• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WTF LOL scoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Can a team just give up a match? You know, why risk injuries at this point? lol

Shanahan is not assigning intent to Keith's hit. He calls it dangerous but not malicious or retaliatory.
Even if you take intent out of the equation (which I don't for a second, but to play devil's advocate), Keith's hit is still worse.

Rome went to lay a devastating hit on a player that had the puck. The only problem is his timing was off, and Rome stupidly didn't lay up on the hit, deciding instead to deck a defenseless player. It was a really dumb play.

Keith went after a player who never once had the puck. Keith saw that the puck was flying up in the air, and at no point was Sedin going to touch it. He went in, and instead of delivering a high shoulder/body check, he threw his elbow up at Sedin's head.

But again, this aspect is all fairly off topic. I brought up the Rome suspension mainly to contrast how Shanahan's perception has changed, in addition to why a bevy of Canucks fans are probably upset with Keith's 5 games.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Holy fuck what's happening in that Montreal-Ottawa game, I think I have to find a stream, unreal. What is happening with Ottawa, why aren't they playing?!?

Cake Boss

Banned
tumblr_lags8sdjGP1qzjix8.gif

FIRE EVERYONE!!

Gonchar someone break his fucking legs, someone please hurt him, I'll suck your dick man.

Even if you take intent out of the equation (which I don't for a second, but to play devil's advocate), Keith's hit is still worse.

Rome went to lay a devastating hit on a player that had the puck. The only problem is his timing was off, and Rome stupidly didn't lay up on the hit, deciding instead to deck a defenseless player. It was a really dumb play.

Keith went after a player who never once had the puck. Keith saw that the puck was flying up in the air, and at no point was Sedin going to touch it. He went in, and instead of delivering a high shoulder/body check, he threw his elbow up at Sedin's head.

But again, this aspect is all fairly off topic. I brought up the Rome suspension mainly to contrast how Shanahan's perception has changed, in addition to why a bevy of Canucks fans are probably upset with Keith's 5 games.

Why are we still comparing to last season? Seriously even if that was Shanahan it is irrelevant to this season because that's where the competitive disadvantage is relevant. Seems to me like you picked the most convenient thing to compare to...

Playoffs are also different because there is the matter of controlling the atmosphere between two teams who are seeing eachother every night. But yea.... you keep cherry picking. Have fun with that.

Cake Boss

Banned
Goodbye Playoffs, this organization has improved, instead of waiting to choke in the playoffs like usual, they have started 2 early to start the chocking. love it.

Bring on the offseason thread, need to join my fellow tankers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Holy fuck what's happening in that Montreal-Ottawa game, I think I have to find a stream, unreal. What is happening with Ottawa, why aren't they playing?!?

Cole scored two quick goals, they removed Anderson and put Bishop in. Cole score another one, hat trick. That was in less than six minutes from the start. Then Nokelainen scored:p Basically, panic on Ottawa's side.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cole scored two quick goals, they removed Anderson and put Bishop in. Cole score another one, hat trick. That was in less than six minutes from the start. Then Nokelainen scored:p Basically, panic on Ottawa's side.

ho-ley. Is Ottawa even playing or did Montreal timetravel 60 years back?

MacAttack

Playoffs are also different because there is the matter of controlling the atmosphere between two teams who are seeing eachother every night. But yea.... you keep cherry picking. Have fun with that.

Vancouver fans are going off on the Rome thing because of this comment by Shanahan:

In an interview with ESPN, the league’s lord of discipline said he sees each playoff series as a “seven-game season” and, therefore, being suspended for one playoff game is worth considerably more than a regular-season game

“I can attest to this as a player, if you ask me if I’d rather have a four-game suspension in November than a one-game suspension in the playoffs, I’d take the four-game suspension in November,” Shanahan said. “If you think about it, that one game in the finals is the equivalent of a 12-game suspension.

El Tigre

Are you even reading what we're saying? We're not saying ONLY KEITH should be punished harsher. We're saying EVERYONE should be punished harder, by the standard set against Rome last SCF. By that standard, the Doan hit would've been like 10+ games and the Keith hit 20 or whatever. Or are you agreeing that 5 games for an illegal elbow that gives someone a concussion is fair? It's not scaring off ANY team from doing the exact same thing again. This isn't about the Canucks/Keith, this is about general league punishment.

I have a better idea.

Rome- 2 minute minor.

Keith -87 games.

I think 5 games is fair, considering Keith is not a repeat offender. I'm just waiting for a Leaf player to get a headshot so then I can be up in arms too.

Why are we still comparing to last season?
Can you not read? It's been said multiple times. Reading comprehension. Use it.

Seriously even if that was Shanahan it is irrelevant to this season because that's where the competitive disadvantage is relevant. Seems to me like you picked the most convenient thing to compare to...
It's not irrelevant to this season because it was the new guard's first suspension, and they used the platform of the incident to signal a change in suspension sentencing on serious headshot infractions. To reiterate: Shane Doan should have received a much stiffer sentence as well, as should a bunch of other lesser or missed suspensions.

Playoffs are also different because there is the matter of controlling the atmosphere between two teams who are seeing eachother every night.
So now your logic is that if one player injured another in Game 1 of a playoff series with an illegal hit, then that player should automatically be suspended 6 games because the league has to "control the atmosphere" between the two teams?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ho-ley. Is Ottawa even playing or did Montreal timetravel 60 years back?

Habs are doing a lot of forecheck, being agressive, and Ottawa seemed to have been surprised by this and never managed to find their game to counter this. Their coach should have called a time out after the second goal. Still didn't call any and it's 4-0 and the situation hasn't changed.

edit: Price is watching TV. Nothing is happening around his net.

MutFox

Banned
That's exactly why they're pissed (and rightly so), since Aaron Rome got suspended 4 games in the Stanley Cup Final - the equivalent of 48 games - for delivering an illegal, late bodycheck that caught Horton in the head. There was no history between Rome or Horton before the hit.

And now Keith gets suspended for 5 regular season games, which will do little else than rest him up before the playoffs since the Hawks are all but guaranteed to make it in, in exchange for a premeditated elbow to the head on a guy who never once had possession of the puck.

It's fucking retarded (as is Doan's 3 game suspension, as is etc, etc) because Shanahan used the Rome hit to say that headshots and the like were going to change this year, and then he completely went back on his word.

What's to stop John Scott from elbowing Evgeni Malkin in the head the next time the Rangers and Penguins play should Malkin do something to piss Scott off? If the players won't account for their own accountability, then it's the league's responsibility, and they're just dropping the ball time and time again.

Vancouver Media is also saying this,
basically making all the fans aware of this.

sorry Jets fans, this was a decider game and the Jets are blowing it. No playoffs for you!

Maybe the Buffalo Sabres can bring you justice by out pointing the Caps and taking 8th place

Can you not read? It's been said multiple times. Reading comprehension. Use it.

It's not irrelevant to this season because it was the new guard's first suspension, and they used the platform of the incident to signal a change in suspension sentencing on serious headshot infractions. To reiterate: Shane Doan should have received a much stiffer sentence as well, as should a bunch of other lesser or missed suspensions.

So now your logic is that if one player injured another in Game 1 of a playoff series with an illegal hit, then that player should automatically be suspended 6 games because the league has to "control the atmosphere" between the two teams?

I did read it. Then I said it was stupid. Maybe YOU should pay attention. You're not using the right frame of reference. Shanahan did that LAST YEAR. The standard for this year has been for the most part consistent and almost exclusively dealt in minor suspensions. If you don't like it, maybe it will change NEXT season, but comparing the standard between two different seasons isn't really relevant. What is important is that everyone is on the same playing field at the same time, which seems to be the case here.

Not I don't think that. But I do think it was pretty clear that series was getting out of hand and a signal needed to be sent there. Signals actually WORK in those situations because both teams are still in the same series together. It's a delicate balance and Shanahan probably got it wrong there. But it's STILL not relevant here.

Solo

Cole needs 7 points with 7 games left (after tonight) to hit a career high 62 points. Not bad for a guy who "needs Eric Staal".

MacAttack

Nathan Horton still not able to ride a stationary bike without getting major headaches. Its been two months since he got his second concussion in less than 12 months.

Probably done for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom