• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erdrick

Be at ease, Leafs-fans. You'll be in much better hands with Carlyle (And Arniel?) than you ever were with Ron Wilson. When Carlyle and Arniel coached here respectively for the AHL Moose, they were both very solid coaches. Not that it matters as much at this point, but I also enjoyed them both with the old Jets as players. Carlyle was one of the last guys to not wear a helmet in the league. Retired a year after Selanne's rookie season. (Hence why Teemu changed from #13 to #8 when Randy hung up his skates.)

While I may not be able to stand the Leafs, at least you guys now have some potential coaching staff that actually have a clue about how to produce a winning formula.

Glad they both have work again.*

*Provided the Arniel rumour is true.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
one thing i find funny looking back in 2008 threads... when the leafs signed wilson... none of us seemed to even care. the only person who set any expectations was fifty... "I'll only get excited when I see results and not until then"

basically... as much as toronto was glad maurice was shown the door, we didn't exactly expect the disaster we were walking into with ron wilson.

Us fans wanted a tough coach because maurice was soft. He didn't have his emotions in check at all times. Wilson... dude doesn't even have emotions.

I'm actually excited.

Acid08

Banned
one thing i find funny looking back in 2008 threads... when the leafs signed wilson... none of us seemed to even care. the only person who set any expectations was fifty... "I'll only get excited when I see results and not until then"

basically... as much as toronto was glad maurice was shown the door, we didn't exactly expect the disaster we were walking into with ron wilson.

Us fans wanted a tough coach because maurice was soft. He didn't have his emotions in check at all times. Wilson... dude doesn't even have emotions.

I'm actually excited.

Did we try to warn you?

kassatsu

Banned
Pens needs to make up 5 games on the Rangers. We have 2 games against them still. So if we win both those it is only 3 games to make up.

Totally doable.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
uLyQP.jpg

:lol I've seen better photoshop on gaf

gaming_noob

I was just about to sleep and checking quick updates on my Iphone and I let out a big yelp when I saw the wilson firing headline. This is great news but bad timing. Wilson could've gotten the leafs a top 5 pick this draft.

cube444

I love it because now it is Burke who will get fired next after he is done using up all his excuses and the blame game while giving nothing but lies to Leaf fans since he got hired.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why is Edmonton still so fucking bad? Jesus quit sucking so goddamn much for once please, we need that 2nd pick.

Beez

Banned
Oh wow I didn't even realize there was a dedicated hockey thread here. I usually just check my subscribed threads on here lol.

So I'm a Leafs fan although I have to admit I haven't really watched the team in a number of years since the days of Sundin. I just heard that they fired the coach Wilson, should I be happy about this new guy? My dad said he used to play for the Leafs a long time ago I guess that's good.

Anyway I have a lot of catching up to do, when is the next game and who are we playing?

Cactus

Banned
Under the bus sums it up. It's the Burke "deflect attention to save job" strategy.

Burke put together a playoff calibre roster, though. The Leafs were 8 games over 500 at one point in the season.

The fact that the team has gone 1-9-1 down the stretch is largely due to inept coaching. There has been no discernible alteration of strategy despite the glaring issues that have become evident over the last month. Everything is breaking down, and he (according to a couple players) doesn't even talk to the players about games, win or lose. Couple that with Wilson regularly being out-coached (ie, double shifting David Steckel and Joey Crabb against Hossa and Kane) and his unwillingness to take any blame during post-game, and you have a guy that definitely deserved to be fired.

I love it because now it is Burke who will get fired next after he is done using up all his excuses and the blame game while giving nothing but lies to Leaf fans since he got hired.

I think he's definitely on thin ice. Even though he's done a lot of good (mainly concerning the rebuild of the team's prospect pool) he's said a lot of shit too. If this signing doesn't work out and next year is another disappointment, I think he'll step down and let dave Nonis take over as GM.

Acid08

Banned
Oh wow I didn't even realize there was a dedicated hockey thread here. I usually just check my subscribed threads on here lol.

So I'm a Leafs fan although I have to admit I haven't really watched the team in a number of years since the days of Sundin. I just heard that they fired the coach Wilson, should I be happy about this new guy? My dad said he used to play for the Leafs a long time ago I guess that's good.

Anyway I have a lot of catching up to do, when is the next game and who are we playing?

Cool, another one.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

to put a damper on things... ron wilson also played for the maple leafs lol

Quick

Banned

Welcome!

Next game is tomorrow against the Habs in Montreal. Carlyle's first game.

Wilson was a former Leaf, too, so that's not exactly a stamp of excellence. The media seems to think that he's a good hire, I'm not going to get hyped over it until I see results in the long term.

Beez

Banned
Welcome!

Next game is tomorrow against the Habs in Montreal. Carlyle's first game.

Wilson was a former Leaf, too, so that's not exactly a stamp of excellence. The media seems to think that he's a good hire, I'm not going to get hyped over it until I see results in the long term.

Oh man I'm supposed to see the new Reese Witherspoon movie tomorrow with my sister she'll hate me if I cancel on her. The Habs huh those are usually good games too.

Ok, so NHL Gaf seems reasonably sure that Carlyle is an improvement over Wilson. I guess that he's actually won a cup means something, I'm just not sure what. The memories of Paul Maurice, emotional coach of the league, remain vivid in my mind.

Even with a new coach, we still have 2 broken goalies, a defense that is laughably ineffective, and only one line that can score. F@#k, and Bozak is once again our #1 centre. I hope Carlyle is a religious man, because he's going to need a miracle to make this work.

Ok, so NHL Gaf seems reasonably sure that Carlyle is an improvement over Wilson. I guess that he's actually won a cup means something, I'm just not sure what. The memories of Paul Maurice, emotional coach of the league, remain vivid in my mind.

Even with a new coach, we still have 2 broken goalies, a defense that is laughably ineffective, and only one line that can score. F@#k, and Bozak is once again our #1 centre. I hope Carlyle is a religious man, because he's going to need a miracle to make this work.

From what I hear on other places, Carlyle likes cycling / dump and chase, physical play, has a more defensive system that sounds like it could suit our defensemen better, and seems to play more strategically, including adjusting versus teams. So it sounds like we're at least guaranteed to play differently than under Wilson, which is good to hear. Absolutely agree that goaltending is still a problem, and I'm left wondering how our mostly soft players will handle a cycling style, as board play is one of our weakest areas (something that needs improvement big time, both in the defensive and offensive zones). At least our goalies should be a bit more sheltered while they work out their problems. Ducks fans here would know best about his tendencies though, I'm sure.

If rumors are true about the Leafs being one of those few teams that were originally in discussions with LA on Brown, he would add a lot to the team in that respect if he's still available during the summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the teams that fired coaches this year and their current conference position:

Washington - 9th
Carolina - 13th
Montreal - 15th

St. Louis - 4th
LA - 9th
Anaheim -13th
Columbus - 15th

St. Louis seems to be the only team that's improved since a coaching change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the teams that fired coaches this year and their current conference position:

Washington - 9th
Carolina - 13th
Montreal - 15th

St. Louis - 4th
LA - 9th
Anaheim -13th
Columbus - 15th

St. Louis seems to be the only team that's improved since a coaching change.

The Ducks had been pretty hot since firing Carlyle lol

Home

Yay Wilson was fired. What a pleasant surprise to come home to.

Kinda meh on Carlyle, but a hockey stick with a "Hello my name is coach" sticker is better at this point.

Parch

Burke put together a playoff calibre roster, though. The Leafs were 8 games over 500 at one point in the season.

A playoff calibre roster actually makes the playoffs. The Leafs got off to a hot start mainly due to Kessel's fine start. But since Kessel was once the points leader, that doesn't mean he's a Hart trophy calibre player either.

The recent slide makes it obvious, but the Leafs have been slipping all season after the hot start. They've leveled off to the type of roster they actually are. They've never had a playoff calibre roster.

When it was obvious that the Leafs had deficiencies and Burke still chose to do nothing, it was a mistake. This recent slump makes it real easy for him to blame the coach instead.

The Leafs were 8 games over 500 at one point in the season.
The Wilds were top in the league at one point in this season and the Oilers top of the West. What's your point? Most of the top teams were doing miserable early in the season, Boston, Vancouver, Detroit, New York, etc. The shitty teams all took advantage and got early leads but dropped off the earth once all the good teams started to find their grooves again.

Also, if you think two shitty back-up tenders and absolutely no legitimate top six centreman is tantamount to a playoff calibre team, then you're out of your fucking mind

Cactus

Banned
A playoff calibre roster actually makes the playoffs. The Leafs got off to a hot start mainly due to Kessel's fine start. But since Kessel was once the points leader, that doesn't mean he's a Hart trophy calibre player either.

The recent slide makes it obvious, but the Leafs have been slipping all season after the hot start. They've leveled off to the type of roster they actually are. They've never had a playoff calibre roster.

When it was obvious that the Leafs had deficiencies and Burke still chose to do nothing, it was a mistake. This recent slump makes it real easy for him to blame the coach instead.

You kind of ignored the rest of my post. Wilson's poor coaching was a big part of this recent slide. Before the last 11 games the Leafs were firmly in 7th place and only really needed to play 500 hockey over the last 25 games to make the playoffs.

Obviously a lot of blame should fall on Burke, specifically for the goalie situation, but Wilson should have been fired before the trade deadline when it became apparent that he wasn't going to make the necessary adjustments to the system.

The Wilds were top in the league at one point in this season and the Oilers top of the West. What's your point? Most of the top teams were doing miserable early in the season, Boston, Vancouver, Detroit, New York, etc. The shitty teams all took advantage and got early leads but dropped off the earth once all the good teams started to find their grooves again.

Also, if you think two shitty back-up tenders and absolutely no legitimate top six centreman is tantamount to a playoff calibre team, then you're out of your fucking mind

On paper, the Leafs aren't any worse than the Panthers or Jets yet those teams currently hold playoff positions. Why? Because they play systems which suit their players while Wilson is still playing an all-out offensive style 65 games into the season when 20+ other teams are bucking down defensively and trying to make a push for the playoffs. Like I said above, before the 1-9-1 slide, the Leafs were a playoff team. They were a playoff team for more than 2/3 of the season. They were unprepared for the stretch run (Wilson's fault) yet haven't made any sort of change to try and get back on track (Wilson's fault again).

Also, the bolded is incorrect.

Cactus

Banned
Leafs have bozak, grabovski, connolly and kadri

that sounds like 4 players that can all suitably play on the 2nd line as the bare minimum.

unless you meant no #1 center?

He must have meant #1 center because the Leafs have three centers in the top 60 in points per 60 minutes for that position.

Grabovski is #24 in the league among centers who have played at least 20 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom