• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

I'm expecting Bettman to rig things so Phoenix (Fuck your Arizona name) lands McDavid in a last ditch effort to save that abomination of a franchise.

Nah that's saved for next year's draft. Auston Matthews is a guy many say is in the same tier as McDavid/Eichel, is 6'2 200lbs scoring power forward, and was born and raised in Arizona. He is almost guaranteed to go #1 overall and I will bet money Phoenix gets him.

McDavid is going to go to some other southern team though for sure. Probably Carolina. Eichel to Buffalo, Hanifin to Edmonton.

EDIT: Forgot about Buffalo for a second. Yeah they are worse than Florida and will go #2 overall.

zroid

Banned
eztNQ07.png

>> KHL = recreational league looooooooool

ShaneB

The fact that I have to ask if that's Emma Stone to coordinate with the Yum gif, makes me think the same, It's not a great pic, and I love Emma Stone! =(

Thanks again zroid for pointing out the free Center Ice preview this month! Good sports night tonight, TNF, baseball, and the Caps game!

zroid

Banned
Thanks again zroid for pointing out the free Center Ice preview this month! Good sports night tonight, TNF, baseball, and the Caps game!

No prob, although I've got bad news, apparently the free preview wasn't for all of October, but only till the 14th. So.. I think it's done. :(

Emma Stone is quite good-looking, but I don't particularly like that pose or the overabundance of make-up she's wearing.

She's more attractive when she's not so made up.

So guys, what are some good hockey books to read? Anyone read that Hockey Confidential book by Bob McKenzie yet?

Theo Fleury's book was really, really good. Cannot recommend it enough. I got into hockey a few years after he retired and didn't know much about his career. But that book made me like him more than pretty much any current player. Had a lot of cool stuff about his young life, his budding career, and the personal problems he went through toward the middle and latter portion of his career. Very, very insightful and very well written.

Ken Dryden's was pretty darn boring. I only got through about half of it before putting it down. From what I remember, it is just him going through his pre-game routines leading up to some big conference rivalry game or something. Was not very entertaining. Pretty sure I still have it somewhere but I have no desire to go back to it.

Mike Babcock's book was terrible. You know those dumb 'Murica things people say? Like fuck yeah America, we're the best, all that? Babcock's was 'Nada or something. Just barrages and barrages of "hockey is our game. Canada created hockey. We own hockey. It is our right to win everything. Canada is the best. We deserve to win because we are Canada". Came off so damn entitled and condescending to literally anybody not from Canada. I read the first 15 pages and saw some variation of 'hockey is Canada's birthright' on every other page. If you're Canadian, go ahead and check it out. If not, go ahead and skip it. The way the book is formatted made me struggle to read it anyway, but it was just terrible content-wise as well. I was so happy to dump it at a used book store and use the money to buy some books I actually wanted.

I plan on getting Hockey Confidential at some point. Probably around Christmas.

ShaneB

No prob, although I've got bad news, apparently the free preview wasn't for all of October, but only till the 14th. So.. I think it's done. :(

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Dang it. Guess i'm not watching the Caps game tonight.

=(

Also hello at this Chantal Desjardins lady on Sportsnet who just did the Habs report. What a lovely gal.

Echoing thanks to the book recommendations, have read plenty of football books lately (reading one now!), but my hockey reading has been pretty nonexistent, need to fix that eventually. Saw a new one that focused on the expansion of the league that seemed like it could be an interesting read. Changing the Game by Stephen Laroche

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fuck everything.

O'reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-McDavid-MacKinnon

Sure.
Buffalo laughs at you

Got my PK Subban jersey today that my parents bought me for my birthday. Arrives on the home opener, destiny?
Nice, did it come with an "A"? I bought mine a couple weeks before they announced the captains, so now I have to go get one stitched on mine.

Parch

It is a shame. Has any other team in recent memory so badly squandered talent like the Oilers have?
It's not like they all died. They're still young and just entering their early prime. They still have plenty of career left to improve.

-Hall can be considered one of the best LW in the league
-Eberle is a solid 30 goal RW
-Nuge is just getting over the shoulder problem
-Yakipov is a OV wannabe and still learning.
-Shultz is legit shit. US college talent is overrated.
-Draisaitl is still in diapers.

I'd say the Oiler suckage is due to defence, goaltending, and the rest of the supporting cast more than the drafted young talent.

Tabris

It's not like they all died. They're still young and just entering their early prime. They still have plenty of career left to improve.

I'd say the Oiler suckage is due to defence, goaltending, and the rest of the supporting cast more than the drafted young talent.

For being #1 picks, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov have been very underwhelming. Compare that to the other #1 picks just before them:

Patrick Kane, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares - Stanley Cup Winner, One of the best players in the game, and Franchise Player. (Tavares was in a similar case as EDM for team but he was still able to take the NYI to the playoffs in '13 and almost beat PIT).

And Nathan MacKinnon did more his first year than those EDM players did for years (not statistically but impact wise)

Either Oilers got unlucky and got 3 Eric Johnson's, or their loser culture made 3 Eric Johnson's.*

EDIT - Maybe that's too harsh for Hall but it applies to the other two. Infact, Yakupov is almost Patrick Stefan level.

NCAA has some fantastic players and some legit great talent throughout. Just because Schultz is bad doesn't make the entire system bad.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Buffalo laughs at you

Nice, did it come with an "A"? I bought mine a couple weeks before they announced the captains, so now I have to go get one stitched on mine.

No letter, they ordered it before captains were announced I think.

I still think Hall can be a 40 goal scorer, needs to stay healthy.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wtf are you talking about Tablolz? Hall was in top 10 in scoring last year.

RNH has the most career points of anybody in his draft class, who else were they suppose to draft? While Landeskog is great they need a #1 center more than they need a winger.

Yakupov too, he only trails Galchanyuk in points in that draft class by 3 points, bet your ass he would have put a shit ton more if he played for Habs instead of Oilers and Dallas Eakins.

The problem with the LOilers is that they have no depth after those guys and you get that depth by drafting players after the lottery pick. I haven't seen the Oilers bring up a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder through their system in a long ass time. Even their mid 1st round picks still haven't developed (Klefbom) properly. Their drafting is pure shit after the lottery pick.

Also the goaltending is lulz.

Yeah the Oilers messed up by throwing all their first-round picks straight into the NHL. And while you can't really fault their selections (going for the best available player rather than fulfilling a positional need) they really should've traded one of their young studs to improve another part of their team. Also their picks past the first round have been abysmal.

I'm not totally faulting their goaltending. Yes Fasth and Scrivens benefited from playing for better teams but they're still decent. Then again Fasth is 32 and Scrivens 28 so they're not going to get much better. I don't think they miss Dubnyk but I remember a few Canucks-Oilers games where he was the only reason it wasn't a blowout (when your team is outshot and outchanced by a wide margin you're going to give up some goals).

Their defence is terrible though. Ference is 35 and isn't a top-2 or even a top-4 guy anymore. Schultz is one-dimensional.

Get rid of their front office (Lowe, MacTavish, etc.), can Eakins (is Bylsma available?), send Nurse and Draisaitl back to junior/AHL, and trade Yakupov and/or Eberle. Or just get Torts.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Moen in again tonight while Weise is a scratch, wtf? Weise must have some kind of injury / they want to show Moen off in hopes some stupid GM will actually trade for him.

Yakupov too, he only trails Galchanyuk in points in that draft class by 3 points, bet your ass he would have put a shit ton more if he played for Habs instead of Oilers and Dallas Eakins.
A shit ton more? If he was on the Habs or any other decent team he would have been stuck on the third line playing 10 mins a night with little to no PP time just like A.Gally. Yakupov has been given every opportunity to show his offensive chops, while A.Gally has racked up most of his points at 5 on 5 while been buried on grinder lines. Anyone who would pick Yakupov at #1 in a re-draft for that year is an idiot.

Yeah the Oilers messed up by throwing all their first-round picks straight into the NHL. And while you can't really fault their selections (going for the best available player rather than fulfilling a positional need) they really should've traded one of their young studs to improve another part of their team. Also their picks past the first round have been abysmal.

This is what I was getting at.

**WEISE OUT**

edit: FIRST POST ON THE NEW PAGE so here's a picture of Smiley's people:

germany_2631880b.jpg

Top Bottom