• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

ibfxU7jde4mc7X.gif

Wow a regulation win!

iqpRpgZCSpjeB.gif

H5LE2z4.gif

Flying high

Socreges

Banned
So upon further review that penalty against Dorsett leading to the Hawks goal was not at all a penalty.... optical illusion, tho

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the Rangers last two games are their first back-to-back regular season shutouts since 2003 (Mike Dunham).

And the first time that all 12 Rangers forwards have scored at least a point in a game since 1980.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ducks gaf what's the best section to sit in at the Ponda?

I know this is old but I've been at the movies since my last post. Club level, section 318. It's in line with the goal that the Ducks shoot at twice. Try to get seats on stage left of the section.

Plus if you end up there, you will be sitting next to me.

I know this is old but I've been at the movies since my last post. Club level, section 318. It's in line with the goal that the Ducks shoot at twice. Try to get seats on stage left of the section.

Plus if you end up there, you will be sitting next to me.

There's nothing there for the Habs game.

I'll just wait until the game comes around.

Socreges

Banned
In Montreal's six regulation losses, they've been outscored 30-3.

What a ridiculously bipolar team.
Holy fuck

Canucks/Hawks game has had some good spells. Hopefully will be a good 3rd

HANSEN !! he's so hot right now

Also Dorsett has been a solid fucking playmaker so far. Not what I expected

Samyy

Well according to the advanced stats Vancouver's performance so far seems sustainable
PDO: 99.28, FF% 51.28

I think they'll be a wildcard team.

Socreges

Banned
3 assists for Horvat. Not a bust confirmed ???
3 secondary assists. He still hasn't demonstrated the offensive upside of things that you want from a 9th overall pick (he will, in time, I think), but he's proven he's good defensively and in the FO circle.

He's definitely earned his spot on the roster, though, which is awesome. They'd better not send him down.

Erdrick

At the Jets/Blues game earlier this afternoon, during one of the commercial breaks, they had some guy on the big screen in centre ice, wearing one of those ugly sweaters that I've seen some of you talking of here. It didn't look so bad in person, actually.

Shame the Jets lost though. Also really, REALLY wish Evander Kane would start producing points instead of just boneheaded penalties. Regardless if the officials have it in for him or not. That double-minor made me lose it in the third. Can't blame Pavs for this loss. The defence needs to stop messing around in our zone with the puck. It just leads to turnovers and giveaways.

3 secondary assists. He still hasn't demonstrated the offensive upside of things that you want from a 9th overall pick (he will, in time, I think), but he's proven he's good defensively and in the FO circle.

He's definitely earned his spot on the roster, though, which is awesome. They'd better not send him down.

One of them was a primary assist. The one on Hansen's first goal. The thing with Horvat though, his game is always defensively minded first, so unlike an offensively minded player, his first though process through these 9 games isn't to scores lots of points. It's to play really sound and safe hockey, to prove he's not at all a liability on ice, then once he makes it past the 9 game mark, he should be confident enough to open up offensively.

There's not way they're sending him down at this point. He's by far the best face-off guy on a very weak face-off team, and I think he's definitely their third best center behind Bonino. He's too good to send back, and the team needs him too much.

Samyy

7points in 9 games is pretty decent while averaging 9minutes a game for a rookie, no?

Socreges

Banned
Well according to the advanced stats Vancouver's performance so far seems sustainable
PDO: 99.28, FF% 51.28

I think they'll be a wildcard team.
Explain those stats please

And yeah they'll be a wildcard team (I think LA and SJ will pass them)... unless Dallas, Minnesota and Colorado can turn things around. I think Minny will cause problems for sure.

Socreges

Banned
One of them was a primary assist. The one on Hansen's first goal. The thing with Horvat though, his game is always defensively minded first, so unlike an offensively minded player, his first though process through these 9 games isn't to scores lots of points. It's to play really sound and safe hockey, to prove he's not at all a liability on ice, then once he makes it past the 9 game mark, he should be confident enough to open up offensively.

There's not way they're sending him down at this point. He's by far the best face-off guy on a very weak face-off team, and I think he's definitely their third best center behind Bonino. He's too good to send back, and the team needs him too much.
I agree with you - we're basically saying the same thing.

7points in 9 games is pretty decent while averaging 9minutes a game for a rookie, no?
4 points. Your reference must have already been updated.

Tonight was an outlier, of course, with our 4th line providing two key goals and an empty nether.

Man, it's been so long since we've had a legitimate 4th line where the coach isn't just hurrying as fast as possible to get them off the ice.

Samyy

Explain those stats please

And yeah they'll be a wildcard team (I think LA and SJ will pass them)... unless Dallas, Minnesota and Colorado can turn things around. I think Minny will cause problems for sure.

PDO is save percentage + Shooting %, generally averages about 100 across the league.
PDO's that are way above 100 (ie. anything above 101.50-102 really) suggest that either the team is getting lucky with goals (higher then average shooting %) or getting some above average goaltending. A high PDO is not sustainable and suggests regression (less goals, more goals against).

Fenwick For % is essentially corsi, but does not count blocked shots. A FF% of 51% suggests an above average possession team, top 10 right now in the league actually. Your generating more unblocked shot attempts then the other team.

The whole basis behind that analysis is that poor possesion (tons of chances against) and high PDO (getting lucky) together suggest lots of regression, which is how advanced stats guys predicted the collapse of the Leafs last year. So Vancouver has a lowish PDO and a great FF% which suggests sustainability in their current results.

I agree with you - we're basically saying the same thing.

4 points. Your reference must have already been updated.

Tonight was an outlier, of course, with our 4th line providing two key goals and an empty nether.

Huh really? Didn't think NHL.com updated that quickly, was right when the game ended.

Socreges

Banned
PDO is save percentage + Shooting %, generally averages about 100 across the league.
PDO's that are way above 100 (ie. anything above 101.50-102 really) suggest that either the team is getting lucky with goals (higher then average shooting %) or getting some above average goaltending. A high PDO is not sustainable and suggests regression (less goals, more goals against).

Fenwick For % is essentially corsi, but does not count blocked shots. A FF% of 51% suggests an above average possession team, top 10 right now in the league actually. Your generating more unblocked shot attempts then the other team.

The whole basis behind that analysis is that poor possesion (tons of chances against) and high PDO (getting lucky) together suggest lots of regression, which is how advanced stats guys predicted the collapse of the Leafs last year. So Vancouver has a lowish PDO and a great FF% which suggests sustainability in their current results.
Thanks man. Hadn't come across PDO before.

Canucks had good fancy stats last year. They just had terrible luck scoring goals. Of course there were other factors that rhymed with "shorts" involved but a low shooting percentage didn't help.

I just remembered that Burrows is hurt. When he's back I think Vey will be a scratch. Nevertheless it's a decent group of 13 forwards.

Will see how the blue line holds up. Hamhuis is out for a long time.

fallout

Shame the Jets lost though. Also really, REALLY wish Evander Kane would start producing points instead of just boneheaded penalties. Regardless if the officials have it in for him or not. That double-minor made me lose it in the third.
That one wasn't even his fault, really. The other Blues' player (incidentally) pushed Kane's stick into his teammate's face.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
PDO, another nonsense stat.

It only works if every goalie is the same, every assortment skaters on a team is roughly the same and every team played the game the exact same way.

I don't know why hockey of all sports ended up adopting the dumbest stats which describe absolutely nothing.

If your team plays extremely good defense, it inflates SV% because higher ratio of perimeter shots against vs actual scoring chances. If you have that coupled with a very talented 3+ line roster, you will have a higher sh%.

Again. Another stat that would make a whole lot more sense with SONQ differential weights. Then you can see what team is actually being lucky based on their actual sh% and sv% relative to the quality of shots they are registering, especially if you weight each shot by player class (so that way you can see not only if you are actually being lucky or unlucky, but which players/lines are the cause of it)

PDO is just a bad stat on its own.

zroid

Banned
Holzer is getting called up to replace Polak... as I suspected

derp

also Booth is "good to go" for Wednesday according to Dreger

Top Bottom