• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus

Banned
I would be happy if they removed the extra point for an overtime loss. Hockey is still being played so I don't understand why a team who lets in a goal should be rewarded. If 65 minutes pass and the game is still tied, then give both teams a point and let the final point be decided by the shootout, which is more of a spectacle.

Win in regulation - 2 points
Loss in regulation - 0 points

Win in overtime - 2 points
Loss in overtime - 0 points

Win in shootout - 2 points
Loss in shootout - 1 point

The only negative is that we might see teams play more conservatively in overtime, but I think that's better than having so many loser points convoluting the standings.

ZeroGravity

The only real way to mitigate the loser point/shootouts is to make regulation wins worth three points. 3-on-3 definitely isn't the answer; it's just as big a gimmick as shootouts, if not more, since 3-on-3 play is an even more rare occurrence than penalty shots.

I would be happy if they removed the extra point for an overtime loss. Hockey is still being played so I don't understand why a team who lets in a goal should be rewarded. If 65 minutes pass and the game is still tied, then give both teams a point and let the final point be decided by the shootout, which is more of a spectacle.

The only negative is that we might see teams play more conservatively in overtime, but I think that's better than having so many loser points convoluting the standings.
That's even worse. Make more teams force a shootout to get a point? That's lame.

The only real way to mitigate the loser point/shootouts is to make regulation wins worth three points. 3-on-3 definitely isn't the answer; it's just as big a gimmick as shootouts, if not more, since 3-on-3 play is an even more rare occurrence than penalty shots.

At least 3 on 3 resembles what a hockey game looks like. Shootouts are a lame way to decide a game's outcome

Bolded wouldn't work for exactly the reason you mentioned; all you would see is 1-0-3 pure defense mode for those five minutes.

No overtime point scheme is going to work if a goal against means walking out of the game with zero points.. The best system I've seen that could work is the 3-2-1-0, but it has its own problems, especially if you're not a big fan of watching teams sit on leads or chip the puck back and forth for the last 10 minutes while tied.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/1/28/2751633/why-the-nhl-should-change-its-points-system

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/03/11/sp-nhl-leafs-capitals.html

Carlyle said. "I believe that the teams that play better defence, usually the offence comes around."

aSYsSl.png

Fuck off, Carlyle. So sick of hearing dead-puck logic creeping back into the league.

Bolded wouldn't work for exactly the reason you mentioned; all you would see is 1-0-3 pure defense mode for those five minutes.

No overtime point scheme is going to work if a goal against means walking out of the game with zero points.. The best system I've seen that could work is the 3-2-1-0, but it has its own problems, especially if you're not a big fan of watching teams sit on leads or chip the puck back and forth for the last 10 minutes while tied.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/1/28/2751633/why-the-nhl-should-change-its-points-system

No, the best is still no loser point. You lost, why do you get a point for losing at all?

Cactus

Banned
That's even worse. Make more teams force a shootout to get a point? That's lame.

I don't think that will happen too often (it's not like many teams are deliberately forcing OT right now). Maybe add an extra point for a regulation/OT win so there would be less incentive to do something like that.

Either way, I don't like how it's set up right now. The Panthers, for example, would probably be in 10th or 11th in the East rather than 3rd if the system I proposed was implemented, and rightfully so.

My first choice would be to eliminate the shootout and bring back ties, but I don't think that will ever happen.

AlexMogil

Went to the Pens game today. Go great to see Geno's 500 and more!

Chara is so tall in person. The arena is nice but it's kind of creepy to the the igloo in pieces right behind Mario's statue. You can still see the Visa ad painted on the inside of the dome.

It's also hard to find parking and tough to get out of town!

Ate at Fat Heads in South before the game. Great food!

ZeroGravity

At least 3 on 3 resembles what a hockey game looks like. Shootouts are a lame way to decide a game's outcome
Does it really? The game wouldn't be played the same at all. You've removed almost half the players from the ice. It's just an equal gimmick in my mind, and it extends already long games even longer.

I think you either have shootouts or ties. There's no perfect solution here, but the shootout is the only method that will yield a guaranteed winner.

Does it really? The game wouldn't be played the same at all. You've removed almost half the players from the ice. It's just an equal gimmick in my mind, and it extends already long games even longer.

I think you either have shootouts or ties. There's no perfect solution here, but the shootout is the only method that will yield a guaranteed winner.

The 3 vs 3 hockey (because of penalties) in the Ducks vs Wings game was some of the most intense and exciting hockey I have seen. It was glorious and would gladly take that over the shootout any day. Plus it is still hockey and not some skills competition.

ZeroGravity

The 3 vs 3 hockey (because of penalties) in the Ducks vs Wings game was some of the most intense and exciting hockey I have seen. It was glorious and would gladly take that over the shootout any day. Plus it is still hockey and not some skills competition.
But it is basically a skills competition lol. The ice becomes so wide open that you'll see plenty of situations and plays that rarely occur in an actual game. Just like penalty shots, which are an accepted part of a hockey game. That's why I don't really see one as better or worse, beyond the fact that shootouts actually get to the bottom of guaranteeing a winner.

I just don't like the notion that settling things with a shootout isn't "hockey" because if it wasn't, it wouldn't be something that would be allowed to occur in a hockey game (that is, penalty shots).

Besides, I still find shootouts exciting...as long as my team isn't in one.

But it is basically a skills competition lol. The ice becomes so wide open that you'll see plenty of situations and plays that rarely occur in an actual game. Just like penalty shots, which are an accepted part of a hockey game. That's why I don't really see one as better or worse, beyond the fact that shootouts actually get to the bottom of guaranteeing a winner.

I just don't like the notion that settling things with a shootout isn't "hockey" because if it wasn't, it wouldn't be something that would be allowed to occur in a hockey game (that is, penalty shots).

Eh, still think 3 vs 3 would be more exciting than a shootout and still less skills competiony (yeah not a real word I know) despite what you say.

Yeah defense is so stupid, what an idiot.

I'm not arguing that at all, I'm arguing about the mentality that if you focus entirely on defence "the goals will come" (or some variation of that phrase), like offence is an area that needs zero work to achieve and the goal fairy will reward you with just barely enough goals to win games if only you trap hard enough.

I think it's time for you to pick a new team. Ask Smash88 for some advice.

My backup teams become activated at playoff time.

What a fizzle of an ending to that Hawks/Queens game. Managed to finally find a free WiFi hotspot in the CBD to stream Gamecenter, so I watched the last period.

Relying on Kruger for your GWG... lol.

Kanes spinarama pass to Hoss has worked before... Hiller was the victim.

This. Holy shit that was amazingly fun hockey.

No, the best is still no loser point. You lost, why do you get a point for losing at all?

I agree with that actually, but it would change the game for the worse late in games and OT. Nobody wants to pay money to watch a team dump it in with only one forechecker over and over, which is exactly what will happen if a 0-point OT loss comes to pass.

Puddles

Banned
Can't believe the Kings won a game in shootout. After they coughed up that 2nd goal in the 3rd, I was sure they would end up losing.

Of course it's not going to emulate what 5 on 5 or even 4 on 4 accomplishes, it still will be less of an individual skills competition compared to shootouts.

The reason people say that shootouts aren't "hockey" is because they happen so scarcely, and to decide a decent amount of games on something similar to a home run derby contest or a slam dunk competition is retarded (yeah, it's not the perfect analogy but shootouts resemble those more than they resemble an actual hockey game).

I agree with your last sentence completely, and to me that's a big reason why I find them so bogus in the first place.

Take tonight's Hawks/Kings game for example. The game ended on Kruger mishandling the puck... Not exactly how a game that's played for 65 minutes should go out. of course a 3 on 3 OT could end in a similarly stupid fashion, but shootouts tend to have more plays where half the hockey community will call bullshit on (Briere, St. Louis, Kane) than an OT would. Again, we only find shootouts exciting when our team isn't in one... as not only a hockey fan but as a Hawks fan, I want EVERY ending to a game that goes past regulation to be exciting

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I am not the only moderator who sees significantly insular communities forming inside sports threads which are hostile to outsiders and who often believe the rules don't apply to them. Just behave like mature adults and there shouldn't be a problem.
nhl-gaf > *

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Does anybody know if an NHL Gamecenter subscription includes access to playoff games?

Just moved, but I don't want to pay $79 to watch 3 weeks of hockey...

Fei

I feel like the only one in this thread who enjoys the shootouts. I understand why some don't, but I am more entertained by it rather than watch 2 teams play ultra conservatively for a tie like the old days.

I don't mind the idea of a 3 point win system to mitigate the loser point's effectiveness, though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
ashasorry1.gif

The Sharks are so close to 3rd meanwhile. But they've really got to turn it around.

Only if they're Leafs/Penguins/Canucks/Wings fans! Everyone else gets masturbated to completion just for introducing themselves.

That gif is full of win. Also, found this:

J9TsF.gif

CCF23

It's hard to believe the St. Louis Blues are likely headed towards a President's Trophy. I keep dismissing them in my mind and not taking them seriously as a legitimate contender, and I'm still not sold on their ability to get out of rounds 2 or 3 because most teams need to learn to lose before they win, but do they ever deserve a fuck of a lot of credit for the position they're in.

Acid08

Banned
It's hard to believe the St. Louis Blues are likely headed towards a President's Trophy. I keep dismissing them in my mind and not taking them seriously as a legitimate contender, and I'm still not sold on their ability to get out of rounds 2 or 3 because most teams need to learn to lose before they win, but do they ever deserve a fuck of a lot of credit for the position they're in.

Fuck em. Neutral zone interference, amazing hockey. They'll get dismantled in the playoffs, any other result would be unacceptable.

Can't believe the Kings won a game in shootout. After they coughed up that 2nd goal in the 3rd, I was sure they would end up losing.
That second goal wasn't really their fault. The refs gift wrapped that for the Hawks. It was a hand pass and then they never blew the whistle when Quick was lying flat on top of it. Kane had a lot of time to keep whacking away. I don't normally bitch about refs, but that whole sequence was ridiculous.

Socreges

Banned
Can I post our quotes from early November when he was hired? I called that shit (although I never expected them to be THIS good).
3AQmK.gif

OK just one:

Socreges said:
Blues have a good team and already play boring hockey. Hitchcock will be a good fit.

[/Don Cherry moment]

I thought Elliot would slow down, though. Nope.

Milly79

ehh, idk. I don't think they'll win the cup, but they have depth, are gritty as hell and well coached. I can see them advancing a few rounds.

CCF23

The Blues should get out of round 1. It's round 2 where it gets iffy. A likely matchup with either Chicago, Nashville, or Detroit unless there's a bigger upset (like the Coyotes or whoever finishes 7th over the Canucks if the Canucks finish 2nd).

Detroit is going to regret not winning the Central. That probable first round matchup with Nashville is going to be a war of a first round series. 6 or 7 games for sure and it could go either way.

Milly79

The Blues should get out of round 1. It's round 2 where it gets iffy. A likely matchup with either Chicago, Nashville, or Detroit unless there's a bigger upset (like the Coyotes or whoever finishes 7th over the Canucks if the Canucks finish 2nd).

Detroit is going to regret not winning the Central. That probable first round matchup with Nashville is going to be a war of a first round series. 6 or 7 games for sure and it could go either way.

sadly, I don't see us getting past a healthy Detroit.

Socreges

Banned
Can't believe we could face San Jose or Chicago (again) in the first round. Phoenix would be my first choice, but I think they'll finish ninth.

Seeds 1, 2, 4 are going to be Detroit, Vancouver and St Louis in whatever order. Nashville will very likely finish 5th.

Acid08

Banned
sadly, I don't see us getting past a healthy Detroit.

I think that depends on Rinne a lot. He would have to steal some games.

Can't believe we could face San Jose or Chicago (again) in the first round. Phoenix would be my first choice, but I think they'll finish ninth.

If we somehow squeak into the playoffs, we should be your first choice. The Sharks have proven they can skate with the Canucks this season but the wins still aren't coming.

Socreges

Banned
If we somehow squeak into the playoffs, we should be your first choice. The Sharks have proven they can skate with the Canucks this season but the wins still aren't coming.
Right. So no thanks. San Jose would have a much better chance of upsetting us than Phoenix. Chicago would be the worst, though. Too much psychological warfare and unpredictability going on there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Seeds 1, 2, 4 are going to be Detroit, Vancouver and St Louis in whatever order. Nashville will very likely finish 5th.

I'm hoping it'll be Chicago. Either we'll lose or we'll be ready for whatever comes next, it will definitely wake the Canucks up. I fear that if we play someone like Phoenix and even if we win, we won't b ready for whatever comes next (e.g. Detroit)

EDIT: @Socreges: Yeah Chicago would definitely be riskier, but more entertaining and rewarding if we win. Rest is meh.

I'm hoping it'll be Chicago. Either we'll lose or we'll be ready for whatever comes next, it will definitely wake the Canucks up. I fear that if we play someone like Phoenix and even if we win, we won't b ready for whatever comes next (e.g. Detroit)
I can agree with this. The Canucks need to face someone tough so that if they get out of the first round, they come out flying instead of bored and not fully into it.

I think Chicago and Sharks are the most likely first round opponents for us. Chicago could potentially fall to 7th and Sharks could potentially climb to 8th, if they don't win Pacific.

CCF23

I don't see Chicago falling into the 7 or 8 hole. I think the top 6 now will stay the top 6 (order might change).

I think 2 of Phoenix, LA, and San Jose will finish 7th and 8th.

I don't see Chicago falling into the 7 or 8 hole. I think the top 6 now will stay the top 6 (order might change).

I think 2 of Phoenix, LA, and San Jose will finish 7th and 8th.
Chicago could easily slump again and some of the other teams might surge in the fun dozen or so games. I think 1 through 5 is set save for the 3rd seed with Dallas. Pacific's always a clusterfuck and Chicago or phoenix could easily overtake them if the situations go right. I wouldn't count them out yet.

Socreges

Banned
I just want a first round opponent that will coddle our players, allowing them to advance unscathed. They're soft. They have vaginas. Whatever. So treat them appropriately.

Despite their vaginas, they did pretty well last season. But their genitalia was bruised and beaten after three rounds, so swollen that they insisted on taking it up the ass instead.

Milly79

I just want a first round opponent that will coddle our players, allowing them to advance unscathed. They're soft. They have vaginas. Whatever. So treat them appropriately.

Despite their vaginas, they did pretty well last season. But their genitalia was bruised and beaten after three rounds, so swollen that they insisted on taking it up the ass instead.

so, Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom