• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Foggy

I'm just saying you should be mad at the NHL like I am, and not mad at DPS who just apply the rules. Don't shoot the messenger.

The DPS is a convenient scapegoat here, because the problem here is clearly about how the NHL defines illegal hits. It's not like the DPS is going rogue.

To be clear, I'm not mad at them, I just don't ascribe any weight to their decisions. That's why the whole "Dopey redeemed" thing was laughable to me.

Also, even with the rules given, I don't agree with their interpretation and decision. "Primary point of contact" connotates priority as opposed to sequence. And that is a point of subjectivity. Personally, priority appears to apply to intended target and which body part received the main force of impact. The head is clearly the primary point of contact in my eyes. Even if we just compare my view as purely subjective along with DoPS, I feel ok with mine placing more of a premium on player safety, if both viewpoints are considered equally valid.

I don't see how the shoulder contact is anything other than incidental. And that is a distinction that the DoPS can and has made in the past, but there's no sense as to when and why it is or isn't considered a factor in their decisions.

Samyy

bless him and Leipsic

thank you perds

If Kapanen can turn into a bonafide top 6 forward that would definitely help ease some of the pain of the Kessel trade :(

Its going to be tough getting ice-time for all these guys, have to imagine some of them will be traded.

To be clear, I'm not mad at them, I just don't ascribe any weight to their decisions. That's why the whole "Dopey redeemed" thing was laughable to me.

Also, even with the rules given, I don't agree with their interpretation and decision. "Primary point of contact" connotates priority as opposed to sequence. And that is a point of subjectivity. Personally, priority appears to apply to intended target and which body part received the main force of impact. The head is clearly the primary point of contact in my eyes. Even if we just compare my view as purely subjective along with DoPS, I feel ok with mine placing more of a premium on player safety, if both viewpoints are considered equally valid.

I don't see how the shoulder contact is anything other than incidental. And that is a distinction that the DoPS can and has made in the past, but there's no sense as to when and why it is or isn't considered a factor in their decisions.

If you think this hit is already illegal then why did your GM try to add it to the list of banned hits? 🤔

Foggy

If you think this hit is already illegal then why did your GM try to add it to the list of banned hits? 🤔

To make it more explicit and not conveniently ignored like in this case.

Besides, LeBrun is referring to Jarmo talking about blindside hits, which isn't even part of the crux of my argument.

Leaf fans, have the TV broadcasts been showing anthems this year? On CBC they showed a neat story about a young absolutely amazing-sounding anthem singer that's been doing all the Leaf home games (Martina Luis Ortiz). Never seen her sing and it's likely because I've just been missing the beginning of the games but I'm really curious to se if the networks have still been broadcasting anthems.

She can sing but also drags out the anthems to almost 10 minutes. I figured she would get scolded or cut after the first time but nope.

🤔🤔🤔

ieIw6niHNfVIo.png

Foggy

A five minute charge and game misconduct isn't ignoring it. That's just what the NHL feels is the appropriate sanction. The secretly suspendable hit is a weird narrative to run.

Feel free to think it's fair punishment for that hit. I feel that's woefully misguided and not in line with what happened and not in line with the spirit of protecting players through punishment.

Feel free to think it's fair punishment for that hit. I feel that's woefully misguided and not in line with what happened and not in line with the spirit of protecting players through punishment.

I said that's what the NHL thinks is fair. I said he should have gotten an in person hearing.

My co-worker who is also a hockey player / fan has been working with https://powerplay.hockey on his free time for couple of weekends and it's pretty neat: it has all the information from past, current and upcoming NHL games wrapped in a neat, super fast package.

Foggy

I said that's what the NHL thinks is fair. I said he should have gotten an in person hearing.

Ok, I'm not trying to make this a you're wrong/I'm right thing, I'm only trying to speak to the DoPS response, how wrong I think it is(even with the rules given), and how their less than sterling reputation and track record doesn't vindicate anyone's prior justification for the hit.

Ok, I'm not trying to make this a you're wrong/I'm right thing, I'm only trying to speak to the DoPS response, how wrong I think it is(even with the rules given), and how their less than sterling reputation and track record doesn't vindicate anyone's prior justification for the hit.

So you've decided who to blame and won't let facts get in the way? The league mandates DPoS. The league is a joke when it comes to head shots. Why are you ignoring those things when coming to the conclusion that the DPoS isn't fulfilling their mandate? The obvious conclusion that fits all the evidence is that the DPoS is acting exactly how the league would like them to act, and it's the league itself that isn't taking the hits seriously.

It's super silly that you would get this worked up over the suggestion that the league is ultimately to blame.

Stasis

Seems like a missed a ton of fuckery in the Canucks Leafs game. I need to go watch all that.

Also, so many goals so far this season. Last night's scores are crazy. This has to be a higher average than usual.

Foggy

So you've decided who to blame and won't let facts get in the way? The league mandates DPoS. The league is a joke when it comes to head shots. Why are you ignoring those things when coming to the conclusion that the DPoS isn't fulfilling their mandate? The obvious conclusion that fits all the evidence is that the DPoS is acting exactly how the league would like them to act, and it's the league itself that isn't taking the hits seriously.

It's super silly that you would get this worked up over the suggestion that the league is ultimately to blame.

I'm not worked up over that suggestion at all, I agree they shoulder blame. But even within the mandated guidelines DoPS made the wrong decision here and they have a pattern of inconsistent punishments. I don't know how we got to the point where we're arguing past each other.

The NHL part of the equation is an important discussion but ultimately ancillary to my primary point that even within the flawed structure of the ruleset, the DoPS could have and should have handed out punishment and they could have done so without violating the ruleset.

I'm not worked up over that suggestion at all, I agree they shoulder blame. But even within the mandated guidelines DoPS made the wrong decision here and they have a pattern of inconsistent punishments. I don't know how we got to the point where we're arguing past each other.

The NHL part of the equation is an important discussion but ultimately ancillary to my primary point that even within the flawed structure of the ruleset, the DoPS could have and should have handed out punishment and they could have done so without violating the ruleset.

Foggy pls. Follow your argument to it's conclusion. If you think DoPS had the authority and mandate to suspend a player and they didn't, there are only two possible explanations: Either they screwed up, or the hit wasn't illegal. Couple that with the info that Kekalainen was trying to get that hit on the banned list, and well that should push your conclusion in one direction, and one direction only. It's not an illegal hit according to the NHL, and that's the real scandal here.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not vindicated. Anyone that watches hockey knows thats a clean hit. The primary point of contact was the shoulder. Just trying to explain things for the fair weather fans on NeoGAF.

You should really try and make it less obvious that you're Manic's 2nd alt after Dopey

Top Bottom