• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Yankees will be back so don't worry new york ;)

Eh, I still think it's going to be a while before the Yanks are fully back. For one, their pitching staff needs a serious revamp. Even this season seemed like overachieving.

At least we have the Rangers. YOU ALL HAVE THE RANGERS.

Also, is there anything lamer than presenting a trophy directly to the team's owner?

giphy.gif

Everyone knows Bryce Harper, David Price, Jason Heyward and others will be on that team soon enough lol

I am no yankee fan by any means but the Phillies are so far away from the playoffs

So the Giants lost in ridiculous fashion today. The Jets were classic Jets. The Mets just blew the World Series. I'm pretty sure we even lost the NYC Marathon today!

But at least the Islanders lost. :)

Today was merely a bad day for us. We should return to form when we face Toronto on wednesday.

Eh, I still think it's going to be a while before the Yanks are fully back. For one, their pitching staff needs a serious revamp. Even this season seemed like overachieving.

At least we have the Rangers. YOU ALL HAVE THE RANGERS.

What the fuck, Meta? Do you want them to suffer more?

I've been really glad that he's generally done a pretty good job as part of Fox's broadcasting team through the postseason. Maybe it'll convince him to change careers.

We can only hope.

EDIT: Not enough salt in the World Series thread. Proving once again that Mets fans don't really care about Baseball.

How did you meet her btw? If you don't mind me asking of course.

Mutual acquaintance. I'm not normally the type to get hung up on shit like this but she was fucking gorgeous to the point of distraction. And I didn't expect her to want to see me again. I guess I'm not too rusty.

Pikma

Banned
Mutual acquaintance. I'm not normally the type to get hung up on shit like this but she was fucking gorgeous to the point of distraction. And I didn't expect her to want to see me again. I guess I'm not too rusty.
You know how I know you are rusty? You didn't share any photos of bed sheets with us.

lupinko

LeafsGAF, is there any way of the Leafs getting Auston Matthews via Euro free agency? As opposed to trying to tank for 1st overall which the Oilers will somehow win it anyway?

Sanjuro

A good baseball game is as good as any standard hockey game, but a bad baseball game is one of the most boring experiences available to human kind, and a devastating waste of time. And I say this as a huge baseball fan who has been to a lot more baseball games than hockey games.

I prefer baseball to hockey. I prefer playoff hockey to most things.

The two sports are more similar than the other two.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
LeafsGAF, is there any way of the Leafs getting Auston Matthews via Euro free agency? As opposed to trying to tank for 1st overall which the Oilers will somehow win it anyway?

No, you wish.

Foggy

Hey hey, the quacks got on the winning track. Maybe they can paint themselves a pretty little winning streak.

Hockey is such a neat game. Just the neatest. It doesn't matter if your team is a massive disappointment. It just doesn't matter. Because the game is neat. So neat. The neatest.

Montresor

I've watched 1 or 2 Leaf games this season and I doubt I will watch another.

I've said this before but watching hockey is an extremely time-consuming hobby. I find you don't have time to enjoy anything else after work if you plan on watching a full hockey broadcast. I did watch a bit of the Canadiens game last night though just for fun, but I probably will not watch hockey seriously for another couple of months, since I'm just going to focus on my other hobbies for the foreseeable future (specifically, just playing Halo games really - that's all I've done as a hobby for the past 3 weeks).

imBask

Banned

I've said this before but watching hockey is an extremely time-consuming hobby. I find you don't have time to enjoy anything else after work if you plan on watching a full hockey broadcast. I did watch a bit of the Canadiens game last night though just for fun, but I probably will not watch hockey seriously for another couple of months, since I'm just going to focus on my other hobbies for the foreseeable future (specifically, just playing Halo games really - that's all I've done as a hobby for the past 3 weeks).

I won't cancel any plans to watch hockey, but I don't make many plans in the first place

depends on your lifestyle I guess... also who would want to watch the Leafs play, that might be the problem here

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mets, am cry.

Not really. Hate the fucking Mets as much as I hate the Red Sox. Yankees life forever.
I'm a Yankees fan, but I don't really have any real quarrel with the Mets unless we're playing against them. Then fuck 'em. Otherwise, the AL and NL are so distinct that it doesn't really matter much what they're doing. Plus my grandparents were Mets fans, so I can't hate them too much.

The only NY area teams that I straight up consider enemies under all circumstances are the Islanders, Devils, Nets, and Red Bulls. At least those are the only ones that come to mind, anyway.

Delryk

I won't cancel any plans to watch hockey, but I don't make many plans in the first place

depends on your lifestyle I guess... also who would want to watch the Leafs play, that might be the problem here

I watched all the Leafs start this year so far.. I make sure they get scored on first and then I do something else. I've watched all the Marlies games 'cept 1 so far. Far better hockey (though same style of play, but with players that can actually score).

Pisses me off that Arcobello scores 2 goals yesterday and is taking a prospect spot on the Marlies. I want to watch propects grow, not fucking career AHLers excel.

zroid

Banned
Pisses me off that Arcobello scores 2 goals yesterday and is taking a prospect spot on the Marlies. I want to watch propects grow, not fucking career AHLers excel.

Arcobello should definitely be with the Leafs I think. He's a NHLer. Probably time to send Froese and Clune back down.

imBask

Banned
is it a good draft next year other than Matthews? and even Matthews, is he that good? I don't know much about him

like, if you guys keep tanking and inevitably lose the lottery to the Oilers, will it still be worth it?

lupinko

No, you wish.

I don't know, if the Loafs continue to be terrible and get even worse, then that wish is certainly a possibility. At the very least a top 5 pick. *shrugs*

I'd rather have them be awful than mediocre which is the worst thing to happen to a professional sports team.

zroid

Banned
is it a good draft next year other than Matthews? and even Matthews, is he that good? I don't know much about him

like, if you guys keep tanking and inevitably lose the lottery to the Oilers, will it still be worth it?

I dunno about the depth but the top three have all been pretty highly touted. Matthews, Chychrun, and Puljuujujlarvi, I think.

edit: also Tkachuk.

Matthews has been said to be better than Eichel by some scouts.

imBask

Banned
I dunno about the depth but the top three have all been pretty highly touted. Matthews, Chychrun, and Puljuujujlarvi, I think.

edit: also Max Jones and Tkachuk.

alright, I guess

but then again forget about Matthews... deep down inside, you know it

Yawnier

Banned
I don't know, if the Loafs continue to be terrible and get even worse, then that wish is certainly a possibility. At the very least a top 5 pick. *shrugs*

I'd rather have them be awful than mediocre which is the worst thing to happen to a professional sports team.

The loafs will get a top 5 pick, no doubt. The true question, imo, is whether the loafs win one of the three lotto picks or not, which won't happen because "fuck you" from the hockey gods!

They are a lot more awful rather than mediocre this year, which is nice to see actually.

Cake Boss

Banned

I am in the same boat really. I kind of saw it coming last season where I didn't even watch the playoffs. Shit takes too much time now for me. This season it feels like I will watch 25% of the games.

eyeless

Still feeling that Phantom Phil after the shutout last night.

The Leafs need better goaltending and another scoring forward to back up Kadri and JVR. They're the only real scoring threats at our forward position right now, and they're not doing much scoring.
i meant to respond to this post

do you mean for this season or the future? what is everyone in leafs-gaf thoughts about tanking vs. winning this season. what are your hopes/expectations? are there people actually hoping for wins? obviously i'm on the side of the tank. the thing is we already had another scoring forward and good goaltending, kessel and bernier in 13/14 (.923 sv%, he looked great that year, was stealing us games as i remember it. i feel like if/when we trade him there's a good chance he'll have a dubnyk-like renaissance on a team that isn't a tirefire) and we saw what that got us. my real nightmare is that we didn't collapse the last two seasons and instead of having nylander and marner just have a hopeless team spinning its wheels. unfortunately i'm hoping for as many one goal losses as it takes to secure last place and the fourth overall pick. playing structurally sound but losing due to a lack of talent is my ideal situation (we're third in corsi brahs!)

we hopefully already have scoring forwards coming in the ahl and ohl. and i think we'll either draft a goalie or maybe if/when we're actually looking like a decent team then trade for a younger up and coming goalie or someone established or sign someone. we shouldn't worry about a goalie right now, unfortunately bernier is playing ideally for our long-term best interest.

i've just tuned out like sabres fans did the last two years. i didn't even watch highlights of the last game. i'm not stressed about it or anything because i'm not watching the games. i can go this year without watching the games, not like i have to have it in my life. i watch marlies games, if you don't have hockeystreams there's a stream posted on the leafs reddit for every marlies game. i'll watch regularly next year when nylander and maybe marner are up.
what is the alternative? a tenth place finish and the fourteenth overall pick? there are more quality prospects than matthews available, a potential franchise d for one. i've already accepted that the oilers will have center depth of mcdavid-matthews-rnh-draisaitl next year.

edit: also Tkachuk.

laine and puljujarvi are considered about equal right now i think

also here is a bonus gif from the last marlies game of nylander showing some pretty boy #grit
DismalWelllitIslandcanary.gif

Top Bottom