• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

Quick

Banned
I'm in for Secret Santa but I'll be in Switzerland 14/12-30/12. I can send before or after I guess?

Yeah, that's fine. I figured once Sunday passes, I'll grab everyone's info, do a random match-up, and everyone can send theirs out at their convenience within a reasonable timeline.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Nintendo Direct thread is going fucking nuts

The thirst is real

Waiting for the Direct has me like

tumblr_mrouwiVoSz1qm6sfao1_500.gif

Syrinx

Looked up Hurricanes prospect stats cause why not, and saw that Sebastian Aho (2nd round pick) and Nicolas Roy (4th round pick) are having some pretty solid seasons in Karpat and Chicoutimi respectively.

Aho: 17 GP, 15 points (7G, 8A).
Roy: 17 GP, 24 points (12G, 12A).

Aho's stats are probably skewed a bit since Karpat I guess is something of a powehouse, but it seemed pretty good to me for an 18-year old in the Finnish league. And Roy's statistics don't jump out compared to what other guys from this past draft are doing (Beauvillier stuck out in particular), but still...yeah. Somebody who knows better than me can put this in context.

So Dallas I know you have you're things going on but if I may take some of your time to ask just a small request. Can you please let Winnipeg win tonight? You can even let it go to OT but we would like a win from you.

imBask

Banned
is he... is he shitting on the fans for not liking a boring trapfest 2-1 game?

nobody hates a hard fought 2-1 game, the score isn't the point Claude

Sanjuro

is he... is he shitting on the fans for not liking a boring trapfest 2-1 game?

nobody hates a hard fought 2-1 game, the score isn't the point Claude

No. He is talking about the trend that usually pops up a couple times during the season where people talk about enlarging the nets for more goal scoring.

imBask

Banned
No. He is talking about the trend that usually pops up a couple times during the season where people talk about enlarging the nets for more goal scoring.

yeah I read it, he's right I guess

or he's just trying to bring in the soccer culture so that people will accept that everyone on his team dives a lot amirite

All the low-hanging fruit's been picked (better officiating, taking out the red line, moving the blue lines, shrinking the crease, 4-on-4 and 3-on-3 OT) and we're back to pre-2005 levels of scoring again. All that's left is shrinking goaltender equipment or increasing the size of the nets. These senile old fossils are too set in their ways to change their coaching styles.

Sanjuro

All the low-hanging fruit's been picked (better officiating, taking out the red line, moving the blue lines, shrinking the crease, 4-on-4 and 3-on-3 OT) and we're back to pre-2005 levels of scoring again. All that's left is shrinking goaltender equipment or increasing the size of the nets. These senile old fossils are too set in their ways to change their coaching styles.

...you're saying this like it's a necessity though. Is there direct data showing the NHL is in danger because of this?

Yawnier

Banned
Looked up Hurricanes prospect stats cause why not, and saw that Sebastian Aho (2nd round pick) and Nicolas Roy (4th round pick) are having some pretty solid seasons in Karpat and Chicoutimi respectively.

Aho's stats are probably skewed a bit since Karpat I guess is something of a powehouse, but it seemed pretty good to me for an 18-year old in the Finnish league. And Roy's statistics don't jump out compared to what other guys from this past draft are doing (Beauvillier stuck out in particular), but still...yeah. Somebody who knows better than me can put this in context.

Nicolas Roy slipped big time in the nhl draft, didn't have a good season last year and he tumbled down the rankings. Was a 1st overall pick in the Q-league draft just two years ago.

imBask

Banned
...you're saying this like it's a necessity though. Is there direct data showing the NHL is in danger because of this?

the attendances are low in Florida and Arizona, the only 2 places Bettman cares about, therefore yes the NHL is in danger!

Samyy

tbh 24 points in 17 GP in the Q during D+1 year is good, but not something to get overly excited about, Q is a high scoring league.

the attendances are low in Florida and Arizona, the only 2 places Bettman cares about, therefore yes the NHL is in danger!

Arizona is 28th out of 30 in average home attendance this year thank you very much.

Islanders and Hurricanes have them beat in attendance shitshowing.

Edit: Beaten.

Vancouver only at 97% capacity? Ottawa 90%? Time to move some teams down south where they can thrive.

Pikma

Banned
So Dallas I know you have you're things going on but if I may take some of your time to ask just a small request. Can you please let Winnipeg win tonight? You can even let it go to OT but we would like a win from you.
Division fucking Rivalry, my friend. Your team is not called the Toronto Maple Leafs, is it? Then don't expect any kind of mercy from us.

I mean, we might lose, that's totally possible, but rest assured it won't be because we didn't try.

Division fucking Rivalry, my friend. Your team is not called the Toronto Maple Leafs, is it? Then don't expect any kind of mercy from us.

I mean, we might lose, that's totally possible, but rest assured it won't be because we didn't try.

Honestly I'll be happy if we can just get a point tonight to hold off Chicago a little while longer. That said, we really need to win these divisional games.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

They stopped calling interference.

Yawnier

Banned
Tbh, don't know how much I could tolerate 2006-levels of reffing interference calls and such today. The constant whistles back then to stop play to call a penalty used to drive me nuts.

Syrinx

Nicolas Roy slipped big time in the nhl draft, didn't have a good season last year and he tumbled down the rankings. Was a 1st overall pick in the Q-league draft just two years ago.
Yeah,there was also that thing where his dad made a stink about wanting him to play in Quebec that didn't leave the best impression.

is it though? 2005-2006 was a joke, they would call a penalty whenever a player had his stick parallel to the ice, no matter what... that was kinda ridiculous
dont need to look to 2005-2006 though, penalty calls are at the lowest they have ever been.

2005-2006 was 5.8 penalties per game, and that was awful, this season is 3.2, equally awful. Somewhere in between that would give more power play goals from chances alone, and increase scoring opportunities from players avoiding interference calls that currently they are getting away with

imBask

Banned
dont need to look to 2005-2006 though, penalty calls are at the lowest they have ever been.

2005-2006 was 5.8 penalties per game, and that was awful, this season is 3.2, equally awful. Somewhere in between that would give more power play goals from chances alone, and increase scoring opportunities from players avoiding interference calls that currently they are getting away with

are you saying they should call penalties that are penalties instead of trying to play even stevens and count the number of penalties?

ARE YOU CRAZY?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
is it though? 2005-2006 was a joke, they would call a penalty whenever a player had his stick parallel to the ice, no matter what... that was kinda ridiculous

Hooking is being called fine, tripping too. I'd argue "lifting the stick" gets improperly called, but I understand it's hard to tell at full speed.

Interference though is rampant, and should be called way more.

imBask

Banned
Hooking is being called fine, tripping too. I'd argue "lifting the stick" gets improperly called, but I understand it's hard to tell at full speed.

Interference though is rampant, and should be called way more.

I always put interference and hooking in the same category, they always stop calling it when the game is on the line and/or if they already called a couple of penalties against your team and that's frustrating, that's the biggest problem

how about something way crazier : remove the second ref and replace him by a ref in a control room full of TV with multiple angles

Top Bottom