• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Weird.

Canucks and their fans have every right to feel aggrieved.

And even more weird was how on point Cherry was about this!
Cherry can fuck right off. Considering the games we've lost after we let the foot off the gas pedal and let the other team come back to win it in OT, I'm glad we put in a better effort til the end.

Canucks fans do have every right to be pissed at that hit though it apparently isn't suspension worthy.

iLLmAtlc

The worst part about the hit was the charge IMO (jump + distance travelled). The distance he travelled to make the hit was pretty great, but I think that's slightly mitigated by him drifting as opposed to taking multiple strides. Otherwise it looked like shoulder to shoulder to me.

I think he hit his shoulder first, so it wasn't as dirty as it looked. As a fan, I'm glad he didn't get any games because we need him (and I worry about him racking up suspensions and then it hurting us badly in the future), but I will admit I'm surprised.

RIP Marek Svatos

Socreges

Banned
Cherry can fuck right off. Considering the games we've lost after we let the foot off the gas pedal and let the other team come back to win it in OT, I'm glad we put in a better effort til the end.

Canucks fans do have every right to be pissed at that hit though it apparently isn't suspension worthy.
You're entitled to maintain your opinion. The NHL are not the gatekeepers of objective truth.

Foggy

Well, I mean they are when it comes to what the rules of NHL hockey are.

Did I wake up to a world where the DoPS is not widely mocked and the Wheel of Justice isn't a thing?

People can make their case and back it up, but using the DoPS as a pillar is buffoonery.

Did I wake up to a world where the DoPS is not widely mocked and the Wheel of Justice isn't a thing?

People can make their case and back it up, but using the DoPS as a pillar is buffoonery.

I'm actually going by LeBrun reporting that Kekalainen tried to get this kind of hit banned and failed.

https://twitter.com/real_espnlebrun/status/795309108605964288

I said NHL, not DPS. DPS can't suspend a player for a hit the NHL hasn't made illegal.

Edit: Also do you disagree that the NHL are the ultimate arbiters of what is a legal hockey hit? That is what I said and you didn't address that at all in your post.

Socreges

Banned

wheel.jpg

Even more relevant than ever.

Foggy

I'm actually going by LeBrun reporting that Kekalainen tried to get this kind of hit banned and failed.

https://twitter.com/real_espnlebrun/status/795309108605964288

I said NHL, not DPS. DPS can't suspend a player for a hit the NHL hasn't made illegal.

Yeah good on Kekkles. But even given the rules, I'm not sold that the head wasn't the primary point of contact. That entire notion is not objective so interpretation of the rulebook still applies and is up for discussion and in this instance the ruling should be mocked. Kadri knew what he was doing and he hit precisely which part of Sedin he wanted to hit.

To the point of your edit, of course the NHL does and should have the final say but that doesn't illuminate any aspect of this discussion. Let's not pretend these rules are black and white.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If the roles were reversed and Kadri had been subjected to that hit from a Canucks player, Leafs fans would want that player hanged.

Kadri is and has always been a dirty rat, DoPS continues to be a joke.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah good on Kekkles. But even given the rules, I'm not sold that the head wasn't the primary point of contact. That entire notion is not objective so interpretation of the rulebook still applies and is up for discussion and in this instance the ruling should be mocked. Kadri knew what he was doing and he hit precisely which part of Sedin he wanted to hit.

To the point of your edit, of course the NHL does and should have the final say but that doesn't illuminate any aspect of this discussion. Let's not pretend these rules are black and white.
😍

zroid

Banned
I think it was the combination of the ambiguity of whether the head was the primary contact point AND the fact that Daniel appeared to be fine which resulted in the decision to not suspend. DoPS may also have had a better view than us, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of that doubt on that particular thing.

HOWEVER, the bigger issue here is that the decision shouldn't hinge entirely on whether the head was contacted. No matter how you look at it, it was a dangerous hit. Kadri charged, he left his feet, and he made contact from a position where it was impossible for Daniel to protect himself. A couple inches left or right shouldn't be what decides if a player is suspended or not. Even if the head wasn't the primary point of contact, it very well could have been.

Foggy

I think it was the combination of the ambiguity of whether the head was the primary contact point AND the fact that Daniel appeared to be fine which resulted in the decision to not suspend. DoPS may also have had a better view than us, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of that doubt on that particular thing.

HOWEVER, the bigger issue here is that the decision shouldn't hinge entirely on whether the head was contacted. No matter how you look at it, it was a dangerous hit. Kadri charged, he left his feet, and he made contact from a position where it was impossible for Daniel to protect himself. A couple inches left or right shouldn't be what decides if a player is suspended or not. Even if the head wasn't the primary point of contact, it very well could have been.

Yeah there's multiple layers to this and another aspect to the discussion is if the rules themselves(as written) actively contribute or detract from the express purpose of making the game safer.

And you're right, if someone is injured then the rules do magically take on a starker contrast of black and white. This does show how DoPS can and will adjust their interpetations outside of their supposedly rigid guidelines.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, the fact that Daniel was fine was the biggest factor. That has been the DoPS' modus operandi for years. Has always been a completely fucked up way of looking at it. Attempted murder still comes with a sentence even though you weren't successful.

I think he hit his shoulder first, so it wasn't as dirty as it looked. As a fan, I'm glad he didn't get any games because we need him (and I worry about him racking up suspensions and then it hurting us badly in the future), but I will admit I'm surprised.

RIP Marek Svatos

If anything he glanced off the front of the shoulder right into his head. Dirty hit.

I'm just saying you should be mad at the NHL like I am, and not mad at DPS who just apply the rules. Don't shoot the messenger.

The DPS is a convenient scapegoat here, because the problem here is clearly about how the NHL defines illegal hits. It's not like the DPS is going rogue.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be out of contact tonight since I'll be at Yankee Stadium for NYCFC's playoff game
where they're going to be eliminated by Toronto

In the meantime, the Jets always give us fits because they always seem to be so huge. The team is also likely to look a little tired out with tonight being their 5th game in 8 days and on the back end of a back to back. On the plus side, it sounds like Adam Clendening might actually be allowed to play tonight, and Henrik Lundqvist is back in net after sitting for (the still undefeated) Antti Raanta last night.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
For reference, this hit: https://youtu.be/YaK8yyR4D0s

With a statement of "while the initial impact may have been the shoulder, it was glancing and the main impact was on the head" which is the exact same type of hit IF EVEN than Kadri's. i'd argue Kadri's is worse.

And that Torres hit got a suspension in the playoffs. So there's that.

Fuck the DoPS, Daniel probably needed to retire to have Kadri suspended.

This also means next game will be real ugly, uglier than it wouldve been if Kadri had gotten suspensiom since there'll be a feeling of "we need to take it into our own hands"

Socreges

Banned
I'm just saying you should be mad at the NHL like I am, and not mad at DPS who just apply the rules. Don't shoot the messenger.

The DPS is a convenient scapegoat here, because the problem here is clearly about how the NHL defines illegal hits. It's not like the DPS is going rogue.
You're... suggesting there's no subjectivity involved.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'll be out of contact tonight since I'll be at Yankee Stadium for NYCFC's playoff game
where they're going to be eliminated by Toronto

In the meantime, the Jets always give us fits because they always seem to be so huge. The team is also likely to look a little tired out with tonight being their 5th game in 8 days and on the back end of a back to back. On the plus side, it sounds like Adam Clendening might actually be allowed to play tonight, and Henrik Lundqvist is back in net after sitting for (the still undefeated) Antti Raanta last night.
Im gonna wear my Jets jersey around the house today just to spite you.

Socreges

Banned
I'm...suggesting that the NHL makes the rules and explicitly passed on making that hit illegal. Maybe that's why it wasn't suspendable. Just throwing it out there.

For reference, this hit: https://youtu.be/YaK8yyR4D0s

With a statement of "while the initial impact may have been the shoulder, it was glancing and the main impact was on the head" which is the exact same type of hit IF EVEN than Kadri's. i'd argue Kadri's is worse.

And that Torres hit got a suspension in the playoffs. So there's that.

Fuck the DoPS, Daniel probably needed to retire to have Kadri suspended.

This also means next game will be real ugly, uglier than it wouldve been if Kadri had gotten suspensiom since there'll be a feeling of "we need to take it into our own hands"
Great example. The idea that the DoPS simply applies rules uniformly without any subjectivity...come on.

Also this: https://mobile.twitter.com/squampton/status/795321758307913728/video/1

Top Bottom