• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

No matter what happens to the Coyotes and whether or not the 14,000 seat stadium idea goes through, ASU still gets a top of the line arena, and it makes it one of the best barns for college hockey in all of the NCAA. And that bodes extremely well for hockey development in Arizona, and as I have said before, hopefully means that other universities in the PAC-12 look at starting their own hockey programs.

Marvie_3

Banned
so the yotes also making residential/hotel/mixed use

they only want tax rebates

$400 mil build cost, coyotes spending half - rest from tax rebate

edit:

actually to make more accurate

Coyotes spend half... public spends half... but using tax rebate as a method to pay off public money

if state says no... coyotes would be done. Leblanc says this whole thing is contingent on AZ playing along

state legislator is in session until april... so we will know by end of season if coyotes are staying or going. for real, this time.
With what money?

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Did I mention San Diego voted NO on paying for a new stadium for the Chargers? Now they're fucked and deservedly so.

REALLY? Unbelievable, there's gonna be a second NFL team on the move in just two years.

San Antonio Chargers here we come!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No matter what happens to the Coyotes and whether or not the 14,000 seat stadium idea goes through, ASU still gets a top of the line arena, and it makes it one of the best barns for college hockey in all of the NCAA. And that bodes extremely well for hockey development in Arizona, and as I have said before, hopefully means that other universities in the PAC-12 look at starting their own hockey programs.

With what money?

I think the coyotes and ASU rink is entangled.

It was mentioned some of the money came from ASU. LeBlanc didn't state how much.

My assumption is the ASU partnership was made to help bolster the feasibility of the plan to the ASL. (aka optics)

we will see what happens, though.

Chris R

Screw the PAC-12

WCHA or bust baby!

Still fucking PISSED UAA's new arena was SPECIFICALLY built too small for Hockey :(

Instead we still get to play in the giant steaming POS that is the Sullivan Arena

Marvie_3

Banned
I think the coyotes and ASU rink is entangled.

It was mentioned some of the money came from ASU. LeBlanc didn't state how much.

My assumption is the ASU partnership was made to help bolster the feasibility of the plan to the ASL. (aka optics)

we will see what happens, though.
I doubt the Coyotes have any money considering how much they lose every year. If ASU is fronting some
all
of the Coyotes half, I dont see why they need the Coyotes.

Screw the PAC-12

WCHA or bust baby!

Still fucking PISSED UAA's new arena was SPECIFICALLY built too small for Hockey :(

Instead we still get to play in the giant steaming POS that is the Sullivan Arena

Doesn't matter what conference it is, as long as there are more west coast programs that can have a hockey program and make ASU not feel so alone. Hockey at the collegiate level has been too long been a Midwest, Northeast sport for too long. This, alongside holding the last few Frozen Fours in Tampa bodes well.

DopeyFish

I doubt the Coyotes have any money considering how much they lose every year. If ASU is fronting some
all
of the Coyotes half, I dont see why they need the Coyotes.

not going to lie... i assume most money is from ASU

the reason for the coyotes in this plan? because maybe ASU will realize profits from the residential.

don't think schools are allowed to do that kind of stuff... so it's a scheme for ASU and Coyotes to get more than they should, really.

zroid

Banned
cb87b401307742f89cf609182ac96b4e.png

hmmmm

DopeyFish

“We couldn’t be more thrilled that Russell is joining our partnership and continued efforts to bring the NBA and NHL back to Seattle," said Chris Hansen.

ummmm

edit: Oh, i guess the metropolitans did exist

Chris R

Russell just going to tell Seattle they aren't getting any more
playoff
action until the stadium contract is finalized.

“We couldn’t be more thrilled that Russell is joining our partnership and continued efforts to bring the NBA and NHL back to Seattle," said Chris Hansen.

ummmm

edit: Oh, i guess the metropolitans did exist

It's not like they won a Stanley Cup or anything

hang that banner

For all intensive purposes, Wilson is a god in Seattle. Having his name to the SODO project means that at the very least, the needle gets moved on an arena for the Sonics, then the NHL team.

Though I wonder how much of a stonewalling is coming not only from Seattle city council, which was well known, but also from the Mariners and Seahawks as well.

Bill Daly:

Chris R

As much as I love the Mariners, they need to stop being stupid.

Put a quality team on the field at a good price and people will still come to watch your games, even if the Sonics are playing that night.

Plus, the SoDo region could totally use the redevelopment that would come with an arena, more things to do before the game that don't involve a Jimmy John's sandwich and beers from Elysian :(

DopeyFish

For all intensive purposes, Wilson is a god in Seattle. Having his name to the SODO project means that at the very least, the needle gets moved on an arena for the Sonics, then the NHL team.

Though I wonder how much of a stonewalling is coming not only from Seattle city council, which was well known, but also from the Mariners and Seahawks as well.

People are thinking this all backwards

NBA isn't expanding... so if you don't have a team what the fuck are you doing
NHL is expanding... but they need a plan... if your plan is contingent on the NBA only... you're doomed. Need to put your money where your mouth is.
City/Investors are also caught up in this shenanigans.

NBA is a dream that will likely come true in time. BUT YOU NEED AN ANCHOR TENANT TO GET THIS DREAM STARTED. You can't wish to have all your shit come to you at once.

As much as I love the Mariners, they need to stop being stupid.

Put a quality team on the field at a good price and people will still come to watch your games, even if the Sonics are playing that night.

Plus, the SoDo region could totally use the redevelopment that would come with an arena, more things to do before the game that don't involve a Jimmy John's sandwich and beers from Elysian :(

Exactly. Why aren't they doing the same blocking mechanisms and poo-pooing the Hawks?

Frankly, the sports hierarchy of the town seems to be Hawks, and then the Sounders and M's neck and neck. The Mariners seem to want to have the entire downtown district to themselves alongside the Hawks, and they don't want anybody else to join in the fun.

DopeyFish

why would the mariners cry? NHL/NBA schedules typically don't interfere with MLB and the times that they do it would be post season for the MLB which you're going to sell out and have all eyes on anyways

and it's the mariners, it's not like they'll be in the postseason any time soon

why would the mariners cry? NHL/NBA schedules typically don't interfere with MLB and the times that they do it would be post season for the MLB which you're going to sell out and have all eyes on anyways

Money. They already have to deal with the Sounders and Hawks in downtown, they don't want anyone else to save money to go watch the NHL team or the Sonics once they come into fruition because they are a team that hasn't won a damn thing.

Chris R

The overlap would be in April/May. If the Sonics do come back they become the new #2 team in town (I think??? I don't care one bit about the NBA but see a ton of people saying they love the Sonics)

They just want to be the big show most nights and don't want to share the spotlight.

Like I said, they need to stop being stupid so that whole area becomes a destination for more than just games.

The overlap would be in April/May. If the Sonics do come back they become the new #2 team in town (I think??? I don't care one bit about the NBA but see a ton of people saying they love the Sonics)

They just want to be the big show most nights and don't want to share the spotlight.

Like I said, they need to stop being stupid so that whole area becomes a destination for more than just games.

Exactly. Why go watch the M's when they are just starting their season, when you could possibly watch the Sonics or NHL team make a decent run at the postseason? Or when the M's season is wrapping up, why not watch them start off?

Again, it's pettiness on the part of M's ownership.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So Trump wants to give his kids top secret security clearance as unpaid national security advisors while they also run the business

I see no way this could possibly go wrong or have any conflicts of interesr at all

So Trump wants to give his kids top secret security clearance as unpaid national security advisors while they also run the business

I see no way this could possibly go wrong or have any conflicts of interesr at all

And someone got mad at me for likening them to Saddam's kids.

Honestly if there is any sort of accountability the Trump org and foundation need to be renamed. All the Trump branded shit needs to drop it too. Having him as President (existential vomiting) and still having his name on commercial enterprises is a conflict of interest in itself.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
And someone got mad at me for likening them to Saddam's kids.

Honestly if there is any sort of accountability the Trump org and foundation need to be renamed. All the Trump branded shit needs to drop it too. Having him as President (existential vomiting) and still having his name on commercial enterprises is a conflict of interest in itself.

If anything he'll re-brand it as "President Trump Towers Inc." or whatever it's called. And every hotel gets a Presidential Suite if they don't already have one.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member

Sonics were usually THE #1 team during much of their existence in Seattle. It wasn't till the Howard Schultz era where they started to taper off (which of course lead Clay Bennett to buy and relocate the team to the middle of bumfuck nowhere that is OKC).

If the Coyotes are forced to relocate, Cosmic will need a new team.

And it's very obvious which one he'll end up with, even if he denies it this day.

arena for yotes for 2019-2020 season

partnered with ASU

16,000 seat

they announce in like 30 minutes or so i hear

if they are putting it at university/rural they'd be right on the LRT line... minutes away from Scottsdale... and actually be near a major road... if you look at a map... westgate is in a stupid area... in every respect

Man so much money has been wasted on a team that few people actually give a shit about. Sorry Cosmic but it's the truth.

Sad thing is that I don't even know where you'd dump the team if they moved at this point. Seattle still has a bunch of issues needed to sort out to get the new arena, Houston's owner isn't interested in a NHL team and LOL Kansas City. Maybe Portland would work out.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Man so much money has been wasted on a team that few people actually give a shit about. Sorry Cosmic but it's the truth.

Sad thing is that I don't even know where you'd dump the team if they moved at this point. Seattle still has a bunch of issues needed to sort out to get the new arena, Houston's owner isn't interested in a NHL team and LOL Kansas City. Maybe Portland would work out.

Portland would be a great market if the ridiculously fickle Paul Allen didn't own the Trail Blazers and the rights to run the Moda Center.

As of now, only Quebec City has both a willing owner and a ready arena outside of a potential wildcard (i.e. Milwaukee).

Top Bottom