• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Chris R

Speaking of bad hockey teams ticket prices, grabbed my first two avs tickets for later this month, but for some reason the game against the stars is like 3 or 4 times more expensive than the other two lol

Gonna hold out and hope the price drops some more before I grab something :(

I still feel like the Aquilini's are trying to sell the team. Should've done it 3 years ago, but they hired Linden as a publicity stunt and are trying to promote a "we're still competitive!" vision for potential buyers.

And yes, it does feel a bit like the Leafs with Sundin and the Flames with Iginla; too proud and/or stubborn to admit that it's time to tear it down and rebuild.

I still feel like the Aquilini's are trying to sell the team. Should've done it 3 years ago, but they hired Linden as a publicity stunt and are trying to promote a "we're still competitive!" vision for potential buyers.

And yes, it does feel a bit like the Leafs with Sundin and the Flames with Iginla; too proud and/or stubborn to admit that it's time to tear it down and rebuild.

The thing is, who wants to buy the team? Are they trying to keep it within BC, or are they willing to go outside the lines?

Merguson

Banned
If JFJ had his way supposedly we would have been rebuilding from the first lockout.

But he was denied.

Either way, he would have been a terrible general manager. It would be just like the Oilers. Except we wouldn't never gotten the 1st overall pick, I'm sure.

Sportsnet: Leading by Example: the story of Sudarshan Maharaj

Sudarshan Maharaj kicked back at a friend’s house after a long night, savouring the company and the warmth of the indoors—a nice respite from the December cold of Hällefors, Sweden. It was 1987, and Maharaj was playing goal in a Swedish pro league. He’d been out that night attending a fundraiser with teammates and, good enough to DD, had dropped several of them off before parking his Toyota—a loaner from the team—in his friend’s driveway.

Maharaj was unwinding when he heard what sounded like glass shattering outside. He turned toward the window and saw a flash of light streaking upward, something he’d later learn was a Molotov cocktail. It was followed, suddenly, by the concussive boom of a small explosion.

Maharaj rushed to the window and looked out to find the winter night lit by the Toyota, engulfed in flames. He scrambled outside and tried to extinguish the blaze with snow he scraped from the ground with his bare hands, but it wasn’t long before he was forced to acknowledge his efforts were pointless: the fire had caused enough damage that there was a real possibility the car could blow up and the inferno could spread to the house. He backed off as friends called the fire department. “I initially tried to put it out and then realized it was moot,” he says.

Great longform article of the Trinidad born goalie coach of the Anaheim Ducks. And it goes to show how important it is to get minority youths in Canada to play hockey, and it starts by lowering the cost to actually play the game.

Holiday

Banned
It's hard to get very excited for hockey tonight. But I expect the Blues to ggive up 5 even-strength goals, Chicago to give up 5 powerplay goals, and a shootout that goes 7 rounds.

The thing is, who wants to buy the team? Are they trying to keep it within BC, or are they willing to go outside the lines?

6th most valuable team in the NHL in 2015, just behind Boston (of course).

It's already down from 2014 and will likely keep dropping if the Canadian dollar doesn't recover and the team continues to underperform. I think there are quite a few buyers who would be interested in the team, but are probably waiting for them to bottom out first.

And I highly doubt they would ever move. Vancouver is fickle and fairweather, but hockey is still king here.

Pikma

Banned
Stars are 2-5-3 in their last 10, there's only one team that's doing worse, Canucks.

Nothing was done to address the crystal clear issues the team had, in fact it was the complete opposite, not only did they let go a solid d-man and replaced him with a cheaper option, the team also lost a huge amount of offensive depth.

All of this + a couple of injuries explains how this came to be.

The season is over for all I care, cannot see how the pathetic defense can suddenly stop handing out powerplay and shorthanded goals like candies, cannot see how the inexperienced and, most importantly, ineffective forwards can start scoring when needed and I sure ass hell cannot see how the goalies can start doing their respective job.

I know it's still too early, but given what I've seen so far and the history this team has, I just can't get excited at all.

Line_HTX

Something something league will watch for "any shenanigans" in the Nucks Leafs rematch on December 3rd.

Didn't know somebody said the opponent is "fucking dead."

6th most valuable team in the NHL in 2015, just behind Boston (of course).

It's already down from 2014 and will likely keep dropping if the Canadian dollar doesn't recover and the team continues to underperform. I think there are quite a few buyers who would be interested in the team, but are probably waiting for them to bottom out first.

And I highly doubt they would ever move. Vancouver is fickle and fairweather, but hockey is still king here.

Oh no, I am not doubting that they are staying.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
15032553_10154703796643055_376656550_n.png

Anti-Trump protests all over the country eh.

yyzjohn

Banned
Just to be fair... Toronto had to fail in 9 consecutive seasons of trying to build through trades and free agency, with one moderately successful lockout season, before finally realizing they had to try a clean slate. The Canucks are 4 seasons removed from consecutive Presidents Trophies and SCF game 7 (and 1 season removed from 100 points). Unfortunately these 'come to Jesus' turns take time. Especially when you have teams that haven't had to build through tanking (eg, Red Wings, Sharks).

Yeah it's been 9-10 years, but different ownership groups. The full on rebuild wasn't embraced until Rogers took over in 2012. Burke was fired soon after that and the wheels were set in motion wth Shanahan's arrival later.

Socreges

Banned
We need this every day. It's a little bit of hope.
Unfortunately apathy will soon take over and Trump will become the new normal. 😑 People need to get involved on a more permanent basis. Flash protests won't make a difference.

There are such deep-rooted problems at the heart of this. The shrinking middle class, globalization (related), education, lack of political engagement, and an information/news media that ensures people only hear what they want to hear. We participate in communities and are delivered information that validate our existing beliefs. But how the fuck do you change that - it's basically how the society is structured to give people what they want.

I know I'm just a lousy Canadian, but a) this affects us and the world a great deal, and b) we suffer from many of the same issues. Thankfully we've kept the monsters at bay so far.

The protest is fine and dandy, but where were those 46% of Americans last night?

Yep. Nice to see them not taking it to the streets but those people should have been voting for Clinton yesterday instead of sitting on their lazy asses thinking this was a done deal.

Socreges

Banned
Yep. Nice to see them not taking it to the streets but those people should have been voting for Clinton yesterday instead of sitting on their lazy asses thinking this was a done deal.
I can't tell if you're mocking Solo here, but the people protesting are probably the same people who voted....

Unfortunately apathy will soon take over and Trump will become the new normal. 😑 People need to get involved on a more permanent basis. Flash protests won't make a difference.

There are such deep-rooted problems at the heart of this. The shrinking middle class, globalization (related), education, lack of political engagement, and an information/news media that ensures people only hear what they want to hear. We participate in communities and are delivered information that validate our existing beliefs. But how the fuck do you change that - it's basically how the society is structured to give people what they want.

I know I'm just a lousy Canadian, but a) this affects us and the world a great deal, and b) we suffer from many of the same issues. Thankfully we've kept the monsters at bay so far.

One of the lowest points in W's presidency was essentially a flash protest of an Iraq war mother. This was right before Katrina. I think it can, and especially in today's social media era it is far easier to spread a message. We can look around the world and see how much a flash protest can change the government. Maybe I'm sipping on some kool-aid after sleepwalking through the day, but I feel like this can send a message with enough repetition.

As far as the deep seated issues we have a problem with radicalization in rural communities. We have entire false news systems through social media, paid speaking tours that hammer the fear of brown and black people constantly. Hell look up any city zoning meetings for mosques and you see the same rage and anger that are directed. There needs to be a way to combat that, how I don't know.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Laine is on fire right now. You know if Selanne's rookie scoring record is broken by Laine the fact that he is also a Finnish player and on the Jets I wouldn't even be mad.

Revenant

As far as the deep seated issues we have a problem with radicalization in rural communities. We have entire false news systems through social media, paid speaking tours that hammer the fear of brown and black people constantly. Hell look up any city zoning meetings for mosques and you see the same rage and anger that are directed. There needs to be a way to combat that, how I don't know.

Not to mention a Candidate who has been able to create and strengthen a base who will happily throw journalism/reporting that criticizes him immediately into the trash. So much feels so fucked after this.

gaming_noob

If JFJ had his way supposedly we would have been rebuilding from the first lockout.

But he was denied.

JFJ were with the Leafs 2003 - 2008. If he had it his way they would have bottomed out and potentially drafted first overall in 2004 or 2005.

Ovechkin or Crosby. JFJ was a genius.

Socreges

Banned
I meant with respect to how the election could have turned out that way, but yeah that too. And I'm sure I don't appreciate just how bad it is.

Top Bottom