• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

mreddie

OH GOD, NOT AGAIN

Arizona Republic said:
The Arizona Coyotes unveiled a plan Monday to build a new home in Tempe, with the team proposing to pick up half the cost of a new $400 million hockey arena and taxpayers picking up the balance.

The proposed deal would make the Coyotes one of the first tenants in Arizona State University's Athletic Facilities District, but it would need approval from lawmakers when they convene in January. The team said it does not yet have any lawmakers lined up to push needed legislation through the Republican-controlled Legislature. The National Hockey League franchise also would need concessions from ASU as part of a land lease.

At this point, it is unclear if there is state support for the plan. No ASU officials or lawmakers attended Monday's announcement, and Gov. Doug Ducey's office declined to comment on it.

Coyotes majority owner Andrew Barroway promised a "world-class facility" would be built near ASU to house a team that has migrated from Canada to downtown Phoenix and on to Glendale — looking each time for greener financial pastures. The franchise, once in bankruptcy protection, has lost tens of millions of dollars annually. Barroway said the Coyotes finally might break even with a new Tempe arena.

The public's contribution to development costs would come from a portion of sales taxes generated by the arena, a proposed luxury hotel and a mixed-use commercial development at the site. The team floated a similar idea for a special taxing district earlier this year, but lawmakers told the Coyotes to hold off until 2017.

If successful, the building would open for the 2019-2020 season. Until then, the Coyotes would keep playing in Glendale.

“It’s good news. It’s early," said Coyotes coach Dave Tippett. "There’s a lot of us who have been through a lot of this before. Hopefully, everything turns out as wonderful as it sounds."

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
OH GOD, NOT AGAIN

I think if they can get shovels in the ground they will finally be able to make it work. I like the location.

But... I think convincing the state and also somehow keeping the goldwater institute off their back is going to be a very very big difficulty.

Line_HTX

Oh man, someone went ahead and made a CFL OT.

LOL That's awesome.

At this point the quality of play from the CFL is most likely better.

There's Cat avatars and everything. That's cool there's a CFL thread now.

Are you Narag's alt?

jsg0dyM.png

;P

TORONTO YOUR HOCKEY GOD HATH SPOKEN.

<3 u Auston, you dreamboat you.

Auston Matthews: New Coyotes arena would be awesome

TORONTO -- Count Toronto Maple Leafs rookie and Scottsdale, Arizona native Auston Matthews among those excited for the potential of a new home for the Arizona Coyotes in Tempe, Arizona.

The Coyotes on Monday announced plans to partner with Catellus Development Corporation, the master developer for the Arizona State University Athletic Facilities District, to work toward building a 16,000-plus seat arena for the NHL team with an attached 4,000-seat multi-sport arena.

"That's awesome news," Matthews said.

Matthews said the development of a new rink and arena district for the Coyotes and ASU would create a huge boost to the growth of ice hockey in the area, specifically in the East Valley region of the greater Phoenix metro area.

The Coyotes currently play in Gila River Arena in Glendale, which is in the West Valley area.

"They're pairing with ASU so it's going to be huge to share that rink," he said. "I think it's going to be a little bit easier commute for all the kids that want to go watch it. It's only about a 20-minute drive from where I'm from as opposed to an hour to Glendale. It's a good location and it's going to be two teams playing in that one building, so it's going to be pretty awesome."

Awesome.

OH GOD, NOT AGAIN

Welcome to yesterday. Glad you made it.

calder

Crazy that Laine is 7 months younger than Matthews (no small difference at 18) and already the superior player.

It hardly matters, but at least Matthews will soon know for sure whether he can expect a nice new arena in Phoenix when he signs there in 7 years. Unless he tries to force a trade in 3 years as a RFA, but that'll be tough

Jason Botchford
@botchford
asked why JV18 is back after 2 gms if he's not playing, willie said: he didn't have his stuff on road & couldn't leave him there w/o stuff

Uh, what

Foggy

It hardly matters, but at least Matthews will soon know for sure whether he can expect a nice new arena in Phoenix when he signs there in 7 years. Unless he tries to force a trade in 3 years as a RFA, but that'll be tough

Realistically, the Leafs could get OEL and Shane Doan

imBask

Banned
i'm glad Lindros is in the news again because people keep bringing up the trade and I just love reading about it. What a crazy deal

and I just learned about what the Rangers offered for him, holy shit

The Blueshirts would give up goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck, talented young forward Tony Amonte, (who was a Calder Trophy runner-up the season prior, to Vancouver Canucks forward Pavel Bure), young forward Doug Weight, prized prospect Alexei Kovalev, as well as cash and draft picks.

zroid

Banned
This is weird for me to admit, but I'm starting to think Torts might not be as bad a coach as everyone believes.

Not saying he's a good coach, it's pretty clear he has some outdated ideas regarding personnel and how to play defence.

But overall some of the things he has implemented in Columbus this season have me feeling more positive about him than negative.

iLLmAtlc

I mean he did have a successful run in New York and Tampa, so it's not like he's some blundering idiot. I think going to Vancouver ruined his reputation. The scrutiny was so intense and all his missteps were magnified.

Same with Carlyle. He has a reputation for being an idiot and an awful coach now but he was quite respected with Anaheim.

zroid

Banned
I mean he did have a successful run in New York and Tampa, so it's not like he's some blundering idiot. I think going to Vancouver ruined his reputation. The scrutiny was so intense and all his missteps were magnified.

Same with Carlyle. He has a reputation for being an idiot and an awful coach now but he was quite respected with Anaheim.

idk man I still think Carlyle is a total hack

that might be the bias talking :lol

but in fairness though, there is a lot more quantifiable evidence that Carlyle is terrible than for Torts, I think. Torts has a lot going against him but there isn't as much data to back it up.

What people forget was that for the beginning of the year, Torts actually did do somewhat well with what he had. Granted, it was a far cry from the run and gun offense that came with the AV era, but it worked. Hell, I went to one of the last games they had in 2013 (December 22nd against Winnipeg) and they had a good game. Had them running good systems, the like. They were 10-1-2 in December for god's sake!

It was the Bob Hartley incident which really set the wheels in motion for Torts demise, considering it was a joke of a game that went out of control, and it all built up to that year's Heritage Classic, which we all know the results of.

When Torts came in, I was actually a fairly big supporter of him, if only because he would take no bullshit from the caustic Vancouver media, which ruffled enough feathers when it came to the usual suspects of Sun and Province beat writers like Botchford, Kuzma, etc. And once the tires started to fall off following the Hartley incident, the press hounds started to circle around the organization like sharks smelling blood.

In a lot of ways, the Vancouver media were the ones that really seeded the idea in fans that Torts was a bad coach right from the jump. He was fairly middling, doing what he could to instill the systems that he knew from New York and hoped they worked.

In fact, this is the sports cover for the Province on the day after Torts was hired in Columbus:

Just look at that. They focus more on the vendetta they had on Torts when it came to his time in Vancouver, putting it front and centre. And even today, they still have an axe to grind for showing the people just how fucking toxic the sports media is in Vancouver.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is weird for me to admit, but I'm starting to think Torts might not be as bad a coach as everyone believes.

Not saying he's a good coach, it's pretty clear he has some outdated ideas regarding personnel and how to play defence.

But overall some of the things he has implemented in Columbus this season have me feeling more positive about him than negative.
I've been saying for years and years that I liked Torts in NY, and many of his biggest "issues" as a coach were mostly the result of the media trying to start shit because he doesn't play nice with them.

That's not to say those are all of his issues by any stretch of the imagination, and he can easily very seriously overstay his welcome both in and out of the room, but in general I would say he's a good coach who demands a lot from his players and pushes them hard to become physically better players and people, and when he can get them to buy in it tends to work well (for a while).

I've been saying for years and years that I liked Torts in NY, and many of his biggest "issues" as a coach were mostly the result of the media trying to start shit because he doesn't play nice with them.

That's not to say those are all of his issues by any stretch of the imagination, and he can easily very seriously overstay his welcome both in and out of the room, but in general I would say he's a good coach who demands a lot from his players and pushes them hard to become physically better players and people, and when he can get them to buy in it tends to work well (for a while).

Exactly, the main problems that media especially have with Torts is that he calls them out on their bullshit. That's the crux of his entire feud with Larry Brooks, and it's why even two years later, Vancouver media still hates him for exposing them for the negatives assholes they are.

Sure, he has antiquated systems, but at the very least, he whips teams into shape.

Foggy

It helps that the Columbus media is small-fry and sedate compared to where he's coached in the past. His reputation overshadows him and it doesn't take a lot of insight to see why he's so defensive as a result of it.

Considering the talent and the shape of the franchise, I can't complain too much. Players like Cam Atkinson, William Karlsson, and Matt Calvert have thrived under him. It's hard to judge how much of an impact can be isolated to Torts but Werenski, Wennberg, and Josh Anderson have been really good under him and Nick Foligno looks like a new player after last year.

Top Bottom