• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCF23

Suspension is fair in my eyes. 5 games is significant for a first time offender. The only problem I have is these games likely don't mean very much for the Hawks. 8 would've sent more of a message because it would've extended into the playoffs, but 5 games is a significant ban.

Hitchcock lies to himself and those around him about the trap just as he likely lies to himself about the shitty way he eats and takes care of himself. The best way to commit to anything shitty is by deluding yourself and others.

He saw the way Bob Hartley coached the Avs to a Stanley Cup and said, "this is how we should play to win..."

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Someone took a picture of him outside his apartment about 5 mins ago
epzqR.jpg

He saw the way Bob Hartley coached the Avs to a Stanley Cup and said, "this is how we should play to win..."

lolwut

Except Hartley was an offense first coach. He didn't know shit about defense and if anything, his system was the anti-trap. But please, take it easy on me - I'm still reeling from being 'crushed' by Calgary.

Revenant

see what you all fail to realize is this just allows us to play our real number one D man

OD%20all-access-WM.jpg

He's ready to take all of Keith's minutes at the hardened age of 123.

lolwut

Except Hartley was an offense first coach. He didn't know shit about defense and if anything, his system was the anti-trap. But please, take it easy on me - I'm still reeling from being 'crushed' by Calgary.

Fuck I hate Calgary, I'm glad "you guys" beat them. But "you" will still miss the playoffs, Avs have like one game left and the rest have like 27 to go.

CCF23

Holy shit Canuck fans are pissed and I really have no idea why despite the fact that they're retarded.

It's about the standard, it's not about this individual suspension. I don't know why so many Canuck fans were expecting that this be the hit the NHL draws the line in the sand and says "the standard for this hit is no longer 2-5 games".

If the NHL wanted to rid the game of this kind of hit (Keith on Sedin, Bourque on Backstrom, etc.) the standard suspension for a hit like that would be 10+ games, but it isn't. The standard has been set in the 2-5 game range, and Keith's suspension falls in line with that. His suspension isn't unfair. The standard that has been set is a joke in terms of it being a deterrent, however this suspension was fair in accordance with the standard that they've set.

The issue for Canuck fans (and hockey fans in general) should be that the standard suspension for dangerous, predatory hits in general is far too soft to act as a real deterrent to those kind of plays, but it's not like they can just change their mind right before the playoffs.

Acid08

Banned
Holy shit Canuck fans are pissed and I really have no idea why despite the fact that they're retarded.

It's about the standard, it's not about this individual suspension. I don't know why so many Canuck fans were expecting that this be the hit the NHL draws the line in the sand and says "the standard for this hit is no longer 2-5 games".

If the NHL wanted to rid the game of this kind of hit (Keith on Sedin, Bourque on Backstrom, etc.) the standard suspension for a hit like that would be 10+ games, but it isn't. The standard has been set in the 2-5 game range, and Keith's suspension falls in line with that. His suspension isn't unfair. The standard that has been set is a joke in terms of it being a deterrent, however this suspension was fair in accordance with the standard that they've set.

The issue for Canuck fans (and hockey fans in general) should be that the standard suspension for dangerous, predatory hits in general is far too soft to act as a real deterrent to those kind of plays, but it's not like they can just change their mind right before the playoffs.
I think it's pretty obvious why Canucks fans are mad. Your best player could possibly be out for a while because of that elbow so tensions run high. It just got announced, all the stupid shit is going to be boiling over today but it'll die. Or not depending on what Sedins status is.

CCF23

I think it's pretty obvious why Canucks fans are mad. Your best player could possibly be out for a while because of that elbow so tensions run high. It just got announced, all the stupid shit is going to be boiling over today but it'll die. Or not depending on what Sedins status is.

Fair enough, but the suspension was never going to be stiff enough to make the fanbase feel better about the injury that resulted from the play.

Canucks fans are just pissed because the retaliation on Keith was so weak. Salo should've handled it, he's a fucking monster. Just ask Marchand and MacAttack.

Even if "we" miss the playoffs "we" still had a good season with a shit coach.

"You're" the worst troll.

I'm a troll because I thought Calgary would beat the Avs one night?

Get off my dank, no one cares about that Avs except you and maybe 10,000 at the Pepsi Centre. I don't even know what a troll means, I don't play World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons. Take that shyte to the Gaming side, or Matt Duchene's house (parents basement).

I'm a troll because I thought Calgary would beat the Avs one night?

Get off my dank, no one cares about that Avs except you and maybe 10,000 at the Pepsi Centre. I don't even know what a troll means, I don't play World of Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons. Take that shyte to the Gaming side, or Matt Duchene's house (parents basement).

You seem to have a fairly decent idea of what troll means considering your reaction. Umad?

Edit: Also it's Center not Centre.

El Tigre

Fair enough, but the suspension was never going to be stiff enough to make the fanbase feel better about the injury that resulted from the play.

Are they ever really enough, though? Backstrom is still out.

And a suspension would actually make the fanbase feel better? How about having your own player ready to go?

BTW Sedin's hit on Keith was a hit to the head.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I wonder what it needs, top6 forward on every team suffering from an illegal hit so that finally fans of all teams argue for longer suspensions?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
According to Dredger Leafs Brass are scouting Yakupov tonight not really shocking or surprising but if Columbus moves that first wonder if Burke will make a move for it.

That's exactly why they're pissed (and rightly so), since Aaron Rome got suspended 4 games in the Stanley Cup Final - the equivalent of 48 games - for delivering an illegal, late bodycheck that caught Horton in the head. There was no history between Rome or Horton before the hit.

And now Keith gets suspended for 5 regular season games, which will do little else than rest him up before the playoffs since the Hawks are all but guaranteed to make it in, in exchange for a premeditated elbow to the head on a guy who never once had possession of the puck.

It's fucking retarded (as is Doan's 3 game suspension, as is etc, etc) because Shanahan used the Rome hit to say that headshots and the like were going to change this year, and then he completely went back on his word.

What's to stop John Scott from elbowing Evgeni Malkin in the head the next time the Rangers and Penguins play should Malkin do something to piss Scott off? If the players won't account for their own accountability, then it's the league's responsibility, and they're just dropping the ball time and time again.

MacAttack

Canucks fans are just pissed because the retaliation on Keith was so weak. Salo should've handled it, he's a fucking monster. Just ask Marchand and MacAttack.

Brad Marchand is the real monster, everybody knows that but Aaron Rome is just a victim of circumstance.

5 games does seem pretty weak considering those games would be meaningless for the Hawks anyways. Should've had to sit out the entire first round.

Fucking Amazon says it's going to be delivered on Monday >:[

I thought they guaranteed release day arrival.

I think it depends on whether or not you have prime. Sometimes they don't list release-date delivery as an option for games but they'll still give it to their prime members for free.

I've been having a good time with Kid Icarus today actually. Picked it up on my way home earlier. Controls do suck though. It actually makes it good for breaks because you enjoy what you play, but don't want to play for very long.

Sounds alright. The controls are mostly stylus based right? Not a huge fan of that except for like Metroid Prime Hunters. But that was only comfortable with the thumb strap thing.

Acid08

Banned
I think it depends on whether or not you have prime. Sometimes they don't list release-date delivery as an option for games but they'll still give it to their prime members for free.

Sounds alright. The controls are mostly stylus based right? Not a huge fan of that except for like Metroid Prime Hunters. But that was only comfortable with the thumb strap thing.

I do have Prime :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

You know, the problem isn't that it's 5 games for Keith. The problem is that it's 5 games for EVERYONE. I'd be totally down if elbows like Doan's that are instinct get 10 games and if intentional elbows get 20. Who cares if it's only 5?

Imagine, first round, whoever Chicago is facing, someone knocks out Toews with an elbow to the head, Toews is out for the rest of the playoffs. The guy who did it, some random fourth-liner, gets 2 games (technically it should only be one, with 12 regular season = one playoff, but w/e). Is that going to hold anyone back from injuring the opponent's top players? no. If they get MUCH longer bans, that's the only thing that'd work. So I completely agree with the point CC23 made:

5 games in the context of this season's other penalties is good, I like it. 5 games in the context of what it deserved is laughable and that's why everyone in Vancouver is whining atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom