• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October Thread - The Shanabans North American Tour begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Pens getting their first two day rest of the season, before a home-and-home with the Islanders starting on Tuesday. Hope to see Malkin back at some point this week.

Man I totally forgot about Connolly. What a fucking bonus to get off to such a great start and then you drop a #1C into your line-up.

Pens fans will enjoy the same bonus when Sid returns too.

Socreges

Banned
Revenant said:
Tanev for Turris?

:lol

would be a shitty move. Sure "maybe" he could turn it around.

But he's shown nothing so far and trading away a solid D prospect like Tanev for a project doesn't seem worth it.
Eklund.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dastardly Jerks said:
Sucked in hockey fans, the only game today is against Phoenix and Anaheim.

Even I don't wanna watch that.

Barf. I understand only having one game on Sundays during NFL season, but at least make it interesting.

The only exciting aspect of this game so far has been an unlucky crease clear by Fowler and flashes of brilliance from a 3rd line that might just finally be the legitimate 3rd line that Anaheim have been looking for for some time.

Smith-Pelly <3

EDIT: VISNOVSKY! How can anyone deny the point blast of that man.

Tabris

Man I need Getzlaf to get me some points. While it was a no brainer move to trade Kesler for Getzlaf, I still want to feel good about it right away.

EDIT - Whoo!

exarkun

Hey guys, I'm new to the NHL. I want to start watching and supporting a team, but I don't know who to support. I'm from Texas but hate Dallas fans because of how fairweather they are so I don't want to support the Stars. I also don't want to because the Stars are doing really well.

I want to support a team that is down on the rocks and doing not so well (based on last season and a bit of the new season). Decent fans would be a plus, small and dedicated base or large base of pretty decent fans. Maybe a team that used to be pretty good but now is not doing so well. My diehard NHL fan friends recommended the Jets, Islanders, or Panthers. I'm reading their wikipedia pages right now.

Any suggestions? Would like to start watching and rooting as soon as I can so any halp would be appreciated.

exarkun said:
Hey guys, I'm new to the NHL. I want to start watching and supporting a team, but I don't know who to support. I'm from Texas but hate Dallas fans because of how fairweather they are so I don't want to support the Stars. I also don't want to because the Stars are doing really well.

I want to support a team that is down on the rocks and doing not so well (based on last season and a bit of the new season). Decent fans would be a plus, small and dedicated base or large base of pretty decent fans. Maybe a team that used to be pretty good but now is not doing so well. My diehard NHL fan friends recommended the Jets, Islanders, or Panthers. I'm reading their wikipedia pages right now.

Any suggestions? Would like to start watching and rooting as soon as I can so any halp would be appreciated.
The Habs!!!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
exarkun said:

Based on your description I would say Islanders. Rich history, they've sucked for a long time but they have a good young team now and while they won't be dominating this year, they have a bright future. The Oilers are another possibility.

EDIT: Do not become a Habs fan.

Stars are down on the rocks brah, we are at the salary floor. Stars fans are a hardcore bunch, dufferent then Mavs, CowboyS and Rangers fans that started watching when Hamilton won the Home Run Derby.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Amazing shot by Foster.

exarkun: Become a habs fan:) Our arena always has a great atmosphere and it will make you feel why hockey is so popular. Here it replaces religion. But seriously, the Stars were not great last year, so you can root for them really. And it will be more fun for you if you go out with buddies to watch hockey.

Fosters first game as a Duck and he scores. Hell yeah. Huge reach and snap from the point. Impressive.

exarkun, that's very admirable that you don't want to be associated with bandwagoning, but nobody is going to hold it against you if you become a Stars fan. They may be off to a good start, but that might not be the case down the track.

That said, Islanders would be a great team to be a fan of.

Tabris

Islanders are not a good team to become a fan of. They have one of the worst owners in the league. I would recommend Winnipeg Jets. They will start building up a contender now that they have owners that will spend to cap limit.

MPW

exarkun said:

Go-Shania-Go.jpg

welcome to the club

Socreges

Banned
exarkun said:

The Stars' success will not last, I'm pretty sure. Feel free to cheer for them.

Panthers would be a good choice. They just acquired two up-and-comers in Marco Sturm and Mikael Samuelsson. They'll certainly be part of a brighter future in Florida.

RC

Banned
Socreges said:
Panthers would be a good choice. They just acquired two up-and-comers in Marco Sturm and Mikael Samuelsson. They'll certainly be part of a brighter future in Florida.

Don't believe his lies.

Home

Support the Coyotes. They aren't doing great and they have a small, dedicated fan base. Plus, they'll be moving up
North
soon.

I'd put my bets on the Seattle Predators. They're be a great team loaded with both talent, and an ownership group willing to spend to field a cup winning squad.

They also have defenseman of the future Shea Weber.

Tabris

Seattle couldn't support Basketball, they won't be able to support hockey even if 3000ish make the run from Vancouver to watch them. Vancouver - Seattle wouldn't be like Toronto - Buffallo as it's actually Hamilton that drives the support for Buffallo.

Plus Shea Weber won't stick with the Preds.

Marvie_3

Banned
Tabris said:
Seattle couldn't support Basketball, they won't be able to support hockey even if 3000ish make the run from Vancouver to watch them. Vancouver - Seattle wouldn't be like Toronto - Buffallo as it's actually Hamilton that drives the support for Buffallo.
Do you ever have any fucking idea about what you're talking about?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Marvie_3 said:
Do you ever have any fucking idea about what you're talking about?

"No." The answer is "No."

In fact, I'll go as far as to say Seattle would probably support their team better than at least 10 current NHL teams.

Socreges

Banned
Tabris said:
Seattle couldn't support Basketball, they won't be able to support hockey even if 3000ish make the run from Vancouver to watch them.
Seattle supported basketball and could support hockey. They just need a new stadium.

Tabris.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SpectreFire said:
I'd put my bets on the Seattle Predators. They're be a great team loaded with both talent, and an ownership group willing to spend to field a cup winning squad.

They also have defenseman of the future Shea Weber.

You mean Detroit will have "defenseman of the future Shea Weber." He's coming to Hockeytown.

Because I say so.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Tabris said:

Plus Shea Weber won't stick with the Preds.

The Supersonics moving had nothing to do with support, you don't know what you're talking about.

Plinko said:
You mean Detroit will have "defenseman of the future Shea Weber." He's coming to Hockeytown.

Because I say so.
By why would he want to go to Detroit when he's always wanted to play for the Leafs since he was a kid?

Tabris

Spire said:
The Supersonics moving had nothing to do with support, you don't know what you're talking about.

A city not willing to spend money for it's organization and it's facilities = not supporting it.

EDIT - Whoo! Getzlaf killing it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Tabris said:
A city not willing to spend money for it's organization and it's facilities = not supporting it.

EDIT - Whoo! Getzlaf killing it.

It never even reached a vote, it was all politics. Public support for the team had nothing to do with them relocating.

exarkun

The Habs were just described to me as the Yankees of Hockey. I dunno if I could get behind that. Stars have been fairly successful/decent recently so they should be ok fan-wise, they don't need me.

I think I might go with the Islanders. The dynasty article on wiki talks about a lot of Candian teams, and the NHL / hockey is huge there so I would like to contribute to spreading NHL love in the US. Also, I like the islanders' colors. The Jets are another one that I could potentially watch, them and the Sabres despite the Sabre's relatively recent success. Guess I gotta just watch some games.

Alucard

Banned
exarkun said:
The Habs were just described to me as the Yankees of Hockey. I dunno if I could get behind that. Stars have been fairly successful/decent recently so they should be ok fan-wise, they don't need me.

I think I might go with the Islanders. The dynasty article on wiki talks about a lot of Candian teams, and the NHL / hockey is huge there so I would like to contribute to spreading NHL love in the US. Also, I like the islanders' colors. The Jets are another one that I could potentially watch, them and the Sabres despite the Sabre's relatively recent success. Guess I gotta just watch some games.

Please don't follow the Habs. If you want good, non-annoying fans, they're the farthest thing from that.

The Isles have awful management, but they're an interesting team. Edmonton might be a decent bet too. They feel like a young team on the rise.

exarkun

Alucard said:
Please don't follow the Habs. If you want good, non-annoying fans, they're the farthest thing from that.

The Isles have awful management, but they're an interesting team. Edmonton might be a decent bet too. They feel like a young team on the rise.

I would think there would be a ton of Oilers fans. And yea, I am looking for a young team to root for. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
exarkun said:
I would think there would be a ton of Oilers fans. And yea, I am looking for a young team to root for. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

I agree that the Oilers and Islanders would be good choices. I think we have one or two Oilers fans and an Islander fan who pops in every once in awhile.

Cactus

Banned
exarkun said:
The Avalanche are a young team with a good core of potential stars. In fact, I think they narrowly beat the Leafs as youngest team in the league.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
MPW said:
Go-Shania-Go.jpg

welcome to the club
Goddamn it!

Peins, Manics, Wendel, can we have at least ONE post of a hot girl in a Leafs uniform? :(

I ALWAYS see em with the bloody Habs one on. Isn't she even from Timmins Ont or some shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom