• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2016 |OT| #MakeOilersGreatAgain.

Socreges

Banned
Cherry's not wrong about "undecided" voters supporting Trump. GAF isn't representative of the entire voting block, but when threads like "do you actually know anyone voting for Trump" exist in a two-party country, you have to think that they're remaining silent. (1)

I'm disappointed that a country that elected and then re-elected its first black president wouldn't elect their first female president. But the world has changed a lot since then. I definitely think domestic terrorism, Syrian refugees, and Brexit had an effect. (2)

Then I thought about Canada's federal election last year. Yes, we elected a Liberal majority with a more progressive prime minister. You could even draw a parallel with the US election (a prevailing theme was experience vs. change). But the Liberals only got 39% of the popular vote, compared to 32% for the Conservatives; not a huge margin. And remember the Conservatives were dogged with controversy: Mike Duffy and Senate expenses, Robocalls, the niqab, a "Barbaric Practices" tip line, etc. All that and they still got 32% of the vote.

So Canada did better, but not by much.
(1) Or that people live in bubbles. But no one is contesting that point.

(2) You're making some mildly specious connections imo here. I can't follow the train of thought between the different sentences. :p

(3) Please. Canada has 4 major left-leaning parties that accounted for 67.3% of the vote. So what's your point here? Canada is by no means perfect and we are vulnerable to the same trends happening in the US and Europe, but the false near equivalency stuff is bogus. It's like people are trying to hard to balance the arrogance toward Americans (which itself needs to be tempered).

"Native American" is far and away the go-to term in the US
Yeah I was speaking more to Canada. I figure Ontario uses Native America more commonly because they're more likely to adopt the American lexicon.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Conservatives. The first to always peddle the military and the sacrifice of those who died have become the ones those who we have been fighting.

Conservatism is a cancer.

Quick

Banned
Yeah I was speaking more to Canada. I figure Ontario uses Native America more commonly because they're more likely to adopt the American lexicon.

Not necessarily, though I have heard the term used a few times to incorrectly refer to Indigenous people in Canada.

Quick

Banned
What does Trump think about visors and hot doggin?

LET ME TELL YOU, I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR GOOD CANADIAN KIDS, GOOD ONTARIO KIDS, I'VE SPOKEN TO THEM AND THEY ALL SAY THAT I'M JUST GREAT.

PEOPLE ALWAYS ASK ME ABOUT VLADIMIR PUTIN - PUTIN THIS, PUTIN THAT - AND THERE'S NOTHING MORE TO SAY, I RESPECT HIM, I DON'T KNOW HIM, BUT I RESPECT HIM.

HOT DOGS, THEY'RE GREAT. VISORS, THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL. COME TO TRUMP TOWER AND EVERYONE WILL TELL YOU THAT VISORS ARE JUST GREAT. WE SHOULD HAVE MORE VISORS, AND SOME HOT DOGS TOO. BIGLY.

Pikma

Banned
Looks at these lines:
Benn-Faksa-Korpikoski
Roussel-Seguin-(Eaves)
McKenzie-Shore-Ritchie
Smith-Dowling-Cracknell

Eaves is resting foot

Look at them

Now tell me

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO WIN A GAME WITH THOSE SHIT LINES

But don't worry, Ruff acknowledged something had to be done defensively after the 8 goals allowed the other day and made actual changes
IN: Dowling, Oleksiak
OUT: Nemeth, Lindell
#DALvsCGY
So instead of allowing 8 goals they will now allow 8, nice

Oh but he DIDN'T change everything, some things always end up being the same
Kari Lehtonen has left the ice first and looks like your starter vs. Calgary Flames Thursday.

I just... wow, how can Lindy Ruff be that stupid
I hope this team keeps free falling, they don't deserve any better

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Looks at these lines:

Look at them

Now tell me

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO WIN A GAME WITH THOSE SHIT LINES

But don't worry, Ruff acknowledged something had to be done defensively after the 8 goals allowed the other day and made actual changes

So instead of allowing 8 goals they will now allow 8, nice

Oh but he DIDN'T change everything, some things always end up being the same

I just... wow, how can Lindy Ruff be that stupid
I hope this team keeps free falling, they don't deserve any better

Nolan Patrick, here we come.

Socreges

Banned

the more I think about it, the NBA might be the only league where a minority of athletes support Trump

fucking dumb pro athletes man

They're rich, uneducated and most of them are white

It's simple

pretty much
Lack is now on Twitter vigorously defending himself, saying he wouldn't vote for Trump. In fact he said this 17 hours ago:

Eddie Lack‏ @eddielack 17h
@silent_parts I don't support anyone. I'm a Swedish hockey player I know nothing about politics.

Touché, Eddie

Pikma

Banned
Lack is now on Twitter vigorously defending himself, saying he wouldn't vote for Trump. In fact he said this 17 hours ago:

Eddie Lack‏ @eddielack 17h
@silent_parts I don't support anyone. I'm a Swedish hockey player I know nothing about politics.

Touché, Eddie
Well he isn't lying, it's pretty clear he doesn't

imBask

Banned
i'm fairly sure the VAST majority of americans in the NHL, players and management, voted for Trump

old boys club, grew up in locker rooms, etc

Pikma

Banned
So Eddie Lack (maybe?), Thatcher Demko, Robin Lehner and Seguin (maybe?)

Morgan Rielly liked an Instagram post saying that Trump shouldn't have won ;_;

Found this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gaayLeBwE1FlgdehVbd-lg6l7H8U0-I3QeeHpFDfFto/edit
I don't care about Seguin because we've always known he's a douchebag but this really makes me sad:

SAN JOSE SHARKS
Brent Burns (Follows COUNTLESS pro-Trump people)
Brenden Dillon (?)

I always thought my community would never go that low, seeing how a couple of cases already started showing up I was very wrong.

I just don't feel safe anymore

Socreges

Banned
i'm fairly sure the VAST majority of americans in the NHL, players and management, voted for Trump

old boys club, grew up in locker rooms, etc
Vast is probably too unkind, but it could be the majority

+ Normally grew up in more rural areas
+ Parents normally had money
+ White
+ Dudebros
+ Wealthy, leading to more "I got mine" attitudes

Edit- also, lack of exposure to minorities, which is significant

imBask

Banned
Vast is probably too unkind, but it could be the majority

+ Normally grew up in more rural areas
+ Parents normally had money
+ White
+ Dudebros
+ Wealthy, leading to more "I got mine" attitudes

Majority would've been too obvious since, well Trump won

also I wanna play devils advocate for a second here and say some of the "proof" that these players SUPPORT trump are kinda farfetched... ie : Petry liked a tweet showing a very close race in Michigan (where he's from), Ekblad followed Trump, Patrick Kane lives in a trump building, the bunch of (?)...

I always thought my community would never go that low, seeing how a couple of cases already started showing up I was very wrong.

I just don't feel safe anymore

Yeah I get ya man.

I am a straight white guy but I am not gonna sit around and watch all my friends get ridiculed or beat up or worse. This is so fucked up.

Trump gave these people a voice and legitimized them.

Pikma

Banned

also I wanna play devils advocate for a second here and say some of the "proof" that these players SUPPORT trump are kinda farfetched... ie : Petry liked a tweet showing a very close race in Michigan, Ekblad followed Trump, Patrick Kane lives in a trump building, the bunch of (?)...
Even if we didn't have any proof, odds would still be 80-20 that these guys are Trump supporters, I mean, we don't have proof of Seguin being one but I don't doubt it at all!

Also, did you guys know KingBroly is a Trump supporter too? I regret feeling sorry about him being sad over some stupid sports prediction

imBask

Banned
Even if we didn't have any proof, odds would still be 80-20 that these guys are Trump supporters, I mean, we don't have proof of Seguin being one but I don't doubt it at all!

Also, did you guys know KingBroly is a Trump supporter too? I regret feeling sorry about him being sad over some stupid sports prediction

oh yeah as I said I think it's the vast majority, i'm just saying let's not turn this shit into some weird propaganda for no reason

Socreges

Banned

also I wanna play devils advocate for a second here and say some of the "proof" that these players SUPPORT trump are kinda farfetched... ie : Petry liked a tweet showing a very close race in Michigan (where he's from), Ekblad followed Trump, Patrick Kane lives in a trump building, the bunch of (?)...
That's not how it works.

And yeah, some of the evidence is garbage.

Foggy

oh yeah as I said I think it's the vast majority, i'm just saying let's not turn this shit into some weird propaganda for no reason

Yeah I don't think any campaigns are going to be waged. Sports has a way of constantly reminding people that a lot of these guys aren't the best people, politics or not.

Brent Burns, tho :(

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Nah keep him here where he can feel the most uncomfortable around 'muslims'.

If that's the goal, let's try to ship him to the Leafs ;)

So glad that Canadians smartened up last year and elected the Liberals. Don't think I could've handled both Harper and Trump stroking each other's dicks

Top Bottom