• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I like the way the standings are done, honestly. It ensures that each division has a presence in the post season and keeps a section of teams from becoming somehow irrelevant. That would hurt the game more than anything, if the Southeast Division, which is already kind of the league's laughing stock, didn't make the playoffs. Fans would have no reason to care or attend games and the rivalries might dry up if teams had nothing to compete for.

Let's be honest, if a team squeaks into the third seed and has less points than the 9th place squad, they aren't going to go very deep anyway.

I like the way the standings are done, honestly. It ensures that each division has a presence in the post season and keeps a section of teams from becoming somehow irrelevant. That would hurt the game more than anything, if the Southeast Division, which is already kind of the league's laughing stock, didn't make the playoffs. Fans would have no reason to care or attend games and the rivalries might dry up if teams had nothing to compete for.

Let's be honest, if a team squeaks into the third seed and has less points than the 9th place squad, they aren't going to go very deep anyway.

Flyers are 4th and 6th in the LEAGUE, let alone the conference, but get 4th and 5th in the conference cuz the Atlantic Division is a powerhouse. Rather ridiculous. Not to mention they have to play eachother in the first round.... And the Flyers lose home ice pretty much throughough... And the Pens probably won't get home ice if they make it out of the first either....

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At least we'll have someone here to tell us how it feels to watch Parise walk away this off season :D

OnPoint

Flyers are 4th and 6th in the LEAGUE, let alone the conference, but get 4th and 5th in the conference cuz the Atlantic Division is a powerhouse. Rather ridiculous. Not to mention they have to play eachother in the first round.... And the Flyers lose home ice pretty much throughough... And the Pens probably won't get home ice if they make it out of the first either....

If the league continues on with a divisional format then each division should be represented in the post season.

Should they be third, though? Probably not. If they're going to do it based on divisional representation, they shouldn't penalize teams with greater records for not being in a shittier group. So sure, rank them by points when it comes to home ice. While I could see the argument that home ice would also help fledgling teams, it's not nearly as strong a point.

Of course, we could always point toward them or the Flyers getting home ice by winning the division. I still think home ice as a perk to work toward is a neat way to ensure compete levels are staying high late in the season.

They're the 6th seed matched up against Florida as the 3rd seed. Devils win that series easily.

I think you are selling Florida short. The Devils are not a good team at all. They were horrible the beginning and have turned things around a it but I think the Panthers are definitely a better team. 2 years ago the Devils got the Flyers in the 1st round and had homeice and they were crazy lucky to even win a game. I just dont see they having what it takes to win a playoff series in the NHL.

At least we'll have someone here to tell us how it feels to watch Parise walk away this off season :D

God that is going to be such a great moment. I will have to do something special to celebrate.

If the league continues on with a divisional format then each division should be represented in the post season.

Should they be third, though? Probably not. If they're going to do it based on divisional representation, they shouldn't penalize teams with greater records for not being in a shittier group. So sure, rank them by points when it comes to home ice. While I could see the argument that home ice would also help fledgling teams, it's not nearly as strong a point.

Of course, we could always point toward them or the Flyers getting home ice by winning the division. I still think home ice as a perk to work toward is a neat way to ensure compete levels are staying high late in the season.

Matchups are important as well. Flyers should not be playing the Pens in the first round. That matchup shouldn't happen til at least the second round. Especially considering each round makes national attention easier with fewer matchups and more timeslots open on any given night.

OnPoint

Matchups are important as well. Flyers should not be playing the Pens in the first round. That matchup shouldn't happen til at least the second round. Especially considering each round makes national attention easier with fewer matchups and more timeslots open on any given night.

Eh, this doesn't bother me as much. I like the way it works now being based on points when it comes to matchups. It should, in theory, also mix up the matchups from year to year.

Besides, it's better for other teams (perhaps the Sabres, who knows) if one of you two are gone by the time someone gets to the 2nd round haha

Socreges

Banned
The system is designed to have proportional representation (by region) in the playoffs. It's for the strength of the league.

Win your division, Flyers fans, and you won't have to worry about it.

troll_icons_2_28891_7697_thumb.png

yankeehater said:
The Devils are not a good team at all.
Not at all? Then why'd you guys split the season series with them? Why are you only four points ahead?

[edit] Schneider to start tonight versus the Avs.

Marvie_3

Banned
I think you are selling Florida short. The Devils are not a good team at all. They were horrible the beginning and have turned things around a it but I think the Panthers are definitely a better team. 2 years ago the Devils got the Flyers in the 1st round and had homeice and they were crazy lucky to even win a game. I just dont see they having what it takes to win a playoff series in the NHL.
Florida is under .500 and the only reason they're even sniffing the playoffs is because of 15 loser points. They also have a goal differential of -19 despite playing in a shit division. Finally, Jose Theodore is their goalie. What exactly makes this team so good?
Islanders fan :eek:
toro has posted in here before.

Flyers-GAF doing their best to wrestle the crown of "saltiest fanbase" away from Blues-GAF right now. You'd think the Devils ran a train on each of their mothers. Holy fuck.

Curufinwe

I hope the Flyers don't play the Pens in any round. The only way I see Philly winning that series is if Crosby and Pronger's PCS symptoms were reversed.

Not at all? Then why'd you guys split the season series with them? Why are you only four points ahead?

Flyers have been very inconsistant, sometimes teams lose to lesser teams especially when they are in the same division, plus the Flyers are not that good either this year.
Florida is under .500 and the only reason they're even sniffing the playoffs is because of 15 loser points. They also have a goal differential of -19 despite playing in a shit division. Finally, Jose Theodore is their goalie. What exactly makes this team so good?

How many shootout wins do the Devils have? Devils and Panthers both have 31 ROW and Florida will have homeice for that series where they are 20-9.

Flyers-GAF doing their best to wrestle the crown of "saltiest fanbase" away from Blues-GAF right now. You'd think the Devils ran a train on each of their mothers. Holy fuck.

I was being more tongue in cheek than anything before... I hate the Devils like any rival, but I don't really care about the new guy. Thought that came across in how over the top I was. O well.

But yeah the standings thing bugs me a little bit. I don't want the Pens first round. It also makes our potential path look like Pens, Bruins, Rags which is just completely fucked.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ready for the shitshow tonight! Wonder if anyone shows up or if it's just coast till the schedule is over.

The latter. Canucks couldn't care less and Colorado has given up (?), it will
be even more boring than the Nucks-Queens game.... Oh god.

OnPoint

toro has posted in here before.

Losing games awarding points is the biggest problem. If you lose in OT and the shootout you shouldn't get a point. Hands down. Two points for a win, no points for a loss. That should be it.

ZeroGravity

Florida's not a very good team, but they're still hard to beat, which is why they end up in OT/shootouts so often. If they can force that in the playoffs, well, anything can happen.

Marvie_3

Banned
Flyers have been very inconsistant, sometimes teams lose to lesser teams especially when they are in the same division, plus the Flyers are not that good either this year.

How many shootout wins do the Devils have? Devils and Panthers both have 31 ROW and Florida will have homeice for that series where they are 20-9.
The Devils still won. Florida is where they are because of games they lost.

Regular season might as well be over for us, none of the upcoming games are at all worth watching. Canucks couldn't have given a shit before they clinched, now they're going to give even less of a shit, if that's even possible.

Henrik will literally disappear at times and just refuse to step on ice during shifts.

Revenant

Regular season might as well be over for us, none of the upcoming games are at all worth watching. Canucks couldn't have given a shit before they clinched, now they're going to give even less of a shit, if that's even possible.

Henrik will literally disappear at times and just refuse to step on ice during shifts.

So he'll be in playoff form in no time!

The Devils still won. Florida is where they are because of games they lost.

I actually think Florida may have more playoff experience in their locker room though. Not saying I think Florida wins hands down, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devs lose. I haven't followed them extremely closely, but isn't their position largely due to one major push this year? If they're not at that same level come playoffs they'd hardly be a favorite.

Socreges

Banned
Or. The opposite of everything you just said.

If players don't care then they'll play less responsibly on defense and there will be more chances.

But they will care. They just played each other four days ago, Avs will be desperate for a win, and the Canucks have their reasons as well.

Smiley90

I hope we get to play the Hawks during the first round.

BATTLE OF WHOSE POWERPLAY IS SHITTIER

Hawks PP actually makes me feel good about ours, and that's quite the achievement.

I think Hawks and Nucks are prepared for a penalty-rich series and just want to make sure games don't end too high-scoring.

Marvie_3

Banned
I actually think Florida may have more playoff experience in their locker room though. Not saying I think Florida wins hands down, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devs lose. I haven't followed them extremely closely, but isn't their position largely due to one major push this year? If they're not at that same level come playoffs they'd hardly be a favorite.

No and this is irrelevant anyway. New Jersey has a better record, has scored more goals, and has given up fewer goals all while playing in a MUCH tougher division than Florida has.

Or. The opposite of everything you just said.

If players don't care then they'll play less responsibly on defense and there will be more chances.

But they will care. They just played each other four days ago, Avs will be desperate for a win, and the Canucks have their reasons as well.
I don't get why the Canucks wouldn't care at this point. They still have a chance at 1st in the West.
Hawks PP actually makes me feel good about ours, and that's quite the achievement.

I think Hawks and Nucks are prepared for a penalty-rich series and just want to make sure games don't end too high-scoring.
Chicago's PP should make anyone feel good about anything. "My wife got shot by the mailman and my kid burned down the school? That really sucks but its still better than the Blackhawks PP"

No and this is irrelevant anyway. New Jersey has a better record, has scored more goals, and has given up fewer goals all while playing in a MUCH tougher division than Florida has.

Of course. But I would certainly say that performance heading into the playoffs is pretty relevant. Look at the Flyers last year. One of the best teams all year only to fall apart the more important the games got.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Do we still talk about Mass Effect in here?

I just finished ME1 a few nights ago fantastic game, popped in ME2 a night ago and Jesus Christ shit continued to get real. I really curious to see how ME3 apparently fucks all this up.

edit: Oh and also umm yeah Leafs.

I just finished ME1 a few nights ago fantastic game, popped in ME2 a night ago and Jesus Christ shit continued to get real. I really curious to see how ME3 apparently fucks all this up.

Enjoy ME2 for as long as you can. Highlight of the series.

Acid08

Banned

ME1 is indeed great. I'm playing through 2 right now as well, on Illium doing stuff. Feeling like I've been on that planet forever.

Thread gets moved to community and all these fans come out of nowhere. Clearly a conspiracy by the mods to make us think it was a good idea. They must all be fake accounts. They almost had us believe that Jersey has fans. Nice try mods.

Socreges

Banned
I don't get why the Canucks wouldn't care at this point. They still have a chance at 1st in the West.
Right. Maybe a month ago they were finding it hard to get motivated, but now they've got home ice to play for and with the playoffs right around the corner.

Smiley90

I haven't found time for the 3rd yet over papers due, but nothing will ever beat the epicness of the speech Shepard gives in ME1 when he first takes command of the Normandy.

Also, dat Leafs home record. Not that Carlyle could've done anything to prevent the Leafs missing the playoffs... I hope they stick with him for a while and give him a real chance.

Enjoy the fuck out of Shepard's awkward exists from conversations.

"I should go."

Marvie_3

Banned
Of course. But I would certainly say that performance heading into the playoffs is pretty relevant. Look at the Flyers last year. One of the best teams all year only to fall apart the more important the games got.
Both teams have 17 points this month so there isn't much to go on. Devils have had a tougher schedule this month though so I give them a slight edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom