• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I saw this game live in 2010 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzBLkQqBV98

Can't imagine I'd see something more exciting live... my brother flew to Boston for game 6 when the Hawks won the cup. He sat 100 level too, that must have cost a pretty penny but oh so worth it
That's pretty sick. If the Habs ever make the finals, I'll do everything in my power to make it to the Bell Center to see a game. One of those experiences you can't put a price on.

I agree with most of what he has to say.

Context is everything, even in video games. I've been playing Wolfenstein this week and I'm having a ton of fun with it because it is violent and exceptionally dumb in all the right Wolfenstein ways. Although it's only loosely based on something that actually happened, Wolfenstein is a complete work of fantasy to me.

People are able to compartmentalize just about anything you throw at them. As someone who has never faced warfare it is pretty damn easy for me to tuck away any misgivings I have playing some war game. I don't think that in our society any well adjusted person can compartmentalize something like Hatred seeing as how we deal with these things seemingly every day in the western world. I'll also say that aside from the reasons I've talked about before with you guys, GTA has never been something that sat well with me either.

sammich

Calgary has already played 5 games in 7 nights with 2 back to backs. Van, Edm, St Louis, Nashville and Chicago. Heard on the radio that the leafs have like 18 back to back games this year. Why does it seem like thats the norm this year. Its crazy high compared to previous years it seems.

Osorio

Larsson watch:

Scratched again

I've been mentioning Larsson but it's also interesting to note that Brunner has been a healthy scratch for those 3 games too

I think trades are looming

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
7 games in 11 days stretch to start the season. It's been about a week and they already have their second back-to-back.

fuck off NHL
They have tended to have pretty sparse schedules to start the last few seasons, so this is a big change of pace. Chara needs an IV with Ensure in it after games already, or maybe just a 20oz Coke on the bench.

Calgary has already played 5 games in 7 nights with 2 back to backs. Van, Edm, St Louis, Nashville and Chicago. Heard on the radio that the leafs have like 18 back to back games this year. Why does it seem like thats the norm this year. Its crazy high compared to previous years it seems.

Kings have 9.

Red_Man

Larsson watch:

Scratched again

I've been mentioning Larsson but it's also interesting to note that Brunner has been a healthy scratch for those 3 games too

I think trades are looming
What would you be expecting back for Larsson? I have no idea how to quantify his value at this point.

Solo

7 games in 11 days stretch to start the season. It's been about a week and they already have their second back-to-back.

fuck off NHL

Bruins almost always have an easy start, so this is a nice change. It seems like every season for the past 4-5 that Boston has only played like 20 games when the rest of the division has played 25.

Osorio

What would you be expecting back for Larsson? I have no idea how to quantify his value at this point.

No idea. I don't want Larsson to be traded at all but that's what looks like is happening. He's upset because Deboer told him he'd play a bigger role this season. Then he gets scratched for the first 3 games.

Perhaps Larsson and Brunner will be traded in a bundle

Stasis

Habs/Bruins tonight, wooo! I'll be watching with a big group of friends so no GAF for me.

Had dinner with her. She's... interesting. Met all these ppl back when I worked for TVA. Too bad I no longer have connects there, now that they do sports officially.

No idea. I don't want Larsson to be traded at all but that's what looks like is happening. He's upset because Deboer told him he'd play a bigger role this season. Then he gets scratched for the first 3 games.

Robidas and Clarkson for Larsson.

Michael RussoVerified account
‏@Russostrib
Young-looking Dany Heatley: "it's the California sun. Keeps you young." #mnwild #ducks
B0FiWDoIQAAw_9W.jpg

The schedule is pretty dumb, no doubt about it. Although I do enjoy seeing things like the Pens having twice as many points as the Flyers with half as many games played.

I don't think that in our society any well adjusted person can compartmentalize something like Hatred seeing as how we deal with these things seemingly every day in the western world. I'll also say that aside from the reasons I've talked about before with you guys, GTA has never been something that sat well with me either.

Never heard of this game before. It's just an upgraded version Postal? Zzzzzzz.

We're already giving Cammalleri and Clowe 5 mil a piece

No way we're gonna take Clarkson's cap hit after he got that thru sheer luck. Without Elias on his line he'd never have scored 30

He'll score 30 again!

Cake Boss

Banned

I am guessing the return would be similar as to what Turris returned. Top unproven prospect.

Or they go for the change of sceneray trade and do a 1for1 trade for Cowen. Too bad Larsson is RD (EK n Ceci), can he play LD?

Osorio

I am guessing the return would be similar as to what Turris returned. Top unproven prospect.

Or they go for the change of sceneray trade and do a 1for1 trade for Cowen. Too bad Larsson is RD (EK n Ceci), can he play LD?

Yeah he was practicing one-timers on the left this morning

And he usually plays on the left side because he's a righty

PDB sets it up that way.

Red_Man

Any word on if Rask is starting tonight? I assume not seeing as he played last night, and is typically poor against us. I assume Julien is trying to use our Budaj strategy against us.

Makes a good point. That being said, I was watching the Hatred trailer with the sound off (I was listening to music) and right when he started killing people I said "what the fuck" and watched it from the beginning with the sound on. The way you execute people in that game is above other levels for most popular violent games (GTA, etc) and the context is pretty fucked. We have so many conversations about mental health and people committing mass murders, and then we have this which literally glorifies that behavior to a literal level (according to the trailer - the motive is to kill people and yourself, no other goal). Weird shit. This game will pass and something else will pop up. Wasn't there some sort of 9/11 or similar game that was allegedly coming out? or maybe a flash game, but still.

I don't think I'd be able to work on a project like that game and be happy about it

imBask

Banned
So Boston plays their sixth game of the season tonight, right?

Wild haven't even played their third yet. This is bullshit.

don't worry, Boston will play once every 3 day for the last month of the season and then complain that they had the "worst schedule". They do that every year

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Kostka for Larsson, straight up!

Tell you what, I'll even throw in, umm, Chris Mueller? Yeah, Chris Mueller!

Stasis

You had dinner with my girl?!

Did I quote the wrong post? Did you edit? Did I get fucking crazy confused? :lol

I started responding to this post before a meeting, got called in, and then drove home after work and finally finished it. I have no idea what occurred.

Either way, if Ginette is your girl I dunno what to say. She's definitely outgoing enough for that to be possible and she likes 'em young. Says dirty shit CONSTANTLY. Zero tact. Funny ass woman though, she's known for it.

Stasis

Kostka for Larsson, straight up!

Tell you what, I'll even throw in, umm, Chris Mueller? Yeah, Chris Mueller!

SOLD!

In other news, I'll be watching the Bruins Habs opener here with buddies. Kind of a must-do thing in these parts. Me missing the Rangers game means they'll prolly win. I tend to miss the good ones. I'm always there for the shitshows so I can get extra salty I cancelled plans or didn't accomplish something I should have in order to watch my team fail horrendously at being decent.

TUSR

Banned
No we're not, we're playing our third tomorrow as well. We had the same Saturday-Friday break the Wild had.

Edit: I see Soc had me covered already nvm
My brains all backwards with late night hockey and the Monday vacation.

Pretty bummed out that today isn't Friday.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with most of what he has to say.

Context is everything, even in video games. I've been playing Wolfenstein this week and I'm having a ton of fun with it because it is violent and exceptionally dumb in all the right Wolfenstein ways. Although it's only loosely based on something that actually happened, Wolfenstein is a complete work of fantasy to me.

People are able to compartmentalize just about anything you throw at them. As someone who has never faced warfare it is pretty damn easy for me to tuck away any misgivings I have playing some war game. I don't think that in our society any well adjusted person can compartmentalize something like Hatred seeing as how we deal with these things seemingly every day in the western world. I'll also say that aside from the reasons I've talked about before with you guys, GTA has never been something that sat well with me either.

Makes a good point. That being said, I was watching the Hatred trailer with the sound off (I was listening to music) and right when he started killing people I said "what the fuck" and watched it from the beginning with the sound on. The way you execute people in that game is above other levels for most popular violent games (GTA, etc) and the context is pretty fucked. We have so many conversations about mental health and people committing mass murders, and then we have this which literally glorifies that behavior to a literal level (according to the trailer - the motive is to kill people and yourself, no other goal). Weird shit. This game will pass and something else will pop up. Wasn't there some sort of 9/11 or similar game that was allegedly coming out? or maybe a flash game, but still.

I don't think I'd be able to work on a project like that game and be happy about it
Here is their mission statement from their website

Hatred is an isometric shooter with disturbing atmosphere of mass killing, where player takes the role of a cold blood antagonist, who is full of hatred for humanity. It's a horror, but here YOU are the villain. Wander the outskirts of New York State, seek for victims on seven free-roam levels. Fight against law enforcement and take a journey into the antagonist's hateful mind. Gather equipment of the dead ‘human shields’ to spread Armageddon upon society. Destroy everything on your way of hunt and fight back when it's disturbed...

...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure. Herecomes our game, which takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people’ and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred. Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder. We provoke this question using new Unreal Engine 4, pushing its physics (or rather PhysX) systems to the limits and trying to make the visuals as good as possible. It's not a simple task, because of the game's non-linear structure and a lot of characters on the screen. But here at Destructive Creations, we are an experienced team and we know how to handle the challenge!

Red_Man

This got me thinking, how much of a shame would it be if the Oilers drafted McDavid? By all accounts, their top draft picks from the previous years should be stars by now, but the Oilers have really ruined their development.
Really doubt they'll be this bad all season, seems like it will be a race between Buffalo and Carolina if things keep going badly for them. I want McDavid to go to a team with a great fanbase, Edmonton should be banned from anymore top 5 picks. I hope all their players request trades.

Samyy

Really doubt they'll be this bad all season, seems like it will be a race between Buffalo and Carolina if things keep going badly for them. I want McDavid to go to a team with a great fanbase, Edmonton should be banned from anymore top 5 picks. I hope all their players request trades.

Edmonton has an extremely low PDO of 89 so they should be improving
Also a CF% > 50% combined with that low PDO really suggests that this is just some early bad luck

imBask

Banned
This got me thinking, how much of a shame would it be if the Oilers drafted McDavid? By all accounts, their top draft picks from the previous years should be stars by now, but the Oilers have really ruined their development.

he could always pull a Lindros and refuse to play for them, that would hit that franchise so hard

Red_Man

I'm expecting Bettman to rig things so Phoenix (Fuck your Arizona name) lands McDavid in a last ditch effort to save that abomination of a franchise.

Top Bottom