• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

Clydefrog

43 saves (vs 18 for the other goalie) followed by a shootout win. Goddamn, Quick.

Who needs those stupid little stuffed ET dolls when you have Jonathan Quick?

malfcn

Where+are+my+pants.gif

There it is.
Or broken ankles.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Funny part about PAP's goal last night is it was a better snipe than any goal Vanek scored for us last year. The trade for PAP could be another Bergevin heist, he fits in pretty well with the team, and has some great chemistry with multiple lines.

Solo

The east is even MORE wide open this year with the Isles on the rise, potential dark horses like the Devils, and te Bruins looking like they are on the decline.

5 games played?

wait, not everyone is just playing their third game tomorrow?

... fucking scheduling

And the NHL still doesn't use a points percentage system (like every other league) to make scheduling irrelevant for standings, so good luck getting any realistic view of that when you're 3 or 4 games in hand all year long.

Spl1nter

Somehow get 4th overall and miss out on a legit top 3...
Pavel Zacha who is ranked 4th right now is no joke. The whole top ten is pretty insane with strome and barazal.

So weird seeing Kessel pull a move off successfully. While he has good puck skills I think the combination of his speed and rubber stick makes it hard for him to do. Puck bounces so much.

Samyy

Pavel Zacha who is ranked 4th right now is no joke. The whole top ten is pretty insane with strome and barazal.

So weird seeing Kessel pull a move off successfully.

The best part is that there are so many centers in the top 10.
It probably wouldn't be the worst year to lose a bunch of games.

Looks like Gardiner might be in for tonight

I know it's super early, but the top 10 in the league are really zany right now. Gotta love the weirdness of early season hockey.

top10bwuh0lsgk.png

Can't imagine the standings are going to continue looking like that for too much longer.

congrats TeethMummy! The Islanders are the ones to watch this year.

Heretic

Ducks home opener tonight!!! Woooooo!

Can't make Sunday's game though. Going to be crying at the Stub Hub Center watching Landon play his last regular season game :'(

My tickets including parking might be available for anyone in Ducks-Age. I'll let you guys know.

Ducks home opener tonight!!! Woooooo!

Can't make Sunday's game though. Going to be crying at the Stub Hub Center watching Landon play his last regular season game :'(

My tickets including parking might be available for anyone in Ducks-Age. I'll let you guys know.

Man, it's hard enough to see the OHL team where I live. What's it like to be able to just buy tickets to see an NHL game? Must be amazing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Man, it's hard enough to see the OHL team where I live. What's it like to be able to just buy tickets to see an NHL game? Must be amazing.

It is indeed amazing. The limiting factor is whether or not you can get home from work in time to make it to the arena. But even that only determines whether you will be shown on TV walking in late and be branded as a Typical Southern California Sports Fan Showing Up Late.

But tonight my wife decided she wants to take part in the red carpet ceremony thing so I guess we'll be getting to the Pond three hours early or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

So weird seeing Kessel pull a move off successfully. While he has good puck skills I think the combination of his speed and rubber stick makes it hard for him to do. Puck bounces so much.
Still haven't heard of them in the same sentence as McDavid and Eichel. But a good prospect is a good prospect.

Kinda sucks having such a young franchise sometimes. Our top ten all time scoring list is just full of non-marquee guys. Like Filip Kuba is our #10 in all time scoring. Kyle Brodziak is #8. Of the current top 10, only he and Koivu are still on the team and will continue to climb. Brodziak will probably end up at #6 overall by the end of the year.

Parise is 34 points away from taking the #10 spot. This is only his third season here. Suter might get there this year, but he would have to get 60 points this year - which I doubt.

Still haven't heard of them in the same sentence as McDavid and Eichel. But a good prospect is a good prospect.

McDavid and Eichel have superstar career PPG+ potential. They could become some of the premier talent players in the league.

Zacha, Strome, Barzal, Sprong, and all the other top 10 forwards could become fantastic first line players but won't become PPG more than a season or two, if that. Any team drafting in the top-10 this year is going to come out of it happy. Lots and lots of good players.

Spl1nter

Kind of an unfair comparison when McDavid and Eichel are generational talents. McDavid is the most hyped/best prospect since Tavares. Eichel is right there with him. People forget just how hyped Tavares was coming into the NHL, first player to be granted exceptional status in the CHL. Tavares after his first two years in junior had Crosby level expectations. McDavid and Eichel have top 5 NHL player potential. They can be 100 point players of which there is only Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares (Giroux?, Seguin?, Ovechkin?) right now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How long does it usually take HS to issue an invite after you apply?

Yeah just request another one. They might be flooded right now since they're quite popular. I looked into my account now since I remember there being an option to send an invite, but I don't see it now. Bout the rest of hockeystream GAF? You guys see anything? Send ol Curu an invite?

Socreges

Banned
Kind of an unfair comparison when McDavid and Eichel are generational talents. McDavid is the most hyped/best prospect since Tavares. Eichel is right there with him. People forget just how hyped Tavares was coming into the NHL, first player to be granted exceptional status in the CHL. Tavares after his first two years in junior had Crosby level expectations. McDavid and Eichel have top 5 NHL player potential. They can be 100 point players of which there is only Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares (Giroux?, Seguin?, Ovechkin?) right now.
McDavid is the most hyped player since Crosby. His hype has exceeded Tavares', I'd say.

Spl1nter

McDavid is the most hyped player since Crosby. His hype has exceeded Tavares', I'd say.

Its quite possible. Tavares had a dip in his overall hype because of his skating and amount of time spent in front of scouts. Pretty funny as he is an excellent skater now. His first 2 seasons were better than McDavid. No one really comes close to Crosby but he is an athletic freak and was ready for NHL at 17.

Almost every #1 is mega hyped. Crosby, Kane, Stammer, Tavares, Hall, etc. Kinda goes with the territory.

There is a difference between being hyped at 14 years old and in your draft year. You see that with RNH, Yakupov and this past draft. Ekblad obviously did have hype at 14-15 but that was because he was a man child who looked like a father of 3.

See what is especially crazy about this draft is that Eichel is the best American prospect since Kane, has more potential than Kane, and is at a position that the USA has recently been kind of weak at - center. Sure, we have guys like Pavelski and Stastny and whoever else, but they aren't of the same caliber as the high level wingers the USA has produced like Kane, Parise, Kessel, and so on.

He would be a fantastic #1 pick in most drafts of the last few years. He is a great skater, great shooter, thinks at a high level, and is all around a fantastic player.

And yet McDavid is even better at this time. Crazy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Its quite possible. Tavares had a dip in his overall hype because of his skating and amount of time spent in front of scouts. Pretty funny as he is an excellent skater now. His first 2 seasons were better than McDavid. No one really comes close to Crosby but he is an athletic freak and was ready for NHL at 17.

There is a difference between being hyped at 14 years old and in your draft year. You see that with RNH, Yakupov and this past draft. Ekblad obviously did have hype at 14-15 but that was because he was a man child who looked like a father of 3.

LOLIERS!

RNH is an above average center, and Yakupov is still finding his NHL game; neither seem to know or play any D though. Ekblad may not turn into a franchise defensemen, but I'd argue if he was dominating a game of boys, he's ready for the next step.

Bad luck Oil though. The years they had the 1st overall picks, they arguably picked the top prospect available, but it wasn't what they needed and I'd argue it probably would've been better for them to trade down to a lower pick that would include an NHL player in the deal. I'm sure their fortunes might have been different had it been a Toews, Kane, Stamkos, or Crosby.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't even realise Lucic mimed jerking off as he entered the penalty box last night lol. First game of the season and they're already in his head.

JSR_Cube

From MyNHLTradeRumors today:

Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period: There are rumors that the Oilers are talking about a significant trade. There were more than 22 team representatives watching their game on Wednesday against the Coyotes, including a couple teams with more than one representative. The Blues, Blue Jackets and Maple Leafs had their scouting directors watching.

“I’ve never seen that type of action unless something big is going down,” he said, regarding that many team representatives scouting a game this early in the season, “and I’m not talking about Jeff Petry for a fourth-round pick.”

Jeff Petry is reportedly on the trade black, with the Red Wings among the teams interested. A source said that trade talk around the Oilers has increased. Some speculation involves Nail Yakupov and Jordan Eberle. Nothing appears to be imminent, but trade talks continue.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/10/17/rumors-i-oilers-garrison-and-reimer/

I think the Oilers need to make a move early this year.

Top Bottom