• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

Good ol' JR.

9xnWjTW.png

ITS THE BIG RED MACHINE KANE

BAW GAWD

Curufinwe

Yeah, not sure how everyone else sees the Stars but I sure as fuck don't see them as the No.1 team in the west. Team has a looooot more to prove before they gain my trust

An exciting, young team that scores lots of goals and will make the playoffs.

You poor thing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Not really much news on the Rangers front from Friedman, but a few things:

4. Two other replay items to keep an eye on at the GM meetings next week in Toronto. The group will be shown the disallowed Toronto goal from last Friday’s loss in New York.

The league wants to get a vote on whether or not the GMs think it should count. Also, I’m not sure anything can be done about it, but both Jack Capuano and Bob Hartley have used it to get longer timeouts when their teams are in trouble. Smart thinking to find that loophole, but I’m sure it drives the league crazy.
22. The last four seasons saw Henrik Lundqvist’s numbers drop in October, with his save percentage going .929, .925, .908, .891. This year he was a monstrous .943, leading the Rangers to a strong start as coach Alain Vigneault tried to get others going in front of him.

About his top three on defence (Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Marc Staal): “I’m not worried about them at all. They are the most motivated guys I know, played in so many big games even before me. Ryan in particular is skating it for a better percentage.” What does that mean? “Make the easy play early. You might skate it up ice, but if there are two or three sticks in the lane, you can’t go north/south as quick as we like to.”

Dan Boyle has been scratched once, but Vigneault is hopeful. “Each player, at some point, age catches up to you. We’re hoping he still has some good hockey…I’ve coached a lot of athletes towards the end of their career, Markus Naslund, Trevor Linden, Mats Sundin. All thought they could still play and eventually you find out you can’t or don’t want to. He’s trying real hard right now. Last year he got better as season went on and into the playoffs. He still had something left.”

After I finished with Vigneault, I noticed the schedule tightens for them, with more back-to-backs. Wonder the Rangers ask Boyle to sit for halves of those to save his energy.
He's a little behind on this one right now as it seems like Boyle is actually going to be scratched tonight, if yesterday's practice is any indication.

23. Even though Vigneault joked last week his players’ mothers would not like their report cards, he says “with the 82-game demands of the schedule, I try never to critique a win. Guys have to have fun. I can still get my points across. When you’re winning, you have to keep a pleasant environment.”

Does Vigneault ever pull Nash aside when he’s having a rough drought? “Very rarely. (Associate coach) Scott Arniel went through a 10-minute package of his shifts (last Thursday). He talked to Nash about going on the inside, changing the angle of his shots. He’s still got the most scoring chances, his game at both ends is real strong. Sometimes, you go cold. But he’s not one of the guys we are worried about, he and (Chris) Kreider are getting looks.”

Derick Brassard said if Nash gets frustrated he “doesn’t show it to the team. He’ll go out early in practice, try different things, working on his shot. He’s not like a Steven Stamkos or a James Neal who can just rip it. But if he can attack you three-on-two or get in the cycle, he’s still very dangerous, no matter how much he’s scored.” Brassard-Nash-Mats Zuccarello skated rings around Toronto after being re-united.

Quick

Banned
Yeah, not sure how everyone else sees the Stars but I sure as fuck don't see them as the No.1 team in the west. Team has a looooot more to prove before they gain my trust

Jamie Benn is a mumbling fuck!

come at me

Looking forward to seeing how he stumbles this time.

Neither of these guys want to be the #1.

The ghost of Andrew Raycroft's goaltending won't allow for us to have a clear #1. We need an exorcism.

In other news, Babcocku is coaching Team Canada at the World Cup next year. Not surprising, considering his success at the Olympic level, and he'd probably have a lot of returning players from the Sochi roster anyway, so they're familiar with his system.

Legit excited to finally see Stamkos at a major tournament with top NHLers (no offence to the World Championships lol).

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-to-coach-team-canada-at-world-cup-1.387372

Quick

Banned
Leafs-centric blog, I know, but it brings up a good point about coaches challenge that we were talking about yesterday. On one hand, I'm all in favour of getting calls right, but technicalities like a really close offside call, I don't know.

Like I said before, the league is in an adjustment period with the coaches challenge, eventually we'll maybe see less. Who knows.

I can see it being abused by goalies (goalie interference), or coaches who can use it to kill another team's momentum by stopping play for an extended period of time (and giving his team a break). A lot of "bad optics" to consider.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...cap-leafs-4-stars-1-i-believe-in-james-reimer

While the coaches' challenge was technically correct- the best kind of correct!- I worry about what it will do for the entertainment value of the game. In a time where goals are declining, there are some bad optics to seeing offense annulled due to technicalities such as offsides. As a football fan, I've seen how flags can affect the quality and watchability of the product, and it would be unfortunate to see hockey go down a similar path. I'm not sure what the solution is, to be honest.

Stasis

Not really much news on the Rangers front from Friedman, but a few things:

He's a little behind on this one right now as it seems like Boyle is actually going to be scratched tonight, if yesterday's practice is any indication.

Time for Big Mac. I really think he can be a bigger/stronger Sauer for us, toughness/fighting aside, just someone who's a solid stay at home guy and can clear the crease.

And that has nothing to do with us picking him over Tarasenko and wishing it works out at least decently, though I randomly imagined a Tarasenko/Cherepanov Russian dynamic duo yesterday. Ah, how things could have gone. Maybe. =/

Elliot brought up that stat I've been talking about for the past month in today's 30 thoughts

That's really interesting actually. I remember you discussing it. Will be cool to see how it plays out now, I'll definitely pay attention to it.

Parch

That West division is the strongest division in the NHL.
BY FAR IMO.
Dallas will compete, but it won't be easy to win it.

Stasis

That West division is the strongest division in the NHL.
BY FAR IMO.
Dallas will compete, but it won't be easy to win it.

It'll be Vancouver. Allllll season long some way of setting things will allow them to be first so we can get bigger and bigger ranking pics with them on top.

It feels like they're getting bigger anyway.

calder

You guys ever wonder what happened to Lecavalier. IRC his decline started when he was 29 and it's been a nose dive since. =/

I actually think about Vinnie a few times a season, and it's always a mystery to me. I think part of it is his style - he was a supremely skilled taller player but never a great skater. Maybe losing half a step hurt him a lot more than most elite talents?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Time for Big Mac. I really think he can be a bigger/stronger Sauer for us, toughness/fighting aside, just someone who's a solid stay at home guy and can clear the crease.

And that has nothing to do with us picking him over Tarasenko and wishing it works out at least decently, though I randomly imagined a Tarasenko/Cherepanov Russian dynamic duo yesterday. Ah, how things could have gone. Maybe. =/

I like to think of it this way: the Rangers have 4(!) other players on their roster right now who were drafted AFTER Dylan McIlrath in the 2010 draft. Kevin Hayes, Emerson Etem, Oscar Lindberg, and Jesper Fast.

By the way, another guy who was drafted after McIlrath will be in tonight's game as well. Some guy named "Kuznetsov."
Also Philipp Grubauer...

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm gonna come at you and give you a fucking
huuug
you
magnificent bastard

You're the fucking Quick, no one could ever be mad at you.

I'm still mad at Quick for ruining a solid anti-Kings joke I told several weeks ago.

Stasis

I like to think of it this way: the Rangers have 4(!) other players on their roster right now who were drafted AFTER Dylan McIlrath in the 2010 draft. Kevin Hayes, Emerson Etem, Oscar Lindberg, and Jesper Fast.

By the way, another guy who was drafted after McIlrath will be in tonight's game as well. Some guy named "Kuznetsov."
Also Philipp Grubauer...

You stop that right now!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
byfuglien not being suspended or fined

ok who's going to be the first to salt
He's been warned 3 times already this season but according to Dreger :

As for Byfuglien warnings this season. History doesn't factor in until a decision to suspend is determined. No suspension, so case closed.

The idiocy of the NHL safety department is cartoonish

Video of Virtanen and McCann being told they made the team.

Nice of Virtanen to get his first. Great play in the defensive zone, power move, and a deceptive backhand.

No forward played more than 16 minutes last night (Virtanen played the least, at just over 10). Considering how they were defending a lead in the third, that's a good sign of trust in the younger players.

What's up with Voracek? Signs big extension and then goes cold to start the year.

Mason was the best Flyer last night. Shame they can't build a defence around him.

calder

I can't believe how racist you guys are, picking on Buff solely because of his colour
and, to a much lesser extent, the occasional accidental arm/head interface that he is only partly aware of nevermind responsible for
. :(

It is going to be weird when Buff is traded to the Flyers or Habs this season. But I sure won't miss his baffling roughing penalties when it's a 1 goal game late in the third!

I can't believe how racist you guys are, picking on Buff solely because of his colour
and, to a much lesser extent, the occasional accidental arm/head interface that he is only partly aware of nevermind responsible for
. :(

It is going to be weird when Buff is traded to the Flyers or Habs this season. But I sure won't miss his baffling roughing penalties when it's a 1 goal game late in the third!

I don't want him.

But he'd make an Excellent Flyer. Big Buff would look good in Orange.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pateryn sent to St Johns for a conditioning stint. I assume Tinordi will play soon or be moved.

Yawnier

Banned
Stephen Desrocher traded from Oshawa to Kingston this morning for four draft picks plus a few cond. picks. Wow.

Top Bottom