• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Cake Boss

Banned
What a fucking loser, blames everyone (media and fans) but himself for his shitty product thats not selling out.

The donald trump of owners, never likes to provide actual numbers and tries to pretend he is still rich as he once was.

Chris R

32 pages?

Well I know what I'm doing tonight then lol

It's a fucking video game people, play it or don't it's not the end of the fucking world

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers lines tonight in Vancouver:

Grabner-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Fast
Lindberg-Nieves-Pirri

Socreges

Banned
What people forget was that for the beginning of the year, Torts actually did do somewhat well with what he had. Granted, it was a far cry from the run and gun offense that came with the AV era, but it worked. Hell, I went to one of the last games they had in 2013 (December 22nd against Winnipeg) and they had a good game. Had them running good systems, the like. They were 10-1-2 in December for god's sake!

It was the Bob Hartley incident which really set the wheels in motion for Torts demise, considering it was a joke of a game that went out of control, and it all built up to that year's Heritage Classic, which we all know the results of.

When Torts came in, I was actually a fairly big supporter of him, if only because he would take no bullshit from the caustic Vancouver media, which ruffled enough feathers when it came to the usual suspects of Sun and Province beat writers like Botchford, Kuzma, etc. And once the tires started to fall off following the Hartley incident, the press hounds started to circle around the organization like sharks smelling blood.

In a lot of ways, the Vancouver media were the ones that really seeded the idea in fans that Torts was a bad coach right from the jump. He was fairly middling, doing what he could to instill the systems that he knew from New York and hoped they worked.

In fact, this is the sports cover for the Province on the day after Torts was hired in Columbus:

Just look at that. They focus more on the vendetta they had on Torts when it came to his time in Vancouver, putting it front and centre. And even today, they still have an axe to grind for showing the people just how fucking toxic the sports media is in Vancouver.
Torts was bad. Fans, many here included, hated the choice immediately. Had nothing to do with the media. He made some bad choices and the result on the ice was bad.

Don't get me wrong - the Vancouver media deserves no defense. It's probably third behind Montreal and Toronto in terms of toxicity and it's bad when they've got a narrative that sticks and sells. But I cant believe that you're blaming them for Torts. I guess you were a fan, as you say.

And for the record, Canucks had 1 win in 9 games before the Calgary incident. Nice spin, though!

Stasis

I've been saying for years and years that I liked Torts in NY, and many of his biggest "issues" as a coach were mostly the result of the media trying to start shit because he doesn't play nice with them.

That's not to say those are all of his issues by any stretch of the imagination, and he can easily very seriously overstay his welcome both in and out of the room, but in general I would say he's a good coach who demands a lot from his players and pushes them hard to become physically better players and people, and when he can get them to buy in it tends to work well (for a while).

Yep. All of this. Torts did good in NY until there was an issue or players tuned him out. He's good to have around for a few years and I think a lot of our guys really benefited from having him during their growing pains.

But he's quite the character, for better AND worse. And the WCOH was ridiculous.

When people say: "How does he still have a job!?" they're just relying on media info and his drama fests, I feel like a lot of these people haven't ever really followed a Torts' coached team. Vancouver was obviously a massive failure, though.

Stasis

I know it's the KHL, a small sample size, and he's playing for the best team... but our 20 year old 4th rounder Russian goalie prospect in his last 11 games:

11-0
0.55 GAA
.979 SV%
7 SO

He's 22GP with 1.32 and .949 on the season.

Though that's really great, he's pretty much always had good numbers other than a small mediocre period as a backup last year where they weren't even bad.

Way too early to get psyched, but we've got a few decent goalie prospects. If this guy can keep going... heir to the king. Gonna regret that $8.5M Hank contract soon I bet, no matter how much he earned it. He did.

Socreges

Banned
Yep. All of this. Torts did good in NY until there was an issue or players tuned him out. He's good to have around for a few years and I think a lot of our guys really benefited from having him during their growing pains.

But he's quite the character, for better AND worse. And the WCOH was ridiculous.

When people say: "How does he still have a job!?" they're just relying on media info and his drama fests, I feel like a lot of these people haven't ever really followed a Torts' coached team.
As much as I love to blame the media too, there are concessions about each of your posts (at least it seems to me) about how Torts responds to adversity. ie, not well. He has a lot of good qualities as a coach, but he seems vulnerable in times of distress. We're celebrating him right now because he's going through a hot phase, mind you. I've never seen so much love for Torts. :p

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Poile's saying that Rinne's injury is very minor. We'll see.

I love how ruthless Gunstar is with his own team<3

You have to be at least slightly jaded to be a fan of any Tennessee sports team. Preds are by far the least disappointing team right now.

I see a tail spin coming for this team.

The Blue Jackets are hot, we play the Penguins on a second of a b2b and Trotz has decided throw a grenade throughout the lineup.

Stasis

As much as I love to blame the media too, there are concessions about each of your posts (at least it seems to me) about how Torts responds to adversity. ie, not well. He has a lot of good qualities as a coach, but he seems vulnerable in times of distress. We're celebrating him right now because he's going through a hot phase, mind you. I've never seen so much love for Torts. :p

I agree with that. He definitely can struggle with adversity, though I think less on the actual hockey side than the media side, still. At least from what I saw of him in NYC. There are so many factors at play in determining a guy's character, especially when it's reflected from interactions with a group of 22+ different "students" from one season to another, and a whole different media group. And people change, themselves, too.

Wasn't a pure fan of his. Hated his Therrien-esque line juggling among others, but overall our group at the time responded real well to him. I think he was beneficial. I've always said that I feel having some of our guys get 'raised' by Torts and then 'nurtured' by AV was a good tandem, if that makes any sense. Maybe the opposite way of doing that didn't work out so well, lol. Or just different groups of guys responding to him differently, too.

That said, I have no idea he's going through a hot phase. I haven't followed all that much of the NHL this season other than my little bubble of life (Habs due to where I live, and Rangers obviously) so I'm kinda clueless about a lot of other shit right now. This shall be remedied in January!

Stasis

Rangers lines tonight in Vancouver:

Grabner-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Fast
Lindberg-Nieves-Pirri

Imagine a line of:

Kreider - Nieves - Grabner

Would have to be the fastest line in the league unless the Pens did something with Rust, Kessel and Hags? I don't know all the other speedsters teams have, just the main names.

Not sure we'll get to see that, but it's fun to think of. Doubt Nieves stays long this season, and we may lose Grabner to the expansion if he keeps even half of this shit up lol.

edit: Ewww, forgive my double posting. =/

zroid

Banned
Me whenever I see anyone mention Grabner this season

200.gif

PillarEN

I look forward to seeing Sundin play again in the alumni game. Cujo, too.

It's weird that Detroit could only get Legace.

Kinda surprising you couldn't get Ozzy in net. Vernon I guess didn't opt in, Dom isn't really in hockey anymore on any level whatsoever. Not too many Wings goalies all things considered in the last 20 years.

From what I remember, Torts was an ownership hire (Gillis wasn't happy about it) and while they played well early in the season, the Sedins and Kesler were overworked and faded as the season went on. Santorelli and Burrows were injured for about half the season. Tom Sestito played 77 games. Kassian actually had a decent year: 73 games, 14 goals, 29 points.

I think it was a case of a square peg in a round hole. Torts' systems didn't mesh with the team's style. Maybe he shouldn't have jumped straight to another job after being fired by the Rangers. I think it was also a combination of the team having peaked, yet still being pushed to compete for a Cup.

It's still early, but maybe a younger team like Columbus is more suited for Torts: more structure, discipline, and accountability. But remember that he coached the US in the World Cup and we all know what happened there.

Top Bottom