• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPW

no playoffs for cammy? fuck yeah!

i think leafs are due a win vs habs which is fine by me cause it helps habs tank

eUrNp.png

That's a hell of a question, Sportsnet.

Socreges

Banned
Burke put together a playoff calibre roster, though. The Leafs were 8 games over 500 at one point in the season.
So were Minnesota and a couple other teams. Good teams go through terrible stretches. Playoff calibre teams... still make the playoffs. Leafs have their chance still, but if they fall short I don't think this falls at Wilson's feet. He was also the coach during their hot stretches, IIRC...

Leafs need better goaltending. No coach in the world will overcome that. Maybe Reimer/Gustavsson will see this as a fresh start, though.

Alucard

Banned
The Leafs will experience the new coach bump, but as has already been mentioned, you can't put bad goaltending on a coach.

This firing does make Burke look a little silly, and like he didn't properly assess the team when he gave Wilson his extension.

cube444

Sure our Montreal team is in 28th but I remember Laff fans making fun of us while gloating about being in the playoffs but you sit at 25th this morning. Hahaha.

UberTag

Does it really matter who wins in the Battle for Irrelevancy that is Toronto vs. Montreal?
GAF should be talking about teams that actually matter.

Such as the rest of the Original 6 teams who happen to be winners.
Or all of the other teams in Canada (apart from the Oilers).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The Leafs will experience the new coach bump, but as has already been mentioned, you can't put bad goaltending on a coach.

This firing does make Burke look a little silly, and like he didn't properly assess the team when he gave Wilson his extension.

You can't put bad goaltending, but you sure as hell can put team energy, defense (which you can argue is necessary for great goaltending), passing, power play, penalty kill, transition, wall pressure, shitty line matching and basically everything else on the coach

The only thing a coach can't do is stop the puck from going in to the net (on either end) but te systems they employ can maximize chances for and minimize chances against. You can't teach offense (it's more tied to skill) but you can teach defense. Defense wins championships for a reason - everyone can be defensive, not everyone can be a scoring threat

If a goaltender only has to stop permimeter shots as opposed to shots 15 feet away from the net in the slot, their ability to stop the puck is greatly increased. Leafs have the tools to play suffocating defense but under Ron Wilson they chose to trade chances instead, which is not the system you should employ with the goalies we have, the forwards we have and especially the defense we have.

Sure our Montreal team is in 28th but I remember Laff fans making fun of us while gloating about being in the playoffs but you sit at 25th this morning. Hahaha.

Have the Habs been in a playoff spot at any point this season?

Anyway, I had a nightmare that Lupul was claimed off waivers.

Stet

Banned
Carlyle admitting he didn't use Lupul correctly in Anaheim. Called him Lupes. I think we're okay.

This just in: Carlyle has always dreamed of coaching the Toronto Maple Leafs, ever since he was a young kid in Southern Ontario.

Merguson

Banned
Damn those language restrictions! Anyways..

The one thing I hope from Randy Carlyle is that he fixes the team's defensive play which has been terrible under Ron Wilson's run-and-gun style. There's a defensive system that the players can buy into, hopefully.

I don't think goaltending has been the main problem but it shouldn't be excused. It's our defensive play, without a doubt.

Carlyle also admitted he made a mistake with Lupul in Anaheim, so there's a good start there.. at least.

I'm not expecting anything miraculous this season but it gives Carlyle an idea of the team's strengths and weakness going into next season.

Allons-y!

Latrine!

600px-TopSecretHiPower.png

(weird how that guy kind of looks like Wilson)

The press conference was informative. It was weird seeing a Leafs coach not speaking sardonically with the media - though Burke certainly threw a few gauntlets during his Q&A time.

Sure, Burke's obviously overrating this team when he calls it ready for the playoffs. The Flyers, Rangers, Pens and Bruins are playoff ready teams, we're most certainly a bubble team. But when the team completely falls off the rails (10 losses in 11 tries?) there's nothing else a GM can do but remove the coach. That kind of collapse speaks to the coach losing the dressing room.

Beez

Banned
Wow just watched the press conference and I'm so excited for the game. My dad is telling me I'm an idiot and will waste my time watching the Leafs (he used to watch all the time but now says things will never get better). My sis was ok with not going to a movie tonight so I can watch my first game in years!

Marvie_3

Banned
Latrine!

600px-TopSecretHiPower.png

(weird how that guy kind of looks like Wilson)

The press conference was informative. It was weird seeing a Leafs coach not speaking sardonically with the media - though Burke certainly threw a few gauntlets during his Q&A time.

Sure, Burke's obviously overrating this team when he calls it ready for the playoffs. The Flyers, Rangers, Pens and Bruins are playoff ready teams, we're most certainly a bubble team. But when the team completely falls off the rails (10 losses in 11 tries?) there's nothing else a GM can do but remove the coach. That kind of collapse speaks to the coach losing the dressing room.
True, unless you're Stan Bowman.

BWG didn't think so.

I admit this. Not gonna get me to admit he helped the Flyers though. Look at the special teams rankings while he was here. The Flyers were extremely good at 5on5 but were awful on the PK and PP when he was here. I take that as a sign that he rode the talent that we had here, but was unable to implement systems that made the team better than a sum of its parts.

Merguson

Banned
I admit this. Not gonna get me to admit he helped the Flyers though. Look at the special teams rankings while he was here. The Flyers were extremely good at 5on5 but were awful on the PK and PP when he was here. I take that as a sign that he rode the talent that we had here, but was unable to implement systems that made the team better than a sum of its parts.

Don't assistant coaches usually handle special teams?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Part of my frustration with Wilson is how he didn't change tactics when things weren't working. I know you shouldn't always knee jerk react, but for fuck's sake he was so stubborn. I can't imagine as a player banging your head against a wall and it not working and having your coach stare and say "Let's go, boys!"

Edit: Also, STFU ROENICK!

Erdrick

Part of my frustration with Wilson is how he didn't change tactics when things weren't working. I know you shouldn't always knee jerk react, but for fuck's sake he was so stubborn. I can't imagine as a player banging your head against a wall and it not working and having your coach stare and say "Let's go, boys!"

Edit: Also, STFU ROENICK!

What did he say?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Has any GM been fired around this time in the season? McPhee really needs to go. He has no ambition to improve the team and is responsible for this mediocre roster.

ZeroGravity

Win tonight and Tampa is two points back of Winnipeg with a game in hand. I don't expect it though, given how tough the game was last night.

Erdrick

Win tonight and Tampa is two points back of Winnipeg with a game in hand. I don't expect it though, given how tough the game was last night.

The game against you guys at home at the end of the month could be very interesting... Especially after our near-loss near the end last game here. Looking forward to the game.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have a bad feeling about this game, but the Bruins need to win because tomorrow will surely be a loss.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Lucic! Good hands. Some nice stuff by Rolston there.

Montresor

Are you rooting for an epic Leafs Talk?

Does anybody think the Leafs will make the playoffs anymore?

http://i.imgur.com/vZJyX.jpg[IMG]

Taken from [URL="http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Northeast/Toronto.html"]here.[/URL][/QUOTE]

That sucks, but I'm still hopeful Toronto can make the playoffs. =(

Took my Dad to the Hawks/Sens game last night. The Hawks are his team so it was a good game for him to see but not really much to cheer about except Lehner standing on his head. I even missed the only sens goal when I went to grab another beer.

vatstep

Oh shit, Rask hurt? Hope it's just a stinger or something. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom