• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
People will attribute different values to Schneider (often seems to depend on how much they've seen him play), but what matters is that Gillis' price is very high and he'll wait for a team that's willing to pay it. Good thing is that with every game Schneider's value goes up and this will only continue if he gets time in the playoffs.

Assuming serious and not troll/joke post

2nd, Schenn + something else. Even then that would be pushing it for a goalie from a good team that can score itself out of trouble and who has yet to play a full season. With Loluongo signed as long as he is though, I would think Schneider would prefer to go to a team where he's 'the man'. Lots of teams out there looking for a potential #1.
:lol scoring itself out of trouble. Good one.

I can't imagine the Canucks having any interest in Schenn. They like a system of good skating and mobile defensemen, Schenn just doesn't fit that. We'd want Gardiner or at the very least Franson.

As for teams who are in dire need of an undisputed starter, there aren't many. Hawks, Devils, Oilers, Lightnings and Leafs are the only real ones I can think of. I don't even know what the Hawks would give up for Schneider.

Socreges

Banned
Hawks have Crawford, as shaky as he's been this season. They wouldn't trade for Schneider and holy fuck the Canucks wouldn't send him there.

It's a moot point to discuss regardless. I don't think he'll end up here and I don't think he is so good that he'd save us because if he was, he'd be a #1 in Vancouver right now.

The few Canucks games I have watched, Luongo has been in net.
Schneider isn't #1 because the Canucks have backed themselves into a corner with the Luongo contract, not because he doesn't deserve it. Try actually watching Schneider play.

OK enough about Schneider from me.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lol Gus might have injured himself in pregame

Rynnas time likely

Gus was lying face down on the ice, helped off by doctors

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I can't imagine the Canucks having any interest in Schenn. They like a system of good skating and mobile defensemen, Schenn just doesn't fit that. We'd want Gardiner or at the very least Franson.

As for teams who are in dire need of an undisputed starter, there aren't many. Hawks, Devils, Oilers, Lightnings and Leafs are the only real ones I can think of. I don't even know what the Hawks would give up for Schneider.

Eastern
New Jersey -> Brodeur is almost done
Washington -> their experiment failed
Tampa Bay -> who IS their goalie?
Toronto -> obvious

Western
Phoenix -> a legit #1 would make them so much better
Colorado -> not as easy to win without Roy
Minnesota -> need legit #1
Edmonton -> obvious
Columbus -> obvious

Merguson

Banned
People will attribute different values to Schneider (often seems to depend on how much they've seen him play), but what matters is that Gillis' price is very high and he'll wait for a team that's willing to pay it. Good thing is that with every game Schneider's value goes up and this will only continue if he gets time in the playoffs.

I wonder if Schneider will demand a contract limited to one year so he has UFA status next year. Can't really see him waiting any longer.

If there was a time to deal him, I figure it's this off-season where the Canucks have some control over his contract status.

EDIT: Speaking of today's game, Gustavsson seems hurt in the pre-skate. I guess Rynnas has a good chance of starting. A reason to watch!

CCF23

It's a moot point to discuss regardless. I don't think he'll end up here and I don't think he is so good that he'd save us because if he was, he'd be a #1 in Vancouver right now.

The few Canucks games I have watched, Luongo has been in net.

He has played 30 games (significant amount for a backup) and has a .937 save% and a 1.97 GAA.

It's not like they've been lobbing him soft games, either. He's been battle tested in some of the bigger games the Canucks have had this season:

October 13th in Detroit/2-0 loss/.946 SV%
January 7th in Boston/4-3 win/.923 SV%
January 31st vs Chicago/3-2 win/.949 SV%

Among others. The only reason Schneider isn't starting in Vancouver right now is because Luongo is also having a good season and his contract is huge. The Canucks (and Vigneault) would have ZERO problem starting Schneider on a long term basis if Luongo got hurt or started blowing it.

He really is that good in my eyes. Obviously there's no way to know whether or not he can handle the load of being a full time starter until he is one, but he has a pedigree of dominating every level he plays at (look at his stats from college and the AHL) and is starting to put up similar numbers at the NHL level.

I'm torn on whether or not I want the Canucks to keep Luongo over him. That's how good I think he is.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
He has played 30 games (significant amount for a backup) and has a .937 save% and a 1.97 GAA.

It's not like they've been lobbing him soft games, either. He's been battle tested in some of the bigger games the Canucks have had this season:

October 13th in Detroit/2-0 loss/.946 SV%
January 7th in Boston/4-3 win/.923 SV%
January 31st vs Chicago/3-2 win/.949 SV%

Among others. The only reason Schneider isn't starting in Vancouver right now is because Luongo is also having a good season and his contract is huge. The Canucks (and Vigneault) would have ZERO problem starting Schneider on a long term basis if Luongo got hurt or started blowing it.

He really is that good in my eyes. Obviously there's no way to know whether or not he can handle the load of being a full time starter until he is one, but he has a pedigree of dominating every level he plays at (look at his stats from college and the AHL) and is starting to put up similar numbers at the NHL level.

I'm torn on whether or not I want the Canucks to keep Luongo over him. That's how good I think he is.

Well, I'll bow to your analysis. Maybe you guys should trade Luongo instead :p

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
smfhagjg0.gif

Funny reaction coming from a Sens fan when they might miss the playoffs or will get swept in the first round.

The only problem I have with trading Luongo over Schneider is that it could very well set us up for another goalie controversy when Eddie Lack proves that he is every bit as good as we all think he is.

Bonus: Schneider/Lack would give us one of the best looking goaltending tandems in the league.

CCF23

Well, I'll bow to your analysis. Maybe you guys should trade Luongo instead :p

I go back and forth on whether that would indeed be the right move, and I'm a massive Luongo supporter. I feel like Schneider is that good, though. Watching him play, he exudes a sense of calm and confidence.

If the Canucks do trade Schneider I truly believe the team that pays for him is going to get an all star caliber goalie for the next 10 years.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Rynnas/Scrivens 4 life

Where can I stream the game from if I'm not at home?

I bought the Mobile Leafs App from the app store for my ipad.

I like it enough and I got enough games that I'll likely get it next season too.

When we'll have Forsberg or Yakupov or Grigorenko! FOR THE GREATER GOOD, KAVE_MAN!!!!

Marvie_3

Banned

OFFER SHEET

I go back and forth on whether that would indeed be the right move, and I'm a massive Luongo supporter. I feel like Schneider is that good, though. Watching him play, he exudes a sense of calm and confidence.

If the Canucks do trade Schneider I truly believe the team that pays for him is going to get an all star caliber goalie for the next 10 years.

Schneider's stats aren't THAT good. He's also never played starter's load of games.

The confidence you guys have in him around here is borderline absurd. He's fine. That's about it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mark Masters ‏ @markhmasters Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Darren Dreger reports Leafs looking for a local junior goalie with no ties to any NHL team, who can be brought in if Gustavsson unavailable

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I bought the Mobile Leafs App from the app store for my ipad.

I like it enough and I got enough games that I'll likely get it next season too.

When we'll have Forsberg or Yakupov or Grigorenko! FOR THE GREATER GOOD, KAVE_MAN!!!!

What about Fadek?

Haha Dreger reports Leafs looking for a local junior goalie with no ties to any NHL team, who can be brought in.

Beer league goalies start calling the Leafs!

I have to tell you Wings and Sens fans how lucky you are. Jarnkrok and Silvferberg are totally dominating the playoffs in SEL right now. I can't remember the last time my team had players that were this dominating. Ok, Backstrom was, but a tandem this good? Nope never seen it. Silvferberg is ready to step in to the NHL and become a top 6 in a couple of weeks, he is so complete. And Jarnkrok, a little bit harder to say where is stands in NHL terms because of his size and the way he plays but here he is making fun of the best defenders almost every night.

Stet

Banned
Listening to Bowen on 640. Apparently Gus got hit in the knee with a puck and it made his whole leg go numb. He's still in full equipment and in the dressing room but no other news.

Cake Boss

Banned
Funny reaction coming from a Sens fan when they might miss the playoffs or will get swept in the first round.

:lol So much salt after one gif.

Oh no get swept in the first round in our 1 year of the rebuild. Oh no what a terrible season, I was expecting the cup.

I have to tell you Wings and Sens fans how lucky you are. Jarnkrok and Silvferberg are totally dominating the playoffs in SEL right now. I can't remember the last time my team had players that were this dominating. Ok, Backstrom was, but a tandem this good? Nope never seen it. Silvferberg is ready to step in to the NHL and become a top 6 in a couple of weeks, he is so complete. And Jarnkrok, a little bit harder to say where is stands in NHL terms because of his size and the way he plays but here he is making fun of the best defenders almost every night.

Nice to hear considering Pulkinnen hasn't been doing so hot right now I have heard, at least one of the next Euro twins is playing great!

Socreges

Banned
Gonna try a pics-exclusive reply.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Schneider's stats aren't THAT good. He's also never played starter's load of games.

The confidence you guys have in him around here is borderline absurd. He's fine. That's about it.
jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Rsu6b.png

What-About-Bob-1991-Cd-Cover-63598.jpg

I actually agree that we overrate him. But you'll come a lot closer to our opinions after actually seeing him play more. The guy is one of the most fundamentally-sound, cool and collected goalies I've ever seen. Not the greatest at playing the puck, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom