• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Socreges said:
Philly's trades were gambles (dumping proven first-line players for unproven prospects) to afford a sure thing (Bryzgalov). But those gambles could end up really paying off if Voracek and Simmonds flourish soon, and if Schenn and Couturier become excellent players.

I don't see why anyone would think Voracek+Couturier definitely > Carter, though. There's still a lot that remains to be seen.

you're right on all counts, I think if Couturier fills out in a year or two and learns to play physical he has a ceiling as high as Jeff Carter at least, who really is a one dimensional player. Jeff played better defense for us last year, but all he's really gonna do is snipe wrist shots, he doesn't go down in front of the net, isn't much of a playmaker and doesn't do the little things.

I was happy with all of the moves in the offseason sans dumping Darrell Powe, but never expected things to come together this soon

TheVisualizer said:
you're right on all counts, I think if Couturier fills out in a year or two and learns to play physical he has a ceiling as high as Jeff Carter at least, who really is a one dimensional player. Jeff played better defense for us last year, but all he's really gonna do is snipe wrist shots, he doesn't go down in front of the net, isn't much of a playmaker and doesn't do the little things.

I was happy with all of the moves in the offseason sans dumping Darrell Powe, but never expected things to come together this soon

Um Carter was one dimensional offensively, but he was solid in the defensive zone. Sometimes I think people act as if all forwards are interchangeable in their own zone. We complain about D-men all the time, but forwards who legitimately play well down low get very little respect unless they put up the big numbers on the other end.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kave_Man said:
Grabo steps up tonight I hope. As well our liege needs to step up or Montresor might start freaking out.
From the games I've watched, I've been surprised Grabvoski hasn't done more, he's one of the more entertaining and talented leafs to watch when hes playing well.

Socreges

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
Voracek's numbers weren't that far off Carter to begin with and he was younger (I think...) losing Carter's defensive ability sucks, but Couturier is already playing PK minutes at age 18. Overall I don't really see this being any worse than an even trade. Carter had to go to afford Bryz and most people understood that. The Richie trade however should be evaluated separately and I don't expect that one to ever really make sense. Simmonds is great, but Richie would have been a Flyers HOFer if not an NHL HOFer
Ehh, they were fairly far off. Very similar at the same age, although I'd point out that many of Voracek's points were a product of Nash doing what he does.

Socreges said:
Ehh, they were fairly far off. Very similar at the same age, although I'd point out that many of Voracek's points were a product of Nash doing what he does.

Couldnt you make the same argument about most of Carters points coming because he had so much talent around him in Philly?

Socreges

Banned
yankeehater said:
Couldnt you make the same argument about most of Carters points coming because he had so much talent around him in Philly?
You could make that with pretty much any player on any team. But you haven't watched enough Columbus if you don't see my point here. Many of his goals are opportunities he creates entirely on his own, irrespective of who skates with him. Voracek has been on his line for the most part the last two seasons and 2/3 of his points have been assists.

All I am saying is that it isnt like the Flyers have no offensive talent. Voracek is just filling a role here, one he can hopefully fill better then Carter did. He doesnt have to carry the team or anything. He just needs to crash the net and play good D, so far he is off to a good start, while Carter has re-broken the foot he broke in the playoffs a few years again.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I just looked at the Blue Jackets schedule, the rest of October does not look very fun for them. If they don't beat Ottawa it's quite possible they my enter November without a win. KoruptData picked the wrong damn year to become a fan.

Spire said:
I just looked at the Blue Jackets schedule, the rest of October does not look very fun for them. If they don't beat Ottawa it's quite possible they my enter November without a win. KoruptData picked the wrong damn year to become a fan.
Oh I quit the Blue Jackets, lol. That's the beauty of being a new fan, I have no attachment yet. I switched between the Canes and Caps last night and have been using those teams in NHL 12.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
KoruptData said:
Oh I quit the Blue Jackets, lol. That's the beauty of being a new fan, I have no attachment yet. I switched between the Canes and Caps last night and have been using those teams in NHL 12.

Hahahahahaha, I love you.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
KoruptData said:

BooThisMan.gif

Looks like my captain and Jonsson have competition for team velcro. :p

CCF23

So yeah, I just saw the highlights. The Bruins are fucking morons. Gooning it up because you're losing to the Hurricanes in October? Really?

Really Nathan Horton? You want to rag doll a guy when he's down? Really Zdeno Chara? You want to fight Cam Ward? Really?

...and the fans...You're going to pelt the ice with garbage in a regular season game in October. Really?

I hope the Bruins miss the playoffs.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Epic Tales of Penis said:
Sounds weird but I'm pulling for the Pens on Thursday.

The potential for a Habs meltdown is too juicy to pass up.

Considering the rosters, the Habs should win but anything could happen considering the way they've played sometimes this year. Our offense is obviously crippled and with Letang out and the one non-injured AHLer who was good enough for our 6th spot now injured, our bottom D-pair could be a real dog. Martin and Michalek are going to get insane minutes tomorrow, that much is for sure. There is a small chance we get either Malkin, Kennedy, or Orpik back in time but I doubt it. It looks like we'll ice what is easily our worst lineup of the year so far.

MacAttack

Possible new lines for the Bruins:

Horton-Bergeron-Marchand
Lucic-Kelly-Seguin
Pouliot-Peverley/Krejci-Caron
Thornton-Campbell-Paille

Good idea breaking up Lucic and Horton and it looks like Seguin is going to continue getting top 6 minutes even after Krejci returns given his early performance. I can't wait until Jordan Caron is back to being a healthy scratch and splitting time with Paille.

Revenant

CCF23 said:
So yeah, I just saw the highlights. The Bruins are fucking morons. Gooning it up because you're losing to the Hurricanes in October? Really?

Really Nathan Horton? You want to rag doll a guy when he's down? Really Zdeno Chara? You want to fight Cam Ward? Really?

...and the fans...You're going to pelt the ice with garbage in a regular season game in October. Really?

SALT-5752.jpg

One game on tonight, that's just frustrating.

CCF23 said:

I was kind of hoping to see Milan Lucic mouthing off the one of the refs "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Spire said:
Considering the rosters, the Habs should win but anything could happen considering the way they've played sometimes this year. Our offense is obviously crippled and with Letang out and the one non-injured AHLer who was good enough for our 6th spot now injured, our bottom D-pair could be a real dog. Martin and Michalek are going to get insane minutes tomorrow, that much is for sure. There is a small chance we get either Malkin, Kennedy, or Orpik back in time but I doubt it. It looks like we'll ice what is easily our worst lineup of the year so far.
Have they said if fleury will be in net? I'm assuming he will be.

MacAttack

Solo said:
Pouliot gunning for the top line!

He's been the wing man for hire. He's skated with just about every line. They used him on the line with Lucic and Seguin in the third last night and they had a couple chances. He also subbed in on the first line when Lucic got benched for a shift. There is no doubt he's hustling and throwing his weight around but like the rest of the team can't seem to cash in on good chances.

MikeTyson

Banned
KoruptData said:
Lol, me too. Cbus is in my rear view mirror now.

Spire said:
This would make a Pens victory that much more hilarious.

MacAttack said:
He's been the wing man for hire. He's skated with just about every line. They used him on the line with Lucic and Seguin in the third last night and they had a couple chances. He also subbed in on the first line when Lucic got benched for a shift. There is no doubt he's hustling and throwing his weight around but like the rest of the team can't seem to cash in on good chances.
Looks like the Habs replaced Pouliot with Cole.

Yeah, I'm seriously not going to ruin my first year of being a hockey fan rooting for the Blue Jackets. I thought my hate for anything shitsburg would be idea to root for the Caps out of that conference. I really like their jerseys and color scheme too and their players. I know that's shallow and pretty much bitch like, but hey, I'm new. DC is somewhat close to me out of all the teams. Like I said, I watched the canes also last night and while they are cool, I like the attitude of the caps better.

KoruptData said:
Yeah, I'm seriously not going to ruin my first year of being a hockey fan rooting for the Blue Jackets. I thought my hate for anything shitsburg would be idea to root for the Caps out of that conference. I really like their jerseys and color scheme too and their players. I know that's shallow and pretty much bitch like, but hey, I'm new. DC is somewhat close to me out of all the teams. Like I said, I watched the canes also last night and while they are cool, I like the attitude of the caps better.
I love you man!

KoruptData said:

One problem with rooting for the Caps is you are going to need to pick a new team once the 2nd round of the playoffs starts.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Red_Man said:
Have they said if fleury will be in net? I'm assuming he will be.

They haven't said but I don't see why he wouldn't. I think it's pretty safe to pencil him in.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Montresor said:
TSN.ca is streaming the Jets-Leafs game tonight. Daaaaaamn! Are they streaming all their broadcasts?

Thank you CBC.

Love it, I don't have my laptop yet but now I can comment while watching like a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom