• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2013 |OT| 3rd Degree Assault. 2nd Degree Kidnapping. 1st Degree Racism

He's a Russian athlete(potential Olympian) playing in the best league in the world, he probably has recognition in his home country for it. And if he has celebrity then people tend to pry into personal lives. Not that farfetched to imagine people would know who he was dating. Tabloids and such, it happened in Sweden with Douglas Murray when he was smanging Tiger Wood's ex in the 11-12 off season.

Plus her name was revealed, you can't imagine a scenario where people saw her name and have been sending her and her family threats since?

I thought about the Russian tabloid thing, but didn't know if that was even part of their culture, a lot of countries have more pride in the private lives of celebrities than we do. I could see that though, I was just speculating and as I said I probably shouldn't. Best to wait and see what happens.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm enjoying white girl drinks and watching Monsters University in my tiny one bedroom apartment while crooning to Fuel and Mandy Moore and being absolutely devious and successful in my attempts to get nude pics from this girl
I was starting to believe you were cake boss until i got to the successful attempts at nude pics part.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eat shit Kaleta, if the league allows for Emery to go unpunished for that beat down they're a fucking joke. Refs should be suspended too for not stepping in.

Sanjuro

Jesus, that's uncomfortable to watch. Might as charge him with battery. Fucking Emery.

ihgEIAirUN8vZ.gif

I thought it was some entertaining hockey fights. It's the refs job to step in there, then disciplinary actions if that doesn't resolve it.

Red_Man

ihgEIAirUN8vZ.gif

I thought it was some entertaining hockey fights. It's the refs job to step in there, then disciplinary actions if that doesn't resolve it.
Coming from a Bruins fan. Shocking. Stuff like that is an embarrassment to the league and the sport.

T-Matt

Overall the best package you can get. Fuck Centreice.

That's not to say HS is perfect...

They do have some stream issues sometimes and once the guy didn't turn the freaking volume up, and you might be stuck caching the stream a bit, but when it works it is glorious.
Sounds promising. I guess it is worth trying out.

I had to stop watching that emery fight after the second punch.

Samyy

Coming from a Bruins fan. Shocking. Stuff like that is an embarrassment to the league and the sport.

This kind of stuff is exactly why my parents would never watch hockey. Its definitely a concern for the NHL because if they want to reach a much broader audience taking out fighting has to happen. This also kind of applies to a couple of friends, but they just get really uncomfortable if a fight breaks out.

If you think about its kind of stupid, why do you really need to fight?

Sanjuro

Coming from the resident Canadiens troll. Shocking. Go make some more Boston Marathon jokes while you're feeling zesty.

Fighting is still a part of the NHL. We've gone over the topic of removing it. Can't do it. You can try to clean up the game, but that only goes so far. The truth is NHL fans still want this and Bettman knows it. You'll have your morning Soccer Mom's calling in the morning, although that's the price you pay.

This kind of stuff is exactly why my parents would never watch hockey. Its definitely a concern for the NHL because if they want to reach a much broader audience taking out fighting has to happen. This also kind of applies to a couple of friends, but they just get really uncomfortable if a fight breaks out.

If you think about its kind of stupid, why do you really need to fight?

I agree. Same logic goes with American Football.

On your comment why they need to fight, because it's a part of the NHL and a part of why it's the most popular brand of hockey in the world.

Samyy

Coming from the resident Canadiens troll. Shocking. Go make some more Boston Marathon jokes while you're feeling zesty.

Fighting is still a part of the NHL. We've gone over the topic of removing it. Can't do it. You can try to clean up the game, but that only goes so far. The truth is NHL fans still want this and Bettman knows it. You'll have your morning Soccer Mom's calling in the morning, although that's the price you pay.

Are current hockey fans going to stop watching hockey because its gone? I seriously doubt it.

Hunter S.

Many of you must not be Ultimate Fighting Championship fans, or mixed martial Arts fans in general. Do you guys not watch George Saint Pierre? I agree with Sanjuro.

Sanjuro

That wasn't a normal hockey fight.

You're correct. If you allow fighting though, this is always going to happen. It's also happens to be the most entertaining aspect of yesterday's game. More exposure, positive and negative.

Should this stuff happen all the time? No.
Should there be suspensions? Oh, yes.

Sanjuro

You're watching hockey for the wrong reasons if you truly think that was the best part of the game.

You're watching the wrong brand of hockey if you truly believe that isn't an aspect of the game. That is the point I'm getting at and still shocked that most people don't seem to get this point.

Red_Man

I'm the troll? :lol you're more full of shit then Byfuglien's toilet after a night at Taco Bell. Where did I say remove fighting? That wasn't a fight, Holtby said no and Emery laid waste to the back of his head. If you don't have an issue with that then you're part of the problem.

That wasn't a normal hockey fight.
This.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers are wearing their heritage sweaters today? Shit, I left the wrong jersey to pick up in the office.

Sanjuro

I'm the troll? :lol you're more full of shit then Byfuglien's toilet after a night at Taco Bell. Where did I say remove fighting? That wasn't a fight, Holtby said no and Emery laid waste to the back of his head. If you don't have an issue with that then you're part of the problem.

Well, you are. I love the Canadiens fans, particularly the ones on here. Posted for years without any problems with them until you showed up recently. You seem to revel in that whole rivalry aspect a bit too much. Comments about the Marathon kind of solidified that fact for me.

Don't really see how I'm part of the problem. It was a fight. There were fights all over the place last night.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Many of you must not be Ultimate Fighting Championship fans, or mixed martial Arts fans in general. Do you guys not watch George Saint Pierre? I agree with Sanjuro.

First of all, GSP is always fighting a willing opponent. Secondly, I've seen MMA fights get stopped for less than that, that ref is an absolute moron. This doesn't absolve Emery of any blame, he fought a guy who said he didn't want to fight, and did nothing to deserve it.

Red_Man

Well, you are. I love the Canadiens fans, particularly the ones on here. Posted for years without any problems with them until you showed up recently. You seem to revel in that whole rivalry aspect a bit too much. Comments about the Marathon kind of solidified that fact for me.

Don't really see how I'm part of the problem. It was a fight. There were fights all over the place last night.
You feel like posting these jokes I made or you going to keep making up bullshit? That's why you're part of the problem, as long as fans are indifferent to shit like that Emery beat down then nothing is going to change. You continue to show your complete ignorance for the safety of the players and the image of the sport. But as long as you get to see someone's face smashed in you're all good right?

Quick

Banned
Fighting has been placed on too high a pedestal in hockey to take it out. It's like a band aid that you'd have to rip out a some point.

Personally, I'd still watch the game without it. But the idea of players policing themselves or using it as a tactical advantage has become too commonplace that it would take time for the league to adjust without it. It could take years, as you begin to see enforcers retire or be repurposed as third/fourth liners, and you'd have younger players entering the league, educated in playing the game without fighting as part of it.

You'd probably see plenty of players throw the rulebook out and fight anyway, then just take the eventual suspension that comes with fighting. I can see the league do 10 games for fighting, and bump up the suspensions even higher at 20 at some point to send a clear message. All hypothetical right now.

Hunter S.

First of all, GSP is always fighting a willing opponent. Secondly, I've seen MMA fights get stopped for less than that, that ref is an absolute moron. This doesn't absolve Emery of any blame, he fought a guy who said he didn't want to fight, and did nothing to deserve it.

I wonder if the ref was scared to stop it as they are pretty big men, and he would of had to tackle one alone to stop it. It was a pretty out of control situation.

You're watching the wrong brand of hockey if you truly believe that isn't an aspect of the game. That is the point I'm getting at and still shocked that most people don't seem to get this point.

I'm anti-fighting in hockey for a variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with Emery wailing on a defenseless Holtby who clearly wanted no part of a fight, actively tried to back down while he was still able, and crumpled midway through being pummeled mercilessly. Dude seriously went to town on the back of a defenseless man's head repeatedly.

Two separate arguments.

GSP fights willing combatants bruh.

Sanjuro

You feel like posting these jokes I made or you going to keep making up bullshit? That's why you're part of the problem, as long as fans are indifferent to shit like that Emery beat down then nothing is going to change. You continue to show your complete ignorance for the safety of the players and the image of the sport. But as long as you get to see someone's face smashed in you're all good right?

So, you would like to change the entire brand of the NHL. You can't be on both sides of the fence. The NHL is doing what they can to regulate cheap shots to promote a safer brand of hockey. They have kept fighting down to a much lesser degree than ever before. That is about as much as they can do without killing their audience. Really isn't many alternative options available.

I'm honestly not diving back into the time machine. You jumped on me for a comment I made and for caring about hockey more than victims or some nonsense while I was in lockdown mode. I'm the part of no problem, just stop being a jerk, engage in some good dialog during our games and it should all be fine.

Fei

Dumb. This was a public pressure move. A smart playoff team will pick him up.

How many second chances has the guy had? Continuously makes stupid, dangerous plays. The Richards hit was just 21 games before his most recent suspension.

He could be a decent player if he could control himself, but he hasn't yet.

Quick

Banned
How many second chances has the guy had? Continuously makes stupid, dangerous plays. The Richards hit was just 21 games before his most recent suspension.

He could be a decent player if he could control himself, but he hasn't yet.

Matt Cooke will show him the way.

Sanjuro

I'm anti-fighting in hockey for a variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with Emery wailing on a defenseless Holtby who clearly wanted no part of a fight, actively tried to back down while he was still able, and crumpled midway through being pummeled mercilessly. Dude seriously went to town on the back of a defenseless man's head repeatedly.

Two separate arguments.

It's really not two separate arguments though.

You're anti-fighting in hockey, which means you're not a fan of the NHL brand. I'm not going to be huffy-puffy and tell you to stop watching or any nonsense, but that's just how the NHL is and likely forever will be.

On the back of the head aspect, it was a bit excessive. However, shots to the back of the head isn't a new taboo offense. Due to the movement most players make during fights, it happens all the time. Point is here that Holtby wasn't able to defend himself any longer. Emery stopped as soon as the referee got in there...which for some reason he didn't do. My opinion? Both goalies should be suspended probably a game, Emery likely a couple more, and that referee should have a disciplinary hearing.

Besides, even some MMA fighters have more class than Emery. In fact I'm sure a lot of them do.
1.gif

Emery would've pulled his ass up and kept hammering away on him.

Sanjuro

Sanjuro, that was me, not Red.

Or, it was mainly me (little bit of Socreges).

I remember, there were a couple occasions and involved him as well. Smiley too. Difference here is you don't have a continuous habit other than regular good natured shit.

Besides, even some MMA fighters have more class than Emery. In fact I'm sure a lot of them do.

Emery would've pulled his ass up and kept hammering away on him.

Yeah, this is where the discussion starts going all over the place from that UFC comment. Only thing I can take away is every NHL player is different. There are a ton who respect the game and how fighting is initiated and done on this level.

Red_Man

So, you would like to change the entire brand of the NHL. You can't be on both sides of the fence. The NHL is doing what they can to regulate cheap shots to promote a safer brand of hockey. They have kept fighting down to a much lesser degree than ever before. That is about as much as they can do without killing their audience. Really isn't many alternative options available.
I don't think fighting will ever be fully removed from hockey, but changes need to be made to make it safer, and the NHL isn't doing nearly enough right now. Guys like Scott have no place in this league, and not punishing a guy for detroying another player who was unwilling to fight just further promotes this kind of behavior. I don't know how you look at that fight and just say meh.

Sanjuro, that was me, not Red.

Or, it was mainly me (little bit of Socreges).
I also questioned his posting but I never made a joke about the actual incident.

Sanjuro

Wait Sanjuro.....Holtby should be suspended? What the fuck are you on about?

That's just me. I usually believe any altercations from the goaltenders regardless of intent should be issued a lone game. Doesn't really matter though. It's like suspending a pitcher for 5 games in MLB.

Top Bottom