• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

Calamari41

41 > 38
B0oNykJCYAAsy8b.jpg

Kevin Vickers right after he shot the scumbag who stormed Parliament yesterday. Killing a terrorist while wearing a tailcoat? Canadians can rest easy knowing that apparently 007 as played by Michael Caine is watching over them.

TUSR

Banned
Kevin Vickers right after he shot the scumbag who stormed Parliament yesterday. Killing a terrorist while wearing a tailcoat? Canadians can rest easy knowing that apparently 007 as played by Michael Caine is watching over them.

Look at that trigger discipline.

yyzjohn

Banned
B0oNykJCYAAsy8b.jpg

Heard from his brother that the guy had never had to use his gun in like 27 years or something. Fucking comes through in the clutch, a national hero.

Bruins lines at morning skate are the same lines that played against the Sharks

B's will also be playing O Canada tonight like the Pens did.

Heard from his brother that the guy had never had to use his gun in like 27 years or something. Fucking comes through in the clutch, a national hero.

Does everybody in Canada know each other? Everyone is always getting the inside scoop on someone famous (hockey player or whatever) from their brother, cousin, blah blah. I don't understand

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From Friedman's 30 thoughts :

It didn’t register much at the time, but Patrick Roy’s open disappointment during training camp with 2013 second-rounder Chris Bigras and 2014 top selection Conner Bleackley was foreshadowing. The Avalanche fired Rick Pracey last week, their director of amateur scouting, who pre-dated Roy. Tension began when Roy arrived, since Colorado didn’t have Nathan MacKinnon atop their 2013 draft list. Roy made it very clear MacKinnon would be the pick. Can’t argue with that one.

Interesting to know that the Avs didn't originally have MacKinnon at #1, I'm guessing they had Jones there.

Does everybody in Canada know each other? Everyone is always getting the inside scoop on someone famous (hockey player or whatever) from their brother, cousin, blah blah. I don't understand

It seems that way, yeah. Bunch of my friends went to school with the captain of the Maple Leafs, friend of a friend's dad owns the Phoenix Coyotes....etc etc...

It seems that way, yeah. Bunch of my friends went to school with the captain of the Maple Leafs, friend of a friend's dad owns the Phoenix Coyotes....etc etc...

That's pretty cool. I mean that stuff kind of happens here, but it seems way more spread out. really random, but I found out that one of my buddies that came out for Simpsons trivia last Monday is one of the managers at Clickhole (onions Buzzfeed parody site) which is cool since that website is so damn funny. The hockey stuff makes more sense since theres so many players from Canada that are probably growing up in larger/more populated towns... right?

That's pretty cool. I mean that stuff kind of happens here, but it seems way more spread out. really random, but I found out that one of my buddies that came out for Simpsons trivia last Monday is one of the managers at Clickhole (onions Buzzfeed parody site) which is cool since that website is so damn funny. The hockey stuff makes more sense since theres so many players from Canada that are probably growing up in larger/more populated towns... right?

Yeah, especially out west here. I mean Eastern Canada is much more highly populated, but with the amount of hockey players that come out of BC/Alberta/Saskatchewan, especially smaller towns/cities like Prince George, Edmonton/Calgary area, and Regina or Saskatoon, it's just not that uncommon for people to be connected to them in some way.

And that's awesome, Clickhole regularly has me in stitches. I swear that would be my dream job writing ridiculous stuff like that for a living, if I had any kind of actual wit.... =\

From Friedman's 30 thoughts :

Interesting to know that the Avs didn't originally have MacKinnon at #1, I'm guessing they had Jones there.

Almost guaranteed they had Jones. Top flight defender to stabilize their back end as well as all the storyline stuff with his dad playing for the Nuggets. Perfect match at the time.

Wonder what Florida/Tampa would have done then after that. Florida still takes Barkov? Or do they choose MacKinnon? Does Tampa go with Barkov or Drouin depending on who is left?

Kind of fun to think about.

Yeah, especially out west here. I mean Eastern Canada is much more highly populated, but with the amount of hockey players that come out of BC/Alberta/Saskatchewan, especially smaller towns/cities like Prince George, Edmonton/Calgary area, and Regina or Saskatoon, it's just not that uncommon for people to be connected to them in some way.

And that's awesome, Clickhole regularly has me in stitches. I swear that would be my dream job writing ridiculous stuff like that for a living, if I had any kind of actual wit.... =\

That's pretty sweet. Even at a mass scale, Canada finds a way to make everything feel homely and close knit. Tommy Wingels is from around here (KIND of) but I didn't/don't know anyone who knew him, etc. Although I heard a good amount of stories about friends of friends that were approached by Kane to fuck/he fucked them. What a life....

It's funny that you say that. I agree with you - being a writer seems to be the best job if you can land something for the Onion. One of my other buddies is a featured player (or something, basically he contributes in smaller ways/sections of the website... so not writing full articles yet) and he said that although it's badass, it's pretty unfulfilling because basically he just writes out his jokes and emails them to someone. Then later they may or may not show up on the website. The dude who works at Clickhole doesn't really write for the site, since he's a manager there. He said it's a lot more fun working for Clickhole vs the Onion, because the voice of Clickhole is "everything is amazing!", whereas for the Onion, the voice you need to write in is more along the lines of "life is shit". I'm bummed they no longer have the Onion in newsstands in Chicago... it is better than most of the bullshit you can pick up on the street and was nice to have a hard copy

Lol, that's just how it is in Canada.

Back East, my brother was friends with Steve Webb (retired NHL goon). My uncle plays rec hockey with Del Zotto's dad.

Out in BC, my coworker went to high-school with the Courtnall brothers and Grant Fuhr (she says the former were massive a-holes). A nun at my church was Trevor Linden's confirmation sponsor. Everyone at my work seems to have run into the Benn brothers at some point.

zroid

Banned
My cousin played minor hockey with Jarome Iginla (I think they have a picture together as kids).

My parents lived in Brantford for a few years when they first immigrated to Canada and their oldest friends in this country live down the street from Wayne Gretzky's family. The friends' elder son used to play street hockey with Wayne's younger brother as kids.

And I've mentioned this before, but I went to elementary school with Steven Stamkos although he's a year or two younger than me so I didn't know him at the time. He's from my neighbourhood anyway.

Delryk

It's crazy...

When I was young and lived just outside of Montreal, my bro and Felix Potvin basically "switched" homes for 2 weeks.. so he lived with me for two whole weeks when he was like 14 (i was 10). of course we played hockey in my basement and he always wanted to be goalie... wonder why! lol.

In 1987, my school won he we got to play/practice with the montreal canadiens at the forum. I *had* a signed Patrick Roy stick -sigh-...

After moving to Burlington, Ont. I met Don Koharski at his complex.. had a few arcades, batting cages and 2 floor hockey rinks we could rent... every month on the weekend, a NHL player would come by and visit the fans.. I met a dozen of hockey players.. but Grant Fuhr stood out for me.. ate with him at the bar and stuff. I think i still have his signed hockey card (i'll try and find it and scan it!)

Literally bumped into Pat Burns at Buffalo during a Buffalo/Habs playoff game and he was super friendly. I replied to him in French when i saw him, dunno if that's why he was friendly or not! LOL

Also met Clark/Gilmour several times at a gas station in Oakville in the late 90s..

can't get more random than this... :)

My cousin played minor hockey with Jarome Iginla (I think they have a picture together as kids).

My parents lived in Brantford for a few years when they first immigrated to Canada and their oldest friends in this country live down the street from Wayne Gretzky's family. The friends' elder son used to play street hockey with Wayne's younger brother as kids.

And I've mentioned this before, but I went to elementary school with Steven Stamkos although he's a year or two younger than me so I didn't know him at the time. He's from my neighbourhood anyway.

I met Jarome at a Tony Roma's in St. Albert once, nicest athlete I've ever met. He was there with his wife(or girlfriend?) and my stepdad at the time just barged up to them and asked for an autograph. He smiled and chatted with us a bit then went back to eating his food.

More random hockey connections:

An Oiler by the name of Zdeno Ciger lived across the street from me briefly in the mid-90s (can't recall exactly when he played). He left the NHL to go back to europe and gave us his pet hamster, who we just named "Ciger".

My cousin's husband taught John Tavares english class in highschool.

It's crazy...

When I was young and lived just outside of Montreal, my bro and Felix Potvin basically "switched" homes for 2 weeks.. so he lived with me for two whole weeks when he was like 14 (i was 10). of course we played hockey in my basement and he always wanted to be goalie... wonder why! lol.

In 1987, my school won he we got to play/practice with the montreal canadiens at the forum. I *had* a signed Patrick Roy stick -sigh-...

After moving to Burlington, Ont. I met Don Koharski at his complex.. had a few arcades, batting cages and 2 floor hockey rinks we could rent... every month on the weekend, a NHL player would come by and visit the fans.. I met a dozen of hockey players.. but Grant Fuhr stood out for me.. ate with him at the bar and stuff. I think i still have his signed hockey card (i'll try and find it and scan it!)

Literally bumped into Pat Burns at Buffalo during a Buffalo/Habs playoff game and he was super friendly. I replied to him in French when i saw him, dunno if that's why he was friendly or not! LOL

Also met Clark/Gilmour several times at a gas station in Oakville in the late 90s..

can't get more random than this... :)

Damn, that's pretty sick.

The closest encounter I've had recently was I thought I saw Q walking around the loop last spring. I did a triple take and then realized it was some white guy with a moustache.

zroid

Banned
I met Jarome at a Tony Roma's in St. Albert once, nicest athlete I've ever met. He was there with his wife(or girlfriend?) and my stepdad at the time just barged up to them and asked for an autograph. He smiled and chatted with us a bit then went back to eating his food.

More random hockey connections:

An Oiler by the name of Zdeno Ciger lived across the street from me briefly in the mid-90s (can't recall exactly when he played). He left the NHL to go back to europe and gave us his pet hamster, who we just named "Ciger".

My cousin's husband taught John Tavares english class in highschool.

That's pretty cool haha

Delryk

Damn, that's pretty sick.

The closest encounter I've had recently was I thought I saw Q walking around the loop last spring. I did a triple take and then realized it was some white guy with a moustache.

lol.

now i live in the boonies and i barely come out for sunlight so i haven't seen met anyone lately.. :(

Oh yeah and Fernando Pisani's cousins lived down the street where I grew up, he used to play/hang out there all the time but obviously I didn't know he would turn into a playoff OT hero one day.

Alucard

Banned
I met Max Talbot's parents at a kid's park around Montreal. Was wearing a Pens shirt and they struck up a convo about it and Talbot.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I ran into Subban at a bar the summer before he joined Hamilton. My brother in law at the time(a Leafs fan), told my cousin, who doesn't watch hockey, to go pick a fight with him. I forget what he said, but Subban laughed it off.

Saw him at Denny's the next morning too.

yyzjohn

Banned

Didn't mean directly, saw an interview with his brother on TV. My bad I wasn't clear.

A guy I used to work with told me a hilarious story about Sergei Zholtok, who played for the Wild a few years ago.

When the guy first came over, the Wild brass wanted to introduce him to the fans in person, so they scheduled a three hour autograph/Q&A session somewhere and invited anyone and everyone to come.

My coworker was the only one that showed up. So he and Sergei chatted for the entire three hours. Coworker explains he works at a factory and likes to go fishing a lot. Sergei says he would like to experience Minnesota fishing first hand and gives coworker his phone number.

Coworker, thinking it was a joke, said (paraphrase) "Yeah, ok. If you want to go fishing, like for real, call me." and gave Sergei his phone number. Sergei crumpled it up and put it in his pocket, so my coworker really thought it was a joke. Like, why would an NHLer want to go fishing in a crappy boat belonging to a guy who made 30k a year?

He got a call the next weekend to go fishing. Sergei brought Wes Walz or Darby Hendrickson(can't remember which one) and someone else(can't remember), and the four of them went fishing together on my coworker's boat.

Cool story.

Heretic

A guy I used to work with told me a hilarious story about Sergei Zholtok, who played for the Wild a few years ago.

When the guy first came over, the Wild brass wanted to introduce him to the fans in person, so they scheduled a three hour autograph/Q&A session somewhere and invited anyone and everyone to come.

My coworker was the only one that showed up. So he and Sergei chatted for the entire three hours. Coworker explains he works at a factory and likes to go fishing a lot. Sergei says he would like to experience Minnesota fishing first hand and gives coworker his phone number.

Coworker, thinking it was a joke, said (paraphrase) "Yeah, ok. If you want to go fishing, like for real, call me." and gave Sergei his phone number. Sergei crumpled it up and put it in his pocket, so my coworker really thought it was a joke. Like, why would an NHLer want to go fishing in a crappy boat belonging to a guy who made 30k a year?

He got a call the next weekend to go fishing. Sergei brought Wes Walz or Darby Hendrickson(can't remember which one) and someone else(can't remember), and the four of them went fishing together on my coworker's boat.

Cool story.

That's pretty awesome :)

ZeroGravity

Almost guaranteed they had Jones. Top flight defender to stabilize their back end as well as all the storyline stuff with his dad playing for the Nuggets. Perfect match at the time.

Wonder what Florida/Tampa would have done then after that. Florida still takes Barkov? Or do they choose MacKinnon? Does Tampa go with Barkov or Drouin depending on who is left?

Kind of fun to think about.
Lightning definitely wouldn't have taken Barkov. He was a stretch from Florida because they couldn't get the center they wanted in MacKinnon.

calder

Last hockey player I bumped into was Toews, he was at the MTS Centre for a hockey canada exhibition a few summers back. He was chatting with some guy in the concourse and nodded politely to my brother and I because we accidentally made eye contact.

I saw young guys like Ovechkin and Horton play a few times during an Under 17 tourney in my small hometown... hilariously at the time I noticed Ovechkin but thought his linemate was way better, can't remember who that was now though.

My parents met Henrik once. They thought it was Daniel.

It's funny because they got his autograph too, and thought the "33" was just "22" with a weird tail (his writing was otherwise illegible).

Last hockey player I bumped into was Toews, he was at the MTS Centre for a hockey canada exhibition a few summers back. He was chatting with some guy in the concourse and nodded politely to my brother and I because we accidentally made eye contact.

"Jonathan Toews, nodding politely"

Is Halo 1/that collection out? Does anyone know if Halo 1 online will feel the same/use the same engine as the original? Is there any gameplay videos/live streaming shit of people playing it? I am really curious to see how it looks

Top Bottom