• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

I've probably gone through 7 variations of shock, fear, and sadness. I don't even know how to prepare myself for this or even how to process it. Facts don't matter, debates don't matter, pasts don't matter. The only thing that matters is how loud you are. I still can't fathom it.

I'm afraid most of all. I'm half brown half black dude with a Muslim name living in GA. There is no one in any office above me who will stand up for me. I'm afraid for my family and the amount of hatred that is now emboldened. Do I need to get a carry license? Do I need to put my money in gold and shit? How can I protect myself now? I'm now the enemy to the majority of America.

The Dems are pretty much finished now as a party. The turned out thier base, had a surge in Latino votes but among all that the rural uneducated abandoned all logic and turned out for Trump. I do not see any path for the party any more. No Congress, no Executive, no judicial, no governor majority. It is dead.

My mom served, my grandfather helped design the original radar array at Ramstien AFB. I've grown up and have been a strong patriot my entire life and tonight I don't recognize this country, I feel betrayed and now have a target on my back.

I just am at a loss right now.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I, like many people underestimated the hatred of a rural white America, but he also won where Obama won and Hilary could not reach, I don't know if that's a general lack of education or what it is, but this is humiliating and disheartening. I don't think he cheated, I just think he empowered a disgusting majority of America that is okay with what he has down and I say this as someone who has spent a lot of time in multiple states.

Edit : Like Dubbed said, I don't know how as a person of minority you can look on this and be hopeful for the future, it's horrifying.

Socreges

Banned
Dubbed :( sorry dude

Trump also generated a lot of confusion and uncertainty around Clinton which didn't necessarily get people to vote for him but it probably did a LOT to ensure people were disillusioned and would remain home.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've probably gone through 7 variations of shock, fear, and sadness. I don't even know how to prepare myself for this or even how to process it. Facts don't matter, debates don't matter, pasts don't matter. The only thing that matters is how loud you are. I still can't fathom it.

I'm afraid most of all. I'm half brown half black dude with a Muslim name living in GA. There is no one in any office above me who will stand up for me. I'm afraid for my family and the amount of hatred that is now emboldened. Do I need to get a carry license? Do I need to put my money in gold and shit? How can I protect myself now? I'm now the enemy to the majority of America.

The Dems are pretty much finished now as a party. The turned out thier base, had a surge in Latino votes but among all that the rural uneducated abandoned all logic and turned out for Trump. I do not see any path for the party any more. No Congress, no Executive, no judicial, no governor majority. It is dead.

My mom served, my grandfather helped design the original radar array at Ramstien AFB. I've grown up and have been a strong patriot my entire life and tonight I don't recognize this country, I feel betrayed and now have a target on my back.

I'm sorry to hear that Dubbed. A LOT of Americans must feel the same way. I don't see how Trump can be a president for ALL Americans when his entire platform was pretty much "fuck 50% of the country, including all Minorities". Usually it's if you lose you're disappointed but it's not the end of the world. Now people who lost are actually legitimately scared for their livelihoods and becoming disenfranchised. It's a scary world we live in.

Facts don't matter. This is populism and taking advantage of a populace who doesn't care about facts.

I worry this will cause Dems to move even further right than they already are, virtually eliminating the US having any kind of left-wing party. Dems will be center, Republicans will be far-right.

Pikma

Banned

I'm deeply sorry dubbed

My mother, along with many other close family members, is a non-white legal immigrant so I can fully understand what you're going through...

I mean, this mess affects me too and I'm not white either, but I don't give a fuck about that, what worries me is my mom and what could happen to her...

Nikolai11

Neo Member

I've only just started posting, but I've been lurking NHL-gaf for a couple years and it sucks knowing how some of you guys are going to be negatively affected. I'm sorry Dubbed

I can't stomach reading the general thread anymore. There's already
white
posters whining about racism being directed their way

But howabout those Canucks.....

Smiley90

I've only just started posting, but I've been lurking NHL-gaf for a couple years and it sucks knowing how some of you guys are going to be negatively affected. I'm sorry Dubbed

I can't stomach reading the general thread anymore. There's already
white
posters whining about racism being directed their way

But howabout those Canucks.....

2016 is the darkest timeline.

The Cubs winning caused this.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm kinda in the same boat as Pikma is, though my mother is a legal immigrant and has been an actual American citizen for years now. Seeing the results tonight just shakes a fear into me what might happen to her, especially since she runs a small independent store all by herself.

The next four years are going to suck for us all.

Smiley90

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm kinda in the same boat as Pikma is, though my mother is a legal immigrant and has been an actual American citizen for years now. Seeing the results tonight just shakes a fear into me what might happen to her, especially since she runs a small independent store all by herself.

The next four years are going to suck for us all.

Doesn't matter that you're a legal immigrant or actual citizen, you just don't look white right

Smiley90

RIP America.

My condolences to anyone who will suffer from this. Which will be a lot of people, including nearly everyone who's not a white male I guess.

Smiley90

Incredible.

And now he'll be the great unifier, apparently.

I give it a 0% chance he wrote that speech himself. Someone wrote that for him to focus on unity and told him to not stray from the teleprompter under any circumstances.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Dems really need to learn to broaden their appeal. As much as the GOP are a splintered faction with pro abortion, tax cutters, libertarians, single issue voters etc, they unite and vote, every time. Meanwhile on the left they take minorities for granted ignored the bernie bros, blue collar workers etc.

Now granted those ppl should have still seen Hillary as the only rational choice but politics/pop culture has devolved to a parody of reality tv shit. I dunno how they can unite all the left wing factions esp when policy doesn`t seem to matter, I dunno who they could even put forward as a nominee.

At the end of the day those with power have to actually volunteer some of that to the unprivileged genuinely which is not all fair to expect minorities given how much shit they already concede just to be ignored/taken for granted. Equality looks like oppression for the oppressors indeed :/

So Hillary lost because she lacked some charisma and some bad judgment. trump is the heel who can cut a promo and be over with the crowd. Mostly white male crowd.

Smiley90

So Hillary lost because she lacked some charisma and some bad judgment. trump is the heel who can cut a promo and be over with the crowd. Mostly white male crowd.

Hillary lost because the American electorate apparently wants someone populist, xenophobic, misogynistic and bigoted. How the Democrats (and the American people in general I guess) deal with that will reveal itself over the next few years. Something needs to change unless you want this devolution into Idiocracy to continue. And that's what it looks like right now. The rest of the world is absolutely stunned.

I for one have never been more proud of Canada for how we run our elections and how we voted right now.

Everyone is going to suffer. Even white males. Well most of them.

Yeah. But everyone not rich, white and male will categorically suffer more because he's already announced that he'll make them suffer. Everyone will suffer from NATO/Climate Change/Spending Reduction/etc. Women, LGBTQ, Racial Minorities, Religious Minorities will suffer from everything he's already announced, not to mention unannounced things a Republican White House/House&Senate can push through.

Stasis

I'm in shock really. I can't explain how I feel. Even being up in Canada, I just can't fathom my other/original country (of birth) managing to do this. I'm a white as fuck dude with a white as fuck gf and we're in the age range of the mass Trump followers. I couldn't have voted for him unless you tortured me. I just don't fucking get it. My only possible rationalization, weak as it may be, is lack of culture, education and exposure. The fact that SO many Americans went out and did this boggles my mind. It's not a country I recognize or identify with anymore and I'd gladly renounce my citizenahip.

I ain't going back. And I'm pretty safe. I feel so so so bad for you Dubbed, and everyone else in a similar position. Y'all need to come to Canada. We're far from perfect but we're a fuckload better than down there right now.

I'm going to avoid all news sites, and forums that lean even remotely policitcal at times. At least for the next few days. I fear for what will occur, both in the hear and now, and also in the eventual.

Fuck.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I have this weird theory that because there were so many scandal/appalling things coming from trump, none of them could stick long enough to really hurt him. All we heard about Hilary was emails, over and over and over again for a year. Trump would say something stupid then a week later say or do something else, pushing the previous thing from the news cycle. It also doesn't help that our general attention spans are terrible in this day and age and always need the next thing to latch on to. We've become our own reality tv show because we're a country of superficial pop instead of thoughtful discussion. This is just so surreal... Like, I really don't understand how this happened.

yyzjohn

Banned
I have this weird theory that because there were so many scandal/appalling things coming from trump, none of them could stick long enough to really hurt him. All we heard about Hilary was emails, over and over and over again for a year. Trump would say something stupid then a week later say or do something else, pushing the previous thing from the news cycle. It also doesn't help that our general attention spans are terrible in this day and age and always need the next thing to latch on to. We've become our own reality tv show because we're a country of superficial pop instead of thoughtful discussion. This is just so surreal... Like, I really don't understand how this happened.

Merica.

I'm still trying to process how he bombed all three debates and people still chose him.

Cake Boss

Banned
I can't believe I am living a world where this orange turd is a president.

I don't even want to follow any news for the next 4 years, going to be such fuckery.

Cake Boss

Banned
I don't understand how he got 29% of the latino vote. More than Romney.

This election makes no sense

There is alot of Latinos vote Republican no matter what based on the sole fact of US intervention with communism in central America.

My wife's dad always supported Republicans because it was Bush Sr that intervened in the Nicaraguans civil war and helped getting him and his family out of the country.

calder

Everyone trying to figure out what happened is really really underselling the bone deep sexism at play. An embarrassingly high percentage of men just won't vote for a woman to lead them no matter what and it's not just old guys.

Ugh the election was literally the first thing I thought of after waking up. What a soul crushing disappointment

Rural america is full of racist and sexist uneducated white men. They came out in spades this election.

Also Trump's minority turnout was much higher than expected.

The DNC did nothing to help though. All the scandals and stuff obviously hurt too, but you are right that sexism played a huge role.

I am just happy that I was right that Houston did what it did. We got Democrat across the board and was a blue county. Just wish there was more of that elsewhere.

Silexx

I can't believe I am living a world where this orange turd is a president.

I don't even want to follow any news for the next 4 years, going to be such fuckery.

My sentiments exactly. I'll be keeping to the bubble even more now as I just don't want to deal with that shit.

I'm not gonna lie: I barely slept last night because I was in such disbelief over what has transpired.

holy fuckin shit

4bca8dcdb83948a4b51943a7723e6b0f.png

going to bed for real now

that is fucking embarrassing.

Sorry Dubbed... America showed it's true colors tonight and they are nasty ones. I wish you all the best and let us know if we can help in any way

This may sound stupid but I need a fucking hug, seriously

We all do buddy

Top Bottom