• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There are some good players out from NCAA. Two of the Leafs top players are from the NCAA and I don't think I have to remind you of Quick and Toews either.
There are some really great players from the NCAA, but it's definitely one of the most overrated talent pools. So many kids are hyped up that come out of there and just fizz out and do nothing once they hit the big leagues.

Cake Boss

Banned
Moen in again tonight while Weise is a scratch, wtf? Weise must have some kind of injury / they want to show Moen off in hopes some stupid GM will actually trade for him.

A shit ton more? If he was on the Habs or any other decent team he would have been stuck on the third line playing 10 mins a night with little to no PP time just like A.Gally. Yakupov has been given every opportunity to show his offensive chops, while A.Gally has racked up most of his points at 5 on 5 while been buried on grinder lines. Anyone who would pick Yakupov at #1 in a re-draft for that year is an idiot.

Yeah sure in the redraft, but at that time you have to remember that A.Gally was injured in his draft season and all the pundits n scouts were saying Nail was the clear #1 pick. I am just saying he could do a bit better if he had Subban and Markov passing him the puck instead of Ference, also doesn't hurt to play in the eastern conference.

Red_Man

Yeah sure in the redraft, but at that time you have to remember that A.Gally was injured in his draft season and all the pundits n scouts were saying Nail was the clear #1 pick. I am just saying he could do a bit better if he had Subban and Markov passing him the puck instead of Ference, also doesn't hurt to play in the eastern conference.
Yea, I'm not debating the pick at the time. But it's not guaranteed his points totals would be any higher on a decent team either, most coaches don't throw a 19 year old from junior onto their first PP unit. That being said, his development would no doubt have been better off on another team. He still has the ability to be a great player, but I doubt he becomes that in Edmonton.

Would Yakupov have been able to benefit from an extra year in the OHL?
Didn't look like it, he was too far a head of everyone else. Like most of the kids in Edmonton (Lol Draistial) he was just thrown into the fire. As much as a lot of Hab fans including myself harped on Therrien for his lack of use concerning A.Gally, he has sheltered him well even if a little too much at times.

Quick

Banned
It's boring the shit out of me, however recent or old it is. I give 0 fucks about Moneypuck.

I like stats, but I can only take so much of it. Having an entire special dedicated to it is too much. TSN has an analytics radio show, too. No thank you.

Analytics should only be talked about once you have a boiled down, widely agreed upon statistic like OPS in beisbols.

There are some really great players from the NCAA, but it's definitely one of the most overrated talent pools. So many kids are hyped up that come out of there and just fizz out and do nothing once they hit the big leagues.

Toews, Kessel, Suter, Pavelski, Vanek, Keith and Stastny (if the B/R article I just googled is to be believed) all played at least a season of college hockey.

Quick

Banned
Didn't look like it, he was too far a head of everyone else. Like most of the kids in Edmonton (Lol Draistial) he was just thrown into the fire. As much as a lot of Hab fans including myself harped on Therrien for his lack of use concerning A.Gally, he has sheltered him well even if a little too much at times.

No, neither would Galchenyuk have. They were both dominating like men playing with boys at the draft. Nothing left to learn there.

Fair enough. I guess it's just being thrown in the line of fire in Edmonton vs. Galchenyuk having been shielded in Montreal that makes the difference.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
People are making a big deal out of Weise being out... I had completely forgotten about that whole thing. Lucic sold his soul during the off-season or something anyway, the guy has been invisible.

Solo

Fair enough. I guess it's just being thrown in the line of fire in Edmonton vs. Galchenyuk having been shielded in Montreal that makes the difference.

Yak is also a pure scorer of the Ovi mould whereas AGally is a more rounded playmaker. Two different playing styles altogether.

Red_Man

Toews, Kessel, Suter, Pavelski, Vanek, Keith and Stastny (if the B/R article I just googled is to be believed) all played at least a season of college hockey.
To be fair you can do that for any league and pull out a bunch of star players. I never said no talent came from it, just there seems to be a large amount of bust players from it. I think the format of say the OHL for example benefits players development more than the NCAA as well.

Cake Boss

Banned
CTDlsjg.jpg

SENSSQUATCH...because.

No I agree, I'm not saying that the NCAA is better than the CHL but for what it is it can produce some good talent. The thing is that the US development and the Canadian hockey development are very different. In Canada you have the CHL players going in playing at a high level at 16 while a lot of 16 year olds in the U.S. are still either playing Midgets or Juniors (HS if you're in Minnesota). But even the junior programs here aren't as good as the CHL. Most of the junior players that come out of there are committing to NCAA programs (i.e. Eichel) or going to the CHL.

Top Bottom