• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
sweet jesus.

Must win tonight.

Reminds me of Higgins, he also lost so much wait when he was out with his infection. Sucks :/

EDIT: Found it:

After dropping nearly a dozen pounds from an adverse reaction to antibiotics that were supposed to rid the Vancouver Canucks winger of concerns over two recent staph infections, he was upbeat for all the right reasons after taking the game-day skate at Rogers Arena following a five-game hiatus from the club

Talk about overreacting.
How is this a punishment to the Hawks at all? If you look at it from the perspective of them not being able to move up in the standings due to the loss of Keith, I'm pretty sure Chicago wouldn't want to move up to 4th or 5th. If you move up to one of those positions, you have to play Detroit or Nashville in the first round, but if you stay in 6th, then you get to play the winner of the weak Pacific Division (which, right now is the LA Kings who have 6 fewer points than Chicago).

Then you say, okay, but maybe the loss of Keith will make them fall in the standings? The odds are against that too - they're 6 points up in 7th place Phoenix with only 7 games left in the season. Is it possible that Phoenix or Dallas goes on a hot streak and displaces Chicago? Sure. But not probable. And if they do, then Chicago would play Vancouver, who might still be without their top goal scorer come playoff time due to the hit in question.

Again, it's absolutely ridiculous that Shanahan considers Rome's hit on Horton to be worth the equivalent of 48 games, yet Keith's more malicious hit on Sedin is worth 5 comparatively meaningless games. The worst part is, what's going to stop this from happening again to another team? Right now, nothing. There's just no real deterrent, and the reason that most Vancouver fans are angry about it is because they got the short end of the stick from both sides over the past 10 months from Shanahan.

Cake Boss

Banned
cry.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gotta give Stabutiz credit, he was brought in to do one job and he's done it well so far.

El Tigre

How is this a punishment to the Hawks at all? If you look at it from the perspective of them not being able to move up in the standings due to the loss of Keith, I'm pretty sure Chicago wouldn't want to move up to 4th or 5th. If you move up to one of those positions, you have to play Detroit or Nashville in the first round, but if you stay in 6th, then you get to play the winner of the weak Pacific Division (which, right now is the LA Kings who have 6 fewer points than Chicago).

Then you say, okay, but maybe the loss of Keith will make them fall in the standings? The odds are against that too - they're 6 points up in 7th place Phoenix with only 7 games left in the season. Is it possible that Phoenix or Dallas goes on a hot streak and displaces Chicago? Sure. But not probable. And if they do, then Chicago would play Vancouver, who might still be without their top goal scorer come playoff time due to the hit in question.

Again, it's absolutely ridiculous that Shanahan considers Rome's hit on Horton to be worth the equivalent of 48 games, yet Keith's more malicious hit on Sedin is worth 5 comparatively meaningless games. The worst part is, what's going to stop this from happening again to another team? Right now, nothing. There's just no real deterrent, and the reason that most Vancouver fans are angry about it is because they got the short end of the stick from both sides over the past 10 months from Shanahan.

So you're saying that Keith being suspended the rest of the regular season and the first round would be fair? Or maybe that's not enough either. Let's throw the book at Keith. Rest of regular season + 3 rounds of the playoffs.

All this comes down to is Canucks fans whining. Rome this, Rome that... Were you guys all up in arms about Bourque's suspension? Backstrom is still out. It just sounds like Sedin and the Canucks organization are the only ones to be affected by a head shot.

Also, what does Vancouver benefit from the length of Keith's suspension?

Thinking about it, the best moment in this year's 24/7 was Sean Avery asking if the "orange juice is unlimited" when asking for free refills.

Doan got three. Keith got five. But somehow the frame of reference is a game played LAST SEASON. Ok bud....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HOLY SHIT lol

Hat trick already, in less than six minutes!

Kifimbo

Natural hat trick in about six minutes. Wonder what's the record.

EDIT: 21 seconds holy shit !

The NHL record for fastest natural hat trick is 21 seconds, set by Bill Mosienko in 1952 for the Chicago Blackhawks.

So you're saying that Keith being suspended the rest of the regular season and the first round would be fair? Or maybe that's not enough either. Let's throw the book at Keith. Rest of regular season + 3 rounds of the playoffs.
I want a suspension that would actually serve as a deterrent. Using Shanahan's wacky math, and considering that the Rome hit was not as bad as Keith's, then that would mean the regular season plus 4 playoff games.

All this comes down to is Canucks fans whining. Rome this, Rome that...
Discounting Rome's hit and suspension is idiotic, because it was Shanahan's first act when it came to his stance on suspensions on serious and flagrant hits, and he threw the book at Rome, stating that player safety was penultimate and the suspension system was going to reflect that. It should be noted that he was also suspension-happy in the preseason, which made many consider that this mentality truly was going to be continued throughout the season...

Where you guys all up in arms about Bourque's suspension? Backstrom is still out. It just sounds like Sedin and the Canucks organization are the only ones to be affected by a head shot.
Canucks fans are mad because they got hit hard by Shanahan in terms of getting a suspension and in terms of the other team's suspension sentence, but this shouldn't be misconstrued that no one cares only about their own team and no one else. I'd never even seen the Backstrom/Bourque elbow before you mentioned it, but the core complaint in my past two posts have been that this culture of throwing elbows isn't going to change for any team unless the NHL steps in like they said they would at the end of the last season, and it's ridiculous.

quote]Also, what does Vancouver benefit from the length of Keith's suspension?[/QUOTE]
This isn't about what benefits Vancouver, it's about what hurts and deters Keith, and thus the Blackhawks. The only benefit Vancouver would get would be if they faced the Blackhawks in the playoffs without Keith, but that's irrelevant.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Absolutely unreal. Cole = best offseason signing. First time since 2006 Habs have had 2 30 goal scorers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So removing the goalie was only useful to make it clear there would be no options left a minute later, lol.

The Kings are probably #2 on my list of teams I want to fail. Fuck them I hope they miss the playoffs this year.

Something about you man, I dunno what it is, but I kinda feel really close to you now. You feel it too?

And yeah, just because Dustin Penner is a Queen doesn't make me hate them any less.

Have we deteriorated into the level of dumb beasts?

Is there no communication in this car?

THAT'S IT! BACK TO WINNIPEG!

A Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas quote replied back with a Simpsons quote? Hold me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Only the Canucks matter...

Are you even reading what we're saying? We're not saying ONLY KEITH should be punished harsher. We're saying EVERYONE should be punished harder, by the standard set against Rome last SCF. By that standard, the Doan hit would've been like 10+ games and the Keith hit 20 or whatever. Or are you agreeing that 5 games for an illegal elbow that gives someone a concussion is fair? It's not scaring off ANY team from doing the exact same thing again. This isn't about the Canucks/Keith, this is about general league punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom