• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

Cactus

Banned
PDO, another nonsense stat.

It only works if every goalie is the same, every assortment skaters on a team is roughly the same and every team played the game the exact same way.

I don't know why hockey of all sports ended up adopting the dumbest stats which describe absolutely nothing.

If your team plays extremely good defense, it inflates SV% because higher ratio of perimeter shots against vs actual scoring chances. If you have that coupled with a very talented 3+ line roster, you will have a higher sh%.

Again. Another stat that would make a whole lot more sense with SONQ differential weights. Then you can see what team is actually being lucky based on their actual sh% and sv% relative to the quality of shots they are registering, especially if you weight each shot by player class (so that way you can see not only if you are actually being lucky or unlucky, but which players/lines are the cause of it)

PDO is just a bad stat on its own.

Just like with any advanced stat, the data becomes more reflective of a team's performance when analyzed over a period of time. Over a 20-game stretch, for example, the outliers are averaged out to an acceptable degree, which leaves us with a reasonable indication of performance.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What's the story behind this? Why do they shit on Gallagher?

Also Scherbak seems to be fine and was cleared from hospital

All of his goaltender interference penalties I guess?

No idea why he got put on a list, he takes more physical abuse than almost anyone.

lupinko

My TSN go app just alerted me that Pat Quinn just passed away? I am legit sad right now.

RIP Pat, you gave us great memories, memorable in your playoff runs and of course the 2002 Olympics and 2004 WCoH. ;_;

TUSR

Banned
I remember on his Ring of Honor night at Roger's Arena he was looking gaunt, but I had no idea he was this sick.

Damn.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So in other news tonight begins my journey into the world of hockey.

I go and get my jersey and socks today from the league and also get to meet my team and instructor.

Last week they sent out a reminder email for this meeting and also a package just outlining what would be going down.

Starting December 1 I will be doing once a week for 10 weeks hockey school. Learning all the basics and doing drills and whatever else.

After that is 7 weeks of league play and then after that is a weekend tournament of everyone in my division taking on other divisions in the league.

The only downside to all this is they pick our team names and I am now a member of the Sabres. :T

TUSR

Banned

I go and get my jersey and socks today from the league and also get to meet my team and instructor.

Last week they sent out a reminder email for this meeting and also a package just outlining what would be going down.

Starting December 1 I will be doing once a week for 10 weeks hockey school. Learning all the basics and doing drills and whatever else.

After that is 7 weeks of league play and then after that is a weekend tournament of everyone in my division taking on other divisions in the league.

The only downside to all this is they pick our team names and I am now a member of the Sabres. :T

If you are just learning to skate, I recommend public skating. Plus you can take dates there too.

What did you choose for a stick?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If you are just learning to skate, I recommend public skating. Plus you can take dates there too.

What did you choose for a stick?

I got this bad boy:

Nexon%2010%20-%202%20Long_jpg_752x718.jpg

Also lucky for me my gym has a rink built into it so I can skate on it for free. I'm planning to take what I learn from skating and practice it there. :3

TUSR

Banned
I got this bad boy:

Also lucky for me my gym has a rink built into it so I can skate on it for free. I'm planning to take what I learn from skating and practice it there. :3

You will notice your skates will start to get broken in after a few weeks, I recommend getting wax laces to keep your skates tight. They help prevent having to retighten skates mid game/skate.

It takes a while to learn what curve you like for your stick, it took me a couple of years to adjust when I started and I haven't changed since. So don't buy expensive sticks when you start.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just heard about Pat Quinn, RIP :(

He was a great coach, good memories of him from the Battle of Ontario(when both teams were good) and Team Canada's win in Salt Lake City.

Tabris

Man RIP Pat Quinn.

I wonder who was the best Canucks coach of all time? AV? Pat Quinn? I think those are the only ones in the competition as looking through our head coach history, the rest have been pretty bad. Most are below .500 (and that has a lot to do with the non-cap / bad canadian dollar / smaller market of the past / pre-2004) and most were fired within a couple years.

I mean sure everybody loves Roger Nielson for the white flag but his record wasn't great.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Man RIP Pat Quinn.

I wonder who was the best Canucks coach of all time? AV? Pat Quinn? I think those are the only ones in the competition as looking through our head coach history, the rest have been pretty bad. Most are below .500 (and that has a lot to do with the non-cap / bad canadian dollar / smaller market of the past / pre-2004) and most were fired within a couple years.

I mean sure everybody loves Roger Nielson for the white flag but his record wasn't great.

By sheer numbers probably AV. We lost to the later cup winner in the playoffs three times in a row and won two president's trophies with him.

Merguson

Banned
Babcock is coming.
Babcock is coming.
Babcock is coming.
Say it with me now...

RIP in peace Pat Quinn, he was a good man.

It really depends on Detroit.

If Detroit doesn't want to pay Babcock, then the list of suitors are those who are willing to pay whatever Babcock wants, and a coaching vacancy (obviously).

Hell, may not even be the Leafs. The Leafs could be happy with Carlyle going forward.

Razorskin

----- ------
It really depends on Detroit.

If Detroit doesn't want to pay Babcock, then the list of suitors are those who are willing to pay whatever Babcock wants, and a coaching vacancy (obviously).
I
Hell, may not even be the Leafs. The Leafs could be happy with Carlyle going forward.
Sure hope so

How much did that run you out of curiosity? I wish I could find that here. I only see leagues not something that rolls into a league like that. That actually sounds awesome.

Top Bottom