• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

So...has anybody posted this?

screen-shot-2016-11-08-at-2-49-04-pm.png

For context, this is Mike Gillis basically calling out Ed Gilles, writer for the Vancouver Province.

I mean, I am glad somebody in the organization is calling out the frankly spiteful and toxic Vancouver sports media, but it just goes to show how dysfunctional the franchise is right now.

Haha. That's great. Some good ol locker room shit talking.

Honestly? This isn't locker room talking, it's a shot across the bow that some people within the Canucks organization are sick and tired of some of the faces in Vancouver sports media, mainly Botchford and Gilles.

PillarEN

Honestly? This isn't locker room talking, it's a shot across the bow that some people within the Canucks organization are sick and tired of some of the faces in Vancouver sports media, mainly Botchford and Gilles.

Nah. I'm just joking around. I absolutely love the text message. Funny stuff.

Meanwhile, Dylan Larkin doesn't give one once of shit about the presidency. Here are his and some other Red Wings' players thoughts (before the results)

http://www.freep.com/videos/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/11/08/93483026/

Virtanen wasn't going to develop while playing limited minutes with little room for error. Playing in the AHL will be good for him.

Bizarre stat of the day: Markstrom is 4-2-1 and Miller is 1-6.

God bless the Canucks and the years of laughter to come

It all begins at the top and trickles down.

The Aqullini's were decent owners when the team was doing well, the offence was clicking, and Luongo was probably the best goalie in the NHL. But since 2011, they've shown that they don't care about the team, and are only in it for the money. Sure, that's the main point of owning a sports team, but ultimately if you want the money in, you have to eventually bite the bullet and take a few years to restock and rearm.

The Aquillini's don't want to do that. Rather, they want to go the rebuild on the fly route, which 9 times out of 10, doesn't work. Hell, it doesn't work at all. But the Aquilini's think they can get away with that while still thinking they can get away with screwing over fans by charging exorbitant rates to go to the game like it was 2011. This year, they finally relented.

It also doesn't help that they decided to use one of the most recognizable and loved faces of the franchise, Trevor Linden, and basically using him as a sort of mindless lackey. I have said it before, but I could see exactly what the hiring of Trevor Linden was when it happened: it was the Aquillini's using Trevor as a cover so that they could take the heat off them. Well it hasn't worked, and I am fairly certain that a lot of the good will Linden had in his playing days in Vancouver is all but evaporated.

Some of it comes down to the media too. Even when the team was doing well, the Sun and the Province seemed to love making it seem like the sky was falling. Even when he was at his best, the media seemed to want to constantly point out the flaws of Luongo and make it seem as if he didn't get 82 straight shutouts, that he was a scrub. That's why there is such a distrust of the beat writers for papers in Vancouver, and I would say the radio and TV media.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So...has anybody posted this?

screen-shot-2016-11-08-at-2-49-04-pm.png

For context, this is Mike Gillis basically calling out Ed Gilles, writer for the Vancouver Province.

I mean, I am glad somebody in the organization is calling out the frankly spiteful and toxic Vancouver sports media, but it just goes to show how dysfunctional the franchise is right now.

I said hot damn

Yoyoing younger players between the NHL and AHL like that generally isn't a good thing for their development

It isn't and Jimbo and the Canucks upper brass are going to get a rude awakening when they find out that Virtanen isn't the top level prospect they or the fans prayed for.

Parch

That's the Canadian hockey media for ya. Print media is always a bunch of jerks, but others go to both extremes depending on whether or not their company has the TV or radio broadcast rights. One group will shit on the team big time, the other side are bunch of team apologists. Both are annoying.

In regards to the Canucks, one last point I want to make:

As much as we laugh about it, I really appreciate the honesty that MLSE and the management group had when it came to the Leafs and their current rebuild. They lined out where they wanted to be in a few years, and outright said to fans that the process would be long, and probably painful, but the fruits of the labor would hopefully be oh so sweet.

In Vancouver, that simply won't happen. The Aquillini's are simply too proud to not have the money constantly flowing in, so they are the ones sending the mixed signals and telling the management group to 'win now, tank, rebuild on the fly too' which is where the Canucks currently are.

Hell, even if the Canucks start tanking hardcore, then the price of tickets is bound to go down by forcing the owners hands, and maybe then you might see the problem of the lower bowl of Rogers Arena have actual fans inside of it instead of the suits on their phones using it as a glorified business meeting.

That's the Canadian hockey media for ya. Print media is always a bunch of jerks, but others go to both extremes depending on whether or not their company has the TV or radio broadcast rights. One group will shit on the team big time, the other side are bunch of team apologists. Both are annoying.

See, here's the thing: I don't really think that is the case for the Canucks, at least, not completely. Most of the time, TSN 1040 seems relatively level headed in regards to criticism and facing the facts, and Sportsnet somewhat is too, though I haven't watched a game on SN for a while now to make that assumption again.

Samyy

Lets be real though, the Leafs were doing what Vancouver is doing now for many years. They should have done a proper rebuild when Sundin was traded.

So no I don't give MLSE any credit for this shit

Lets be real though, the Leafs were doing what Vancouver is doing now for many years. They should have done a proper rebuild when Sundin was traded.

Yes, but at the very least, they swallowed their lumps, came together and made a plan. They got all the right people, and are focused on executing that plan to a tee.

The Canucks ownership group simply doesn't want to swallow their lumps and take the full step forward.

zroid

Banned

Yep and the reports of Shanny having to make an elaborate presentation to the MLSE board to persuade them to allow a full scale rebuild doesn't inspire much confidence in their prior attitudes

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Trevor Linden is for Vancouver what Shanny has been for Toronto

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but at the very least, they swallowed their lumps, came together and made a plan. They got all the right people, and are focused on executing that plan to a tee.

The Canucks ownership group simply doesn't want to swallow their lumps and take the full step forward.

Eventually.

Eventually.

When is eventually though?

When the fans have completely revolted and the stadium is half empty, with people pulling the same shit Leafs fans did a few years back, throwing Eggos on the ice and jerseys? As much as we say that it's a bad thing, to do either of those things, it's one of the few ways we can sufficiently get across that the team sucks. You can vote with your wallet, sure, but you are just being replaced by some young family who can finally go to games now, or some guy who only goes to games once a year?

Sure, a Canadian hockey franchise is a literal licence to print money. But even in our fervor for the sport, there are limits to mediocrity and fan apathy.

Linden definitely feels like more of a "brand ambassador" then anything

Absolutely, and it feeds into my opinion that Linden was an obvious emergency move by the Aqullinis to bring in a franchise legend so they could get the heat off their backs. Linden definitely felt like he was more comfortable being the face of his gyms then becoming one of the visible faces of the franchise alongside Benning and Willie.

calder

Linden definitely feels like more of a "brand ambassador" then anything

Truly get the impression half his job is being there for the season ticket holders meeting in the summer so the nostalgic fans will be pumped getting an autograph and a pic.

yyzjohn

Banned

Sundin blocked a trade so they could never get that rebuild off the ground. He would have brought a boatload of prospects and picks.

Samyy

Sundin blocked a trade so they could never get that rebuild off the ground. He would have brought a boatload of prospects and picks.

Sorry yea, I was only like 12-13 when that stuff was going on so my memory isn't that clear, I wasn't paying as close attention back then as I do now.

yyzjohn

Banned
Sorry yea, I was only like 12-13 when that stuff was going on so my memory isn't that clear, I wasn't paying as close attention back then as I do now.

It's probably better now anyway, Leafs management back then was a mess and they would have messed it up even if Sundin agreed to a trade. It was fucking painful the last decade, but finally at last they have a regime willing to do what it takes. As long as ownership doesn't change course and let's these guys finish the job, they'll be a great team soon.

Truly get the impression half his job is being there for the season ticket holders meeting in the summer so the nostalgic fans will be pumped getting an autograph and a pic.

Even then, with how he is doing now, that is definitely going down the drain rather quickly.

Socreges

Banned
In regards to the Canucks, one last point I want to make:

As much as we laugh about it, I really appreciate the honesty that MLSE and the management group had when it came to the Leafs and their current rebuild. They lined out where they wanted to be in a few years, and outright said to fans that the process would be long, and probably painful, but the fruits of the labor would hopefully be oh so sweet.

In Vancouver, that simply won't happen. The Aquillini's are simply too proud to not have the money constantly flowing in, so they are the ones sending the mixed signals and telling the management group to 'win now, tank, rebuild on the fly too' which is where the Canucks currently are.

Hell, even if the Canucks start tanking hardcore, then the price of tickets is bound to go down by forcing the owners hands, and maybe then you might see the problem of the lower bowl of Rogers Arena have actual fans inside of it instead of the suits on their phones using it as a glorified business meeting.

See, here's the thing: I don't really think that is the case for the Canucks, at least, not completely. Most of the time, TSN 1040 seems relatively level headed in regards to criticism and facing the facts, and Sportsnet somewhat is too, though I haven't watched a game on SN for a while now to make that assumption again.
Just to be fair... Toronto had to fail in 9 consecutive seasons of trying to build through trades and free agency, with one moderately successful lockout season, before finally realizing they had to try a clean slate. The Canucks are 4 seasons removed from consecutive Presidents Trophies and SCF game 7 (and 1 season removed from 100 points). Unfortunately these 'come to Jesus' turns take time. Especially when you have teams that haven't had to build through tanking (eg, Red Wings, Sharks).

Just to be fair... Toronto had to fail in 9 consecutive seasons of trying to build through trades and free agency, with one moderately successful lockout season, before finally realizing they had to try a clean slate. The Canucks are 4 seasons removed from consecutive Presidents Trophies and SCF game 7 (and 1 season removed from 100 points). Unfortunately these 'come to Jesus' turns take time. Especially when you have teams that haven't had to build through tanking (eg, Red Wings, Sharks).

I know it takes time, it's more so me wondering if the Aqullini's will be willing to even have the come to Jesus moment.

Samyy

It seems like Vancouver fans don't fill the stadium for bad teams so owners should eventually get the message I would hope as they continue to flounder

It seems like Vancouver fans don't fill the stadium for bad teams so owners should eventually get the message I would hope as they continue to flounder

They don't, but at the same time they are in somewhat of a quandry. Fans don't want to fill the stands to send a message to the owners, but at the same time, the drop in ticket prices and interest gives young families and other people who were essentially priced out over the past few years have a new way in. Though I imagine if people want to see cheap hockey action, they'll head into Langley to see the Giants or into Surrey to see the Eagles.

Their hand will be forced, just like Toronto's.

Hopefully then they will realize they need to change, or they stuck in the loop.

Socreges

Banned
The prices have recently come down to (mostly) reasonable levels. Now the org needs to earn the fans back who they gouged and ostracized when the team was hot.

Top Bottom