• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Dat Kadri shootout goal!

Holy shit just saw it. Did you all see those moves?

QX8Aj.gif

Manics was right the whole time.

Whoa Kadri

Shocked and saddened by the Leafs win, we need to fail for nail

Oh and I too went to see 21 Jump Street........Yorkdale was full of kids wearing Hunger Games shirts.......I had no idea that movie was aimed at little kids

Snaku

Banned
As much as I appreciate the breather this bye week is giving me in my fantasy league, I can't help but watch the other players going at it and wanting in on the action. Benefits and drawbacks of being in first I guess.

Anybody else's playoffs begin?

You guys need to keep a closer eye on that thread there. Jesus. :lol

I agree they should be longer across the board. Part of me is glad (assuming we don't lose a bunch now) that he can get a bit of a break, but part of me is still pissed about the Doan vs Keith suspension length thing.

Pretty much, that's the only thing that doesn't sit right with me at all. Especially since they literally happened days after each other, it seems completely arbitrary.

Edit: And yay, at rags sucking and pens having a shot to be top of the east.

Fixed1979

Lmao. Reading the reactions of Canucks fans on hfboards to the Keith suspension is hilarious. I just still don't see how they justify 5 when Doan got 3 as a repeat offender. I expect to see Sedin make a miraculous recovery now.

Good to see the Jets winning. Still hope they sneak in.

Also, on NHL.com: "Caps win in OT"

:lol

I believe Doan's hit wasn't completely intentional just being careless, he also hit a man who had just previously had possession of the puck. IMO Keith targeted the heat with his elbow of a player who had not touched the puck nor was in a position to make a play on the puck. There was also the thoughts of retaliation that Keith may have had. Although they're both elbowing suspensions I wouldn't classify them as anywhere the same thing there's more to consider here than prior history.

Just to add a little more to the consistency discussion of the Keith ban, take a look at this elbow to the head on Hejda after he dropped to his knee. Torres had enough time to let up, wasn't committed to the hit before Hejda dropped but still went through with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckGdkYJsCg

No ban for Torres. He was fined $2,500. It's funny to me that the league recognized the hit enough to fine Torres for it but not enough to do anything about it. Great message to send, especially to that shit head.

If Raffi Torres can get away with head hits don't be shocked to see star players get a little leniency. I think 6 or 7 would've been the sweet spot for the Keith ban in regards to how suspensions have been handled this year, but like a few others around here I think suspensions in general need to be longer.

The people talking about first round ban are unhinged. Yes it sucks that one of your top players is out of the lineup now but should player status be considered during bans? Of course not. Why should a guy get a longer ban because he took out a 1st liner rather than a 4th? Bigger contracts should not = bigger consideration for punishment. That's a good way to cause a fair amount of unrest within the NHLPA except for the '1%', so to speak. Make suspensions longer in general and that'll be an effective deterrent.

Not defending all of Torres' hits, but saying he had enough time to let up is silly. Torres was already leaning into it when Hejda started going down.

Not defending all of Torres' hits, but saying he had enough time to let up is silly. Torres was already leaning into it when Hejda started going down.

Except for the part where he shifted his body weight into the hit even more after Hejda went down. He was leaning into it about three feet away before Hejda went down, but his angle was more of a passing angle than right into Hejda. There was enough time to back off, it's not as if he was already hitting Hejda just as he dropped to his knee. Plenty of situations like this happen and yet you rarely see a guy go through with the hit when he has time to back off or at the very least move his body to avoid as much contact as possible. If you watch Torres knees he brings his body up and into the hit as he makes contact.

Socreges

Banned
At first I thought it was kinda bad that Daniel had an elbow deliberately launched into his face, forcing him to miss minimum two weeks. But when I considered how the offender plays for the Hawks? Well that just made me angry.

Nonexistantpicofhomersimpsonifyoucanttelliwasbeingsarcastic.gif

And I appreciate that salty Hawks fans have taken complete ownership over the word salty and started using it indiscriminately. It's the right (salty) move. [/salty]

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
...I really don't see how you can watch that elbow and argue that.

I think by "intentional" in this context he means "not planned for 5 minutes after getting hit by the very same player". more like, planned for 5 seconds within the same play vs. planned for 5mins waiting for a chance to hit the guy back.

I'm glad to see more people agreeing to the general "5 games for Keith is fine within the context of bans that have been handed out this season, but bans should be generally longer".

CCF23

Two things I totally didn't realize:

1. The Sens are only 2 points ahead of 9th place now. I thought they were home and cool for a playoff spot. If I'm a top seed I'd be hoping the Sens stay in...Buffalo has been playing some good hockey for awhile now and Miller is on fire.

2. The Wings have the worst record in the NHL over the last 10 games at 2-6-2. I knew they were struggling, but not that badly.

Quick

Banned
Holy shit just saw it. Did you all see those moves?

QX8Aj.gif

Manics was right the whole time.

Couldn't watch the game, glad to see Kardi get the game winner. Dat move!

Whoa Kadri

Shocked and saddened by the Leafs win, we need to fail for nail

Oh and I too went to see 21 Jump Street........Yorkdale was full of kids wearing Hunger Games shirts.......I had no idea that movie was aimed at little kids

I still need to see 21 Jump Street. I'm also tempted to watch The Hunger Games.

Time to watch this move to see what the fuss is about.

Edit: Eh. Probably not too impressed because it sounded like he sprouted wings and shot from the rafters judging from your guys' reactions. Not bad though.

Revenant

At first I thought it was kinda bad that Daniel had an elbow deliberately launched into his face, forcing him to miss minimum two weeks. But when I considered how the offender plays for the Hawks? Well that just made me angry.

Nonexistantpicofhomersimpsonifyoucanttelliwasbeingsarcastic.gif

And I appreciate that salty Hawks fans have taken complete ownership over the word salty and started using it indiscriminately. It's the right (salty) move. [/salty]

tumblr_lbuovq4sph1qzj01e.gif

Nice move by Kadri, definitely a slick finish.

Marvie_3

Banned

1. The Sens are only 2 points ahead of 9th place now. I thought they were home and cool for a playoff spot. If I'm a top seed I'd be hoping the Sens stay in...Buffalo has been playing some good hockey for awhile now and Miller is on fire.

2. The Wings have the worst record in the NHL over the last 10 games at 2-6-2. I knew they were struggling, but not that badly.
They were until they decided to only win 3 of their last 10 games.

Alucard

Banned
Watching my Penguins DVD box set. Currently watching the Pens win their first Cup against the Minnesota North Stars. Mike Lange is fantastic.

"Jagr scores for the first time since the eighth grade picnic."

Alucard

Banned

Filth

Just landed in Canada. Rangers vs jets in a few days. Can't wait to see how Winnipeg reacts to my rangers jersey :)

He's probably too busy watching his beloved Carolina Panthers.

This is not funny after going out last night and people asking me about the panthers wearing my Garrard jersey. :|

Have you watched the "In the Room" episodes on the Pens' official site? The series is obviously not as raw as HBO's 24/7, but you still get to see a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff from the start of the season until now. There are 8 episodes currently available.

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1245

I've seen a couple but haven't sat down and watched all of them. I probably should since the 24/7 stuff was always pretty enjoyable.

I'm sorry, next time I'll make my complaints even more vocal. Pretty sure I have had a good enough reason to be completely pissed off the last 10 games, but nope can't complain when you are a "top" team right?

Speaking of which, lost number 7 in a row happening tonight? I mean we play a pretty weak team called Carolina, so of course we shall do our best to make them look like a bunch of All Stars, wonderful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom