• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2014 |OT| Leafs Suck, And Then You Die

On the plus side, the Jays don't ever get a rain delay or a rain out.

The Rogers Centre really does look boring compared to other parks. I'm not even sure what they can do to it to make it interesting.

The surrounding area outside could use some fixing, too. There's that one statue of Ted Rogers by one of the entrances that looks really awkward just standing by itself.

I didn't even know that Canada still had MLB teams. I remember the Montreal Expos.

It must suck to watch American teams win the NHL Stanley Cup all the time
with Canadian players.

baseball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>soccer/basketball

Meh.

Hockey>>>>>>>Football>Soccer>>>>Basketball>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>baseball

Baseball is slow as shit.

In basketball, the first 3/4s of the game doesn't matter.

Football might be too dangerous due to CTE though.

Razorskin

----- ------
http://www.gonestreaking.com/

NI3LSPW.png

zroid

Banned
Speaking of the Expos, it's still pretty sad what happened to them in 94. If the season hadn't been canceled in August, they would've been a lock to go deep in the playoffs, and a favourite to win it all. Probably would've turned the whole franchise around.

Spec, you sound like a commie.

You know how I feel about commies.

iPP6O7jmV2yvV.gif

I'm from Minnesota, I like Hockey, I love Neil Young (and have seen him in concert many times), I'ma Gwynne Dyer follower, and I literally just ate Poutine for dinner. So don't make an enemy out of me, I'm as Canadian and Americans get. You'll want to be my friend when we eventually invade Canada to take the Alberta Tar Sands.

Sabres setting records!

The Sabres took a franchise-low 10 shots against the Maple Leafs while getting shut out for the fourth time in six games. They’ve scored just 10 goals through 10 games, the fewest since the 1936-37 Chicago Blackhawks and tied for fourth fewest of all time.

“If we play the way we played last night, I’m sure we’ll break more of those records,” Nolan said. “I’ll take full responsibility for that. Maybe I didn’t push them hard enough. But today’s the day we have to start.

“It’s very, very disturbing. It’s mind-baffling. This is our occupation. This is what we do for a profession, and we have to concentrate on what we do.”

Nolan went through the obligatory line changes during practice, most notably dropping Cody Hodgson to the fourth line. The coach swore at him to “wake up” during a drill. Nolan gruffly said Hodgson is “pretty close” to getting scratched after totaling 11 shots and a minus-7 rating.

I'm from Minnesota, I like Hockey, I love Neil Young (and have seen him in concert many times), I'ma Gwynne Dyer follower, and I literally just ate Poutine for dinner. So don't make an enemy out of me, I'm as Canadian and Americans get. You'll want to be my friend when we eventually invade Canada to take the Alberta Tar Sands.

Confirmation that you read the communist manifesto.

trifelife

I'm not even sure what they can do to it to make it interesting.

Demolish it. It's aged so poorly. The capacity is at least 30% too much, turf is an absolute joke. Statute of Ted is just a kick in the balls.

Fuck Rogers, free the Blue Jays.
Re-sign Melky ;_;

Marvie_3

Banned
Did you watch the World Cup? That shit was intense.
Of course not. Also, "soccer" and "intense" don't go together.

Speaking of the Expos, it's still pretty sad what happened to them in 94. If the season hadn't been canceled in August, they would've been a lock to go deep in the playoffs, and a favourite to win it all. Probably would've turned the whole franchise around.
They over performed a bit that year but they were still a really good team. Definitely had a shot at it.

Alucard

Banned
My two favourite sports are hockey and soccer, so I can't subscribe to the idea that soccer is boring. There are definitely some stinkers, like there are in any sport, but there's generally something to get excited about in every game, and the buildup of play is fun to watch.

Baseball is...yeah. It's fun live because you can do whatever else, but I can't really force myself to watch it that much on television. Still a Blue Jays supporter, but I don't care about the rest of the MLB. I guess I'm more of a Jays fan than a baseball fan.

Alucard

Banned
Of course not. Also, "soccer" and "intense" don't go together.

They over performed a bit that year but they were still a really good team. Definitely had a shot at it.

You missed an awesome World Cup final. I get that it's not for everyone and that there's no chance of changing some people's minds about a sport, though. We like what we like.

Alucard

Banned
Just watched the Age of Ultron trailer. WTF at showing way too much. They pretty much showed every one of the forms you'll get to see of him in the movie. At least, that's the perspective I got.

Alucard

Banned
You just described 80% of Blue Jay fans.

I'm cool with it. I probably described a lot of Leafs, Habs, Pens, Hawks, etc. fans too. Don't think there's anything wrong with that mentality either. If you're watching the games, buying the merch, and helping the team to keep going, who cares?

My two favorite sports are playing hockey, followed closely by watching hockey/watching the Wings win.

My two least favorite sports are baseball, and watching the Wings lose.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Basketball is still the worst, let's be real here folks.

At least Baseball can be exciting at times. Basketball is just broken, half the time is spent watching them walk slowly up the court, or listening to whistles, garbage sport.

Calamari41

41 > 38

At least Baseball can be exciting at times. Basketball is just broken, half the time is spent watching them walk slowly up the court, or listening to whistles, garbage sport.

I can get behind this. Any razor close basketball game can be experienced in its entirety by just watching the last two minutes. And god help you if you're watching the last 5 minutes of a game where one team is up by like three scores. That last 5 minutes can be 45 in real time.

oh yeah, FUBAR you'll probably appreciate this, Burns hit 100 career goals a couple games ago and 300 career points last night.

That's pretty cool. Good for him.

Glad he's working out for you guys in San Jose. Really good guy.

It really blows we had to get rid of him, but without it we would not have had the cap room for both Parise and Suter. Wish him all the success in the world.

Solo

Pro football drives me nuts too. The game itself is great, but its such big business that there are commercials every 2 minutes. That, combined with them reviewing so many fucking plays, kills the flow of the game. In terms of enjoyment for me, its

NHL >>>>>>> Playoff MLB > NFL > Regular season MLB > NBA

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member

Living in a city where basketball is the only major league sport, I fully agree with this sentiment.

Add some obnoxious announcers (mostly locally) and you got yourself an nearly-unwatchable experience.

Stasis

Used to go see the Yankees and Knicks a lot with my dad when I was a kid.

I haven't been to a baseball or basketball game since then, but I have much fonder memories of Knicks games. Maybe it's because we were courtside, maybe it's because of wasps harassing the fuck out of me and my hot dog.

I have no interest in either sport now, neither live nor on TV. Just fond memories. I hope whatever kid I have one day enjoys hockey, boy or girl, because I intend to take him/her to so many games. Just gotta make sure no one ends up a Habs fan in this household. When I met my gf she had a fucking Carey Price poster in her room. When we moved in together that shit was "lost" along the way. Now she's a Rangers fan. Fuckin right.

Interestingly we just bought a house in the same town as Price. Haven't seen him yet. Hope my gf doesn't run into him and become a Price/Habs fan all over again, lol. Her dad texts me whenever we play the Habs and lose. He bought her a Habs t-shirt as a Christmas stocking stuffer last year. This is an ongoing battle.

kingslunk

Pro football drives me nuts too. The game itself is great, but its such big business that there are commercials every 2 minutes. That, combined with them reviewing so many fucking plays, kills the flow of the game. In terms of enjoyment for me, its

NHL >>>>>>> Playoff MLB > NFL > Regular season MLB > NBA

NFL > MLB

Top Bottom