• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Osorio

We winning tonight if we don't give up a dozen odd man rushes like the first two games.

Otherwise we're getting tossed.

Var

Don't like this guy at all but he's 100% right:

Did Laviolette deserve to be fired? For sure. Does Philly still have problems with D and goaltending? Without a doubt.

Yeah, it doesn't solve all the problems but it is a start. Goaltending has been above average so far I think. If we could score like we should be able to, I think this team is 2-1 at this point.

I've said it before: Lavy isn't a bad coach. His style just wasn't working with this team... Worked fine with Richards and Carter when he needed to fight to control the room for whatever reason, but this group just didn't fit his style. Not excited about Berube, but I doubt he makes it past this season.

I had them making the call in November though. Still, I'm glad this happened now. Unless things change dramatically I expect Homer goes at the end of the season as well.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@LisaHillaryTV: "@davegisaac: Snider says this year was "the worst training camp I've seen."" STRONG words from the owner."

LOL it looks like the players tuned him out at the start of training camp.

Curufinwe

Don't like this guy at all but he's 100% right:

Did Laviolette deserve to be fired? For sure. Does Philly still have problems with D and goaltending? Without a doubt.

You can't win cups with average D and goaltending, but you can make the playoffs. The offense has been worse than the defense so far. Only generated 18 shots against Carolina. I doubt EJ even watched Philly's games so far, he's just trotting out the cliches.

Eh. It's not like a team hasn't put in an interim coach before and then picked up a more permanent one later on.

True but if you're going to replace your coach then fire him and start looking for a permanent replacement instead of sticking some interim coach who may/may not stick.

You can't win cups with average D and goaltending, but you can make the playoffs.

That depends on how your average D and goaltending compare to your competition.

You can't win cups with average D and goaltending, but you can make the playoffs. The offense has been worse than the defense so far. Only generated 18 shots against Carolina. I doubt EJ even watched Philly's games so far, he's just trotting out the cliches.

That doesn't mean he isn't right. Phillys D isn't good and neither is their goaltending. It's clear as day to everyone outside of Philadelphia.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Holmgren has to officially be the worst GM in the league, Philly needs to do a complete house cleaning of all management like Montreal did.

That doesn't mean he isn't right. Phillys D isn't good and neither is their goaltending. It's clear as day to everyone outside of Philadelphia.
Yep, and the biggest joke is Philly has the most expensive blue line in the league.

Holmgren has to officially be the worst GM in the league, Philly needs to do a complete house cleaning of all management like Montreal did.

Yep, and the biggest joke is Philly has the most expensive blue line in the league.

I heard this the other day and almost fell out of my chair.

Definitely the talk of the office today:

jetsfail_medium.gif

Holy shit I wouldn't even want the win off something like that.

Unless it was dirty perry with the giveaway of course

Heretic

Good to see Perry score, even if it was handed to him. We're looking better each game and Perry/Getz haven't even warmed up yet. Good times ahead, I hope.

Matthieu Perreault looks great so far. I'm hoping he can stay consistent. I thought the same of Winnik last year but then his production fell off after the first couple weeks. Perreault looks to have made a good connection with Silfverberg, who's also doing well. Two goals in three games. Making life after Ryan pretty easy so far.

My only concern is our defense right now. Beauchemin hasn't looked that good. It's somewhat understandable coming back from his ACL injury, but he needs to kick on from here. Cam has done well, but I still feel he should be doing better. He gets out-muscled a little too easily. I know he's still young but it's his third(fourth?) year in the league, this should be the year that catapults him to the heights that he should be striving for. Vatanen continues to be solid and I really enjoy him in the lineup. He continues to impress from his run of games last season. The big question is Hampus Lindholm. I really enjoyed watching him play in preseason and he slotted in so well last night. I couldn't even tell it was his first NHL game.

And that's my analysis so far. I'm glad hockey is back and I'm looking forward to the home opener on Thursday against the rags :) Should be fun!
Definitely! Hopefully it's not ruined like last seasons!

TUSR

Banned

What. Seriously...

Curufinwe

Yes he is. Pronger is probably not even going to come back and their next best is probably going to retire in 2-3 years.

If you mean Timonen this might be his final season, and then the signed defenders will be:

Streit - $5.25m
Coburn - $4.5m
Schenn - $3.6
Grossmann - $3.5m

All of them probably overpaid by $500K, but so are a lot of defensemen.

Curufinwe

Unless by "win" he meant win the Stanley Cup he is wrong because the Flyers were the 3rd best team in the East in 11-12 with a patchwork D and average goaltending. Bryz had a SV% of .909. Bob's was only .899.

Once Pronger's career was ended 13 games in, they went with the same main guys they have on D now: Kimmo, Coburn, Meszaros, and Grossmann. The major difference is Streit replacing Carle. Lilja and Bourdon playing 45 games each is the definition of a patchwork defense, but that team had 103 points.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Unless by "win" he meant win the Stanley Cup he is wrong because the Flyers were the 3rd best team in the East in 11-12 with a patchwork D and average goaltending. Bryz had a SV% of .909. Bob's was only .899.

Once Pronger's career was ended 13 games in, they went with the same main guys they have on D now: Kimmo, Coburn, Meszaros, and Grossmann. The major difference is Streit replacing Carle. Lilja and Bourdon playing 45 games each is the definition of a patchwork defense, but that team had 103 points.

Regular season means nothing. I'm a Canucks fan, I should know.

Haven't seen any Flyers games but on paper their defense looks good. Promoting the assistant keeps the system but changes the voice in the room; maybe it will be enough for them to turn it around.

Ok, still not sure how it doesn't mean that right now, their D and goaltending stink something awful.

Flyers were the 3rd best team in the East in 11-12, but then the playoffs happened and they got majorly exposed. The next year they missed the playoffs and now this year they look just as bad, if not worse. The Rangers destroyed them 6 times in 11-12 and they couldn't score to save their lives.

Kimmo Timonen Braydon Coburn
Luke Schenn Mark Streit
Andrej Meszaros Nicklas Grossmann

Timonen's still solid, but is getting worn down and this may be his last season.

Coburn used to be a decent number two when paired with someone better than him. He's been playing poorly for a while and will never be able to anchor a pairing.

ElderSchenn's looked good overall, especially when paired with Timonen. I'd rather see him with Kimmo for the majority of this season instead of being relied on to cover Streit.

Streit'll help offensively, but isn't known for his defense. Unfortunately we've got him locked in for a while, so he'll provide the veteran presence and help keep up the PP after Timonen's gone.

Mesz used to be great, but he's an injury magnet and hasn't been reliable since he's been back. He's getting paid way too much and needs to go.

Grossman's a blocking machine, but who knows how long he'll hold up.

Gus hasn't looked great by any stretch, but looked good last year. Hagg, Morin, and Ghost will hopefully get filtered in in the upcoming years but they're all a ways out.
---------------

They're not as horrible as everyone's made them out to be--as injuries piled up last season, the D that were still playing finally got put into a simplified defensive system and it worked. They're definitely serviceable when the forwards can be relied upon to bail them out, though, which is one of the reasons Lavy had to go.

They're definitely overpaid though--largely because we're still paying Pronger, two aging veterans (as much as I want Timonen to be immortal and play forever, he'll be gone soon,) and the giant injury risk in Mez.

The main problem for the future is losing our workhorse in Timonen. Coburn's not going to step up (aside from flashes of AngryCoburn,) Streit's just going to be wearing down more, so unless Schenn really steps it up, there's going to have to be a pretty big shakeup. They're okay while with have Timonen. We'll see what happens when we don't.

Acid08

Banned
How has Giroux looked Flyers fans? Dude has no points so far and that's kind of pathetic for a player of his caliber. Did he just give up on playing under Lavi?

Var

How has Giroux looked Flyers fans? Dude has no points so far and that's kind of pathetic for a player of his caliber. Did he just give up on playing under Lavi?

The whole top line has zero points. He has had some decent chances so far, but his shot looks way off. It makes me wonder if he is really 100% healed from that finger surgery.

Curufinwe

Ok, still not sure how it doesn't mean that right now, their D and goaltending stink something awful.

Flyers were the 3rd best team in the East in 11-12, but then the playoffs happened and they got majorly exposed. The next year they missed the playoffs and now this year they look just as bad, if not worse. The Rangers destroyed them 6 times in 11-12 and they couldn't score to save their lives.

The goaltending hasn't been awful in any of the three games this year. The transition game and the offense have been the main problems, specifically the trouble they have breaking out and gaining the zone, and their lack of ability to sustain pressure in the offensive end once they get there. One ES goal in three games, and that came from Luke Schenn making an individual move from a faceoff.

Laviolette's system got exposed by the Rangers and Devils in 2012, and the rest of the league started to follow the blueprint last season, but somehow it took till now for the Flyers management to pick up on it and realize a coaching change was required. I perfectly fine with Holmgren been fired for that mistake now, but I suspect it won't happen until they officially miss the playoffs.

You can tell yourself all you want that offense is the main problem, but give that team their offense back and the D and goaltending still sucks.

Curufinwe

You can tell yourself all you want that offense is the main problem, but give that team their offense back and the D and goaltending still sucks.

You can say the goaltending sucks all you want but Mason has a .938 SV% as a Flyer. I'll agree that he sucks when that gets down towards Bryzgalov levels, i.e. .905.

Curufinwe

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 1m
Berube will bring a more defensive style, one that creates offense off its D, Homer says.#Flyers

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 3m
Snider said the #Flyers' training camp was the worst he's seen in 40 years.

Curufinwe

The only Flyers win came against the Leafs in pre-season :(

The camp mightve been horrible but damn, 3 games in the season is still way too early imo.

They should have waited one more game to fire him; then they would have made the Conference Finals this year and won the Cup next year. That always happens when you fire a coach after four games.

Top Bottom