• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manics said:
Gustavsson starts tomorrow in Philly.

:-(

It'll be ok. Leafs and Flyers games are near the top of the league in total goals per game (6.71 and 6), so it's probably going to be a crazy game regardless of who's in net.

Acid08

Banned
MacAttack said:
Everybody can breathe easy, Seguin only has bruise after taking an uncalled slash to the knee. He will be playing on Thursday vs Montreal.
How terribly passive aggressive, I love it.

Montresor

It's a shame Gustavsson just can't get it together. =/ Hopefully he has a good game. It would be crazy nice for the Leafs to start off the season 6-1-1.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Curufinwe said:
ITT or elsewhere? The 4th St Louis goal was a ridiculous screw-up by him and Coburn, but he wasn't the reason we lost the game.

Elsewhere. Gaffers wait until 4 or 5 sub-par games before hitting the eject button.

Manics

Banned
Montresor said:
It's a shame Gustavsson just can't get it together. =/ Hopefully he has a good game. It would be crazy nice for the Leafs to start off the season 6-1-1.
Not gonna happen dude who are we kidding?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just woke up and saw the trades. Thank the fucking lord they sent Enqvist and Palushaj back down, good riddance, Blunden showed the most jam in camp anyways and should have been here before the other two. I would ask what peoples opinions are on Nokelainen is but there aren't any coyote fans here. Scouting report says hes good on faceoffs and a defensive forward which is what JM jerks off to at night so at least he'll be happy.

fallout

Went to my first Jets game last night in 15 years. Holy shit what an amazing scene that place is. I loved the crowd. Lots of Bou-cher chants. The occasional "Go Jets Go" breaking out in the washrooms. Oduya getting a few boos when being announced on the starting line. Standing ovations for a blocked shot.

The game was pretty good, too. Nice to see the offence get spread around a bit (even with Burmistrov continuing to be the backbone). Everyone's saying it, but they really do need to send Scheifele back down. He's got a ton of potential, but it's easy to see that he's struggling to make things happen. EDIT: Ha, just saw that they did it.

I'm going to have to find someone who PVR'd it ... curious to know how that atmosphere translated on TV.

Solo

So I read up a bit. Nokelainen is basically our new 4th line centre and is good at faceoffs. Enqvist sucked, so this makes us better. Blunden > Palushaj, so that too makes our 4th line better.

And the other guy we got (Stafford) is the guy former Habs prospect Perezhogin almost murdered several years ago :lol

Socreges

Banned
Haven't had internet for the last 24 hours. Nice to come back to good news! Canucks win and make a solid trade.

I like Booth. My concern is the $4.25M cap hit for four years if he doesn't work out. But I'm thinking he will. I'd sooner think Booth worsened because of Horton leaving than any longstanding concussion issues. Hopefully he gels well with Kesler. But would putting him with the Sedins be an option?

BTW, looks like the NTC is nullified in the trade.

sazabirules said:
At least there won't be anymore Sturm jokes.
I'm glad we condensed a full season's worth of insults into 3 weeks. It's not Sturm's fault that he can't compete as he once did, but it's a relief to have him gone. Thank you, Florida.

CrazedArabMan said:
Good job by Vancouver on trading a guy a few games into the season after you signed him as a free agent in the offseason. :/

Reminds me of what San Jose did to Seto though he was resigned, not actually newly signed.
You choose interesting people to sympathize with. First the banana-throwing racist, and now Marco Sturm.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Yep. I'm sure he asked for this trade and PG complied.

EDIT: Yes. Fans around the league measure progress in their young talent by them gradually putting up goals and points. Guys like FJ measure Eller by how close his pirouettes are to Katarina Witt or how wicked his stick flexes when he shoots three feet wide.
Yeah dumb fans check the boxscore. Knowledgeable ones actually watch prospects.

Socreges

Banned
Is Eklund the original source of these Canucks/Turris rumours?

Wouldn't make any sense unless we moved Hodgson. Otherwise Sedin, Kesler, Malhotra, Lapierre, Turris, Hodgson. That would be Leafs-level depth right there.

CCF23

Socreges said:
Haven't had internet for the last 24 hours. Nice to come back to good news! Canucks win and make a solid trade.

I like Booth. My concern is the $4.25M cap hit for four years if he doesn't work out. But I'm thinking he will. I'd sooner think Booth worsened because of Horton leaving than any longstanding concussion issues. Hopefully he gels well with Kesler. But would putting him with the Sedins be an option?

Two points...

First, I don't think the contract is an issue. Booth is young enough, and has shown enough in his career so far that this isn't a "last chance" deal where he'll be unmovable if he doesn't live up to expectations. With the NTC being left in Florida, it should be pretty easy to wash ourselves of him if he isn't up to snuff.

Second, I've read from Panther fans that he is a cycle killer. He's not a very good passer. He's a shooter. I don't think he'd work with the Twins. They need someone that can cycle with them.

Is Eklund the original source of these Canucks/Turris rumours?

Wouldn't make any sense unless we moved Hodgson. Otherwise Sedin, Kesler, Malhotra, Lapierre, Turris, Hodgson. That would be Leafs-level depth right there.

I think so, though I will say Eklund has been decent regarding what has gone on with the Canucks. He said for a long time that they were courting Booth, and I read after the trade yesterday that the Canucks have indeed been trying to get Booth for the past 6 months.

Anyway, you can do Turris without trading Hodgson. Turris and Hodgson can play wing.

Tabris

I never see any success with these natural centres playing wing. I'm trying to think of a good example of where it has worked and can't think of one. Anyone have a good example? (not including PP where you have something like Malkin play wing to Crosby or other way around... but a permanent 5 on 5 line)

Solo

Tabris said:
I never see any success with these natural centres playing wing. I'm trying to think of a good example of where it has worked and can't think of one. Anyone have a good example? (not including PP where you have something like Malkin play wing to Crosby or other way around... but a permanent 5 on 5 line)

Cammalleri was a centre who moved to wing and scored 40 goals there for Calgary (and a bunch of playoff ones for Montreal).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So how does it explain you being a retard. Should I mark box "C" for you?
I'm sure you'll take that back if he offers to suck your dick.

CCF23

Tanev for Turris rumours may have some credence. Tanev was a healthy scratch for the Wolves their last game, and again today isn't participating due to a "maintenance day".

As far as I know when the Canucks sent him down he was completely healthy. Seems fishy with all the rumours floating around.

Tabris

Hmm, Cammalleri has one of the best snap/wristers in the game though. Aren't both Cody Hodson and Kyle Turris more playmakers? Any examples of playmakers making the transition from centre to winger?

Socreges

Banned
CCF23 said:
Two points...

First, I don't think the contract is an issue. Booth is young enough, and has shown enough in his career so far that this isn't a "last chance" deal where he'll be unmovable if he doesn't live up to expectations. With the NTC being left in Florida, it should be pretty easy to wash ourselves of him if he isn't up to snuff.
Not without taking on another big contract or giving up some goods, I would guess. That's why I'm just hoping he works out and I really do think he will.

CCF23 said:
Second, I've read from Panther fans that he is a cycle killer. He's not a very good passer. He's a shooter. I don't think he'd work with the Twins. They need someone that can cycle with them.
Yeah, but I also heard he needed to be matched with a playmaker and Kesler is not that. Maybe Hodgson on the second and drop Higgins to the third?

Anyway, the positive here is that Booth is the type of player that the Canucks do not have, but could really use. And there are many different line combinations available to Vigneault.

CCF23 said:
Anyway, you can do Turris without trading Hodgson. Turris and Hodgson can play wing.
Definitely. Hodgson has been at the wing since Kesler came back and will continue to play on the wing. But that's not where I'd ideally want either of them.

Solo

Tabris said:
Hmm, Cammalleri has one of the best snap/wristers in the game though. Aren't both Cody Hodson and Kyle Turris more playmakers? Any examples of playmakers making the transition from centre to winger?

Fair enough. Actually in Cammy's case you could argue that he is a natural winger who played centre until being moved to where he should have played all along :lol

To answer your rephrased question: I can't really think of one...

Socreges

Banned
CCF23 said:
Tanev for Turris rumours may have some credence. Tanev was a healthy scratch for the Wolves their last game, and again today isn't participating due to a "maintenance day".

As far as I know when the Canucks sent him down he was completely healthy. Seems fishy with all the rumours floating around.
How would we be able to afford Turris? Someone would have to go with Tanev to free up space.

And Turris is asking for too much right now. I wouldn't want the Canucks to trade/sign him unless he brought his demand down significantly.

Manics

Banned
So how does it explain you being a retard. Should I mark box "C" for you?
Penis, Jackass, it's Sunday, a holy day. You guys should really be more cordial with each other.

CCF23

Socreges said:
How would we be able to afford Turris? Someone would have to go with Tanev to free up space.

And Turris is asking for too much right now. I wouldn't want the Canucks to trade/sign him unless he brought his demand down significantly.

Turris is only asking for that much because he's forcing his hand to get out of Phoenix. This has been pretty clear for awhile.

Solo said:
So I read up a bit. Nokelainen is basically our new 4th line centre and is good at faceoffs. Enqvist sucked, so this makes us better. Blunden > Palushaj, so that too makes our 4th line better.

And the other guy we got (Stafford) is the guy former Habs prospect Perezhogin almost murdered several years ago :lol

Imagine how much better your 4th line will be once Gomez comes back.

Socreges

Banned
CCF23 said:
Turris is only asking for that much because he's forcing his hand to get out of Phoenix. This has been pretty clear for awhile.
I know, but he'd need to bring it down significantly and I'm not convinced he isn't looking to cash in with whatever team gives up quality to land him. And either way the Canucks would need to send someone else with Tanev. They'd have under a million in cap space to sign Turris otherwise.

Tabris

I like that Gillis takes these players who aren't looking that great (Ehrhoff, Samuellson, Booth) and try to rejuvenate their careers in Vancouver but Kyle Turris has been a perennial disappointment until the last playoffs. He's only a couple moves to being a Patrick Stefan. (that's probably too harsh) Plus the whole centre depth issue. I dunno about that rumour. The only reason I would want Kyle Turris is to get another Vancouver player. If Kyle Turris took $1.5m for 2 years I would say go for it.

I would rather they go for Evander Kane though if they want a Vancouver kid, but of course that would be too expensive.

Don't know why Vancouver would trade Tanev for Turris. It's a trade that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Vancouver's deep and set in the centre position. We seriously don't need anymore top 6 centers prospects. We're also pretty good on wing with Hodgson moving to it and Jensen possibly ready to move up next season.

What we're not deep on is good quality top 4 defensive prospect. I honestly doubt Kevin Connauton will ever turn out into the quality offensive d-man he's supposed to be, and aside from Frank Corrado, who's years away from going pro, Tanev's the best prospect we have on defense. Trading him for ANOTHER top six centreman who won't crack our top six is ridiculous.

SpectreFire said:
Trading him for ANOTHER top six centreman who won't crack our top six is ridiculous.

I think Hodgson plus squad player is possible, though I really have no idea of how well he's measuring up to expectations. Would Gillis make that kind of move? Is Turris really that much of an attractive prospect?

lupin23rd

Saw on Canucks forum someone tweeted we're looking at getting out 3rd rounder back from Anahiem, maybe we're just going to offer sheet Turris?

Cactus

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Saw on Canucks forum someone tweeted we're looking at getting out 3rd rounder back from Anahiem, maybe we're just going to offer sheet Turris?
How much do you offer though? If it's a fair price, Phoenix will just match.

You'd almost certainly have to overspend considerably to have any chance at a successful offer sheet.

Tabris

bonesmccoy said:
I think Hodgson plus squad player is possible, though I really have no idea of how well he's measuring up to expectations. Would Gillis make that kind of move? Is Turris really that much of an attractive prospect?
Kyle Turris was 3rd overall In 2007 being picked over Kane and JVR only. He's been a huge disappointment but the potential is there.

Tabris said:
Kyle Turris was 3rd overall In 2007 being picked over Kane and JVR only. He's been a huge disappointment but the potential is there.

Turris hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet and he's played 2 seasons already (130ish NHL games)

Sens got Filatov for a 3rd rounder, I can't imagine offers for Turris being a whole lot higher.

Tabris said:
I like that Gillis takes these players who aren't looking that great (Ehrhoff, Samuellson, Booth) and try to rejuvenate their careers in Vancouver but Kyle Turris has been a perennial disappointment until the last playoffs. He's only a couple moves to being a Patrick Stefan. (that's probably too harsh) Plus the whole centre depth issue. I dunno about that rumour. The only reason I would want Kyle Turris is to get another Vancouver player. If Kyle Turris took $1.5m for 2 years I would say go for it.

I would rather they go for Evander Kane though if they want a Vancouver kid, but of course that would be too expensive.
Your crazy brah if you think Winnipeg would give up Evander Kane so easily, no matter how little he plays.

MPW

Why did the Canadiens trade for a journeyman centre who wasn’t good enough to play for Boston when the Bruins were lousy?

Because Andreas Engqvist is not good enough to play for a team that’s been mostly lousy through seven games.

the sad truth :(

Tabris said:

Patrick Kane was a natural center before he went into the NHL.

Turris doesn't fit into the lineup. The Canucks have plenty of centre depth and their top nine is pretty good now with Booth and Raymond coming back.

Tanev is also the Canucks' best defensive prospect. I don't see them giving him up. If they're going to make a big trade for a top-4 defenceman (while giving up Ballard maybe) they'll need Tanev's ELC.

Revenant

Tanev for Turris?

:lol

would be a shitty move. Sure "maybe" he could turn it around.

But he's shown nothing so far and trading away a solid D prospect like Tanev for a project doesn't seem worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom