• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not the only moderator who sees significantly insular communities forming inside sports threads which are hostile to outsiders and who often believe the rules don't apply to them. Just behave like mature adults and there shouldn't be a problem.
rTIM3.jpg

Detroit is going to regret not winning the Central. That probable first round matchup with Nashville is going to be a war of a first round series. 6 or 7 games for sure and it could go either way.
not saying i want them to finish 4th, but i'm almost positive that the wings would prefer the short trip over a 1st round out in san jose or LA.

The Blues should get out of round 1. It's round 2 where it gets iffy. A likely matchup with either Chicago, Nashville, or Detroit unless there's a bigger upset (like the Coyotes or whoever finishes 7th over the Canucks if the Canucks finish 2nd).

Detroit is going to regret not winning the Central. That probable first round matchup with Nashville is going to be a war of a first round series. 6 or 7 games for sure and it could go either way.

It would have been great to win the Central, but the injuries to our top forward and top defenseman, including a handful of others had to happen now, so that is out of the question. Though at least we are injured now and not at the start of the playoffs. I just hope we can get back on track once we get our players back, so we could still clinch it.

From the college football thread...
lol!

lol College Football. Eh, we have I think a more tightly knitted community in here since there isn't as many of us compared to the other sports threads, which makes us superior! YEAH!!

so, Detroit?

Nah, you'll just get your head smashed into the ice by Bertuzzi or punched by Howard.

UfiOp.png

No weakness.

You forgot how much of your teams' heads are made of jello it seems, just saying.

Fuck off, Carlyle. So sick of hearing dead-puck logic creeping back into the league.

Of all the legitimate meltdowns to have after this season, you pick this? Getting shut-out in two games? We just lost Lupul, and Kessel, Liles, Phaneuf and company started struggling to score long before Carlyle arrived.

What a crappy hockey weekend for me. Went to visit a friend on Saturday and missed the game. Swung through NJ to see my family and scalped tickets with my dad for the Devs game just to watch them piss all over themselves.

But seriously, NewBryz2.0! I think I might even get a shirt made with that on it for the playoffs. Really hoping that abortion of a game last night didn't fuck things up.

What a crappy hockey weekend for me. Went to visit a friend on Saturday and missed the game. Swung through NJ to see my family and scalped tickets with my dad for the Devs game just to watch them piss all over themselves.

But seriously, NewBryz2.0! I think I might even get a shirt made with that on it for the playoffs. Really hoping that abortion of a game last night didn't fuck things up.

I actually turned the game off last night and I never do that. They had no heart or emotion at all. They looked so uninterested out there. Hopefully they have a much better effort for their next game. Lavi needs to read them the riot act after they played like that in such an important game.

Revenant

Carcillo re-signed for 2 years. He was playing well before his injury but he has got to cut down on the stupid shit.

The good news is the cap hit is about 800k again, so there isn't much of a risk. Not thrilled with it but at least he hits, which half the team seems to be allergic to.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Until Crosby comes back and the PP goes to shit again.
System changes bro, some coaches actually change things that aren't working. Our PP was shit last year, with or without Crosby, so Bylsma shook things up. Now it's pretty solid, with or without Crosby, and scores with some regularity.

Socreges

Banned
Of all the legitimate meltdowns to have after this season, you pick this? Getting shut-out in two games? We just lost Lupul, and Kessel, Liles, Phaneuf and company started struggling to score long before Carlyle arrived.

FI-RE CAR-LYLE! *clap clap, clap clap clap*

I'm genuinely offended by the idea that this is an insular community. Bullshit doesn't go very far around here, big deal. Don't be a bullshitter and you'll do fine. All of the leafs and canucks jokes are just for fun. I don't actually think the Sedins are limpwristed and besides that I really couldn't give a shit if they were. It's all dumb ass trash talk. It's how I deal with the Avs fall from grace. We're on the verge of missing the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. In my deviance I've learned to laugh at the petty misfortunes of other teams to deal with my inner pain.

I feel like this topic flows much like the rest of OT, when someone says something dumb people call them on it. It's not our fault that America hates hockey and we don't get many new faces in here. I haven't been around here for longer than a few months but I'm having a hard time remembering one instance where an outsider faced hostility just because they were an outsider. Hell, I came in at a pretty emotionally charged time with two or three community guys being perma banned and aside from the occasional accusation that I was an alt it was smooth sailing.

I think the biggest problem NHL Gaf has is that little hazing phase for new posters where we find out
(joke about)
if they're just a Manics/Forza alt. Other than that we are more than open to new posters and, in fact, this season alone has seen a huge spurt of new posters in here, more than I've seen in the past few years.

Acid08

Banned
I'm genuinely offended by the idea that this is an insular community. Bullshit doesn't go very far around here, big deal. Don't be a bullshitter and you'll do fine. All of the leafs and canucks jokes are just for fun. I don't actually think the Sedins are limpwristed and besides that I really couldn't give a shit if they were. It's all dumb ass trash talk. It's how I deal with the Avs fall from grace. We're on the verge of missing the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. In my deviance I've learned to laugh at the petty misfortunes of other teams to deal with my inner pain.

I feel like this topic flows much like the rest of OT, when someone says something dumb people call them on it. It's not our fault that America hates hockey and we don't get many new faces in here. I haven't been around here for longer than a few months but I'm having a hard time remembering one instance where an outsider faced hostility just because they were an outsider. Hell, I came in at a pretty emotionally charged time with two or three community guys being perma banned and aside from the occasional accusation that I was an alt it was smooth sailing.

I can see how new posters who are fans of teams that aren't the Habs/Nucks/Pens/Leafs could be put off.

Edit: Add Wings to that list.

Montresor

Ahhh, leaf fans. So quick to jump on the coach but never willing to admit that their team just fucking sucks ass.

So did you purposely pluralize the "fan" word? Or was that an accident? It's unfair to ask someone to keep track of who says what but you've got one Leaf fan jumping on the coach (zombie_james), one Leaf fan disagreeing with that notion (bonesmccoy), and then me a couple of pages ago:

The team is just bad, whether under Carlyle or Wilson. Both Wilson and the players were shitty at their jobs. This year is about wrapped up. Carlyle just has to properly assess all of his players' skills and weaknesses to prepare himself for next year. And Burke has TONS of work to do.

Under Carlyle, I see a coach trying to instill a culture of defense and grit. You're not going to see positive results right away (aka wins) with a team as poorly built as this. This mess is on Burke's shoulders IMO.

I think the biggest problem NHL Gaf has is that little hazing phase for new posters where we find out
(joke about)
if they're just a Manics/Forza alt. Other than that we are more than open to new posters and, in fact, this season alone has seen a huge spurt of new posters in here, more than I've seen in the past few years.

Manics and Forza banned this year, so all are Manics/Forza alts, something something, etc.... ;)

I can see how new posters who are fans of teams that aren't the Habs/Nucks/Pens/Leafs could be put off.

Edit: Add Wings to that list.

If you mean because they're the most represented among posters here I can sort of see that I guess. I'm the lone Avs fan here afaik and I'll admit the circle jerks get a little old, but it's likely because there's never an Avs one to be invited to. Other than that I don't have much of an issue with any of those groups - they're fans of popular teams, some of which are having some success this year. I'd expect nothing less.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I gotta hand it to leaf fans, they deserve credit for putting up with this shit for so long now. I've barely survived this season, I couldn't imagine another 6 years like this.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just wait until the playoffs start, then you'll see the hate start to flow lol. Trying to find that post from a few seasons ago where I think it was tomp or some other new flyers fan made one if his first posts in the playoff thread. Good times. I love you guys.

Acid08

Banned
If you mean because they're the most represented among posters here I can sort of see that I guess. I'm the lone Avs fan here afaik and I'll admit the circle jerks get a little old, but it's likely because there's never an Avs one to be invited to. Other than that I don't have much of an issue with any of those groups - they're fans of popular ass teams, some of which are having some success this year. I'd expect nothing less.

I'm there with ya. There are other Sharks fans on here but I'm the only one who posts with regularity. Multiple people were asking what was up with the Sharks so I wrote a really long post about it but it got buried under Habs and Leafs fans crying as usual.

Like you said though, what can we expect? Some of these teams have the most active posters so the discussion revolves around the same teams almost all the time.

MyEpitomeCliché;35957548 said:
Your consistent and unfounded vitriol towards the Blues is always profoundly amusing. But they're trap defense just makes the goaltenders "look" good, you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFkf4y-uVs

Yeah, and I can find a few videos of Niemi making amazing saves this year, doesn't mean that he hasn't been largely horrible. Halak is a great goalie but your system blocks a lot of shots and forces perimeter shots. I hardly think posting a video of a defensive breakdown is indicative of how your system is supposed to work.

I'm full of hate all the time guys <3

I actually turned the game off last night and I never do that. They had no heart or emotion at all. They looked so uninterested out there. Hopefully they have a much better effort for their next game. Lavi needs to read them the riot act after they played like that in such an important game.

secret plot to fall to 6th place to face off against an easier South-East team in 3rd place

Guys like Opiate don't understand the value of shit talking. In the rest of the OP people find it offensive. Here it's expected. I think part of the problem is the relative size of the "fuck sports"-crowd on Gaf. I don't go into Manga related threads and call all of them pedophiles, but every time there is a sports thread that pops up every sports fan gets called an asshole/idiot. The only other thread that generates anywhere near as much traffic as the sports threads is the politics thread. And quite honestly that thread reaches levels of stupidity NHL-Gaf could never even dream to reach. I don't get the problem with the consistently highest traffic threads getting stickied.... Who cares if there are inside jokes? This thread is a great way for like-minded sports fans (and Tabris) to shoot the shit. Inside jokes are inevitable.

If you mean because they're the most represented among posters here I can sort of see that I guess. I'm the lone Avs fan here afaik and I'll admit the circle jerks get a little old, but it's likely because there's never an Avs one to be invited to. Other than that I don't have much of an issue with any of those groups - they're fans of popular teams, some of which are having some success this year. I'd expect nothing less.

Leafs/Habs/Pens circlejerks aren't due solely to size. Look at Flyers-Gaf. Yankee and I couldn't have more different views on the team. I'd still grab a drink with him at a game though. Certain communities just enjoying touching eachothers' knobs.

Montresor

I'm there with ya. There are other Sharks fans on here but I'm the only one who posts with regularity. Multiple people were asking what was up with the Sharks so I wrote a really long post about it but it got buried under Habs and Leafs fans crying as usual.

Like you said though, what can we expect? Some of these teams have the most active posters so the discussion revolves around the same teams almost all the time.

I felt pretty crappy after reading this post, because I do remember your long post and yeah... I did not read it back then.

But I read it just now, and it was pretty insightful. What stood out to me were the criticism towards your coaching (do you think Todd McLellan is gone next season?) and the praise towards Vlasic.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Leafs/Habs/Pens circlejerks aren't due solely to size. Look at Flyers-Gaf. Yankee and I couldn't have more different views on the team. I'd still grab a drink with him at a game though. Certain communities just enjoying touching eachothers' knobs.

We do it in memory of our fallen leaders Forza and Manics.

But truthfully speaking, I can't speak for the rest of Leafs-GAF but for the most part I go crazy about the Leafs more as a counter to how quickly we get shat upon in here (rightfully so for now).

The KESSELLLL.gif was used for the sole reason that for a time I seemed to be the only Leafs fan in here who actually thought Kessel was good going through his first season.

The KESSELLLL.gif was used for the sole reason that for a time I seemed to be the only Leafs fan in here who actually thought Kessel was good going through his first season.

If there is one thing I can say about LeafsAge, you guys have some great nicknames for some of your guys when they score, personal favorite is grabmyballski and King Macarthur/my liege. I give you guys credit for those and the KESSELLLLL.gif is excellent as well.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Zombie James was just reiterating his hate for dead-puck hockey. It had nothing to do with how good this team is.

Non-Leafs fans (and bonesmccoy) are so fucking stupid.

Socreges

Banned
You didn't even call out Canucks fans here, but I'll jump to Leafs/Habs/Pens fans' defense (and call you out on some bullshit). They have 'internal disagreements' and don't hold the same perspectives on things at all. And when they do celebrate, they don't even necessarily interact with each other, just like with 'Flyers-GAF'. Just because they're not going "ur an idiot / no, u r tha idiot!1'" like with you and yankee doesn't mean they're all out there fellating one another.

You didn't even call out Canucks fans here, but I'll jump to Leafs/Habs/Pens fans' defense. They have 'internal disagreements' and don't hold the same perspectives on things at all. And when they do celebrate, they don't even necessarily interact with each other, just like with 'Flyers-GAF'. Just because they're not going "ur an idiot / no, u r tha idiot!1'" like with you and yankee doesn't mean they're all out there fellating one another.

Um, agree. They just do fellate eachother a lot more... That was really it. Nucks fans too. Though you guys have Tabris bringing you all down to earth so I didn't include you.

EDIT:
I think what NHLGAF all agrees on is that Tabris is beyond crazy.

Yeah, that and we're the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom