• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Solo

Real talk, I'd love to see Ovi pull a Bourque and bolt from Washington in his final season and win a cup elsewhere (if the Caps can't ever get over the hump).

Razorskin

----- ------
Daigle was #1

Laine, #1 in our hearts

laineugun2.gif

Real talk, I'd love to see Ovi pull a Bourque and bolt from Washington in his final season and win a cup elsewhere (if the Caps can't ever get over the hump).

That'll never happen unless Ovi personally talks to Ted Leonsis about it. Ovi's happy in Washington, and even more then that; Ovi is the Capitals. He is their branding, their entire link to the DC metro area and into Maryland. He gets asses into seats who probably would never go to the Verizon Center for a game.

Sure, the Caps have lots of young talent that could easily take his place like Kuzy and Mojo, but in terms of branding and market share in the DC area, Ovi is the Caps lifeline in that regard. As such, unless things truly go south, and I don't see any indication it will be anytime soon, Ovi is staying in Washington until her retires. He and Leonsis are basically father and son in that regard.

There are a lot of parables between Ovi and the Caps and Mike Trout of the LA Angels in baseball when it comes to how much of a gold mine they are to the owners.

Ovi is arguably the best, if not the best, then the most exciting player the NHL has. So is Mike Trout. He has national appeal, and can easily put an entire Metro area (And in the case of Ovi, all of Maryland and Virginia) on his back. Both of them can easily put asses in seats that wouldn't have gone to a game at all, and gets young fans caring about the team.

Both also have the sort of effect where no matter what you do, you simply can't trade them straight up and expect to get a return back. In Ovi's case, there is no reason to trade him at the moment, unlike the Angels who are in dire straits with Trout being the only halfway decent player on the field at any given time.

If Ovi was traded for, say, McDavid, maybe I might think differently. But for now, Ovi is essentially bulletproof and untradeable in Washington, and will continue to be unless him and Leonsis have a falling out, or he personally asks management to trade him.

imBask

Banned
I kinda agree that they'll milk the cow until the end. The only chance we have to see Ovi get traded is if he slows down considerably and the fair-weather Caps fans stop going to the games, putting the team under. The fans do have a history of not showing up the frustration of being losers year after year might drive them away

I kinda agree that they'll milk the cow until the end. The only chance we have to see Ovi get traded is if he slows down considerably and the fair-weather Caps fans stop going to the games, putting the team under. The fans do have a history of not showing up the frustration of being losers year after year might drive them away

It depends on what management does going into 2020 and beyond. They still have a pretty decent window to win, especially if Holtby continues to be the world beater he has been.

But Ovi will not be traded until he specifically asks for it. He is basically king of DC, he can get and do whatever he wants. And all intensive purposes, he is staying in Washington until the end of his career.

imBask

Banned
Hope is good, but I really doubt the Caps will win a cup with Ovi at this point. I would never bet on the Caps or Sharks by now

ever

if they faced in the Stanley Cup Final i'd bet for a draw

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Naah I'm fine with this.

Sportsnet and TSN are ramming Matthews down everyone's throat.

If there wasn't backlash I'd be worried.

Socreges

Banned
Hey I haven't said anything! It's just an observation!

Nor did I sow anything for that matter
Hah, come on. "obsessed" - you're being quite emotional, zroid, for someone who eats their breakfast with a calculator

And you may not have sowed. But Leaf fans and the media certainly have.

Hah, come on. "obsessed" - you're being quite emotional, zroid, for someone who eats their breakfast with a calculator

What do you expect, MLSE is selling hope. And hope is certainly in no short supply in Toronto, with the Jays and the Leafs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dopey was literally posting scrimmage videos of Matthews in like June and people are surprised people are ribbing Leafs for Matthews cold streak?

zroid

Banned

If I were actually being emotionally affected by everyone's quips I'd probably have posted a bunch of charts and shit to show why Matthews is actually playing great and is due for a another breakout, while Laine is due to regress heavily. I'm not doing that! And I wouldn't have mentioned it either if you hadn't prodded.

Socreges

Banned
What do you expect, MLSE is selling hope. And hope is certainly in no short supply in Toronto, with the Jays and the Leafs.
Your response to 'What do you expect' is.... 'What do you expect' 🤔

It's ridiculous and excessive, either way you try to rationalize it. We'll cope with it the same way we cope with Trump: repeat 'This is not normal'.

imBask

Banned
If I were actually being emotionally affected by everyone's quips I'd probably have posted a bunch of charts and shit to show why Matthews is actually playing great and is due for a another breakout, while Laine is due to regress heavily. I'm not doing that! And I wouldn't have mentioned it either if you hadn't prodded.

you're threatening people with predictive fancystats now

get a hold of yourself zroid

Pikma

Banned
This post makes me feel unsafe. Someone with a diaper pin on their shirt, please talk me down.
I'd go after you and assault you irl but I'm afraid your son the LA Kings fan will kick my ass and punch my face
EDIT: Longer thought out post below. Image is still helpful though.
nhl-divisions.jpg
AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP USING THE STARS OLD LOGO, HOW FUCKING DIFFICULT IS IT TO GOOGLE A FUCKING LOGO?!!!!!

zroid

Banned
if any of you guys got Pokémon and want a Rowlet, I got a female so I'll be breeding some Rowlet eggs whenever I get the chance.

Top Bottom