• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey CrazedArabMan, I could use some advice on what types of bridges are best to jump off. There's the Golden Gate over here but that's kind of played out.

Sorry, I'm not out California way so I'm not sure of all of the bridges, however if you ask Tabris about the bridge he thought about jumping off of last after 15/16 destiny, I'm sure he will be happy to assist you.

Crazedarabman alt?

Surprisingly no.

I felt that away immediately after the trade deadline but losing 4 of 5 afterwards has made me give up hope. I won't cheer for them to lose but at this point I don't care when they lose anymore.

Join the club. It's frustrating. Not in the most common meaning of frustration, this is simply more than that. This is years of following them with no results, nothing to show for. We can't tank properly, we can't evne make the playoffs. We do 1 thing well, drive for the 9th, 10th, 11th or whatever.

And then you have blind supporters like kave_man (he doesn't evne know if he wants the team to tank or make the playoffs anymore) and many other leaf fans who don't understand our annoyance with the team and call us bandwagoners or whatever else when we don't show our support for the team. The leafs honestly don't even deserve all these loyal fans or their support.

They've been terrible. Coach Randy Carlyle and Phil Kessel, I have this really strong feeling they won't get along because Kessel is just a one dimensional player and he will never be a two way player and if Randy tries to change that, it will probably be for the worst.

Our hope lies within Lupul, Burke, Carlyle, Kessel, Phaneuf (needs to be better), Schenn (no, I'm not giving up on him, needs to be better too), Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Liles, Grabovski and maybe 1 or 2 more players I'm missing. I might keep Komisarek because I can see him devastating people under Carlyle system.

Everyone else can gtfo.

Surprisingly no.

You have split personality and you just can't admit it. It's okay. You have two teams to support so better the chances of you freaking out every night. :p

Alucard

Banned
We better win. Can't afford to start losing with NJ, Philly, and Ottawa starting streaks of their own.

Agreed. Home ice in the playoffs can't be underrated. With the way the Rangers have been falling lately, I even like the Pens' chances to make a serious run at the Atlantic title. Of course, I always think this, but it almost never happens. Don't even know when the last time was that the Pens won the division title.

Agreed. Home ice in the playoffs can't be underrated. With the way the Rangers have been falling lately, I even like the Pens' chances to make a serious run at the Atlantic title. Of course, I always think this, but it almost never happens. Don't even know when the last time was that the Pens won the division title.

Wasn't it like three or four years ago? I mean it's not like it hasn't happened all that recently.

I'm not so sure Schenn remains after this off-season. He, along with Kulemin and the goalies, have been spectacularly awful this year. I would hang this year's failure squarely on them, Burke, and the coaching staff.

Burke *has* to be singled out for criticism here. Our goaltending issues were no secret, and even has Gustavsson showed in his first handful of games that, once again, he was not ready for the NHL. I look at the Turco move and think why, when one of our apparent 'starters' went down due to an injury, did our GM not make a move to recruit a veteran back up? And then why didn't he when it was clear at the deadline goaltending was in most dire need of improvement?

Alucard

Banned
Wasn't it like three or four years ago? I mean it's not like it hasn't happened all that recently.

I don't know. I just always expect the Flyers or Devils to finish ahead of the Pens in the regular season. You're probably right about it being not too long ago, but it hasn't happened often.

Cactus

Banned
I'm not so sure Schenn remains after this off-season. He, along with Kulemin and the goalies, have been spectacularly awful this year. I would hang this year's failure squarely on them, Burke, and the coaching staff.

Burke *has* to be singled out for criticism here. Our goaltending issues were no secret, and even has Gustavsson showed in his first handful of games that, once again, he was not ready for the NHL. I look at the Turco move and think why, when one of our apparent 'starters' went down due to an injury, did our GM not make a move to recruit a veteran back up? And then why didn't he when it was clear at the deadline goaltending was in most dire need of improvement?

Burke and the recently departed coaching staff definitely deserve a lot of blame, but Schenn and Kulemin haven't been that bad. Kulemin in particular at least has been a good defensive forward despite his offensive struggles. It's not like the Leafs desperately needed him to score another 15 goals or whatever. Goal scoring hasn't really been an issue for most of the season.

As for Schenn, he regularly looks terrible out there but I'm willing to give him another year, especially with a new coach/system and another summer to try and improve his skating. Komisarek has to go, though. I think we're at the point where Holzer could probably be recalled and easily outplay Komisarek at 1/6 the cap-hit.

It happened in 07-08, but usually it's the Devils.

We won for the first time in a while last year too! Woot! I don't think the Rangers have it locked this year yet either. I'm just thinking back to last year and three years ago. Flyers tanked division leads both times. Last year it only cost us the conference title though.

cube444

Can the Vancouver fans please tell me what has happened to the Sedin brothers. Do you think they are slowing down because of age? My pool numbers are so bad and I blame them.

Socreges

Banned
Can the Vancouver fans please tell me what has happened to the Sedin brothers. Do you think they are slowing down because of age? My pool numbers are so bad and I blame them.
Oh, Forza.

But yes, 7 games ago they were near the top of the scoring race. Then, the next day, they turned 31 years, 4 months and 29 days. Suddenly they just couldn't cut it anymore. :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Do what we all do and blame Raymond. Or Hodgson.

The Sedins are fine, they still have lots of points, they just haven't been Art Ross worthy the last month... I hope they pick it up for the playoffs again. Plus, the Canucks are still doing well so clearly they're not doing too much wrong, just not scoring as often anymore... I'm fairly sure they're not too old yet, just a bit of a slump.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

The Sedins are fine, they still have lots of points, they just haven't been Art Ross worthy the last month... I hope they pick it up for the playoffs again. Plus, the Canucks are still doing well so clearly they're not doing too much wrong, just not scoring as often anymore... I'm fairly sure they're not too old yet, just a bit of a slump.

owRez.jpg

Burke and the recently departed coaching staff definitely deserve a lot of blame, but Schenn and Kulemin haven't been that bad. Kulemin in particular at least has been a good defensive forward despite his offensive struggles. It's not like the Leafs desperately needed him to score another 15 goals or whatever. Goal scoring hasn't really been an issue for most of the season.

True about Kulemin - to a point. While our scoring has been decent this year, another 23 goals from him would have conceivably added a few more wins and kept us in the playoff picture. Put another way, he's not there to be a defensive 2nd line forward.

As for Schenn, he regularly looks terrible out there but I'm willing to give him another year, especially with a new coach/system and another summer to try and improve his skating. Komisarek has to go, though. I think we're at the point where Holzer could probably be recalled and easily outplay Komisarek at 1/6 the cap-hit.

After his significant pay increase, I can't afford Schenn the same level of patience as I do a Gardiner or even a Gunnarson. The boy is paid about the same as Jeff Finger and is about as good. Re Komisarek, I agree he needs a new home, I just don't know who'll take him.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Despres called up, Martin isn't feeling well and possibly won't play tonight. Back to the days where half our defense is from the AHL.

The good news is Letang was skating with our conditioning coach before practice today. He seems to be progressing.

Oh, Forza.

But yes, 7 games ago they were near the top of the scoring race. Then, the next day, they turned 31 years, 4 months and 29 days. Suddenly they just couldn't cut it anymore. :(

Don't actually think cube is Forza. We may actually have a whole new species of troll on our hands here. However, one of the new caps fans' posts yesterday was identical to a tweet from Forza around the same time...

Who?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-3periods-gm-meetings-rule-changes-power-rankings-030812

The argument is that the new rules didn’t increase offense much in the long run, so going back to some of the old rules wouldn’t decrease it that much, either. There is less of an appetite for allowing some level of obstruction to creep back into the game, because it is more of a gray area and a slippery slope. Players would still be freer to make plays than in the past.

“I’d put [the red line] back,” Hitchcock said. “I’d put it back in for sure. It’d add to puck possession, and it would really decrease accidents. … You’re going to have more rush attacks, more puck-possession attacks and less chip and dip.”

Hitchcock with the bait and switch tactic.

Others are worried that reintroducing the red line would lead to teams clogging up the middle again, like Hitchcock’s Dallas Stars used to do.

“I think actually it would hurt the game, putting the red line back in, to be honest, because of the fact that you could just back up and keep everybody in front of you,” said Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz. “Now they can spread you out, and it allows the skill players a little bit more room.”

Then there are those who wonder whether the red line would really slow down the game and lead to more playmaking. It’s nice to think there would be Harlem Globetrotters hockey in the middle of the ice. It’s nice to think that goaltenders would relieve the stress on their defense if they could play the puck in the corner. But how many teams have that many playmakers? How many teams have goaltenders who are that skilled?

Coaches like low-risk strategies that can be employed consistently by everyone in the lineup. They have learned that their odds are better if they get the puck into the offensive end as quickly and efficiently as possible, and they aren’t going to unlearn that even if the red line comes back.

Instead of allowing players to carry the puck through the middle – where they can commit dreaded neutral-zone turnovers, especially with today’s back pressure – coaches might just find new ways to get the puck deep and chase with speed. Perhaps they’ll have somebody chip in the puck at the red line instead of the far blue line. Perhaps forecheckers will still be racing in so fast that goaltenders won’t be able to play the puck in the corners even without the trapezoid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-3periods-gm-meetings-rule-changes-power-rankings-030812

Trade proposal: Bring the red line back in and remove the trapezoid in exchange for smaller goaltender equipment, bigger nets, and banning zone defences.

Alucard

Banned
Despres called up, Martin isn't feeling well and possibly won't play tonight. Back to the days where half our defense is from the AHL.

The good news is Letang was skating with our conditioning coach before practice today. He seems to be progressing.

Letang getting healthy, Crosby coming back...I have a Stanley Cup-shaped boner.

The worse part about being right... Is being right.

Rangers are 100% DONE.

So, if they pull off a win tonight @ the Madhouse, then manage a decent run the rest of the way, are they still done?

I just wanna know, because I've had this same conversation w/ other Rangers fans who swear the team's been done about three-four-five-six times now but "THIS TIME FOR REAL".

Do you guys know what Crosby had for breakfast this morning? I NEED TO KNOW!!!

CAN SOMEONE LINK THAT HIT THAT GAVE HIM A CONCUSSION AGAIN, I'VE ONLY SEEN IT 20 TIMES TODAY.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Do you guys know what Crosby had for breakfast this morning? I NEED TO KNOW!!!

CAN SOMEONE LINK THAT HIT THAT GAVE HIM A CONCUSSION AGAIN, I'VE ONLY SEEN IT 20 TIMES TODAY.

Paul Martin cooked him a nice southwestern omelette with a side of black beans, which he washed down with some 2% milk and glass of OJ.

Classless.

He probably is if he makes so few selfless plays that it warrants making a meme image every time one happens.

That's just funny. Rangers could turn into the worst team in the league. They've still had our number all year. I'm just hoping we can win the last game and just MAYBE steal the division. Then the Pens and Rags can kick the shit out eachother to their hearts content while we help beat up on whatever SE bums squeaze into 8th.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He probably is if he makes so few selfless plays that it warrants making a meme image every time one happens.
Yea cause it's not like that's the first time I've posted that...oh wait......how about you update us on Crosbys status for the 18th time.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Yea cause it's not like that's the first time I've posted that...oh wait......how about you update us on Crosbys status for the 18th time.

Despite the cancelled practice, Sunday is still a possibility. There is no set date but it's odd that the organization would be open about targeting the Boston game for his return. He's said he'll give one-days notice before he comes back, so we should know tomorrow. Update #19 coming later tonight.

Stet

Banned
Why's that? Saving his intro for an easy game? We don't have any of those left. Our schedule is hellish from here on out.

I don't think it's about an "easy" game but more about a game where every single member of the other team is a gargantuan ape who's out for blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom