• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

sKEAwKZ.png

wYoRbXR.png

Jesus Christ Cherry. How does he still have a job?

Loxley

Shut the fuck up, Cherry. You represent a dark age.

Don't have to worry about that too much with the Blackhawks, as their name is based on an army unit and not actual slang or anything derogatory, unlike the Redskins.

Anyone who's upset about the Blackhawks is just getting way too loaded on social justice soda.

Also welcome to the hockey family.

Good to know, like I said I'm still in the process of learning about the team :)

Strange correlation between the people who should be happy over Trump winning still continuing to be verbally assaulting, derogatory, angry pieces of shit instead of just enjoying a victory and looking forward to the future with a smile and hope.

It's almost like........ they're bad people with hate in their hearts.

Obama wins: "Change we can believe in #hope :')"
Trump wins: "SUCKED IN LEFTIES U PIECES OF SHIT LOLOLOL"

Quick

Banned
Hey gang, so last week I made a post about getting into hockey after seeing a couple of Flyers games in-person while visiting a friend in Philly, but lamented not having a team to root for being in Wisconsin. After watching some games with various teams since then, I think I'm cool with picking the Blackhawks as my team, since they're just a stone's throw away from me in Chicago (I decided my rule of not being able to root for an Illinois sports team was kind of dumb). They seem like a really talented team that are exciting to watch. So now I'm in the process of educating myself about them as a team while at the same time learning the ins and outs of the sport in general.

I caught the tail-end of the game last night against St. Louis and found myself getting really excited with they scored that goal in overtime. Which I guess is a good sign as far as fandom goes XD

Also, arguments about cultural appropriation aside, their goalie masks are badass as shit:

I'd say that, of all the Native American-themed teams, the Blackhawks are probably the least offensive of them all. The team history should be an interesting read for you on this subject.

Cherry was a pro-Iraq war guy if I recall. Not surprising, and the dude never gave a fuck about keeping his dumb ideas to himself. The deep south isn't just a place in America.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cherry was a pro-Iraq war guy if I recall. Not surprising, and the dude never gave a fuck about keeping his dumb ideas to himself. The deep south isn't just a place in America.

It's called "Alberta" here

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody ought to tell Grapes that fewer people voted for Donald Trump than voted for Mitt Romney. The whole "silent majority" not wanting to admit they were for Trump didn't actually exist. Blue voters just didn't come out in big enough numbers.

Quick

Banned
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT OKAY LET'S GO

NOW, YOU FOLKS NOW I'M ALL ABOUT CANADA, EH. I DRINK MOLSON CANADIAN EVERYDAY, I EAT BACON EVERY MORNIN', AN' I NEVER MISS AN OPPORTUNITY TO YELL AT THEM LEFT-WING KOOKS, EH.

SPEAKIN' OF LEFT-WING KOOKS, YOU ALL SEE THE ELECTIONS IN THE US? DONNY TRUMP WON AGAINST THAT HILLARY CLINTON WOMAN EH, BOY GOOD ON HIM, EH. YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT A WOMAN RUNNIN' AN ENTIRE COUNTRY, EH. WOMEN DON'T WEAR SUITS, THEY GET ALL WEIRD AN' EMOTIONAL, EH. YOU CAN'T BE HAVIN' A CRYIN' WOMAN BEIN' THE LEADER OF A NATION, FOLKS.

NOW, YOU GOT A WHOLE BUNCHA WHINY LEFT-WING KOOKS CRYIN' OUT AN' WANTIN' TO MOVE TO CANADA. BOY, LET ME TELL YOU, STAY AWAY FROM HERE. WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE OF YOU FUNNY-LOOKIN', HOT-DOGGIN', KOOKY-LOOKIN' KOOKS KOOKIN' 'ROUND HERE, EH. WHY DON'T YOU ALL GET JOBS AN' STOP MAKIN' AMERICA CLASSLESS, EH.

YOU KNOW DONNY TRUMP'S ALWAYS SAYIN' HE WANTS TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN? BOY, IF IT MEANS GETTIN' BACK TO THE GOOD OL' DAYS, BOY I'M ALL FOR IT.

NOW LET ME TELL YOU KIDS A STORY: I WAS IN THE BATHROOM WASHIN' MY HANDS, WHEN A BUNCHA LEFT-WING KOOKS RAN IN AN' WENT INSIDE A STALL. THEY LEFT THEIR DOOR OPEN 'CAUSE THEY'RE KOOKS LIKE THAT, EH. ANYHOW, THEY STARTED USIN' TWITTER AN' TELLIN' PEOPLE TO BE LAZY AN' GET OUTTA WORK AN' PROTEST, EH. BOY, THAT GOT ME REAL STEAMED. THAT'S STRAIGHT OUTTA THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO, EH - YOU DON'T WANNA READ THAT. ALL OF A SUDDEN, A WHOLE BUNCHA GOOD CANADIAN KIDS FROM RURAL ONTARIO CAME IN, RAN INSIDE ANOTHER STALL, AN' STARTED USIN' FACEBOOK TO TELL PEOPLE THAT MINORITIES ARE LAZY AN' THEY NEED TO STOP WHININ'. THOSE LEFT-WING KOOKS STARTED CRYIN' AN' ASKIN' FOR HANDOUTS, EH.

THOSE KIDS REMINDED ME OF BOBBY ORR. GOD LOVE 'EM.

doncherry_471.jpg

Socreges

Banned
I don't follow US college sports that closely so I had to look that one up. I'm not really sure

I'm about 1/4 mi'kmaq, if that is what you are wondering
I just didn't think people used the term Native American much anymore, especially in Canada, but I'm sure I'm wrong

On the west coast, liberal kooks as we are, I hear indigenous, first nations, etc. Of course some people still say Indian but they're usually much older and often corrected

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 2h2 hours ago
Hakstol becoming mad line-juggler. Schenn back on top line, Cousins goes from healthy scratch to 3C. Read goes from 1st line to 4th line.

HAKSTOL, JUGGLER OF LINES

PillarEN

Hey gang, so last week I made a post about getting into hockey after seeing a couple of Flyers games in-person while visiting a friend in Philly, but lamented not having a team to root for being in Wisconsin. After watching some games with various teams since then, I think I'm cool with picking the Blackhawks as my team, since they're just a stone's throw away from me in Chicago (I decided my rule of not being able to root for an Illinois sports team was kind of dumb). They seem like a really talented team that are exciting to watch. So now I'm in the process of educating myself about them as a team while at the same time learning the ins and outs of the sport in general.

I caught the tail-end of the game last night against St. Louis and found myself getting really excited with they scored that goal in overtime. Which I guess is a good sign as far as fandom goes XD

Also, arguments about cultural appropriation aside, their goalie masks are badass as shit:

Good choice. The team looks like it has a quality chance of going deep for the next 4 years.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
I don't follow US college sports that closely so I had to look that one up. I'm not really sure

I'm about 1/4 mi'kmaq, if that is what you are wondering

Florida State has an actual deal with the tribe to use both the name and the iconography for athletics.

Silexx

From the guy who fact checked Trump during the campaign:

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8

Getting out of the DC bubble actually made me *more* inclined to think of many Trump voters as motivated by racism and sexism, not less.

Yawnier

Banned
I just didn't think people used the term Native American much anymore, especially in Canada, but I'm sure I'm wrong

On the west coast, liberal kooks as we are, I hear indigenous, first nations, etc. Of course some people still say Indian but they're usually much older and often corrected

I sometimes use aboriginal, first nations, etc. as well. For me it's usually whatever rolls off the tongue easiest

Florida State has an actual deal with the tribe to use both the name and the iconography for athletics.

Huh interesting, in which case I probably can't see there being a problem.

Marvie_3

Banned

Welcome to Hawks-age. Feel free to post questions you might have in here or PM them to me if you feel they're really stupid. :p

You're now obligated to hate the Blues, Red Wings, Michal Rozsival, and Joel Quenneville.

don cherry garbage
Eat a fucking dick, you dinosaur.

Somebody ought to tell Grapes that fewer people voted for Donald Trump than voted for Mitt Romney. The whole "silent majority" not wanting to admit they were for Trump didn't actually exist. Blue voters just didn't come out in big enough numbers.
This. Democrats need to fucking learn to vote. Kills them every time in midterms and now we're stuck with cheeto for 4 years because of it.

Cherry's not wrong about "undecided" voters supporting Trump. GAF isn't representative of the entire voting block, but when threads like "do you actually know anyone voting for Trump" exist in a two-party country, you have to think that they're remaining silent.

I'm disappointed that a country that elected and then re-elected its first black president wouldn't elect their first female president. But the world has changed a lot since then. I definitely think domestic terrorism, Syrian refugees, and Brexit had an effect.

Then I thought about Canada's federal election last year. Yes, we elected a Liberal majority with a more progressive prime minister. You could even draw a parallel with the US election (a prevailing theme was experience vs. change). But the Liberals only got 39% of the popular vote, compared to 32% for the Conservatives; not a huge margin. And remember the Conservatives were dogged with controversy: Mike Duffy and Senate expenses, Robocalls, the niqab, a "Barbaric Practices" tip line, etc. All that and they still got 32% of the vote.

So Canada did better, but not by much.

yyzjohn

Banned
Remember, this is what Rogers is paying him to do. Spit uninformed, xenophobic commentary on Saturday nights.

Nothing he said in those serious of tweets is uniformed or xenophobic. He's just gloating that the guy he liked won. He's also right about how he won, the polls never counted all those people that preferred not to say they were voting for Trump. Unless "left wing weirdo" is xenophobic, there's nothing really that bad about those tweets.

Calamari41

41 > 38

"Native American" is far and away the go-to term in the US

Cake Boss

Banned
Nothing he said in those serious of tweets is uniformed or xenophobic. He's just gloating that the guy he liked won. He's also right about how he won, the polls never counted all those people that preferred not to say they were voting for Trump. Unless "left wing weirdo" is xenophobic, there's nothing really that bad about those tweets.

Yeah he's gloating that the guy he likes who happens to be a xenophobic fuckhole and supports his bullshit and anyone who doesn't agree with him is a 'leftie'.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cherry's not wrong about "undecided" voters supporting Trump. GAF isn't representative of the entire voting block, but when threads like "do you actually know anyone voting for Trump" exist in a two-party country, you have to think that they're remaining silent.

I'm disappointed that a country that elected and then re-elected its first black president wouldn't elect their first female president. But the world has changed a lot since then. I definitely think domestic terrorism, Syrian refugees, and Brexit had an effect.

Then I thought about Canada's federal election last year. Yes, we elected a Liberal majority with a more progressive prime minister. You could even draw a parallel with the US election (a prevailing theme was experience vs. change). But the Liberals only got 39% of the popular vote, compared to 32% for the Conservatives; not a huge margin. And remember the Conservatives were dogged with controversy: Mike Duffy and Senate expenses, Robocalls, the niqab, a "Barbaric Practices" tip line, etc. All that and they still got 32% of the vote.

So Canada did better, but not by much.

Arguably we have two parties splitting the liberal vote though.

Top Bottom