• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Curufinwe

Surprised Homer is still around. Burke to Phi e5!!!

They already have Hextall waiting in the wings.

This video of Laviolette in happier times is pretty funny. Steve Ott takes offense to Giroux asking if he's going to take the faceoff, and tells Giroux that he's "fifth in the league in faceoffs, look at NHL.com". Then Ott and Lavi have an altercation in the tunnel between periods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkHn3ciJxiY

If the Flyers' camp was indeed the team's worst in 40 years, why on Earth would you appoint someone from the same coaching staff that gave you the awful camp to the Head Coach position? Why not clean house?

If Bernier legitimately steals his spot by then I would be okay with this.

I don't think they'll move Reimer this season because Bernier still needs to show he can handle a full season as the 1G - unless the trade bait is just too good. But a 1C? That would suggest Bozak or Bolland moving on, and I'd be surprised if either guy left.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No one will take Bozak unless they're mentally handicap. Guy is overpaid, and has never produced without Kessel, or even hit 50 points.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just to follow up on Philly's expensive D...

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 49s

Flyers have 6 d-men on active roster making $3.5 mil or more this season. No other team has 5; only the Canucks, Lightning and Ducks have 4.

Amazing.

TUSR

Banned
Computer science student sitting beside me has pictures of sonic drawn around his code he's inputting into his IDE.

I don't think he is either, but seems like the closest guy they could get. Not too many legitimate #1 C's out there that people are looking to move.

Yeah if you look at a team that may need solidified goaltending and defense, Colorado looks like they would be the team.

But if Reimer were to be traded by the trade deadline the season, the Maple Leafs fuck over-y of Reimer would be complete.

Curufinwe

Amazing.

Cause no one will trade for Meszaros after his four major injuries, and they can't bury his cap hit in the minors anymore thanks to the Wade Redden rule. But he'll be gone soon. It kills me to see him out there on the 2nd PP unit while Couturier sits on the bench. He made an outstanding pass in this preseason game to set up Hartnell for a PP goal, but I guess they are still trying to showcase Meszaros for a trade.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013010097&navid=sb:recap

fallout

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 49s

Flyers have 6 d-men on active roster making $3.5 mil or more this season. No other team has 5; only the Canucks, Lightning and Ducks have 4.
Amazing.
Not that it's terribly inaccurate or anything, but I find that stat a little misleading as it focuses on what that player happens to be paid that year, rather than what their cap hit is.

I figured as much. Bernier winning the starting job doesn't in any way suddenly make Reimer + Gardiner a hot trade rumor, except maybe in Kyper's eyes.

Yeah and as I said before, I doubt that the Leafs would pull the ultimate slap in the face to Reimer by trading him in the middle of the season.

yyzjohn

Banned
Yeah and as I said before, I doubt that the Leafs would pull the ultimate slap in the face to Reimer by trading him in the middle of the season.

I'd feel much better going into the playoffs with both guys and seeing how Bernier plays before dealing Reimer. I say if Reimer has a good season, he'd make a good offseason trade for a team looking for a goalie. He'll be an RFA as well so his contract will be manageable, similar to how the Leafs got Bernier this past summer.

Curufinwe

Not that it's terribly inaccurate or anything, but I find that stat a little misleading as it focuses on what that player happens to be paid that year, rather than what their cap hit is.

Meszaros actually makes $5.5 million this year; a lot more than his $4m cap hit. One reason he's so hard to trade.

Hunter S.

Damn Colorado gets a visit to Toronto for once in a million years. They have been a bad road team lately. I just hope they reverse that starting tonight because if they do not they will not be a playoff team once again.

yyzjohn

Banned
Damn Colorado gets a visit to Toronto for once in a million years. They have been a bad road team lately. I just hope they reverse that starting tonight because if they do not they will not be a playoff team once again.

They can start it tonight, as long as they go back to being a bad road team tomorrow.

LevelNth

Banned
This Reimer/Bernier competition is already making so many Leafs fans crazy. I read a comment today from some guy saying that the rebound Reimer gave up on Spezza's goal Saturday was actually 'perfect' and 'directed right at his defenseman' who 'flubbed it'.

Never mind the fact it rocketed past Gunner (understandably so) and Bozak scrambled to try to get possesion. Oh right, and it was directed right out into the damn slot!

I still don't get fans that maintain allegiances to players. I love the Leafs above all else. I want who is best between the two goalies, whoever that may be.

This Reimer/Bernier competition is already making so many Leafs fans crazy. I read a comment today from some guy saying that the rebound Reimer gave up on Spezza's goal Saturday was actually 'perfect' and 'directed right at his defenseman' who 'flubbed it'.

Never mind the fact it rocketed past Gunner (understandably so) and Bozak scrambled to try to get possesion. Oh right, and it was directed right out into the damn slot!

I still don't get fans that maintain allegiances to players. I love the Leafs above all else. I want who is best between the two goalies, whoever that may be.

Well I watched the replay several times, it may be intentional or not but it was a perfect pass to Bozak right to the faceoff circle on his left.

LevelNth

Banned
Well I watched the replay several times, it may be intentional or not but it was a perfect pass to Bozak right to the faceoff circle on his left.
If it was intentional, that is a horrific decision especially when you notice both Gunner and Bozak weren't prepared for it (because why would you be!), and if it was unintentional, it goes to his lack of skill to be able to push that into the corner, which both Bozak and Gunner were positioned to go after.

yyzjohn

Banned

I want the best goalie to win too, but anyone who doesn't realize that Reimer was shit on Saturday doesn't really know hockey, or they're a huge Reimer homer. When Bernier came in it was like night and day in net, he settled everything down. Bernier will have nights where he's shit as well, it happens to every goalie who ever played. I just hope they both play to the best of their abilities on most nights, cause the Leafs will be in great shape if that happens.

LevelNth

Banned
I want the best goalie to win too, but anyone who doesn't realize that Reimer was shit on Saturday doesn't really know hockey, or they're a huge Reimer homer. When Bernier came in it was like night and day in net, he settled everything down. Bernier will have nights where he's shit as well, it happens to every goalie who ever played. I just hope they both play to the best of their abilities on most nights, cause the Leafs will be in great shape if that happens.
Agreed. It's early in the competition and no winner is even close to being decided, but Bernier has looked better so far, and Reimer was simply bad on Saturday.

Takao

Banned
Damn, just heard about Laviolette getting fired. I can't say it's a shocker when the team's been mediocre since the 2010 run.

Reimer did not play well but in all fairness to him there was no help from the defense either. But the fact that you have Leaf fans declaring the winner of the goaltending battle after 3 games is just completely absurd.

yyzjohn

Banned
Gardiner + Reimer + his hot wife for Couturier

The Gardiner + Reimer stuff is a total Nick Kypreos made up example of what he thinks it'll take to get a 1C center in Toronto. I listened to the podcast from today, he was just throwing it out there, he has no "source" or anything. In his words "I think Reimer will be gone by the deadline, I can see a Reimer deal plus a Gardiner if they sour on him to get your number 1 center"

cube444

I think the real problem in Philly is Ed Snider, a less senile version of Harold Ballard. I'm guessing he told Holmgren to get rid of Lavi.

You're next Holmy. Time to get the Ron Hextall "Haters gonna hate" gif ready.

Top Bottom