• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
My fantasy opponent this week has Lundqvist. However, I have Kessel, Kopitar, Bergeron, Martin St. Louis (8 SOG!), and some really solid players, so I'm leading 7-5 right now.

Red_Man said:
I don't understand he looked pretty great in preseason but none of that has seemed to carry over to the regular season.

That's why we didn't match that salary you guys offered him. Also, he was on fire in the second half of the season last year. Not so hot in the first half.

He might also only play 30-40 games.

He definitely had a great "holy shit it's halfway through the season I'm in a contract year I better stay healthy and start kicking ass" year last season.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Stupid Flames.
Oh well. At least the Canucks lost.
I actually live quite close to Rogers Arena (Vancouver). Walked by a bunch of fans tonight as they went to the game. It's a shame I can't cheer for the Canucks (anymore).

Pochacco said:
Stupid Flames.
Oh well. At least the Canucks lost.
I actually live quite close to Rogers Arena (Vancouver). Walked by a bunch of fans tonight as they went to the game. It's a shame I can't cheer for the Canucks (anymore).
?

C Jones

Dastardly Jerks said:
Aww yeah - signed up to Gamecentre live last night and got my iPhone plan upgraded with a shitload of data for $50.

Just watched the Rangers@Canucks game just then with a system set up where I had my phone + left headphone in on desk, headset (for incoming calls) on the other and managed to work and get away with watching the game at the same time.

All so I could watch them fall apart... Eh, ah well. Lundqvist looked awesome.
How was the Gamecenter app for you? I'm hesitant to pay $20 for it because the iTunes reviews are horrible.

Manics

Banned
I think MPW might have written this

MPW said:
I’m going to make my point right away so there is no confusion: a serious error was made by management when they decided to sign Erik Cole. This is not an Erik Cole issue as he is a very good hockey player. In fact, at the time, many (myself included) were encouraged when GM Pierre Gauthier signed the power forward to a 4 year deal that would see him earn an average of $4.5M per season.

http://www.prosportsblogging.com/20...-why-the-erik-cole-experiment-is-not-working/

Manics said:
cole-erik_584.jpg

Solo

I'm not worried yet. If they keep playing like they did last night all season, they will win a lot more than they lose. Not gonna be facing a godly Miller performance every night.

Manics

Banned
Solo said:
I'm not worried yet. If they keep playing like they did last night all season, they will win a lot more than they lose. Not gonna be facing a godly Miller performance every night.

That's what I said last night man. As long as the team is putting pressure and getting chances the goals and wins will come. It's when they get totally outplayed and outchanced on a regular basis that you have to start getting worried.

Fei

Cole didn't stand out much last night, but Montreal as a whole outclassed the Sabres for at least the first two periods. They didn't look like they should be in the same league. Habs will be fine playing like that.

Manics said:
That's what I said last night man. As long as the team is putting pressure and getting chances the goals and wins will come. It's when they get totally outplayed and outchanced on a regular basis that you have to start getting worried.
We miss so many chances and empty nets, though... We need a Kulemin. :(

We've got a Cole. And he's gotta wake up.

Montresor

Wendel Clark said:
Komisarek somehow plays every game.

And that's because Komisarek is playing well.

Reimer is starting tonight? Are we going to play him for 82 games or do we seriously think Gustavsson can take on the Bruins?

I'm worried about Thursday. The Bruins play a tight, suffocating, physical defensive game. Hopefully the 2nd line (now I call it the second line, heh) can bail Kessel out.

Montresor said:

Reimer is starting tonight? Are we going to play him for 82 games or do we seriously think Gustavsson can take on the Bruins?

I'm worried about Thursday. The Bruins play a tight, suffocating, physical defensive game. Hopefully the 2nd line (now I call it the second line, heh) can bail Kessel out.

That's been working out great for them this year. IIRC, Leafs won the season series against Boston last year.

The plus side about last nights game was the second line. Kesler barely missed a beat coming back and was as physical and aggressive as before. I think Hodgson's definitely staying on the 2nd line wing this season. He played very well with Kes, throwing a lot of good chances in front of him, and getting a few good one himself. I think we might've finally found Kesler than legit top 6 winger. He's been a huge improvement over Raymond and Samuelsson. He stays hard on the puck, doesn't give up on the play, and puts everything in it 100%. With Higgins on that line too, I'd definitely consider them the workhorse line,.

Volpatti's also been impressive, as has the entire 4th line. They've all been great with the puck and putting a lot of pressure on the opposing end.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Montresor said:

Was checking HFboards, apparently Gustavsson has a good record against the Bruins:

career 2-1-1, 1.82 GAA, .940 save percentage

Also probably don't want to start him at home yet.

Schenn's being brought up from the Phantoms to the Flyers, Rinaldo and Harry Z heading down.

Was hoping Shelley'd be going, now that the suspension's over. Oh well.

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet. Chicago Wolves sign John Madden. I'm surprised no one in the NHL picked him up though. He still managed to produce last year with the Wild.

Good signing for the farm though. He should be a big impact on our prospects.

Zod the Bear said:
Schenn's being brought up from the Phantoms to the Flyers, Rinaldo and Harry Z heading down.

Question to Flyers fans, why wasn't Schenn on the roster to begin with?

Think it was largely due to a shoulder injury, and Couts/Read/other rookies looking solid in camp meant he could take his time to recover.

Also, by playing in AHL, it cut his salary cap hit down to 1.6ish instead of the 3.1ish it'd been, due to the way his contract was set up by the Kings.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can't wait until the Wings play again on Friday.

At this pace they'll have a whopping 10 games in by the end of the year.

Curufinwe

Solo said:
It's pulling this kind of shit that is going to cost Holmgren a potentially great player when Schenn hits UFA.

More idiocy from the guy who overpayed for Jagr and ruined the Flyers offense by trading Jeff Carter.

Zod the Bear said:

Great news about Schenn being called up. I wish Shelley was gone from the team, they have way more talented people that could take that spot.

Curufinwe said:
More idiocy from the guy who overpayed for Jagr and ruined the Flyers offense by trading Jeff Carter.

I would bet that Schenn understands they dont want to double his salary over a few games, especially when they were not even sure if he would be ready this soon. If he plays well he will get rewarded by the Flyers when his contract is up. The Flyers do give big contracts to young players, so I dont see Schenn being any different.

Edit: LOL at the Flyers offense being ruined without Carter, he has done nothing this year, and their offense has looked better this year then at any point last year. They have 4 lines that all get pressure now. I would do that trade 100/100 times.

Solo said:
It's pulling this kind of shit that is going to cost Holmgren a potentially great player when Schenn hits UFA.
You'd think Holmgren already lost a lot of negotiations powers when he traded away two star players who signed long-term hometown discount contracts.

What incentive does any player have to sign a discount contract with the flyers at this point? Or a contract without a NTC?

Curufinwe

yankeehater said:
I would bet that Schenn understands they dont want to double his salary over a few games, especially when they were not even sure if he would be ready this soon. If he plays well he will get rewarded by the Flyers when his contract is up. The Flyers do give big contracts to young players, so I dont see Schenn being any different.

Edit: LOL at the Flyers offense being ruined without Carter, he has done nothing this year, and their offense has looked better this year then at any point last year. They have 4 lines that all get pressure now. I would do that trade 100/100 times.

Hehe, sorry, I was just being sarcastic in light of last night's 7-goal outburst. I was thrilled, almost giddy, in the GAF NHL thread when they dumped Carter.

Holmgren knows what he's doing.

Curufinwe said:
Hehe, sorry, I was just being sarcastic in light of last night's 7-goal outburst. I was thrilled, almost giddy, in the GAF NHL thread when they dumped Carter.

Holmgren knows what he's doing.

LOL you got me good. I was shaking my head at the thought of a Flyers fan missing Carter.

Solo

brucewaynegretzky said:
Missing three games?

lol

Look at this from Schenn's perspective: your cheapskate boss is sending you to the minors for a few games to take $1M out of your pocket. That's something I wouldn't forget, like Schenn won't. He will talk out of Philly as a UFA, I'd wager.

Solo said:
lol

Look at this from Schenn's perspective: your cheapskate boss is sending you to the minors for a few games to take $1M out of your pocket. That's something I wouldn't forget, like Schenn won't. He will talk out of Philly as a UFA, I'd wager.

LA did the same thing to him. I'm not sure he actually gets paid less either. He knew what he was getting into signing that contract. How many young prospects expect multiple 3.3m contracts starting off? I think you're overestimating the ill will this will create.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Spl1nter said:
kessel has scored 54% of leafs goals. I think we need to find offense from somewhere else tonight against the Jets.

Grabo steps up tonight I hope. As well our liege needs to step up or Montresor might start freaking out.

Manics

Banned
Kave_Man said:
Grabo steps up tonight I hope. As well our liege needs to step up or Montresor might start freaking out.

Let's hope so, that line looked like they started to get it going late in the Colorado game. At least they were getting some chances unlike the first few games.

Spl1nter said:
kessel has scored 54% of leafs goals. I think we need to find offense from somewhere else tonight against the Jets.

The Grabbo line was very slow to start last season plus almost all of them got a hat trick against the Winnipeg Thrashers last season so maybe this will be another beast game for them.

Socreges

Banned
Philly's trades were gambles (dumping proven first-line players for unproven prospects) to afford a sure thing (Bryzgalov). But those gambles could end up really paying off if Voracek and Simmonds flourish soon, and if Schenn and Couturier become excellent players.

I don't see why anyone would think Voracek+Couturier definitely > Carter, though. There's still a lot that remains to be seen.

Socreges said:
Philly's trades were gambles (dumping proven first-line players for unproven prospects) to afford a sure thing (Bryzgalov). But those gambles could end up really paying off if Voracek and Simmonds flourish soon, and if Schenn and Couturier become excellent players.

I don't see why anyone would think Voracek+Couturier definitely > Carter, though. There's still a lot that remains to be seen.

Voracek's numbers weren't that far off Carter to begin with and he was younger (I think...) losing Carter's defensive ability sucks, but Couturier is already playing PK minutes at age 18. Overall I don't really see this being any worse than an even trade. Carter had to go to afford Bryz and most people understood that. The Richie trade however should be evaluated separately and I don't expect that one to ever really make sense. Simmonds is great, but Richie would have been a Flyers HOFer if not an NHL HOFer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom