• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
Holy shit - Markov placed on active roster!. Could play TONIGHT. And I'll mis the game :_(

They knew they could get him to play against the soft Canucks.

Yeah, I'll be missing the game to probably, to go see Safehouse and not John Carter.

I think we've got a suicide club, but they're unsupervised.

I think he needs to be kept away from sharp objects, mainly because he might try to take a run at Torts/Sather after a game.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, the Rangers have been playing really poorly these last few games (especially in the third where they've normally been at their best), but to tank the season after they've lost more than two games in a row for THE SECOND TIME this season? Madness. I don't know what he'd do if he had to watch the Maple Leafs this season.

MacAttack

"Rash of injuries"? Who was injured in February besides Horton and Peverley (midway)? The multiple injury issue has only happened within the last week afaik.

The Horton injury has been huge and Peverley had taken his position and got injured. That top line (which was one of the highest scoring lines in the league) suffered because of it.

Do you think Thomas being a distraction had affected them more than those two injuries?

Campbell had been playing with a broken toe at that time as well.

Its only been a month and a half since the White House visit and in the last two weeks they have lost Paille, Boychuk, Pouliot, Rask and Ference.

That's eight injuries in a month and a half. Id call that a rash of injuries.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gautheir just confirmed Markov is playing tonight!
KSfyQ.gif

Socreges

Banned
Mac, I'm not going to bother with conspiracies. That's your modus operandi, remember. :p We can't be sure what their struggles can be blamed on. All I know is that referring to a "rash of injuries" is laughable when the Bruins were struggling for weeks with just one or two guys injured. The team is not so paper thin.

They knew they could get him to play against the soft Canucks.
Most definitely. Soft as a baby's bottom. Although... apparently the Canucks don't mind taking major penalties or getting into fights. Good thing Markov isn't made of glass or anything, right!

Razorskin

----- ------
Mac, I'm not going to bother with conspiracies. That's your modus operandi, remember. :p We can't be sure what their struggles can be blamed on. All I know is that referring to a "rash of injuries" is laughable when the Bruins were struggling for weeks with just one or two guys injured. The team is not so paper thin.

Most definitely. Soft as a baby's bottom. Although... apparently the Canucks don't mind taking major penalties or getting into fights. Good thing Markov isn't made of glass or anything, right!
Whatever, your botton six can fight our bottom six, and hell Salo and Markov can fight just to see who breaks their hand first.

Solo

483 days since Markie played :_(

So bummed Im gonna miss the game. Maybe Ill ask my buddy to not get married until tomorrow. I think that might work. Im counting on you, Habs GAF and Nucks GAF, for a full, in-depth briefing post-game of how he looked.

Tabris

Vancouver fans, today is a Montreal double header. So if you got some cash to spare, I recommend going to the soccer game and then the hockey game. I didn't get tickets to the hockey game but I'll try doing the 1st period deal.

Acid08

Banned

So bummed Im gonna miss the game. Maybe Ill ask my buddy to not get married until tomorrow. I think that might work. Im counting on you, Habs GAF and Nucks GAF, for a full, in-depth briefing post-game of how he looked.

Ya'll never stop fuckin talking so I think you'll be alright.

Red_Man

"Markov is on his first shift, he looks so good! FUCK he's down, looks like his knee again....."
Just saved you the worry.

Acid08 said:
Ya'll never stop fuckin talking so I think you'll be alright.
Sounds like someone needs a hug.

MacAttack

They lost two out of three games after Horton got injured.

Then played eight out of the next ten games on the road and played about .500 hockey. Peverley got hurt in the middle of this trip.

The next game Boychuck got concussed and after that all the other injuries started creeping in. Because of these injuries the guys they acquired at the trade deadline have been forced into larger roles and it hasn't quite worked out yet.

It might be a mystery to someone who hasn't followed the team closely, but to me its obvious the injuries have played a huge part in why the team has been so inconsistent. If it wasn't clear before Seguin got switched to the first line, it should be now. Horton goes down and the first line suffers mightily. Seguin moves up to first line and the first line plays great but the second line struggles. The team isn't getting the same consistent scoring from both of the top lines like they were earlier in the year. That can be directly correlated to injuries and has nothing to do with Tim Thomas attending the White House ceremony.

Socreges

Banned
I distinctly remember the Bruins' play not getting any worse when Horton went out last year in the SCF, but sure... suddenly the Bruins can't cut it. :p

bonesmccoy said:
Edmonton is losing again. They might be the only team that's been in 'rebuild' mode longer than the Leafs.
They signed Souray for the 08-09 season and made a drive for the playoffs. They started the rebuild in 09-10. I don't think Burke was ever committed to a rebuild, even with a terrible team.

MacAttack

I distinctly remember the Bruins' play not getting any worse when Horton went out last year in the SCF, but sure... suddenly the Bruins can't cut it. :p

Who stepped in for Horton? Rich Peverley.

Maybe it was the play and leadership of a certain legendary doctor whom everybody assumed was washed up? edit: :lol I stand by my argument for injuries. I just wanted to post this image anyway.

Before we get sidetracked, my original statement was disputing the insinuation by Cake Boss that the Thomas drama was the reason Bruins play has slipped. My take is that injuries were the primary reason but, to be clear, its not the only reason.

Red_Man

"NHL execs from three different teams told me #CBJ are expected to trade their 1st round pick (likely 1st overall) at upcoming draft #yakupov"
Whoa.

They signed Souray for the 08-09 season and made a drive for the playoffs. They started the rebuild in 09-10. I don't think Burke was ever committed to a rebuild, even with a terrible team.

The Leafs did the same until the wheels fell off the JFJ bus in 2008. I do agree about Burke though, he badly misread the team and UFA market.

Speaking of UFAs, I wonder how Brad Boyes will fare. He's been dreadful in Buffalo and the market appears to be well-stocked with top-6ish forwards.

Socreges

Banned
Who stepped in for Horton? Rich Peverley.
Bruins were 4-6 without Horton, though, while Peverley was still in the lineup. Again, that's a long stretch of sub-mediocrity for a team that had just a single player missing to injury. When more players got the injury bug, things didn't get any worse, but they haven't gotten better either.

Truthfully, I think the All Star break, Thomas' comments, and the loss of Horton can all at least help explain what went wrong. Then when guys finally started getting injured (not long after I was pointing out how they'd been the healthiest team in the league), that just guaranteed that they wouldn't break out of the funk any time soon.

MacAttack said:
Before we get sidetracked, my original statement was disputing the insinuation by Cake Boss that the Thomas drama was the reason Bruins play has slipped. My take is that injuries were the primary reason but, to be clear, its not the only reason.
And I just wanted to dispute "rash of injuries" being the main reason because that just wasn't the case. Bruins were struggling for weeks before any number of guys were injured.

Cactus

Banned
Howson is probably afraid to draft another Russian since Zherdev and Filatov both failed miserably in Columbus (or didn't want to play there).

Socreges

Banned
Howson is probably afraid to draft another Russian since Zherdev and Filatov both failed miserably in Columbus.
That's what I was thinking. Giving a team the choice of Yakupov/Grigorenko could get him a very good return. So long as he doesn't go for a player north of 25, I think it might be a move worth making.

Red_Man

His asking price is probably the same as it was for Nash, so basically half a team and no one will bite.

Cactus

Banned
His asking price is probably the same as it was for Nash, so basically half a team and no one will bite.

I think a fair price would be another high pick plus a good young roster player. He probably wants to drop into the 5-10 range and let other teams pick the three Russians.

If he wants any more than that, he can go to hell.

Cake Boss

Banned
Its possible that Yakupov has already told them he wont report if he gets drafted by them.

I dont get the russian factor, yeah hes from Russia but unlike Filatov and Zherdev he has played his entire junior career in the CHL and doesnt have that " return to Russia" factor going.

They need to blame their development for ruining those players. Brule, Brassard, Leclaire, Picard, zherdev, Filatov. All those were top 10 picks in the last 10 drafts.

Cactus

Banned
Its possible that Yakupov has already told them he wont report if he gets drafted by them.

I dont get the russian factor, yeah hes from Russia but unlike Filatov and Zherdev he has played his entire junior career in the CHL and doesnt have that " return to Russia" factor going.

They need to blame their development for ruining those players and their other non russian players. Brule, Brassard, Leclaire, Picard, zherdev, Filatov. All those were top 10 picks in the last 10 drafts.

I agree with you, but I wouldn't be surprised if Howson is being told by the owner(s) to avoid drafting another Russian, despite the different circumstances.

Socreges

Banned
Russia win Canada. So, seeya next time.

I hope he ends up in a big market where we can see more of that.

[edit] Again, totally agreed with Cactus. I'd guess he's getting pressure from the higher ups at this point. Just like with Nash, they didn't want picks and prospects. They wanted players that could play immediately. If they trade their #1 pick, it's because the organization wants to compete asap and wants more assurance that the player coming in will contribute.

Cactus

Banned

[edit] Again, totally agreed with Cactus. I'd guess he's getting pressure from the higher ups at this point. Just like with Nash, they didn't want picks and prospects. They wanted players that could play immediately. If they trade their #1 pick, it's because the organization wants to compete asap.

They probably desperately need playoff revenue to help offset their yearly losses. (Re)Rebuilding for the next five years might mean the end of the franchise if they keep losing $10-15m annually.

Cake Boss

Banned

[edit] Again, totally agreed with Cactus. I'd guess he's getting pressure from the higher ups at this point. Just like with Nash, they didn't want picks and prospects. They wanted players that could play immediately. If they trade their #1 pick, it's because the organization wants to compete asap and wants more assurance that the player coming in will contribute.

Zibenajed for Yakupov.

Red_Man

I think a fair price would be another high pick plus a good young roster player. He probably wants to drop into the 5-10 range and let other teams pick the three Russians.

If he wants any more than that, he can go to hell.
This is what I would expect the asking price to be, but its Howson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom