• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Tabris

I think the Flames will be much better this year. They have been in each of their games.

It's funny how when you get rid of a lot of skilled key players and insert a bunch of grinders and youth, you have seen a lot of examples of good returns. It adds an energy and team unity that may have been missing by the star players. They focus on playing more sound hockey (go in and forecheck, backcheck hard, be defensively sound).

Look at Columbus as a good example. Get rid of Nash and they are a better team. Of course Bobrovsky helps, but a lot of those grinders, mid-tier, and youth players are having a big impact.

So I doubt either Flames or Columbus will be tops but I can see them competing for a playoff spot easily.

While Edmonton I think is suffering from taking the opposite approach.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
EUcEUDe.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers 41s
NEWS ALERT: #Flyers will hold a press conference at 11 am at the Wells Fargo Center. It will be streamed LIVE on http://PhiladelphiaFlyers.com
Hmmm. The Flyers did say they were not practicing today either.

@GeorgeRichards: First game v #FlaPanthers RT @DNFlyers: Flyers have fired Peter Laviolette, per a source. Replacing him with Craig Berube. Press confere ...

Troof?

jbug617

Banned
Peter is done.

@DNFlyers: Flyers have fired Peter Laviolette, per a source. Replacing him with Craig Berube. Press conference at 11am.

Curufinwe

Hopefully Berube can keep things afloat while they look for a real coach. Maybe Doug Houda from the Bruins or Willie Desjardins from the Texas Stars.

Not firing Lavi in the offseason was another howler from the Snider/Holmgren brains trust. Almost as bad as overpaying for Bryzgalov.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Firing a coach 3 games into a full season is pretty lol-worthy. Way to waste an entire camp and preseason that a new coach could have spent installing a system.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What they really should have done was fire him after last season.

Chief is now the Chief. Let's see how this turns out...

Curufinwe

Firing a coach 3 games into a full season is pretty lol-worthy. Way to waste an entire camp and preseason that a new coach could have spent installing a system.

It would be a firable offense for the GM to screw this up so badly, except the idiot owner said less than a month ago that last year was an "anomaly" and that they were "thrilled" to still have Laviolette.

Peter Laviolette will not be fired this year so get used to it

This is also lol-worthy.

You'd have a much better pool of candidates to choose from in the offseason, bizarre why this was done now.

Sounds like Holmgren got a "fire or be fired" e-mail from Snider.

Yeah. Homer's likely on a short leash, and given their love of inhouse/former Flyer candidates, the writing's on the wall for a Hextall administration next season.

I would pay good money to see a Hextall vs Roy game.

EDIT: Oh, GM and not coaching? Damn.

EDIT 2: Need more Lavvy slapping the back of a players helmet gif.

Curufinwe

Flyers now have the best coach in the league to combat Roy's glass pushing antics.

6a0168e5984207970c017ee3b35987970d-800wi

And probably the worst coach for everything else.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't stand Babcock.

This is his comment about Tatar, who was placed on the 4th line and played a whopping 9 minutes:

“Normally, I don’t change a winning lineup,’’ Babcock said.” I was just looking for more. I didn’t get it.’’

But, hey, keep trotting out Cleary on the 0-for-8 power play and the 3rd line that's currently a combined -8. Well done.

Saw this quote in Melzter's article on the firing that hit home from Lavy's termination with the Hurricanes:

"It's really not about the last four or five games," Rutherford said. "It's about changing to get the chemistry back on our team, to get the confidence back on our team and make what I would say minor adjustments in a system that really worked in the Stanley Cup year. But teams have adjusted to it, and our team hasn't adjusted over the last couple of years."

Curufinwe

The Toronto game was a bit different cause they were tired and the Flyers came out energized, but any Carolina or Montreal fans who watched the games could tell you how easy their teams found it to beat the Flyers forecheck.

They adjusted, and we didn't.

New coach, hungry team. Cats better come ready to play or it will be St. Louis 2.0. Hopefully Hubey can catch some magic from his last night in Philly.

Giggzy

Good to see Perry score, even if it was handed to him. We're looking better each game and Perry/Getz haven't even warmed up yet. Good times ahead, I hope.

Matthieu Perreault looks great so far. I'm hoping he can stay consistent. I thought the same of Winnik last year but then his production fell off after the first couple weeks. Perreault looks to have made a good connection with Silfverberg, who's also doing well. Two goals in three games. Making life after Ryan pretty easy so far.

My only concern is our defense right now. Beauchemin hasn't looked that good. It's somewhat understandable coming back from his ACL injury, but he needs to kick on from here. Cam has done well, but I still feel he should be doing better. He gets out-muscled a little too easily. I know he's still young but it's his third(fourth?) year in the league, this should be the year that catapults him to the heights that he should be striving for. Vatanen continues to be solid and I really enjoy him in the lineup. He continues to impress from his run of games last season. The big question is Hampus Lindholm. I really enjoyed watching him play in preseason and he slotted in so well last night. I couldn't even tell it was his first NHL game.

And that's my analysis so far. I'm glad hockey is back and I'm looking forward to the home opener on Thursday against the rags :) Should be fun!

Don't like this guy at all but he's 100% right:

EJ Hradek ‏@EJHradek_NHL 13m
It doesn't matter who's coaching, you can't win in the NHL with a patchwork D and average (at best) goaltending. Dog chasing tail in Philly

Did Laviolette deserve to be fired? For sure. Does Philly still have problems with D and goaltending? Without a doubt.

Top Bottom