieri. Or have Bobby center Palmieri and Etem? It sucks to break up the RPG line seeing as their dominance on the ice is evident but we're lacking depth and Bonino has been great on the 3rd line with maybe Pelley and DSP.

Ugh... this season sucked.

Milly79

PLEASE BE TRUEEEEEE

@plysenkov: Yuri Nikolayev, the agent Radulov, told me right now: "Yes, he's leaving." Expect to see Radu in Thurs game vs Pens. #Preds

I would say Winnipeg has the best schedule left were it not for their road struggles - 7 of 10 away. Washington is actually almost just as bad on the road, but they split their last 10 evenly home and away. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the Caps getting the last spot, setting up a Pens/Caps first round.

Best thing I can say about the Sabres is they are the hottest of these teams since the All-Star break. When they're losing, it's been in the OT/SO.

I actually thing the Sabers get the last spot. If the Caps get it and play the Pens in the 1st round that will destroy my insane prediction of a 1st round Pens loss. Caps are way to inconsistant to win a round.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
PLEASE BE TRUEEEEEE

@plysenkov: Yuri Nikolayev, the agent Radulov, told me right now: "Yes, he's leaving." Expect to see Radu in Thurs game vs Pens. #Preds

girl you know its true.

Actually, someone OTHER than Radulov bought out his contract for this season. The mystery person/entity is undisclosed #Preds

Fei

I actually thing the Sabers get the last spot. If the Caps get it and play the Pens in the 1st round that will destroy my insane prediction of a 1st round Pens loss. Caps are way to inconsistant to win a round.

Hah, I hope you're right, but I don't think it matters who of the three get in if you're looking for a Pens loss. They'd have to cool off drasticly and lose Crosby.. and even then they are a good enough team to beat any of the three. Best team in 40 years, man. :(

Hah, I hope you're right, but I don't think it matters who of the three get in if you're looking for a Pens loss. They'd have to cool off drasticly and lose Crosby.. and even then they are a good enough team to beat any of the three. Best team in 40 years, man. :(

I was just replying to you saying the Pens would get the 8th team in the 1st round. I actually think the Rangers are going to be the 1, and the Flyers and Pens will play in the 1st round. That will be one of the most epic 1st round series in a long time.

Stet

Banned
The only way the Leafs have a chance at making the playoffs is if they don't lose any more games:

0vOPz.png

They've already won two, so that's means they'd have to finish the season on a 12-game winning streak. I don't even know where to begin looking for a team that's been able to finish the season that strong.

It's over. It's ok.

10 games, LET'S GO!

I was just replying to you saying the Pens would get the 8th team in the 1st round. I actually think the Rangers are going to be the 1, and the Flyers and Pens will play in the 1st round. That will be one of the most epic 1st round series in a long time.

That would be some Red Wings v Avs level epic there. Maybe the goalies will fight too. :lol

ShaneB

I hope Winnipeg and Calgary make the playoffs. Need more Canadian teams.

I'm praying for this as well. I love hockey, but tend to avoid this thread because I don't have a single team to follow, and it's overwhelming at times.

Come playoff time, I'll always be cheering for the Canadian teams to make it as far as possible. At least there will be one in the west and one in the east, but is always welcome :D

Montresor

No this is when you win and come up short for the playoffs thus giving your fanbase hope for next season just like in the past.

Even if the Leafs go 10-0 to finish the season and land 9th spot, I would hope very, very much that almost no Leaf fans look towards that kind of play as anything more than an anomaly.

I have faith in the intelligence of other Leaf fans... because you would have to be a moron to think a 10-0 run to close out the season would mean anything with regards to next season. It's been creeping up in the radio talk shows too. They are always talking about how you can't look at small sample sizes (end-of-year runs when the pressure is off) to evaluate the quality of your hockey club. It's refreshing because Burke has tried to extrapolate post-all-star play in the past two years... "If you look at the Leafs' record after the all-star break, we were the 7th best team in the Eastern conference!" That's loosely paraphrased. Well guess what, it goes both ways. If you look at the Leafs' very recent record (the very recent and notable collapse), they are the worst team in the history of the NHL. That should get thrown in Burke's face if he ever tries to extrapolate a post-elimination record ever again.

Next year there is going to be the usual excitement that comes with the beginning of every new season, but I hope not a single person expects any kind of success if the same goaltending and roster come back. This is a roster that cannot compete when there is pressure. Toronto has goaltenders that are impotent when there is pressure. They had 7th/8th all to themselves all year long and went 2-15-1 and literally gave it away like they were allergic to playoff hockey. Pathetic.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Even if the Leafs go 10-0 to finish the season and land 9th spot, I would hope very, very much that almost no Leaf fans look towards that kind of play as anything more than an anomaly.

I have faith in the intelligence of other Leaf fans... because you would have to be a moron to think a 10-0 run to close out the season would mean anything with regards to next season. It's been creeping up in the radio talk shows too. They are always talking about how you can't look at small sample sizes (end-of-year runs when the pressure is off) to evaluate the quality of your hockey club. It's refreshing because Burke has tried to extrapolate post-all-star play in the past two years... "If you look at the Leafs' record after the all-star break, we were the 7th best team in the Eastern conference!" That's loosely paraphrased. Well guess what, it goes both ways. If you look at the Leafs' very recent record (the very recent and notable collapse), they are the worst team in the history of the NHL. That should get thrown in Burke's face if he ever tries to extrapolate a post-elimination record ever again.

Next year there is going to be the usual excitement that comes with the beginning of every new season, but I hope not a single person expects any kind of success if the same goaltending and roster come back. This is a roster that cannot compete when there is pressure. Toronto has goaltenders that are impotent when there is pressure. They had 7th/8th all to themselves all year long and went 2-15-1 and literally gave it away like they were allergic to playoff hockey. Pathetic.

Wat? If they make the playoffs, the sample size is 82 games. Your logic makes no sense.

Montresor

Wat? If they make the playoffs, the sample size is 82 games. Your logic makes no sense.

I said if they go 10-0 and land 9th spot. I edited it a bunch of times so I don't remember if that was a post-edit addition to my post, but I meant "no Leaf fans better glean any kind of hope out of a stretch run that once again ends in no playoffs."

but I meant "no Leaf fans better glean any kind of hope out of a stretch run that once again ends in no playoffs."

It's a bit different this year because of the coaching change.

I have hope that Carlyle will be able to implement a system that plays to the strengths of the roster we have. Our very recent form indicates there's been some progress.

Parch

Pens are hot, with enough games left to ensure Sidney and Letang are up to full speed for the playoffs. Rangers be scared.

Nashville is on a nice roll, and how bout dem Blues. First to clinch and the President's trophy on the way. Defensive systems in the west are working real good.

pringles

Nashville is on a nice roll, and how bout dem Blues. First to clinch and the President's trophy on the way. Defensive systems in the west are working real good.
Ugh, fucking Central Division has some of the best teams in the league this season.

Sucks that re-alignment doesn't look like it will happen for a while.

Ugh, fucking Central Division has some of the best teams in the league this season.

Sadly we should have locked up the Central this year if it wasn't for us getting all these injuries at once, we were playing great and then Datsyuk went down followed by Lidstrom, and anyone else who wanted to join them. :/

NewBryz2.0 was named first star of the week for the second consecutive week. He is the only player to do that this year.

What the fuck has happened? The only way I can interpret this recent play is the team's attempt to build up expectations that haven't been there all season like they normally have that way the playoff implosion is equally heartbreaking.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
NewBryz2.0 was named first star of the week for the second consecutive week. He is the only player to do that this year.

What the fuck has happened? The only way I can interpret this recent play is the team's attempt to build up expectations that haven't been there all season like they normally have that way the playoff implosion is equally heartbreaking.

Hey, you're warming up for the playoffs. It could be worse/opposite! -looks at KingHenrik-

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

My guess is realignment gets done as a compromise involving the salary cap. The league reportedly wants to lower the revenue directly given to players (which leads me to believe we've got a lockout coming). I'll bet they strike a deal and the players "allowing" realignment is one of the issues.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sadly we should have locked up the Central this year if it wasn't for us getting all these injuries at once, we were playing great and then Datsyuk went down followed by Lidstrom, and anyone else who wanted to join them. :/

The fact that Lidstrom still has skated for about 15 minutes since his injury is VERY worrisome (although with his injury Smith got to come up and I think he's going to be a great defenseman in the league).

Helm going down with a knee injury worries me even more. The team is slow enough as it is.

Heretic

Too much goalie controversy. Same with the Leafs. Stick with one goalie instead of switching them out after a bad game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just realised this when reading NHL.com:

Did anyone have the Blues as the first team to clinch a Stanley Cup Playoff spot this year? Ken Hitchock is 40-12-8, which averages out to 120 points across 82 games. Here's your Jack Adams, sir.

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom